PDA

View Full Version : What kind of TF collector are you?

pud333
07-21-2008, 02:56 PM
Hopefully this thread hasn't been done. If it has, please pardon my ignorance :p

I'm just wondering what kind of TF collectors we have here. Are you a MISB/MOSC collector? Or do you open everything? Do you actually play with the toys? Do you get multiples of figures? Do you hoard? Are you a completist? Do you collect based on scale?

Personally, I'm very particular about what I collect. In order for me to buy a figure, I have to have a personal attachment or fondness for the character. I don't just buy whatever because it looks cool. Because I find in the past when I do, I regret it.

If I really like a figure, I'll buy an extra and keep it MISB/MOSC. I only ever display the figures, and after a few months, if I get tired of them, I sell them because I have no real desire to keep a huge collection of figures I no longer care for. Normally I keep maybe two or three of each line, no more than that because I get bored with them.

So what kind of collector are you? :cool:

Pascal
07-21-2008, 03:06 PM
Impatient / loves high-end stuff / loves die-cast / loves electronics / loves combining figures / loves diversity / loves complex transformations / loves big figures / love recognizable characters

Icetron
07-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Are you a MISB/MOSC collector? Or do you open everything?

I can't say I've opened everything since I have 2 MOSC's right now ('08 BB and G1 Movie Jazz) but in general I open all my stuff.

Do you actually play with the toys?

Yes...if reposing or transforming stuff when I'm bored counts as playing.

Do you get multiples of figures?

Of the exact same figure? Usually not. I have made some exceptions, I have 2 '08 BBs right now (one MOSC as mentioned before). I also have both Hasbro's Classics Prime and the Henkei Prime.

Do you hoard?

In general not really, since I've started to get rid of stuff I'm not fond of anymore.

Are you a completist?

Absolutely not, I tried with the Movie Line (pretty much my first line) and I got furious about all the repaints and the premiums so I will most likely not try to complete anything anymore and buy the stuff I like instead.

Do you collect based on scale?

Scale doesn't influence my decision much. In the case of movie Blackout I'm more annoyed that his transformation, automorph and overall look sucks rather than worry about his scale.

Nocturn
07-21-2008, 03:16 PM
I get the ones I want. :D

astrana
07-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Even though I've loved transformers for the last 20 years of my life I just started to collect transformers recently. (I gave up on anime PVCs)

- not compliest, but trying to get every character in TFA and all the DLX and VYG in Univer 2.0
- I play and pose a lot transformers
- I throw away all the card and boxes mainly due to lack of room
- trying to keep my collection small since i am renting a place and seems like I am going to move every year
- Also very amazed by things that combines lol

BadJeff
07-21-2008, 03:20 PM
non-medicated obsessive-compulsive.... I just have a hard time saying no..... this year is really starting to add up with all the lines out and all the juicy stuff comming down the pipe..
nothing stays MISB, everything is opened and on display. I've never considered keeping anything MISB because I could never see myself parting with my collection..

GMfan
07-21-2008, 04:10 PM
Are you a MISB/MOSC collector?
Hells no

Or do you open everything?
Hells yes

A real man can admit he plays with his toys :P

Sure but I call them repaints....but I'm particular about those, they have to be either an improvement on the original paint, a different character, or on sale....I just pass on crappy repaints

Do you hoard?
I think I've only sold one figure out of 400ish....I'd say yes

Are you a completist?
In a way...I've tred to get at least one of every mould released post RiD...doesn't mean I don't get stuff from RiD and before I'm just more selective on what I get, mostly just characters/mould I like.

Definately, perfect example I'm passing on voyager Bulkhead for leader Bulkhead (may get voyager version for half price though....)

In conclusion I'm the kind of collector that likes to take out his toys and transform them a few times before putting them on display. I love G1 characters i just hated G1 toys...they were all bricks to me. Most of my collection are G1 characters with updated alt modes and more articulated robot modes. The only G1 characters I got are either from my childhood (Grimlock, G2 Silverbolt), my favourites (Ultra Magnus, Tracks, Soundwave), headmasters (loved that gimmick), and characters I don't think will be updated anytime in the near future (Trypticon, Sixshot, Predaking, Liokaiser).

brr-icy
07-21-2008, 04:32 PM
MISB nope, completest? yes, but only on lines i like, g1, mps, alts, classics, and animated. play? yes, a couple tfs of each fig never hurt anyone lol. hoard? most of the time
scale, nope but for animated it would be nice lol,

Team Jetfire
07-21-2008, 04:57 PM
I am the same as both GMfan and Badjeff. I have tried to buy all the molds released and I will buy the odd re-paint if I like the figure or if it on sale, but in that respect I am not a completest.

i plan to open everything, but have been slow opening stuff since Cybertron. The only toys that I may not open are the Masterpiece, not because I will sell them, because I am scared...

chans formers
07-21-2008, 05:08 PM
ant and everything to do with transformers i collect be it gum ball machines,blankets,plates,figures,"all".i actually open most of them just cause whats the point if you dont,then im obsessive enough to actually cut up all card backs and boxes and store it all in binders and i also do the same with toyfare mags.if there isnt atleast one page of tf goodness in it,i wont buy the mag for that month.the only draw back with being a completist is that now that my mother inlaw has moved in ,the majority of my collection had to be moved to my dads basement except for a few select bots and whatever i recently aquired.damn inlaws!!!

Protoman
07-21-2008, 05:27 PM
I am a completiest. I get everything I don't have and can get my hands on. Do I open my Transformers? Depends on what. Anything made after 1990, if MISB or MOC can be cracked open without worry, I mean shit, you have to ENJOY them, not just stare at the robots in disguise. The only time I ever really BUY to keep it mint in the package is for Hot Rod/Rodimus related merch, I try to get 2 or 3 of anything.

