PDA

View Full Version : Transformers with Animal/Monster-based Alt Modes

Magnimus
07-08-2008, 07:17 PM
Hey everyone.

For my own personal enjoyment, I have been working on a series of fanfiction stories that, put together, attempt to logically explain the events that transpire between the end of the American G1 cartoon series and the beginning of the Beast Wars (Beasties) cartoon.

As part of this project, I am trying to track down every G1 Transformer that appeared before Beast Wars with one or more modes that were not based on a mechanical object or humanoid. For example, Laser Beak, the Dinobots, and the Terrorcons would all qualify because at least one of their modes is based on a real animal or, in the case of the Terrorcons, imaginary beasts.

Specifically, since I am more familiar with the G1 American cartoon than the wide array of toys that were never featured on TV, such as the Autobot Monsterbots, does anyone know of lists already compiled that would list the information I am looking for?

If not, can you help me out by naming as many as you can remember?

Cheers Ian
07-08-2008, 07:22 PM
Do all of Monstructors Robots count?

Cheers!
-Ian

Magnimus
07-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Yes, the Pretenders count, but I am already familiar with them.

GMfan
07-08-2008, 07:55 PM
Um would the Liokaiser team count? they had animal breastmasters, and animal helmets just a jet or ground vehicle alt mode...

brr-icy
07-08-2008, 07:58 PM
watch the episode "call of the primatives" it has most of the beasts on it from season 1-3, trypticon, predacons, monsterbots, ramhorn, steeljaw, beastbox, squalktalk, slugfest, overkill, pounce and wingspan, decepticon headmasters all have a beast alt mode i think, sixshot, sky lynx, insections and deluxe insecticons, that's about all i can remember at the moment lol

Magnimus
07-08-2008, 08:17 PM
watch the episode "call of the primatives" it has most of the beasts on it from season 1-3, trypticon, predacons, monsterbots, ramhorn, steeljaw, beastbox, squalktalk, slugfest, overkill, pounce and wingspan, decepticon headmasters all have a beast alt mode i think, sixshot, sky lynx, insections and deluxe insecticons, that's about all i can remember at the moment lol

Thanks, but as I said in my post, I'm pretty familiar with the characters featured in the cartoon, and I'm hoping people will point me to other more (to me) obscure characters. For example, I didn't know the Monsterbots existed until today because they actually didn't appear in that episode.

brr-icy
07-08-2008, 08:38 PM
deathsaurus, victory leo, horri-bull, doubledealer, fangry, sparkcons, scorponok, black zarak, quickswitch, sixknight, greatshot, and a bunch of pretenders, that's it. by the way the monsterbots names are: doublecross, repugnus, and grotusque

-KG-
07-09-2008, 09:52 AM
Flamefeather, Sparkstalker, Cindersaur, The Seacons, Squeezeplay, Doubledealer. There are more...

Aernaroth
07-09-2008, 12:30 PM
What, noone's going to say ravage, ratbat, or buzzsaw? Although technically, they were animals in ROBOT mode, and the cassette was their alt mode. Does that throw a wrench into things?

slippy
07-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Um would the Liokaiser team count? they had animal breastmasters, and animal helmets just a jet or ground vehicle alt mode...

:D

Blitzwing
07-09-2008, 03:07 PM
Decepticon Headmasters:
Scorponok
Mindwipe
Skullcruncher
Weirdwolf
Snaptrap
Apeface

Pretender Beasts:
Catilla
Chainclaw
Carnivac
Snarler

Some Pretenders who's inner shells also had Beast Modes:
Octopunch
Pincher
Stranglehold

Monster Pretenders:
Icepick
Bristleback
Scowl
Slog
Wildfly
Birdbrain

Barpharanges
07-09-2008, 03:40 PM
You realize the only reason the Maximals and Predicons assumed animal(beast) alt modes on energon infested Earth was to give themselves an alternative biological method of functioning. Their Original Cybertronian systems could only tolerate the extra raw energon for short periods of time, so Robot mode was limited on earth.
Both Maximals and Predicons were assumed to have vehicle modes on Cybertron (As I recall, prime was a monster truck, and Megatron was a mobile weapons platform)
The only difference between Maximals and Autobots (and Predicons versus Decipticons) is scale. The newer Maximals are much smaller than Autobots, almost human scale. The smaller size allows greater fuel economy...

