PDA

View Full Version : Are there any other obsessive compleatists out there?

Lysist
08-10-2008, 03:16 PM
I was doing a little spring cleaning (so I am a bit late) and I started thinking about my collection. I was cleaning due to the arrival of the three new Binaltechs. I have a fairly small place and so it all just kind of gets jammed in.

Well for some reason I decided to count how many BT/Alt/BT*/KP I have. 62 in total (sorry, I am greedy)

Have anyone of you become obsessed with compleating a line? Gone past with customs or duplicates? MISB examples of ones you have open? Basically, I am curious if I am one of the few or the meny who wondered down the long and frustrating road to collection completion.

Autovolt 127
08-10-2008, 03:20 PM
i just want one of each mold and cool repaints.

Lysist
08-10-2008, 03:29 PM
i just want one of each mold and cool repaints.

So you are a selective collector. Probably the smartest way to collect and lest frustrating/expensive too.

Lysist
08-10-2008, 05:06 PM
wow, by the lack of responces, I am starting to think that I am one of the only compleatists out there. weird

brr-icy
08-10-2008, 07:05 PM
i was for alts, got them all, not bts though, and am trying to be for g1, mps, classics, and animated, but not repaints of another line pretending to be classics.

Optimus_Prime
08-10-2008, 07:12 PM
The only lines that I am nearly a completist with are Classics and Universe 2.0. When I say that, I mean minus convention exclusives, legends and Robot Heroes. Other than that, I try to get all of them.

montague78
08-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Well my obsessive compleatist thingy would be just small goals. ie all the main autobots/decepticons in the TFA show or in the TF movie. or all the dinobots in TFA. I've never been compelled to collect a certain series. Although im slowly finding myself wanting to start a TFA & Classics w/ all their G1 counterparts collection.
A buddy of mine actually has almost every Prime created.

Lysist
08-10-2008, 07:18 PM
i was for alts, got them all, not bts though, and am trying to be for g1, mps, classics, and animated, but not repaints of another line pretending to be classics.

So you are avoiding things like Devistaror or the TRU Soundwave? Or are you talking about the Universe 2.0 line? Or just the random ones that they tack on from any of the other lines?
Damn, sounds like you have an expensive little hobbie.

Does anyone go all out when they try to complete aka Botcon or other exclusives? I dropped just under $300 bucks to get a BT Black Convoy which in most people's minds is verging on insane.

SPLIT LIP
08-10-2008, 07:19 PM
I may go completionist with Animated. Mostly because I am loosing in my battle to resist the Dinobots who I wanted to skip. And Oil Slick.

Shepp
08-10-2008, 07:27 PM
For a long while I've been a selective collector, mainly due to funds and space. However, at one point I was going to try to be a completist for the Cybertron/Galaxy Force lines. That really went south fast.

Since then I've been refining my collection, marking various things to sell and others to keep. Sure, it sounds cool to be a completist, but due to funding and space issues, I found myself asking the same question for varius figures: "Why do I have this one?"

If the answer wasn't that the figure was awesome or I really liked the character, away it went.

Since then my collecting's been more affordable and seems more personal.

Still, it is awesome to see someone with an entire collection lined up, even if just to say "Yeah, that's right. ALL OF THEM!"

Lysist
08-10-2008, 07:47 PM
Starting this post has got me thinking a lot about what a completionist truly means. I am finding that we seem to be all trying to achieve some kind of completion.
-want an entire line
-everything that is in a scale
-a full set of Gi cast of characters modernized.
-everything that was made for a character
-everything that they think is cool

What this means is that I guess we all have our little niche. While I was researching this I came across this:
http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/catching-them-all-minicons-are-go-guide-rant-warni/13021/
(wow, if I win 15 million I might try to do this) sorry some of the pictures are no longer present. Enjoy

miasboytoy
08-10-2008, 08:17 PM
i have completed everything bw and up. still need like 4 jap g1 tfs and some g2 euros stuff other than that you can say i am a completist =o). i kinda ventured into getting variants too which isnt a smart idea. check out my stuff if you have time. actually i havent really touched botcon stuff yet.

Tech Spec
08-10-2008, 08:21 PM
i have completed everything bw and up. still need like 4 jap g1 tfs and some g2 euros stuff other than that you can say i am a completist =o). i kinda ventured into getting variants too which isnt a smart idea. check out my stuff if you have time. actually i havent really touched botcon stuff yet.

^^^ man you're crazy :p

Lysist
08-10-2008, 08:52 PM

I checked your galleries. My condolences for your loss. You guys achieved greatness with that collection. damn, there are some pieces in that collection that most of us might sell our souls for.

Ondoher Prime
08-10-2008, 08:56 PM
i'm pretty much a total compleatist for the binaltech, kiss players, alternators & masterpiece lines; plus the upcoming alternity line.