JaySmith
07-21-2008, 06:16 PM
Are you a MISB/MOSC collector?
Absolutely. :o

Or do you open everything?
Not a chance. I feel that the majority of box art, depending on the line of course, adds to the overall appeal of the actual toy.

There have been a few occasions, especially with Transformers Animated where I've been known to purchase multiples of figures for out of box "play".

Read above.

ChrisW
07-21-2008, 08:31 PM

Everything I buy gets opened.

Not like I did when I was younger (during the heyday of G1). Most figures stay on the shelf, while a few go on my desk. The desk guys get re-posed every few days or so (unless I find a pose I like).

Never. Unless something breaks I never get a second one. If I quite like a mold, however, I will buy repaints.

Do you hoard?

Nope. Everything is on display.

Are you a completist?

Not even close! I pick the lines I am interested in and then pick and choose the best figures from the lines. One restriction I have is to maintain equal numbers of Autobots and Decepticons within the lines I collect. TFA screws this up a bit since the 'Cons are significantly more powerful than the 'Bots. If I do end up getting TFA Lugnut, for example, I'll get a few TFA Autobots to fight him.

Sort of. I skipped all the Movie line Leader figures since none of them seemed good enough to justify the price. (I was frequently tempted by BBTS's sale on Nightwatch Prime, though.) The TFA Leaders also don't really interest me. Aside from MP figures, all I have are Voyagers (including Alts/BT), Deluxes, or Basics.

What makes me choose to buy or skip a figure? Lots of factors:

Must look good in both Robot Mode and Alt mode. Exceptions will be made for special characters or figures (like MP Prime and his not-so-great truck mode).
Highly posable figures are more likely to be purchased than unposable bricks. Classics Mirage: yes. G1 Mirage: no.
Alt mode should have no robot parts visible. I am more leniant with land vehicles with exposed robot parts on the underside (like Movie Concept Bumblebee), since proximity to the ground helps hide the robot parts. Jets don't get the same leniance unless they are otherwise awesome (like, say, Classics Ramjet).
Must be in a line I am interested in. If it's not in Animated or Universe 2.0, then I probably won't get it.
G1 Season 1 and Season 2 characters are preferred. Updated versions, of course, since most G1 toys suck by today's standards.
If the characters come in sets, then I will get the whole set or none of the set. For example, I won't get Revoltech Starscream unless Revoltech Thundercracker and Revoltech Skywarp are also available. Then I'll get all 3.
I don't buy really expensive figures. Lucky draws? No thanks. Yes they look cool, but I don't need them. I got Alt Camshaft, but I paid retail price for him, not inflated eBay prices.
All dinobots will be considered, but those that aren't really accurate in dino mode get skipped. (Those with visible robot-mode faces in dino mode get skipped too.) Unfortunately, by my standards most dinobot figures suck. BWX Megatron (and the CYB repaint), TFA Snarl, and TFA Swoop are the only ones I want in my collection.Basically, I buy what I like. :)

Nocturn
07-21-2008, 09:15 PM
If I only wanted to look at it I'd just get a photo.

NOCTURN SMASH :D

No, not even repaints. Multiples of the same/similar charcters (at least in name) HELL YES.

Do you hoard?
Everything is out and ready for battle.

Are you a completist?
Not even close. Maybe for small lines with less than 10 releases. Just an assortment of the ones which I deem "awesome".

No. I'm very happy with TFA Voyager Bulkhead.

What makes me choose to buy or skip a figure?
1. Do I already have the mold?
2. Does it have a good Bot mode (as alt modes are nice, but not the best for display IMO)
3. $$$:Awesome ratio. :D

soundwaveCA
07-21-2008, 09:19 PM
I pretty much buy what I want and open everything up. Nowadays I'm becoming much more discretionary in my spending habits though and am passing on a lot more stuff now then in the past. That and I've sold off a lot of stuff I got during my completest MISB days.

EDIT: Just to add as well scale has no effect on my interest level.

Bountyan
07-21-2008, 09:26 PM
For me:

-Somewhat for scale
-I open everything, no point keeping it MISB for me
-I buy the things that look cool and are decent price, and are rated good from reviewers, besides from a few exceptions (movie Megs and Jazz) in other words, I usually go with what my gut says
-I fiddle around with the toys for a few weeks after I get them, then put them on diplay, and sometimes take them off to play around some more
-I don't get multiples or a repainted version of a figure I already have (unless it's different in some way, like G1 Prime and Magnus)

Buhawi
07-21-2008, 10:33 PM
i let my nieces and nephews play with them. i brought my customs to my new job for me to play around with to relax. i've cut down a lot since the last time i was here.

Cheers Ian
07-21-2008, 10:49 PM
I only buy what I really like, and if the figure is really great price really isn't a concern for me (ie Masterpiece Megatron, Botcon Alpha Trion, Music Label Soundwave)

I open all my stuff and my main guideline for buying something is "Is this the best possible representation of the Character I will get?"

I only collect things that are G1 related (Animated Counts because many figures are based on their G1 design)

I don't collect anything RID, Energon, Cybertron etc. A random Beast Wars figure for good measure.

