PDA

View Full Version : so i finally saw animated...

exoskeleton
07-23-2008, 04:27 PM
i watched 2 or 3 webisodes of TFA from the transformers website.. and my first impression is that i am not impressed at all.

my biggest beefs with the show are:
- Prime's voice isnt Prime's voice at all
- Bumblebee is an ego maniac (more like sunstreaker)
- Prowl is... a bike??? huh?? and he's a prick
- Lugnut.. who the heck is lugnut?
- Starscream isnt cool anymore
- Megatron sounds like a loser

...and they got little anime humans running around with key's and such.

anyway, i finally saw the show, and i like it as much as the TFA toys... could anyone possibly name an episode which could change my opinion? cause, i always wished for another good TF show.. i was hoping that TFA would grant me my wish. :(

SPLIT LIP
07-23-2008, 04:36 PM
Seems like you were biased towards the show before you even gave it a chance.

Also a few things:

Prime's voice is Prime's voice. It's not G1. Get over it.

Bumblebee is a little self-centered near the beginning. But that's something he gradually gets over. (part of his character development)

Prowl is a bike. So? He's still a police bike. Plus he does some pretty slick ninja moves a bulky car-bot could never do.

Lugnut is a new character that made his debut in the series. This happens all the time so why does it bother you now? Besides, he fucking rocks.

Starscream is cool. Infact, he's freaking awesome. Plus he's actually effective and kicks major ass. Besides, excluding the movie when has Starscream ever been cool? Never.

Megatron dose not "sound like a loser". He's more or less a mix of G1's raspyness, BW intelligence and Movie's deep, feral speech.

Also, the humans are far from anime. (though admittedly, Sari forgets that at the beginning) Besides, the only one who you could even call anime is Sari and she's like the only kid in the show.

Webisodes always chop up and butcher the show. I suggest going on Youtube, looking up Fantransformers and watching some of the eps he has. And try watching tehm in order. (though I won't blame you if you skip the pilot. It's kinda lame compared to teh rest of the series)

montague78
07-23-2008, 04:36 PM
i watched 2 or 3 webisodes of TFA from the transformers website.. and my first impression is that i am not impressed at all.

my biggest beefs with the show are:
- Prime's voice isnt Prime's voice at all
- Bumblebee is an ego maniac (more like sunstreaker)
- Prowl is... a bike??? huh?? and he's a prick
- Lugnut.. who the heck is lugnut?
- Starscream isnt cool anymore
- Megatron sounds like a loser

...and they got little anime humans running around with key's and such.

anyway, i finally saw the show, and i like it as much as the TFA toys... could anyone possibly name an episode which could change my opinion? cause, i always wished for another good TF show.. i was hoping that TFA would grant me my wish. :(

I hear you man. I was also disappointed the first time i began watching the series. Especially Primes voice....sounded like a kid. But it eventually grew on me and so did the characters.
Episodes you should watch are Ep 7: Thrill of the hunt. Then Ep #23 Fistful of Energon.
I also like Megatron Rising pt 1 & 2.

Here's a good link for the TFA Episode guide
http://tformers.com/transformers-transformers-animated-episode/8728/news.html

Nightshade83
07-23-2008, 04:37 PM
Just watch a few more episodes (it would be best if you watched them in order) and give the series a chance. I'm sure once you've got into it, you'll be more impressed.

IMO, Animated's the best TF series since the first season of Beast Wars.

SPLIT LIP
07-23-2008, 04:43 PM
Here's (http://www.youtube.com/user/fantransformers?ob=4) who I was talking about. He has most, if not all of the Episodes. I also recommend Thrill of the hunt and Fistful of Energon. (as they're devoid of Sari, so it should be easier for you)

General Tekno
07-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Give it a chance.

Prime's voice works for his character.

As for Prowl... I HATED his voice and character after the premiere. But starting with the fourth episode I warmed up to him as his character started to find his footing.

In "Thrill of the Hunt" and "Fistful of Energon" he's just badass.

Him and Bulkhead are tied for number one Autobot ni the series for me. Bumblebee's actually my least favorite of the crew- I even like Sentinel better (and that's mainly because I love his characterisation)

SPLIT LIP
07-23-2008, 04:48 PM
I like Bumblebee, but he's deffinately my least favourite Autobot. Simply because he's the kid-appeal character, so he's custom made to appeal to kids. I am not a kid, and so he does not appeal to me well.

montague78
07-23-2008, 04:53 PM
As much as i love this series i am also a lil disappointed with the one-hit-wonders....Soundwave, Swindle...etc. Are they ever coming back?? I guess this topic should be in a "Will there be a Season 3 Thread?"

