PDA

View Full Version : Collection Regrets!

pud333
07-19-2008, 02:45 AM
I went through a phase as a kid when I destroyed my toys just for the sake of destroying them. When I think back on it now, I remember how I used to blow up toys with firecrackers, etc.

I recently had this startling memory come back to me. I had received Jetfire as a Christmas present one year. I can't remember how old I was, but I do remember shortly thereafter, I used my Tonka toy truck to basically smash Jetfire into the wall repeatedly until he was nothing but a mangled mess. To top it off, I grabbed him by the leg and basically began using him as a hammer, thrashing my other G1 toys with it.

I think about that now, and how I wish I could go back in time and slap the sh*t out of myself and scream, "You idiot! What have you done!"

Anyone else have any bizarre collecting regrets like this, or is it just me? :rolleyes:

montague78
07-19-2008, 03:01 AM
hahahahaha oh the violence!!!
Well mine wasn't as brutal as that but this was when i was in my 1st or 2nd year in college. Beast Wars rekindled my fire for Transformers. I loved the characters, storyline and jokes. So i started collecting them. Beginning with Prime, then megs, then the rest of them on and not on the show. the only ones i was missing was rattrap and cheetor. They were hard as balls to find. So i made it up by getting the TM ones. My room became a Beast Wars sanctuary!!
Then as i was close to graduating i thought i had grown out of this "phase". So i decided to give them all to my 2 yr old nephew........who eventually destroyed them!! Oh man do i regret doing that now!!! He had them in pieces in a pile with his other broken stuff bin. There's not a day that goes by where i don't kick myself in the ass for this! Uuuugh!!!! Although a good batch was given to my other 11 yr old nephew who has them displayed in his room like a good boy. And i was able to salvage a half broken Optimal Optimus and TM2 Megs w/ broken right foot.

And let me tell you TM2 megs is dam hard to transform! lolzz!!!

Protoman
07-19-2008, 08:37 AM
I had a friend that was like that too, his father use to let him play with his B-B guns. So my friend took his entire Reboot collection of toys and blew them to pieces........ poor Bob.... his arms and legs were everywhere =(

Optimus_Prime
07-19-2008, 09:35 AM
I remember giving away my first TF, Dinobot Striker, after it mas in pieces. I don't know if it was actually broken, though, but if it was that was my regret. If it wasn't, I regret letting my parents give it away. I also regret letting my Armada Optimus Prime fall down the stairs so many times, the electronics haven't been working in the longest while, as well as minor damages to his cab area. There was also a time that I brought my original 20th anniv. Prime with me on a vacation and the paint on the legs was slagged when I got back thanks to the people at the airport that search your luggage.

Team Jetfire
07-19-2008, 10:13 AM
My only regreat was not collecting beastwars sooner..

I was pretty good to my toys as a kid

Cheers Ian
07-19-2008, 10:22 AM
My Transformers never really had any grief as a kid, but I wish I could say the same for my GI Joes.

Most of them had a battle with my parents Treadmill one day and as a result of that, they got some major "road" rash.

I can remember one kid I invited over once came over and started pulling the hands off a bunch of my TMNT figures. He was not invited back.

The best though was when I was playing with Dive-Dive from Gobots in an overgrown puddle behind my house. I lost him in the muck and I thought he was gone forever.

The next spring I found him in the same Puddle and I still have him to this day!

jourdo
07-19-2008, 10:49 AM
My only TF collection regret is selling off all of my originals at a garage sale to a lady across the street. Who knew that when I thought I was growing out of these stupid little pieces of plastic crack that I would grow back into them many many years later. This is definitely a "I wish I could go back and slap myself upside the head" kind of moment, or at least go back and buy the damn toys off of myself.

There was also a time when one of my sisters friends busted the head off of Optimus Prime. At first I was upset about it, but them thought it was cool because he could be like the Optimus in the G1 comics (early couple of issues when Shockwave had Prime beheeaded).

GI Joe... that was a different story. I got to the stage in my life where realistic battles were more fun. I remember torching/blowing up a Rattler, sending Snake-eyes down the vent on an excavation mission, and sending Shipwreck down a river in that little orage boat (I don't remember the name of it). Some other solider jumped down a storm sewer when his vehicle went speeding over it... although this one was an accident versus the others that were intentional.

StarScreamix
07-19-2008, 11:15 AM
I sold my Sky Lynx for I think $10 at a garage sale.... :( VERy glad they did a reissue. and that $10 buck over 10 years ago must be worth like $40 bucks now so I didn't loose out too much.

Also, I messed up my Hotrod, and my Targetmaster Sideswipe(i think that was it) in grade two while playing in the sandbox with them... Transformers + Sand = BRICKBOTS.

chans formers
07-19-2008, 11:28 AM
My only TF collection regret is selling off all of my originals at a garage sale to a lady across the street. Who knew that when I thought I was growing out of these stupid little pieces of plastic crack that I would grow back into them many many years later. This is definitely a "I wish I could go back and slap myself upside the head" kind of moment, or at least go back and buy the damn toys off of myself.