Cheers!
-Ian

crimbot
07-21-2008, 11:00 PM
I am very proud of my large loose collection. My large loose ex-wife on the other hand.....
but seriously, I like to let my toys breath, very few of them are still MIB, except for my numbered TFC japanese reissues, but those are display gold. I gave up on keeping the boxes from my toys a few years ago, because it turned out that I needed more room for my actual collection, not just the boxes. and they've all been transformed, a few times. I find that I regret not buying toys once they are off the shelf, but I don't think I am a completist. I have most of the moulds that have been out since Beast Machines.
Although I still have thoughts about the one day I *may need to sell off a large part of the collection for some reason or another, I hope not to. Maybe that makes me a self hating collector. It is a very expensive hobby though.

Magnimus
07-21-2008, 11:04 PM
I open everything. I don't own any toys, Transformers or otherwise, that are in the original packaging.

If I commit myself to a new line of figures (like the movie or Animated), I try to buy all figures that are not repaints. However, I usually do not buy multiples of a character within a line unless the character is presented in a new form or I don't feel cheated owning the same figure in different classes. For example, in the movie line I own one figure for every character but avoided figures like Cliffjumper or Salvage which are repaints. I did, however, buy the classic and concept camaro versions of Bumblebee. Also, in the Animated line, I own both voyager class and leader class Bulkhead because I think both figures are awesome and have merits unique to their scale. On the other hand, I have a leader class movie Megatron and movie Optimus Prime, but did not feel the voyager movie versions offered anything worth buying.

If I am picking up a line that is no longer in production, like Beast Wars, the same rules apply but I tend to cherry-pick the figures I want and avoid the one's I don't think I'll like.

JaySmith
07-21-2008, 11:13 PM
I am very proud of my large loose collection. My large loose ex-wife on the other hand.....
but seriously, I like to let my toys breath, very few of them are still MIB, except for my numbered TFC japanese reissues, but those are display gold. I gave up on keeping the boxes from my toys a few years ago, because it turned out that I needed more room for my actual collection, not just the boxes. and they've all been transformed, a few times. I find that I regret not buying toys once they are off the shelf, but I don't think I am a completist. I have most of the moulds that have been out since Beast Machines.
Although I still have thoughts about the one day I *may need to sell off a large part of the collection for some reason or another, I hope not to. Maybe that makes me a self hating collector. It is a very expensive hobby though.

^^^ whore. ;)

Black Cat
07-22-2008, 12:29 AM

Little bit from column 'a', a little bit from column 'b'. If I can get a BW figure in its box, it's going to stay there. All the classics figures I collected are still in their boxes, as are a few movie figures. But I've opened every Animated figure so far.

Of course. Which is why they're out of their boxes. But after a while, they go on display.

No. I can't see myself spending more money than I need to. Unless it's something that I REALLY want to play with, but also don't want to touch, then yes.

Do you hoard?

Heh, yes. I don't plan on selling any of these guys.

Are you a completist?

Not really. Except for BW, and soon BM.

Nope. It's disappointing when the scales are completely off, but... oh well.

astrana
07-22-2008, 12:37 AM
here is a proper reply to the thread

I open everything, absolute everything, and I throw the boxes away as well. I dont even have enough room for my collection.

Thats why I like transformers, they are meant to be played.

not usually, I dont like to waste money on the same stuff. unless I am super rich and have my own house, then I will devout my basement int a TF collection room. Have 2 of all the figures, one for playing one for display

Do you hoard?

I don't think I will sell my TFs unless it's life & death matter

Are you a completist?

nope. was going to collect all the TFA, but just dont want to spend 60 bucks on leader bulkhead since I like the vyg version much better

not at all, I am into things that combine. Thats why I am trying to get all 3 energon maximus and energon wingsaber and prime..maybe cybertron wingsaber + prime

SCOURGE33
07-22-2008, 02:49 AM

I open everything to display them

I'll change their pose but thats about it

Depends on which character it is, got a few doubles as one is in alt mode and the other in bot mode

Are you a completist?

Not at all except for getting all 3 Henkei seekers (SS TC SW)

Scale doesn't influence my choice

Magnus
07-22-2008, 07:22 AM
What kind of TF collector?
G1 mostly. But I also pick up anything that is Ultra Magnus, Thundercracker and Cyclonus. I love combiners, bases and big/heavy figures.

Most of the time, I'm going to open the boxes, but usually, my toys will arrive at my place already loose.

I'll transform them each a few times at least, if that counts.

Nope, the only one that could be considered multiple is Cyclonus from '86 and the Targetmaster version, and even then, they have differences

Do you hoard?
yeah, I have no intention of selling my transformers.

Are you a completist?
Not for the time being, right now I just worry about getting the ones I want.

Not really, but I usually tend to get the bigger figures before the smaller ones. But I collect both.

jourdo
07-22-2008, 11:41 AM
... now that my mother inlaw has moved in ,the majority of my collection had to be moved to my dads basement except for a few select bots and whatever i recently aquired.damn inlaws!!!

I feel your inlaw pain man. I'm waiting for the inlaws to move to Calgary already so I can take over the spare bedroom (my future TF room). I think one more year and that room is mine.

Not intentionally. I've kept the most of the Takara bookstyle reissues that I have MIB because I really like the box art and the way they display in them. Anything else that is MISB, I just have not gotten around to opening yet (A few Alternators, Encores, etc).

Sure do!

Only if I do something stupid to the original (I'm looking at you Alt Grimlock). Otherwise I might buy a couple of something that seems harder to find for other board members.

Do you hoard?

I think we are all hoarders on some level. Otherwise our collections would not be what they are.

Are you a completist?

Generally no, but with certain lines yes. For the most part I buy what I like... but lately I like a lot!

Not at all. Again I buy what I like.

aximili
07-22-2008, 12:20 PM
First off, I'm a relatively new collector. I grew up watching Beast Wars, having maybe half the toys and then selling them in a garage sale when I was a teenager.