SPLIT LIP
07-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Spoilers, Montague78:

Soundwave will apparantly have a much larger role in Season three. (which is IN PRODUCTION!)

Also, Swindle is pretty much confirmed to be coming back. After the ominous music as he's towed away and the realization that the watch powers are temporary... yeah, he'll be back.

exoskeleton
07-23-2008, 05:10 PM
i watched "fistful of energon"... and i still cannot stand prime's voice.

the show does seem to be written at least alright, i just wish the characters looked better, cause i dont like how they look.. thats just me... i dont think they actually look like transformers

Optimus_Prime
07-23-2008, 05:14 PM
Try "A Bridge Too Close" parts 1 and 2, if you have time. Those are the best IMHO, I think if you won't like those you won't like any. There are even more recognizable characters there.

exoskeleton
07-23-2008, 05:15 PM
kay, i'll check those out

Code of Honor
07-23-2008, 05:16 PM
i dont think they actually look like transformers

the one question I like to ask people who say this is... What does a Transformer look like?

brr-icy
07-23-2008, 05:27 PM
it's great if you go into it unbiased, plus being american made instead of japanese, so it's not a re dub, and primes voice is good because he's not g1 prime, peter cullen's voice wouldn't fit this character at all, and they give a lot of nods to past series,

Wodicus
07-23-2008, 05:40 PM
Iwas doubtful of the series as well, then I watched it and discovered that it was great. I like the new look at Transformers, I find it very refreshing. Though I still wish Bumblebee was less of an ass and more like the humble little bot I always knew, that's my only real beef with the series.

montague78
07-23-2008, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoskeleton http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?p=66587#post66587)

the one question I like to ask people who say this is... What does a Transformer look like?

Actually it's interesting because my one of the reasons my nephew doesn't like this series is because he says the TF's look like humans in robot suits!! Which is kinda true!

exoskeleton
07-23-2008, 05:44 PM
i finished watching the bridge episodes, and i found that they were a bit better (could be cause i'm getting used to it??)

it had two of my favorite characters in it, Blitzwing and Omega Surpreme... they did a perfect job of Omega, but a horrible job of Blitzwing.

i also like what they did with Blurr, i found that his voice was a little better than the G1, it almost sounds like the same guy though, which is cool.

who knows, maybe i'll get used to it...

Team Jetfire
07-23-2008, 05:48 PM
Meh, It would be ludicrous to say that Hasbro can make everyone happy, all of the time.

So you don't like the cartoon...don't watch it.

brr-icy
07-23-2008, 05:52 PM
i finished watching the bridge episodes, and i found that they were a bit better (could be cause i'm getting used to it??)

it had two of my favorite characters in it, Blitzwing and Omega Surpreme... they did a perfect job of Omega, but a horrible job of Blitzwing.

i also like what they did with Blurr, i found that his voice was a little better than the G1, it almost sounds like the same guy though, which is cool.

blurr and shockwave are the g1 voices, the garbage in garbage out episode is one of my favorites, i like weird al though lol. arcee is her original voice as well

General Tekno
07-23-2008, 05:53 PM

Those episodes are a poor showcase of Blitzwing - you appreciate his utter insanity a lot in "Lost and Found". I personally love his character reinvention as a multiple-faced ball of insanity.

And it's the same voice actor as G1 Blurr indeed.

I would also recommend Megatron Rising parts 1 and 2 for episodes to watch, as well as "Lost and Found" from season 1.

exoskeleton
07-23-2008, 05:59 PM
next time, i have some time to watch more episodes, i will. maybe it'll grow on me.

does weird al do a voice?

Nocturn
07-23-2008, 06:05 PM
does weird al do a voice?

He's Wreck-Gar in "Garbage In, Garbage Out", another great episode.

SPLIT LIP
07-23-2008, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoskeleton http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?p=66587#post66587)

Actually it's interesting because my one of the reasons my nephew doesn't like this series is because he says the TF's look like humans in robot suits!! Which is kinda true!Funny, taht's what I always saw G1 cartoon gusy as. If any, TFA characters look the most robotic of the two.