There was also a time when one of my sisters friends busted the head off of Optimus Prime. At first I was upset about it, but them thought it was cool because he could be like the Optimus in the G1 comics (early couple of issues when Shockwave had Prime beheeaded).

GI Joe... that was a different story. I got to the stage in my life where realistic battles were more fun. I remember torching/blowing up a Rattler, sending Snake-eyes down the vent on an excavation mission, and sending Shipwreck down a river in that little orage boat (I don't remember the name of it). Some other solider jumped down a storm sewer when his vehicle went speeding over it... although this one was an accident versus the others that were intentional.
the orange boat was the "devil fish" right/i did that too!!!same with firecrackers in figs like prime,blaster and soundwave.then i went through the "barbeque" phase.i was so amazed as a kid at how everything just pooled into a big black puddle of plastic in the corner of dads bbq.then came the "battle damage phase which consisted of me ruining my dads soldering iron to get scrapes/bullet holes in both my tfs and gijoe vehicles like the tiger force rattler.when i was done with it it wasnt yellow no more.ah regrets....:D

pud333
07-19-2008, 12:16 PM
lol. These are all great stories! To add to the memories, my mother gave away all my toys for free once I hit university (TF's, He-man, GI Joe, Ninja Turtles, etc.) but I didn't care because they were all destroyed. But she also gave away my comic book collection. Now, I had a very extensive Marvel collection, with some really cool comics. We're talking first appearance of Venom, first Gambit, Spiderman fighting the hulk with those special powers, plus tonnes of old X-men comics, etc. There were five or six full boxes. She sold them all without my knowledge to a local comic shop for $25 per box. :eek: Now, I don't blame my mom, cause she didn't know any better (even though she should have). What I can't stand is how the comic shop owner took advantage of her not knowing. There were mint comics in there worth $25 alone. I'll never forgive that guy.

The only thing I managed to salvage was one box full of my Image and Valiant comics. Wildcats, Spawn, Savage Dragon, Harbinger, etc. Still have all the original starter few issues of each series. Don't know what they're worth now. Probably nothing.

This is definitely a "I wish I could go back and slap myself upside the head" kind of moment, or at least go back and buy the damn toys off of myself.

I've often thought about going back to buy the toys off younger self before I destroyed them, but I figure there's some rules against that. It would probably mess up the space-time continuum if my past and future self interacted. :D

jourdo
07-19-2008, 12:42 PM
But she also gave away my comic book collection. Now, I had a very extensive Marvel collection, with some really cool comics. We're talking first appearance of Venom, first Gambit, Spiderman fighting the hulk with those special powers, plus tonnes of old X-men comics, etc. There were five or six full boxes. She sold them all without my knowledge to a local comic shop for $25 per box. :eek: Now, I don't blame my mom, cause she didn't know any better (even though she should have). What I can't stand is how the comic shop owner took advantage of her not knowing. There were mint comics in there worth $25 alone. I'll never forgive that guy.

That guy sounds like a douche. I'll add my comic book childhood story. I don't remember what I did, but I must have really pissed my mom off that she confiscated my collection (these were loose, before I knew bags and boards existed). She hid them really well (I checked all her usualy hiding spots), and a couple weeks go by with no sign of these damn books. I go out onto the balcony one afternoon and low and behold I find them in a cardboard box... a soaking wet cardboard box (it had been raining for a few days). Not one single issue was spared the damage. :(

brr-icy
07-19-2008, 01:32 PM
i took my whole collection (300 figs, mostly hand-me-downs lol) to a comic shop and sold them all for $50, about 10 yrs ago, lol. big regret

tripleb
07-19-2008, 02:47 PM
not Tfs, but my vintage GI joes, back about 12 years ago I gave them to my cousin who was 7 at the time. he played with them outdoors in the grass, of course he didn't take care of them like I did, and he left them outside and one day his father mowned the lawn, didn't see the Joes cause the grass had grew up over them and he chopped all my old Joes to bits! so sad! :(
needless to say that my cousin never got any of my other vintage toys!

Oasis
07-19-2008, 03:05 PM
I regret that my parents gave my brother the toys and when he offered them to me, years later, I turned him down.

BadJeff
07-19-2008, 03:22 PM
I Just regret not getting serious about collecting earlier in life....5 years earlier would have been perfect.

Cheers Ian
07-19-2008, 04:13 PM
Ugh,

I can remember when I was a teenager and I was really into Star Wars. I traded a guy a bunch of older Transformers for a Expanded Universe Mara Jade. Mara Jade was VERY valuable at the time so I thought I was getting a great deal. Most of the figures were junk like McDonald's Beast Wars and Micromasters, but included in the lot were

-G1 Hot Rod (not in the best condition, but still)
-G1 Small robot that goes with Thunderwing :(
-The first version of Beast Wars Airazor

God, I'm still kicking myself for this one. I was about 14 at the time and didn't really care about Transformers. I thought Airazor was the last TF I would ever buy. God I was dumb.