Only in the past year have I started buying the toys again as an adult (mainly because I recently graduated university and got a real job!)

Now I love most all of Transformers and am focusing on buying whatever I can at retail and slowly building up the collection of stuff I have no choice but to buy off eBay or specialty shops.

I eventually open everything. But sometimes I leave it in the box for a while, especially when i go on toy buying binges (like now).

Sometimes, when the boyfriend's not home to tease me :). Otherwise I rotate who's on display and what poses they're in. And I do themes -- like traitors, TFs with bug forms, flyers, etc. to mix things up.

Not on purpose. I just get one of each of the characters I want. I get the same characters from different continuities, plus the same character if they get a cool new form (like Optimal Optimus and Dragon Megatron, but not the transmetals) or they are re-leased/upgraded. I have classics Grimlock, but I am definitely getting Masterpiece Grimlock if/when it comes out.

Do you hoard?

I don't know what that means. I have a bunch of figures, but I keep them in rubbermaid boxes or their original packaging if they're especially valuable (like MPs) in the basement. I rotate them out a lot, so they all get some action every couple of months.

Are you a completist?

Depends on the definition. I want a complete Beast Wars collection, which for me includes every character as they appeared in their original form on the show. Same with movie line. Animated and Classics -- only the ones I like.

Sometimes. Leader Bulkhead because he would look so weird next the others as a voyager. I was going to get Ultimate Bumblebee but passed because of the price and because he would tower over optimus. Besides I don't cout him in the "main" line, from deluxes to leaders/supremes. Conversely anything below deluxe I don't bother with (unless it's original Beast Wars basics that don't come in deluxe).

Optimus_Prime
07-22-2008, 12:27 PM
I buy the main characters from the American animated series (like TF:A or whatever is to come that is based on G1) and all characters that are actually in the movies. For lines like Universe, I collect all figures.
I never ever buy robot heroes, and I haven't bought any Legends class figures. I do not plan on buying any of those Cyber slammers or Activators (the figs that aren't in the mainline).

I open all my figures, keep the boxes, and yes, I play with them occasionally( I am so childish for a teen). Above all, I can't stand my figures being damaged.

evil_ivotron
07-22-2008, 06:40 PM
I only collected characters that appeared one way or another on the tv shows and the comic books... And of course anything new that catches my eye...

QuadESL63
07-22-2008, 07:08 PM

I have a few MISB and boxed ones but no, I'm not really a MISB/MOSC collector. I opened up most of mine for display. Even the ones that I didn't take them out for display I have opened the boxes/crack open the cards to check the contents. Nothing beats opening up toys... all the excitement, etc. :D This is part of the toy/figure buying experience!

Sometimes... usually right after I bought them. They all go onto the shelves for display.

I must admit I love playing with the Decepticon seekers in their alternate (i.e. fighter jet) modes. Nothing is more fun than going for a few dog fights! :p

(semi-OT: one of my other favorite activities :p is lining up all the Gundam MSiA/Fix Figuration GMs and Zakus, etc. and commence battles)

Except at times I was building clone armies :D I very rarely acquire multiple copies of the same figure: only the ones I really like and when the price is right (2 for 1 sales, etc).

Do you hoard?

If you mean I never sell my stuffs then yes, I hoard.

Are you a completist?

No, and I usually only get the TFs that have appears in shows.

Tried to but Hasbro/Takara-Tomy is not cooperating :D

exoskeleton
07-22-2008, 09:50 PM

i open everything, if you keep it in a box, you are an investor, not a collector

oh yah! my gf thinks i'm crazy i think

why? maybe if they are like a different color and i want both of them... but not usually

Do you hoard?

i wont sell them, if thats what this means

Are you a completist?

nope, i buy the characters i like.. and anything that transforms into a jeep.. i also like most of the charcters from the pilot episodes of g1

sorta. i dont collect the tiny ones at all.

cannabisprime
07-23-2008, 01:23 AM

Yes and No; it depends on the line (MISB for the Commemorative reissues, loose for Animated/Movie/Classics, MIB for Galaxy Force/JPN BW. I do keep a loose and MISB specimen for the Prime collection though

Yes, though play usually just involves rearranging the posing on the shelves

Only for the Prime collection (since HasTak seems to have a penchant for repainting Primes everytime)

Do you hoard?
To sell later on, no.
To keep multiples of the same figure, yes.

Are you a completist?
Only for certain lines.

No.

Metrotitan
07-23-2008, 02:39 AM
Ah one of these! Okay I'll bite...

Its really random. All my new stuff I open, but if I find old boxed stuff or reissues I already own then I may display it. Repaints sometimes get left unopened too... I think some packaged toys on the walls and shelves look great mixed with the rows of loose bots.

Sometimes I get an idea for a cooler pose, but not in the "PYOO! PYOO! laser-sound fly 'em around the room kinda way! :D

Sometimes...I needed two sets of Robot heroes for instance, or every RiD Autobot Brother I could find...

Do you hoard?

To sell later on, yes! I like selling as it lets me meet local collectors! I try to display everything I have though, but it's tough...

Are you a completist?

No. But I will buy anything related to certain G1 characters (Prime, Prowl, Rodimus, Ultra Magnus Bumblebee, Grimlock, Jetfire, Megatron, Soundwave, Starscream) These are the iconic characters to me!

VERY rarely. Notable offenders that I won't buy include CYBERTRON Supreme Starscream and Voyager Bulkhead.