I love Blitzwing's personallities. Nice to have a character that's natuarally over-the-top bonkers instead of a crazy character who's just trying to be crazy.

astrana
07-23-2008, 07:34 PM
TFA is something different than the "traditional" transformers. And I like how it turned out, change is good

Dynamo.Dave
07-23-2008, 08:27 PM
Yeah Megatron Rising got me into this show.
Before I wasn't so excited, but after seeing those 2 eps, I realized what this show COULD be. A few stinky eps, but that's the same for any show.
Then the Bridge too close ep hooked me for good.

I dont like bumblebee.
Bulkhead is generally annoying (except when he's played as smart, then he's a great character)
OP being a pansy is an interesting take on things. I hope he grows to be what we know in Season 3!

Batman
07-23-2008, 08:45 PM
I love the show, but I do agree about Prime's voice, I just don't like it. I am a whore for Cullen, what can I say:)

Lugnut is cool. I love how loyal to Megatron he is, its very endearing.

General Tekno
07-23-2008, 08:48 PM
I love the show, but I do agree about Prime's voice, I just don't like it. I am a whore for Cullen, what can I say:)

Lugnut is cool. I love how loyal to Megatron he is, its very endearing.

Oh, I like Cullen's voice as well.

But I can't imagine Cullen's voice coming out of that Prime. It wouldn't fit.

Batman
07-23-2008, 08:50 PM
Oh, I like Cullen's voice as well.

But I can't imagine Cullen's voice coming out of that Prime. It wouldn't fit.

I totally agree, but I don't think I can ever love another Prime's voice as much as Peter's. I do like Gary Chalks Primal voice too, but again, would not suit the character.

brr-icy
07-23-2008, 09:36 PM
peter cullen is my favorite prime, but not for this one, that's what i meant

Magnimus
07-23-2008, 09:42 PM
If you don't like these things because you think it doesn't work for the show, that's cool.

If you don't like these things just because the show is different from previous versions (i.e. Prowl is a bike) then I offer you a very sarcastic, "OH NOES!!1"

brr-icy
07-23-2008, 09:58 PM
If you don't like these things because you think it doesn't work for the show, that's cool.

If you don't like these things just because the show is different from previous versions (i.e. Prowl is a bike) then I offer you a very sarcastic, "OH NOES!!1"
lol well said

exoskeleton
07-23-2008, 09:58 PM
i always liked prowl as a kid, and i think it kinda kills me inside to see one of my childhood favorites portayed differently... :( (boo hoo)

Magnimus
07-23-2008, 10:15 PM
i always liked prowl as a kid, and i think it kinda kills me inside to see one of my childhood favorites portayed differently... :( (boo hoo)

Which is understandable but interesting because, by nature, Transformers is about change. Robots change into other forms. Robots change into new robots (in the case of gestalts or through upgrades like Orion Pax to Prime, Megatron to Galvatron, or Optimus Primal to Optimal Optimus). Robots adopt new forms.

Given that Transformers is about the power and allure of change and transformation, it is ironic that many fans are upset when faced with different interpretations or versions of characters they love, especially when it is not even the same character from a continuity family but a new continuity/universe incarnation.

brr-icy
07-23-2008, 10:21 PM
g1 prowl was my first tf, and one of my favorites, at first i was not impressed either. but i warmed up to this one too lol

Pascal
07-23-2008, 10:48 PM
Have you noticed how Prowl is the only Animated character with the wrong colors? All the other figures have logical or G1-ish decos. Prowl should have been black and white imo.

Incepticon
07-23-2008, 10:55 PM
Have you noticed how Prowl is the only Animated with the wrong colors? All the other figures have logical or G1-ish decos. Prowl should have been black and white imo.
While they definitely re-imagined Prowl from the ground up, I think Starscream also could have benefitted from maintaining his original color scheme like everyone else... especially after seeing how cool his G1 colored clone looked. I mean, they kept him as a jet and found a voice actor to mimic Latta's original version as close as possible, so they should have just went all the way with it and left the blue coloring for a Thundercracker repaint.

IMO.

SPLIT LIP
07-24-2008, 12:16 AM
Have you noticed how Prowl is the only Animated character with the wrong colors? All the other figures have logical or G1-ish decos. Prowl should have been black and white imo.No, I really don't think he should have. His Black/gold coloursceme is much more visually appealing for his design and just adds to his ninja look.

I agree with Magnimus. There's a fine line between saying something's bad because it's not good, and saying something's bad because you alone think it's not good.