Lysist
08-10-2008, 09:01 PM
i'm pretty much a total compleatist for the binaltech, kiss players, alternators & masterpiece lines; plus the upcoming alternity line.

So it sounds like your are a High end completist. Do you have everyone or are you still searching?

cannabisprime
08-10-2008, 09:52 PM
I'm on the way to being a completist for the following lines:

1. Masterpiece (only missing Skywarp)
2. Galaxy Force (just missing a few of the scouts and the DVD exclusive giveaways)
3. TRU Commemorative Reissue (only missing Astrotrain)

brr-icy
08-10-2008, 10:06 PM
So you are avoiding things like Devistaror or the TRU Soundwave? Or are you talking about the Universe 2.0 line? Or just the random ones that they tack on from any of the other lines?
Damn, sounds like you have an expensive little hobbie.

Does anyone go all out when they try to complete aka Botcon or other exclusives? I dropped just under $300 bucks to get a BT Black Convoy which in most people's minds is verging on insane.
i have "classics" soundwave, but anything from a/e/c in classics is not going to be in my collection. botcon exclusives are too expensive for me lol

Dark Rage
08-10-2008, 10:42 PM
Completist-ism can be the death of you.
If you want to complete a toy line, buying a lot or loose items really helps out.

I'm currently going for the G1 Masterforce and G1 Victory toy lines, and that'll take me a few years...

I can never imagine myself buying alot of every or a lot of toy lines, it just simply costs too much and I don't think it's really worth it. Like other people have said, it is really worth it to spend $10-15 on a deluxe or scout-class toy you don't really want?

Lysist
08-10-2008, 10:59 PM
Like other people have said, it is really worth it to spend $10-15 on a deluxe or scout-class toy you don't really want?

Hell no, but it is totally worth it to spend $170 on three Binaltechs that I don't really need.:p Um, wait. I needed them I just wasn't that happy with them.

Protoman
08-10-2008, 11:37 PM
*raises hand slowly*

Lysist
08-11-2008, 01:19 AM
*raises hand slowly*

You have a collection of Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime that could be considered second-to-none, why did you chose to do it? :D

miasboytoy
08-11-2008, 02:04 AM
What this means is that I guess we all have our little niche. While I was researching this I came across this:
http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/catching-them-all-minicons-are-go-guide-rant-warni/13021/
(wow, if I win 15 million I might try to do this) sorry some of the pictures are no longer present. Enjoy

im tackling this at the moment lol. its not as hard as it seems. with the exception of the store exclusives. i actually obtained a few store exclusives already at reasonable prices. =o)

Dark Rage
08-11-2008, 02:17 AM
im tackling this at the moment lol. its not as hard as it seems. with the exception of the store exclusives. i actually obtained a few store exclusives already at reasonable prices. =o)

Get the white Microns, think of it as the poor man's white headmasters!

BraveFortressMaximus
08-11-2008, 04:02 AM
Not much of compleatists just get what I can get my hand on. No point going all out when you can't display half of the stuff or even buy most of them. Usually if you over buy and stuff happen you end up selling it in the end. So I find no point of doing that. Like bot con and jap stuff can't afford that stuff to expensive and i don't think it worth it if you don't have the cash for it or a steady income. You got to spent a certain amount on a hobby and the rest for your basic living. I am not saying it bad to do that but you have to have limited on how much you willing to go out on a figure. However I see people drop down so much cash on one or more figures and than they get screw over when stuff happen to them in real life and they end up selling that figure at lower price than they bought it for. Bad luck for them in the end so you got to be careful not have it bite you bak in the ass if you do that because you be losing more than you bargin for

blitz
08-11-2008, 04:06 AM
I want to be but I'm late into the game and sometimes I don't think I know where to start and it cost too much $$$.

My wants:

TFC
BT
MP

I just need a few more MPs then I'm up-to-date.

Zakna
08-11-2008, 04:39 AM
me.. :(

Lysist
08-11-2008, 02:22 PM
me.. :(

What are your trying to complete and why?

miasboytoy
08-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Get the white Microns, think of it as the poor man's white headmasters!

i actually have seen a couple last year but i wasnt into minicons back then. too bad havent seen any up in months.

miasboytoy
08-11-2008, 02:32 PM
I want to be but I'm late into the game and sometimes I don't think I know where to start and it cost too much $$$.

My wants:

TFC
BT
MP

I just need a few more MPs then I'm up-to-date.

hey sorry i havent gotten back to you, my firend has been too lazy to dig up his tfc and bts. give jays clocks a call for mp's cheapest in bc i bet for mp's.

FreedomGundam
08-11-2008, 02:47 PM
I collect 2 thing, pretty much:
- Optimus Primes
- "special-edition-black-repaints"; as seen here: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showpost.php?p=51609&postcount=319

And that's why Nemesis Prime is usually the best thing in my collection: fits both as a Prime and is very often an exclusive or rare piece or other. (now I just need a BT-17 Nemesis Prime)