Also, as a side note, I have over 600 figures and only ONE of them is from Beast Wars...Heinlad!:p

C_Shewins
07-24-2008, 04:17 AM
I dont' complete everything, basically collect the whole line if I like the line. They are all MISB. I buy extras when I really want to open up the figure.

Nightshade83
07-24-2008, 05:21 PM

I've opened everything except my Heroes of Cybertron Soundwave. The point of Transformers, IMO, is to Transform them (except for Robot Heroes, but they're too cute to pass up!), and you can't do that if they're sitting in a box.

Sometimes. I like arranging them in different poses around my other collectables and books.

Only of ones I plan to customize. I'll also get Hasbro repaints if its a character I particularly like.

Do you hoard?

I'm not selling anything

Are you a completist?

Nope. I get the characters I like, that is, assuming I can afford them. I'm on a student budget here.

I usually tend to get the smaller figures because they're cheaper, but that's not the basis of my collection. I don't have anything bigger than a Voyager though.

crimbot
07-25-2008, 12:56 PM
^^^ whore. ;)

Lol Jaysith, it's so true. I turn tricks outside toys r us for plastic crack.:D

miasboytoy
07-25-2008, 05:17 PM
open everything even the rare and hard to find stuff. even crazy enough to cut the tape on misb g1 japanese figures lol

once in a while. normally i transform them once or twice then into the display room, but every now and then ill take one off the shelf to play with.

No

Do you hoard?
yes but i do sell off my doubles. sometimes i keep my doubles until im bored of them. i get doubles when i buy lots.

Are you a completist?
yes, have you seen my collection! lol

no

What makes me choose to buy or skip a figure?
if it transforms, ill buy it

RedOktobre
07-27-2008, 02:01 PM

Thank you to astrana for the easy-to-read reply format.

Both.

I keep some figures MISB (usually my favourite ones and/or the rare ones and/or the "hard-to-find ones."

I also open some figures (usually the favourite ones, very poseable ones, and "should not have opened-and-purchased ones).

Sometimes. I mainly pose and display them in my bedroom, living room, computer room, and so forth.

Sometimes, when I am extremely bored and childish, I get the various figures to "fire" their projectiles at each other and see which ones fall down.

Yes.

I usually buy multiples of my favourite and/or popular and/or hard-to-find figures/characters.

I open one for display/play. The MISB one is stored in my "special" MISB shelf.

Do you hoard?

No.

Are you a completist?

No.

I do not attempt to complete any particular TF line. I only buy figures and/or characters that I love.

No.

The size of the figures do not usually influence my collecting decisions.

bigkid11
07-31-2008, 09:09 AM
For me what I do is I open them, play with them alot, put it on display{mostly play with them still.}Then when I see an opportunity to take pictures I pose them. So this is it.Open,transform, play, on display,then pose.

bigkid11
07-31-2008, 09:13 AM
I'm not selling my prized collection no day.

Goaliebot
07-31-2008, 11:21 AM
I open and play with everything. Nothing MISB or MIB ever.

I only buy the figures I like. Character is a distant second. A bad TF of a great character - pass. A great TF of a "whatever" character - buy.

I paint and/or mod most of my figures in at least some way - from touch-up paint all the way to full mods.

I'm fairly "line agnostic" - I have at least one figure from almost every single line. I don't care for "generation wars".

I'm on a fairly tight budget for collecting since my motorcycling and hockey come first - and are expensive. So I pick and choose carefully what figures I buy.

I generally won't spend more than $60 on a single TF, and even that hurts.

I don't care about diecast, unless it ruins the figure (like the 6in Titaniums).

I don't care about electronics very much, unless they are really well done.

Complex transformations = win, though a clever + simple one is also great. Floppy, poorly aligned transformations suck.

I don't look or act like a stereotypical collector. No one at work, hockey, etc would guess I collect TFs.

I'm quite embarrased to acutally BUY the TFs at the store.

Being in my early 30's, I was one of the original kids-watching-and playing-with-G1. But while I like G1 in a nostalgic sense, I'm 10x happier with the new toys.

I'm certainly no completist, and I don't buy re-colors or re-releases of things I already have one of.

optimus prime zim
07-31-2008, 11:36 AM
I only collect optimus prime is that bad????? o_O

FreedomGundam
07-31-2008, 12:03 PM
I generally just buy whatever I like.
There's only a couple of things that I'm somewhat obsessive about:
- Primes: Got like 150 of them already or so... and I keep buying all the new ones!
- "special-edition-black-repaints": magazine exclusives, mail-aways, convention exclusives, etc. I just wished I could justify the cost of a Lucky Draw in there too...

And unfortunately (:P), I'm starting to develop a liking for clear/translucent TFs too... (I blame Henkei Crystal Convoy for that)

RedOktobre
08-02-2008, 01:32 AM

Must look good in both Robot Mode and Alt mode. Exceptions will be made for special characters or figures (like MP Prime and his not-so-great truck mode).
Highly posable figures are more likely to be purchased than unposable bricks. Classics Mirage: yes. G1 Mirage: no.

I totally agree.
I totally agree.

Alt mode should have no robot parts visible. I am more leniant with land vehicles with exposed robot parts on the underside (like Movie Concept Bumblebee), since proximity to the ground helps hide the robot parts. Jets don't get the same leniance unless they are otherwise awesome (like, say, Classics Ramjet).
Must be in a line I am interested in. If it's not in Animated or Universe 2.0, then I probably won't get it.

Disagree. I feel disappointed, but may still buy it.
Agree. However, I have avoided Animated and Alternators.