Incepticon
07-24-2008, 12:47 AM
There's a fine line between saying something's bad because it's not good, and saying something's bad because you alone think it's not good.
I don't think anyone saying something is bad because they don't personally like it is any different at all than how often people regularly say this or that rules because they personally think so, and very often state it as supposed fact.

People just need to remember to add things like "imo", "I think...", etc. to their posts as often as possible. It'll save everyone the possibility of pointless debates, and maybe even make some members look far less like elitist know-it-alls, whether they're praising OR bashing something.

Pascal
07-24-2008, 12:57 AM
No, I really don't think he should have. His Black/gold coloursceme is much more visually appealing for his design and just adds to his ninja look.

I agree with Magnimus. There's a fine line between saying something's bad because it's not good, and saying something's bad because you alone think it's not good.

Never said it was bad.

SPLIT LIP
07-24-2008, 11:13 AM
Never said it was bad.I wasn't talking to you on that part. That sectioned bit was just a "general" statement. Sorry for confusing.

FreedomGundam
07-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Now, I wasn't around the fandom when RiD, Armada, Energon & Cybertron aired (got back into TFs with Superlink airing then Galaxy Force, didn't care much for their US counterparts), but was there generally a similar reaction when each of those series aired?

Inherently, it comes down to the fandom being grouped into 2 sides:
- the ones who'll take all the new series (all being a new take on the Transformers idea)
- the ones who will go "It's not G1! Just gimme more G1!"

And I'm just throwing thoughts out: now, while TFA is a new take on the Transformers concept, people have to realize that some characters can be considered "alternate universe" versions of the G1 character, while others are not. TFA Prime and Bumblebee can be considered "new takes" to G1 Prime and Bumblebee, but TFA Prowl pretty much has NOTHING to do with G1 Prowl (it's just a name, after all; and we all know what Hasbro does to names).

And off on another tangent: I do think that Kaye's voice works for this incarnation of Prime. Cullen does a good "I'm old and have been through a lot of crap" Prime, Chalk does a good "I'm a younger, efficient, and charismatic leader" Prime, while Kaye's voice works well as a "I'm not sure I can be a leader" Prime...

Bountyan
07-24-2008, 12:21 PM
I actually like Optimus Prime's voice in this show, it makes him seem more like the "nervous new leader" type, instead of the "in charge, experienced, powerful leader" in the way Ultra Magnus is.

Hey, I just realized that Optimus Prime and Ultra Magnus pretty much switched roles in Animated from their g1 roles. :P

exoskeleton
07-24-2008, 03:26 PM
i think animated will probably grow on me because it's the closest incarnation that can be related to G1. i dont think it'll ever be as great as G1 is to me, but TFA has more potential than cybertron or energon ever did.

exoskeleton
07-24-2008, 03:33 PM
speaking of Prowl though, i just bought the Universe Prowl yesterday, YAY!

WhiteRabbit
07-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Have you noticed how Prowl is the only Animated character with the wrong colors? All the other figures have logical or G1-ish decos. Prowl should have been black and white imo.

Prowl's colors are not in any way "wrong", because this is TFA Prowl, and that's what color TFA Prowl is.

I think people would enjoy this show a lot more if they didn't spend all their time thinking that it was trying to be the same thing as G1.

It's not G1, it is its own thing, so why decide it sucks* just because it has unique design elements from previous incarnations?

*(comment not directed at anyone in particular, just the people who closed their minds off to the show for very shortsighted reasons)

Incepticon
07-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Prowl's colors are not in any way "wrong", because this is TFA Prowl, and that's what color TFA Prowl is.

I think people would enjoy this show a lot more if they didn't spend all their time thinking that it was trying to be the same thing as G1.
This is true and everything, but given that every single "old" character except for Prowl, Starscream and Shockwave are throwbacks to how they were originally colored in G1, I totally understand why some people think those three should have been as well. It's not so much a complaint as it is just a preference or mere observation.

I have no idea what the logic behind Starscream & Shockwave's color updates might be, but I'm willing to bet that Prowl was recolored specifically because Jazz was also on tap from the beginning and they didn't want both 'ninja bots' to be primarily white.

Given Hasbro's love for repaints, I won't be surprised if we eventually get Prowl & Starscream figures in their G1 schemes. We already saw a SS clone in G1 colors, so it's probably only a matter of time before it happens.