Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 04-22-2008, 08:38 PM   #1
Jonnydark
Beast Machine
How would one make an Animated custom?

Hey... i'm really into this new animated look. I was wondering if anyone has perfected a scratch build technique for mimicking the animated style.

I really want to build a Mirage and a Devastator... So any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jonnydark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:21 PM   #2
Nemesis Predaking
Wears Sunglasses at Night
Re: How would one make an Animated custom?

Have not seen anybody try a Animated scratch build yet. Maybe try over at TFW. a lot more scratch builders there.

You know you're an old nerd when you feel the effects of inflation on action figures.
Youtube Twitter
Nemesis Predaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:55 PM   #3
Jonnydark
Beast Machine

cool i was just thinking of posting over there too.

I like how active this customs board is though.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:00 PM   #4
Nemesis Predaking
Wears Sunglasses at Night

TFW is even more active. check out Superquad7, Plowing, Redline. Lobo, Warmachine, AutobotX23, Vector & So many more great Bashes over there.
You can check out mine, Dak's & TTT's work here on Cybertron & TFW.

You know you're an old nerd when you feel the effects of inflation on action figures.
Youtube Twitter
Nemesis Predaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:21 AM   #5
dak
Master Creator

I think the Animated line might be kinda fun to make. Nothing would need to be proper, and there are little amounts of straight lines. There is such a distinct style to it that scratch building one of them would take a lot of thought... or very little depending on who you are.

That being said, I don't think there is any "technique" anyone can come up with to ensure that style. It comes down to your concept idea's and how well you can change a smooth animated drawing into a physical 3D object. again, a little harder than taking a comic character and making a toy out of it, but with a very similar way of thinking needed.

so I think, if you can create a 2D image into a 3D object perfectly, then you have the beginnings to create an animated character.
dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:35 AM   #6
Jonnydark
Beast Machine

nemesis predaking I will totally check those customs out!

Dak that's exactly my problem with the animated line... it is deceptively simple... But all those curvy bits and stuff will be really hard to tool out of styrene. I was almost thinking of doing it out of super sculpy but if you mixed styrene in there would it bake well? Hmm.. I'm not sure..

There is actually a 3d print house in my town... but i'm not enough of a wiz at 3d modeling to come up with toy designs. (besides from everything i've read about transformer design they don't use 3d programs anyways... or at least they didn't)

btw Oakville rules! i was taking art fundies at sheridan ... Now i'm on the waitlist for illustration... i want to go into technical so i can learn how to draw transformers. (or toys in general) If i don't get in i might go to ocad and take industrial design... I freaking love designing things.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:08 AM   #7
dak
Master Creator

I think with a lot of thought, it can work. I like the idea of using a sculpting material to form the parts, but i would not use styrene with Sculpy. Don't put anything plastic in the oven. lol. here's the method I would use, and what I'd prob use if I was going to make one. Use Ball joints from TF's or Bionicals for articulation, use Styrene to form the general body, and then use Bondo (car body filler) to sculpt into to form the body. You could also use Styrene for the whole thing, but make sure it's thick enough that you can take a sander dremel bit to it and round the edges.

I think the the one thing to think of when designing and executing the character is to exaggerate the features. and because of that in your design, you need to make sure all your pieces fit with the exaggerated shapes.

As for the 3D printer, I'm sure there are times when they do use one for the initial concept of the design. There was a guy who made the Hearts of Steel optimus Prime by 3D modeling. Turned out very well too. For me, I like to take the make it with my hands method.

Oakville does rule! lol. I was at sheridan about... 4 years ago??? I took Art fundies, tried to get into Animation, then found out as good as my skills were, they weren't good enough for Sheridan. My style was not their style. So I needed to find another path to follow and ended up where I am now! I love taking an existing design or my own and making it real.
dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:52 AM   #8
StarFire

Use silly putty
Old 04-23-2008, 04:41 PM   #9
jacobot
drone 179

Ya, my kids have been making Animated figures out of Play-Doh since January... Comes in all the right TF colors but they all end up getting squished into proto-form for their trip back into the can lol
jacobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:39 PM   #10
Jonnydark
Beast Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak View Post
I think with a lot of thought, it can work. I like the idea of using a sculpting material to form the parts, but i would not use styrene with Sculpy. Don't put anything plastic in the oven. lol. here's the method I would use, and what I'd prob use if I was going to make one. Use Ball joints from TF's or Bionicals for articulation, use Styrene to form the general body, and then use Bondo (car body filler) to sculpt into to form the body. You could also use Styrene for the whole thing, but make sure it's thick enough that you can take a sander dremel bit to it and round the edges.

I think the the one thing to think of when designing and executing the character is to exaggerate the features. and because of that in your design, you need to make sure all your pieces fit with the exaggerated shapes.

As for the 3D printer, I'm sure there are times when they do use one for the initial concept of the design. There was a guy who made the Hearts of Steel optimus Prime by 3D modeling. Turned out very well too. For me, I like to take the make it with my hands method.

Oakville does rule! lol. I was at sheridan about... 4 years ago??? I took Art fundies, tried to get into Animation, then found out as good as my skills were, they weren't good enough for Sheridan. My style was not their style. So I needed to find another path to follow and ended up where I am now! I love taking an existing design or my own and making it real.

I love how the hearts of steel prime turned out! The price tag for one is unbelievable though.

Man i tried for animation too... Got accepted to seneca but not sheridan. Didn't bother with Seneca though. Sheridan standards are brutal!

I guess they probably do use 3d printers... i was just going off of what the article in pingmag said.

The animated design and the exaggerated look and feel is a must when making a custom. It's going to be really tricky to make it look cartoony and transform... I agree, very think styrene parts that are smoothed down or bondo. (never thought of bondo!)

I have so many bots i want to do... It's getting a little silly... I think i am going to push on one design i really love. I don't want to say who yet cause that will spoil the surprise. Hopefully i can get it done before tfcon.

Any particular bot you think you'll make? or one of your own designs?