G1 Season 1 and Season 2 characters are preferred. Updated versions, of course, since most G1 toys suck by today's standards.
If the characters come in sets, then I will get the whole set or none of the set. For example, I won't get Revoltech Starscream unless Revoltech Thundercracker and Revoltech Skywarp are also available. Then I'll get all 3.
I don't buy really expensive figures. Lucky draws? No thanks. Yes they look cool, but I don't need them. I got Alt Camshaft, but I paid retail price for him, not inflated eBay prices.

I totally agree.
Disagree. I feel that this is an unusual "quirk" of a requirement.
Disagree. If I love the figure, I'll get it and spend the extra dollar.

I'm quite embarrased to acutally BUY the TFs at the store.

Same here!

Do you hoard?

I think we are all hoarders on some level. Otherwise our collections would not be what they are.

I totally agree!

For me:

-I fiddle around with the toys for a few weeks after I get them, then put them on diplay, and sometimes take them off to play around some more

You made me laugh. ... but, completely understandable.
Your choice of words were "cute"

agesthreeandup
08-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Never fully understood the MISB Transformer collector. Is the point of these toys not to transform? I open everything.

I used to have to have everything and that was tough while trying to complete my G1 collection. Eventually I finished G1, G2 and Beast Wars but then RID started and that introduced me to much of the Japanese figures and then being a completist just became a whole lot harder. Eventually I sold off almost all of my collection and now just rotate figures I like the most. As many toys come through the store every year, I don't keep any one thing for too long. It would easily get too out of control again and take up the whole house.

Spencer.

jourdo
08-02-2008, 12:20 PM
And unfortunately (:P), I'm starting to develop a liking for clear/translucent TFs too... (I blame Henkei Crystal Convoy for that)

I think I've caught that bug too. :(

There is something about the clear guys that is just plain cool. Although I have the Botcon Mirage from a couple years ago for that one.

Zakna
08-02-2008, 03:36 PM
im a naked collector

i roll around naked on my transformers

YUM

Nocturn
08-02-2008, 04:31 PM
I think I've caught that bug too. :(

There is something about the clear guys that is just plain cool. Although I have the Botcon Mirage from a couple years ago for that one.

Clear Tf's are just awesome though. Shadow Recon Mini-Con Team, anyone? TFA Voyager Megatron too-the clear red is probably what made me buy him.

im a naked collector

i roll around naked on my transformers

YUM

Pics!!!! :D

Hound
08-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Open everything! It must be transformed at least a few times in its life or it will not join the allspark when it goes off-line! :p

To the extent of transforming them and posing for display changes. If I had a camera I'm sure I'd do more of it for picture taking.

No. If money were no object then possibly.

Do you hoard?
Since I just started collecting last year, yes. I've loved TFs since childhood so I'm late to the game.

Are you a completist?
No. But I'd love to be!

I only have deluxe and voyager sizes at present but I'm not against other sizes.

The 12th Prime
05-28-2010, 03:09 PM
I was thinking about all the points people here raise about what they're looking for and what they collect. So I decided to dig up this thread from 2008 since I had a feeling this has already been talked about on here. So what does everyone here like to collect and what do you do with them?

Me, I'm a G1 fan but I don't have to have all the G1 toys. Beast Wars I might do someday but not right now and Animated just doesn't do it for me.
My collection is displayed and is mostly Universe/Classics with the first Bay "movie only" figures sprinkled in plus Mindwipe, Skystalker, Sonar, Sideswipe, Sideways, Soundwave ,Scorpinok and Brawn from the 2nd movie line.

The Classics line got me back into collecting in '06/07. I definitely like the advancements in toy tech since TF's came out when I was 11. I know back then I wished my toys moved the way they do now.
Most importantly I collect any TF toy that I think is cool for my collection which is close to 70 figures now. I would like to have at least 1 major character/figure from the G1 series in one way shape or form be it Classics, Henkei, Universe or the upcoming Generations. I may even accept some movie toys as G1 like ROTF Brawn or TFTM G1 coloured Jazz since they are better looking and more articulate then the G1 counterparts (except I really do like G1 Jazz, it's a Porsche, come on!).

Anyway the generations line is making me rethink what I'm collecting and if I'm going to have an advancement theme to my collection.

How has your collection transformed?

Nocturn
05-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Oh god my posts in this thread are embarrassing and make me hate myself

TwinTwistR
05-28-2010, 05:10 PM
Used to collect anything that grabed my attention. Lately trying to narrow it down to flyers, combiners and leaders (characters, not size). Definitely not married to any one line.

If you want to have one MISB and one of the same to display, fine. But don't only have one and never open it. IMO that is more of an investor than a fan. I only buy one of a character and they are all opened as soon as I get home. Extremely rare for me to buy a repaint.

Also somewhat of a purist - if it does not transform then it is not a transformer. Thus, I do not own any bobble heads, statues, busts, actionmasters, etc. Used to have a bunch of original G1's (still best line ever), but due to an unemployed stint a few years back had to sell most. Just started rebuilding G1's within the last year, but soo expensive now compared with 1999, when I sold them (even the reissues). It may take a while.:confused:

Dragon Knight
05-28-2010, 05:14 PM
I consider myself a very casual collector, as TF isn't really the main line I buy I'll only buy the TF for three of the following reasons:

1: IF it's a character I really, really like.

