PDA

View Full Version : cheaped out?

chans formers
07-28-2008, 09:58 AM
i dont know if this has been discussed before but has anyone else noticed the absence of the old school faction symbols you rub on the newest classics 2.0 bots?they had them on all previous classics bots.does anyone have the rub symbols on their prowl,sunstreak or octane?(sorry....tankor:D )

tusko
07-28-2008, 10:04 AM
I always thought the symbols, rub and non-rub, were a brilliant branding strategy.
I have no idea why they are no longer used.

Every TF should have at least 3 faction symbols and 1 rub sign.

Optimus_Prime
07-28-2008, 10:07 AM
The new Classics don't have rubsigns; which imo makes them differ too much from the original classics.

-KG-
07-28-2008, 10:14 AM
I liked the rubsigns on classics. It's too bad they didn't put them on the new ones.

JSon
07-28-2008, 10:54 AM
I'm not a big fan of the rubsigns. I do like it when the figures have them on, but not in the place of an actual faction symbol; like classics Starscream on his wing. He should have real purple faction symbols on his wings and a rubsign elsewhere. I've been planning to place a order to repo labels and give my classics and animated some well deserved bright red and purple faction symbols.

Wodicus
07-28-2008, 11:42 AM
Yeah, I am not a big fan of the rub signs, I prefer my 'bots and 'cons to have their faction symbol displayed somewhere.

Team Jetfire
07-28-2008, 12:29 PM
Faction Symbols don't really bother me too much.

Rub sign were nice as a throwback to G1, but not important to me. Plus half the time they weren't even placed correctly on the figure.

Barpharanges
07-28-2008, 12:48 PM
I've always hated the rub signs. They only served a purpose on the bonus mini-spys back in '85, since they could be any faction. Putting them on existing charactors is silly; "Gee whiz, Jazz really is an Autobot!"

Reprolabels makes fine replicas if you need your toys to have rubsigns. Funny enough, Animated Lockdown requires a rubsign on his chest to be show accurate.

Fussion
07-28-2008, 01:02 PM
I've always hated the rub signs. They only served a purpose on the bonus mini-spys back in '85, since they could be any faction. Putting them on existing charactors is silly; "Gee whiz, Jazz really is an Autobot!"

Reprolabels makes fine replicas if you need your toys to have rubsigns. Funny enough, Animated Lockdown requires a rubsign on his chest to be show accurate.

Don't forget they were used for the Autobot and Decepticon clones (to identify the transformation e.i. car or jet / hawk or puma)

Then there was Punch-Counterpunch :P (had both!)

Magnimus
07-28-2008, 01:42 PM
As a call-back to the original G1 toys, rub signs on the classics figures were nice, but I'm not greatly offended or disappointed to see them lacking on the new Universe figures.

Rub signs don't have a very long shelf-life. All the loose Beast Wars figures I've been collecting recently have burnt-out rub signs, by which I mean the faction symbol is clearly visible and you cannot rub it into appearing. Also, if the glue isn't right, or the rub sign is in a very "high traffic" finger area of the figure, they can fall off over time, right? Just like on all my old Battle Beasts

General Tekno
07-28-2008, 02:41 PM
As a call-back to the original G1 toys, rub signs on the classics figures were nice, but I'm not greatly offended or disappointed to see them lacking on the new Universe figures.

Rub signs don't have a very long shelf-life. All the loose Beast Wars figures I've been collecting recently have burnt-out rub signs, by which I mean the faction symbol is clearly visible and you cannot rub it into appearing. Also, if the glue isn't right, or the rub sign is in a very "high traffic" finger area of the figure, they can fall off over time, right? Just like on all my old Battle Beasts

Really? Most of the BW figures I have have their rubsigns intact.

Mind you, I wonder if weather has something to do with it... I live in a dryer area.

Magnimus
07-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Really? Most of the BW figures I have have their rubsigns intact.

Mind you, I wonder if weather has something to do with it... I live in a dryer area.

Could be - maybe even exposure to light. All I know is that I can't rub any of the rub signs on the loose BW figures I have been purchasing.