Mara Jade sells for about 6 bucks on Ebay now.

Cheers!
-Ian

PrimeReviews
07-19-2008, 04:13 PM
i think i threw out my g1 topspin once, i also used to twist the rubber bands in my gi joes until the bands broke

also i traded my g1 soundwave to my friend for a small batman figure :0 when i was like 7 but last month i gave him 10$ for him 12$ for optimal optimus and 5$ for a energon rodimus, oh how much did that guy love beast wars :) those were the times...

Pascal
07-19-2008, 05:34 PM
I regret buying and selling the same toys multiple times. I happened often in the past 2-3 years. Buy it, sell it, buy it again, sell it again, buy it again... So much money wasted. Also a lot of money on figures I didn't really want from Armada, BW, BM, Energon and Cybertron...

I regret selling my G1 Victory Saber the most.

QuadESL63
07-19-2008, 07:02 PM
How about spending all the Chinese New Year lucky money and pocket money on Gundam models, video games, dating, etc. instead of buying more G1 TFs during my teenager years in HK? All those "cheap" Japanese releases that are now hard to find and expensive... I have seen it all but I was so "grown up" at the time I shouldn't buy TFs like my little brother, right? Darn I was so wrong! :D

Not really TF related but I really regret that my brother and I gave away all those original Machine Robos and GoBots years ago. We almost have the whole set, all 50-60 of them.

Magnus
07-21-2008, 07:50 AM
I remember my mom giving away a whole storage box full of TF and G.I. Joe's because I needed space to grow my CD collection. Don't get me wrong, I love my 350+ CD collection... but man, I should have fought to keep that box!!!

I still kick myself on a regular basis for that!!!

K.

Magnus
07-21-2008, 07:50 AM
How about spending all the Chinese New Year lucky money and pocket money on Gundam models, video games, dating, etc...

Hey... at least you were getting some, right?

TRAINSFORMER
07-21-2008, 04:43 PM

Wow, ditto for me too! One exception though, the Lady (at the garage sale) who bought my G1's was a stranger...

astrana
07-21-2008, 05:00 PM
my regret was throwing RID Landfill Builder away because i am going to high school...

bigkid11
07-31-2008, 11:44 AM
my transformers and voltron i lost.i think it fell out the moving truck. my action figures is diffrent.throwing them out the window screaming "fly fly fly!" the x-men everything gone.i was moving and the box fell out the moving truck.i started it up again two years ago,but I'll never forgive the driver.

Fussion
07-31-2008, 04:25 PM
my transformers and voltron i lost.i think it fell out the moving truck. my action figures is diffrent.throwing them out the window screaming "fly fly fly!" the x-men everything gone.i was moving and the box fell out the moving truck.i started it up again two years ago,but I'll never forgive the driver.

You mean the driver lived after that!?!?

bigkid11
07-31-2008, 04:32 PM
he didnt die!My uncle was in the truck with all the stuff. The driver didn't tighten the back so the doors swung open while he was driving.My uncle waited till the stoplight and shut the doors but my collection tumbled out.Somebody probably is chillin in new york with my stuff.By the way i dont live in NC.Im stayin with relatives for the summer.I live in New York.

bigkid11
07-31-2008, 04:34 PM
Don't ask why my uncle volunteered to be in there.Even I don't know.

Fussion
07-31-2008, 08:51 PM
he didnt die!My uncle was in the truck with all the stuff. The driver didn't tighten the back so the doors swung open while he was driving.My uncle waited till the stoplight and shut the doors but my collection tumbled out.Somebody probably is chillin in new york with my stuff.By the way i dont live in NC.Im stayin with relatives for the summer.I live in New York.

Meant it as a joke (could be due to the fact that the joke was lame) :p

QuadESL63
07-31-2008, 09:57 PM
Hey... at least you were getting some, right?

Let just say... I didn't press the issue further enough to get the full package :D Enough said. But it is fun. Anyhow, I did spend a lot in arcades at the time. If I knew there will be a thing called MAME I could have just spent the money on TFs instead :p

Nocturn
08-01-2008, 12:00 AM
Letting my parents sell off my chilhood BW toys. But, I was done with them, and they were pretty junked...

bigkid11
08-01-2008, 01:02 AM
Oh.:o

agesthreeandup
08-02-2008, 12:35 PM
By the time Transformers were big I was already in my teens so I was not too huge into them but thought the transformations were cool. At that time I was big into Knight Rider and so all the TFs that I did end up getting I painted black. Bluestreak, Sideswipe, Sunstreaker, and many others ended up all painted black. Oddly enough I found all these toys about 10 years ago, when I was heavy into BW. It amazes me how when you are young you think you do a great job painting these toys and then as a adult you see it and think what a crappy paint job. I think I ended up just throwing them all out.

Spencer.