2: There's something about the design I like

3: I happen to find it on sale.

justprime
05-28-2010, 06:12 PM
I guess I am a completest at least till the 09 movie showed up I have been collecting since 84 have recently completed my G1 worldwide collection (thanks Shawn..dairu) and now as far as G1 ...just upgrading some of the bought loose pieces missing acc or the dreaded Yellow..(most of my pieces were bought new boxed/carded).... Have completed all the lines up to said 09 movie..Machine wars,beast wars ,BW2, neo, beast machines,R.I.D. Armada, Energon (superlink),cybertron(galaxy force), 07 movie,animated... with Transformers the movie ROTF,...Repaint ..itis set in and slowed the buying there however.(I still pick up the new molds or altered repaints).... but the collection didn't stop there nooo then it was limited , specials,.. luckydraws, botcon pieces, DVDs,Comics manuals, records(yes there was transformers released on 2 records) and protos...etc.... so I guess that makes it a hardcore collection,... love the toys 98% is loose other 2% are Mint in package/box,... I do transform them (gently) would greatly love to be able to set them all out,... over half is stored in totes,.. I change up the shelves from time to time,... I don't think most people know how vast an area these figures take up... when displayed properly... I know I don't as I havn't the room currently and never had them all out at once"LOL" ...as for the boxes/cards they come under the knife and the artwork kept along with instructions,.. cards etc... with exception made for boxed toys from Japan and the sealed stuff.
Multiples... not usally with the exception of Prime in paticular G1 as for me thats the only Optimus and also my favroite....I don't hoard or clean out a shelf if I see a rare figure I take 1,..but may pick up a second piece to keep sealed,and one for a friend if there looking for it...I only sell after I have upgraded a loose piece for a better one, collection never gets cut always stays intact and I do sell the second sealed packs sometimes to generate $ for further purchases.
Guess thats the type of collector I am.
These toys are "justprime"

Team Jetfire
05-28-2010, 06:26 PM
***Reads old post***

I am the same as both GMfan and Badjeff. I have tried to buy all the molds released and I will buy the odd re-paint if I like the figure or if it on sale, but in that respect I am not a completest.

i plan to open everything, but have been slow opening stuff since Cybertron. The only toys that I may not open are the Masterpiece, not because I will sell them, because I am scared...

Yep, still works two years later.

Me.Grimlock.King
05-28-2010, 06:41 PM
love die-cast & combining figures & for some of the better transformers I get 1 to open and 1 in box or on card.

Phy
05-28-2010, 07:21 PM
An inconsistent one. I've never gone for completionism, always just concentrated on the toys I thought were cool - characters I liked, or those with reasonably high articulation, or interesting transformations, or neat detailing and headsculpts, or that just tried something new. Alternators is as completionist as I ever got, and even there I skipped a few. Most of my collection is packed away right now. Naturally, those being my reasons for buying, I've always been a deboxer. And I think Animated is the only line I've avoided entirely. Which is kind of funny - I loved the show, but didn't care about the toys at all; meanwhile with ROTF I loathe the fiction but think some of the non-movie character toys are incredible.

Sun Swipe Prime
05-28-2010, 07:43 PM
I buy anything that I like. I don't care what line or when it was made. For the most part it usually relates to a G1 character. Usually I focus on headsculpt, articulation and for the most part don't care much about an alt mode as long as it's ok.

Akroyer
05-28-2010, 08:46 PM
I'm by no stretch a completest. I prefer the G1 characters, few in beast wars. And the most recent animated series. Not every one, but the ones that I liked or have a significance to me from childhood when I had a G1 Collection.

I like the combiners, and some of the larger ones. Not real interested in multiple copies of the same figure. Pretty much just one that I can display.

I'd like to keep them minty fresh in the box, but then I can't transform or pose them. And the boxes take up so much room. So pretty much everyone I have is open now. But so far I am keeping the boxes for the art and whatnot. Hopefully I can find room to store them long term.

Detective Barricade
05-28-2010, 09:47 PM
I like collecting Transformers. I don't collect anything that doesn't convert (like Robot Replicas) as I wouldn't know what to do with them. Nothing is MISB in my collection, as again I wouldn't know what to do with it. I LOVE playing with my Transformers. (if transforming and posing count as that) I usually only go for the ones that I like - ROTF Blazemaster can sit on the shelves and rot for all I care for example. I don't always go for repaints unless it offers something new and I liked the mold enough the first time if I've bought the mold before. I have Universe Prowl, Bluestreak, and Henkei! Smokescreen for example. I think my only 'themed repaint' I have (that I already have the mold of previously) is Electrostatic Soundwave, and that's because of Ratbat. I love my Beast Wars, Universe/Classics, Animated, Alternators, and my Masterpiece collections.

Hobbyist Prime
05-29-2010, 09:05 AM
If it transforms and is on the shelf at a toy store it's coming home with me!

UltraMarknus
05-29-2010, 10:37 AM

I open everything. I try to buy everything loose, if possible.

Depends on what is considered "playing". I TF them, of course, but as for making laser noises and setting up battle scenes...no.

No. I have been tempted, recently, to buy a second TFA Swindle just because he is so awesome that if mine ever broke, I would cry.

Do you hoard?

No. I have sold off quite a bit. I shifted to only G1, MP, Animated and Classics as I felt nothing towards the other lines characters.

Are you a completist?

hhhmmm...yes and no. I will buy complete lines but not every variation of the toy...ie. metal feet G1 Rumble and plastic feet G1 Rumble. As well, with Classics, I do not bother with repaints of molds that are insignificant characters...ie. Dropshot.

No or else I could not be a G1 collector LOL!

Aesir
05-29-2010, 11:39 AM
I collect pretty much every figure I can, no real preferences

Haggis
05-29-2010, 11:43 AM
I open Everytthing.

There is no greater high then opening a new figure

Aesir
05-29-2010, 12:44 PM
I open Everytthing.

