PDA

View Full Version : To Apply Stickers or Not To Apply Stickers That Is The Question?

alicethegoon
07-17-2008, 01:32 AM
Hi, I just picked up a very nice complete G1 Tyco Transformer train set pretty well mint in good box. The box is OK but the contents is very, very nice with the train cars still in their clam shell and styrifoam packaging. The original sticker sheet is included but 1 of the trains has the stickers applied (and looks very cool by the way). The cardboard buildings have been punched out but are in great shape along with landscape. I really want to apply the remaining stickers to the trains but I am torn about depleting the value. :confused: It has all the decpticon and autobot figures also. Should I apply the stickers or not, what would you do? :rolleyes:

Magnus
07-17-2008, 07:12 AM
Quite honestly, I'm not big on putting ALL the stickers on my TF's (mostly G1's), I'll usually limit myself to the faction logo and whatever outstanding lines/stripes that give the toy his personality. I usually forget about all the little elctronic lights and flashy stuff. I don't know exactly what the stickers are for the trains, but I gotta say that the toys look fine by themselves. If you're really worried about value, then maybe you should lay off of them. If not, then knock yourself out! ;-)

FreedomGundam
07-17-2008, 10:31 AM
I don't apply any stickers to any TF that I've bought since I started actively collecting (started Sept. '05).

Normally this is so that I appreciate the mold details themselves rather than "fake" sticker details, for the most part. You do get the odd TF that looks really weird without stickers, though: G1 eHobby Black Hot Rod doesn't come with its hood-sticker applied, and I didn't put it on, so his chest is rather... "bare"... when compared to other Hot Rods/Rodimus'...

Optimus_Prime
07-17-2008, 11:09 AM
I also had a hard time deciding to put the stickers on my reissue Soundwave, but I did in the end. I just looks too plain without them.

-KG-
07-17-2008, 11:38 AM
Unless you plan on selling it, I would put them on. They're already half on, and if you plan on displaying them, it'll look better. I always put on all the stickers, unless they hamper the transformation, like on Hound's arms or Megatron's legs.

That being said, i've been having a similar problem. I've stated this before on this site, but here it is again. A couple of years ago I bought a complete MIB Reflector with stickers unapplied. I like applying stickers and the look of them, but I don't wanna ruin the whole "MIB unused Reflector" thing. I also don't wanna buy another set to display. Oh what to do...:confused:

Pascal
07-17-2008, 11:41 AM
I never buy figures with plans of reselling them later. Live for now. Put the stickers!

chans formers
07-17-2008, 11:56 AM
id say by all means putem on.imo the train set just looks funny without the red and black stripes down the sides.

jourdo
07-17-2008, 12:35 PM
I'm for putting on the stickers as well.

Myself, I don't generally put them on. Not because I want to maintain value, but I suck at applying stickers.

alicethegoon
07-17-2008, 04:56 PM
OK, the decision has been made, Appling stickers Now! The boxcar that transforms into weapons centre just looked stupid without them. Thanks for your input gentlemen. :D

Protoman
07-17-2008, 05:16 PM
I hate stickers that have to be applied on TFs. I remember happy years of Beast Wars, then I get my first Machine Wars toy and WAAM, back to stickers..... glad that didn't last too long.

Stickers = Bad, even Takara/Hasbro has some reissues where the applied stickers are now tampographs. Stickers wear out overtime also without any play or friction, just due to oxygen breaking it down.

alicethegoon
07-17-2008, 11:52 PM
Yeah stickers are not as functional as a good paint job but they are FUN! I do like to apply stickers, the feeling of a job well done (hopefully) plus they look better to me. Here is another question, now that the stickers are applied. If interested in buying a simular set and you could purchase one with stickers applied (mint stickers) or stickers not applied in same condition at lets say for 10 bucks more. Which one comes home with you?

Sketchmaster
04-13-2013, 04:06 PM
I just got my hands on an old Omega Supreme. Still missing 1-2 track pieces but almost complete. I was able to find on eBay a seller who had the complete sticker sheet. Then I found a scan of the manual for the sticker placement. The surfaces of Omega were dirty so I used a diluted rubbing alcohol/water solution with a cotton swab to remove the old adhesives.

Shockwave 75
04-13-2013, 04:22 PM
You probably could have gotten them cheaper from Reprolabels, and better quality too.

CBII
04-13-2013, 04:48 PM
I never buy figures with plans of reselling them later. Live for now. Put the stickers!

100% agree....it's just a TOY after all.

Also as someone else stated the sticker appling has already started so it's not really going to change the value of your set that much if you apply the rest.

If the set/figure is in great shape like you say then another collector will not have any issues paying if you opted to sell later.

ConvoyGTR
04-13-2013, 04:50 PM
I never buy figures with plans of reselling them later. Live for now. Put the stickers!That. But if feel it's not a keeper, then don't and resell it later.

You probably could have gotten them cheaper from Reprolabels, and better quality too.I was also going to recommend Reprolabels too. That way you keep the value and can always remove the reprolabels later. Though that might get messy.....

But for me only on G1 figures becuz it looks too plain otherwise. Otherwise, I hate stickers with a passion.

SleeplessKnight
04-13-2013, 11:30 PM
ahem, reprolab.... hey, did you really have to resurrect a FIVE YEAR old thread for this?