There is no greater high then opening a new figure

Its fun to open a G1 toy in front of a MISBer though :D

Jefro
05-29-2010, 02:56 PM
I've got a mix of things. For G1/G2/BW its all loose but I will buy MIB for the right price simply for the nostalgia but thats more so for G1. Only other thing I collect is Universe 2.0 which is all MISB because A) I have nothing on display and B) Don't have any desire to open them since I know I'll only transform it once and then pile them up in a box.

Only Movie Toy I've bought is ROTF Bludgeon but opened it right away and continually try to come up with new and improved ninja stances/poses for him.

Completest wise... G1 only and I'm in no rush to do so.

Autovolt 127
05-29-2010, 05:05 PM
I collect most transformers molds and a lot of repaints but i have a lot misb recently because A. I'm lazy and B. i'm running out of room.

I love transformers figures maybe the most of things i like about transformers is toys.

Phy
05-29-2010, 05:21 PM

Someday I wouldn't mind cracking a MISB Jetfire in front of, well, anyone who would be aggravated by it

(Or just steal the Smithsonian's. I've only seen pictures but it looks amazingly minty.)

Malwave
05-29-2010, 05:46 PM
I collect mostly to regain a bit of my childhood that passed me by faster than Blurr after 5 cases of Red Bull.

Never had Transformers, or GI Joe, or Power Rangers...or any toys besides Lego and Hot Wheels back in the day lol :p

But now for the answering of the questions! :D

I have a few MISB figures...I feel that these figures are still toys, even if wqe consider them collectibles, and toys are meant to be - at the very least - fiddled with and posed. Boxed toys aren't toys...they're boxes :P

From G1 Megatron and Galvatron to Universe Hot Shot and Classics Rodimus; I pose every figure as that is the real fun of them :)

No, unless the repaint is just as awesome as the original.

Do you hoard?

ehh...sadly sorta yes...but mostly customs parts...I never turn down free broken TFs xP

Are you a completist?

oh hell no. I haven't got the income for that lol

nope...I judge a figure by the features it has and the amount I want it.

Tekkamanraiden
05-29-2010, 09:35 PM

That would depends on what it is, I have 25 Anniversary Optimus Prime still in box, but everything else I've opened. Some of my robotech/macross collectables are still mint in box.

That is truly dependent on the toy and how difficult it is to transform. I've transformed Universe Classics Jetfire and Grimlock a bunch of times due to their easy transformations. Ironhide is in robot mode and he'll stay in robot mode.

When they are on sale I do, usually with intentions to custom paint them. I usually end up selling them for what they cost me.

Do you hoard?

No I usually sell off any extras I buy to help fund the next purchase to Automation.

Are you a completest?

No, I only collect what I like. Mostly it has been Universe Classics 1.0 and 2.0. I have recently bought my first movie figures as they were too kewl to pass up (Mindwipe and Skystalker). I also was impressed enough with a few TFA to have a small collection.

Not strictly, but Voyager is generally the largest single figure size I'll buy. I really enjoy my WST Dinobots.

Dragon Knight
05-29-2010, 11:25 PM

You kidding? It's fun to open ANY toy in front of an MSIBer.

Aesir
05-30-2010, 02:40 AM
You kidding? It's fun to open ANY toy in front of an MSIBer.

I know :D

But G1 is older so its "WORTH MAOR!!!" lol

Zodberg
05-30-2010, 07:26 AM
-Good toys or characters I'm attached to. Not a completist, usually.
--Any Mini-con three-pack though, I'm all over it.
--Any figure that combines with a figure I already have.
---No recolors or minor remolds, (with exception, like Sunstreaker/Sideswipe)

-Gotta get the toy if I'm going to the convention.

-Sometimes I feel like half the figures I buy I only end up buying because I go to a toy store and it's the only mold I don't own.

-I only buy transforming Transformers. No RPBs or those movie figures without alt modes.

-no imports

-If a toy I want is so similar to one I have, I'll wait for the recolor. So I bought the older Camaro Bumblebee, then for the Concept version, I waited for Cliffjumper. I bought the big Armada Optimus, and for the Supercon mold I got Nemesis Prime instead.

-Motorcycles are awesome.

-Every toy must be opened!

The 12th Prime
06-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Nice work on the thread here, impressive all the different things everyone likes.
I'm definitely going for a generational between cybertron and earth G1 look to my collection now with the generations line coming out. I will collect the rest of the seekers from the titanium line for the cybertron look like in the cartoon. We'll see what Megatron looks like from generations but I may get the war within Megatron as I think it'll be a good match plus I love the Die Cast. Generations Thrust will be my classics version. Definitely grabbing the first Generations wave now.

Houndog22
06-02-2010, 01:40 AM
As a collector whatever works for my shelf I will buy. I started with Beast Wars and gradually switched to Classics ,RID, and G1s. I open everything I buy and if I have to buy a second figure it is because I couldn't find an individual part for the first figure.

I love transforming transformers, to me it would be sad (for the figure and myself) to leave it in a box without transforming or displaying it a couple of times.

As for the collecting part I treat it as a treasure hunt. Going from store to store and trying to find figures on the shelves is a fun experience. Sometimes I find the figure; but if I can't find it I try even harder to obtain it. Not finding it ignites my passion to obtain it and makes the adventure more fun. Ebay and online stores make treasure hunting alot easier so sometimes if I really can't find the figure locally I resort to Ebay.

In short, I am a transformers addict :D

Prowl_2009
06-02-2010, 09:06 AM
Love anything in the Classics/Universe lines that basically gives the collection an updated 1984 G1 feel to it and most movieverse pieces. My entire collection is pretty much comprised of these 2-3 lines, with a few odds and ends tossed in here and there. :D