GMfan
07-09-2008, 05:58 PM
This whole conversion from autobots to maximal story was kinda done in the old Botcon comics with Rodimus, Arcee turning into a spider, Primal Prime, Apelinq, the BW mutants, the new dinobots, and a slew of other characters.

The newer Maximals are much smaller than Autobots, almost human scale. The smaller size allows greater fuel economy...

Essentially they all became micromasters...or even mini-cons (course I call those micromasters since the -con suffix indicates they're Decepticons)

Magnimus
07-09-2008, 06:11 PM
This whole conversion from autobots to maximal story was kinda done in the old Botcon comics with Rodimus, Arcee turning into a spider, Primal Prime, Apelinq, the BW mutants, the new dinobots, and a slew of other characters.

I know, but I have a different take on it. I'm working more with the toon continuities and then cherry picking and reinventing items from the rest of canon.

You realize the only reason the Maximals and Predicons assumed animal(beast) alt modes on energon infested Earth was to give themselves an alternative biological method of functioning.

Yes, that is one way of looking at it, but the technology must have existed on Cybertron before they landed on prehistoric earth. I have detailed ideas for explaining the origin of that technology and how and why they came about creating the option to take organic modes. I hope to also set up events that take place between the series end and the beginning of Beast Wars that also will help make later events like Megatron's turn between Beast Wars and Beast Machines make more sense.

JLvatron
07-09-2008, 09:36 PM
What, noone's going to say ravage, ratbat, or buzzsaw?

No, because they were on the show.

Protoman
07-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Can't forgot the actionmaster partners that were animal based. Also Scorpia, the G1 Transformers transforming watch (that is also MAYBE female)

JLvatron
07-09-2008, 10:43 PM
There's a lot of good answers here, I've used to compile a list. Of the US G1 toys, besides Cartoon beasts and Pretenders,

The Seacons:
Snaptrap, Seawing, Skalor, Overbite, Tentakil, Nautilator

Monster Pretenders:
Icepick
Bristleback
Scowl
Slog
Wildfly
Birdbrain

Beastbox, Squalktalk
Quickswitch
Doubledealer and his Powermaster Skar,

S5 HEADMASTERS:
Squeezeplay, Horri-bull, Fangry
Firecons:
Flamefeather, Sparkstalker, Cindersaur

also in the realm of immoral Actionmasters, some of their partner guns had beast modes:
Jackpot's gun Sights (eagle)
Rad's gun Lionizer (lion)
Skyfall's gun Top-Heavy (rhino)
Snarl's gun Tyrranatron (T-rex)
Banzai-tron's gun Razor-sharp (crab)
Devastator's gun Scorpulator (scorpion)
Krok's gun Gatoraider (alligator)
Soundwave's gun Wingthing (bat)
Treadshot's gun Catgut (panther)

Protoman
07-09-2008, 10:54 PM
Soundwave's gun ? (it was a bird)

Wingthing, he was a bat.

Protoman
07-09-2008, 11:16 PM
Essentially they all became micromasters...or even mini-cons (course I call those micromasters since the -con suffix indicates they're Decepticons)

Actually the more correct term, is the japanese name MiCRON. Since they were created by Unicron.

JLvatron
07-09-2008, 11:17 PM
Wingthing, he was a bat.

Thanks. Updated the list. :cool:

JLvatron
07-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Actually the more correct term, is the japanese name MiCRON. Since they were created by Unicron.

Micromasters were Japanly created by Unicron? Details please! :)

GMfan
07-09-2008, 11:32 PM

I phased out of the Armada show because the animation and story bothered me too much, I liked most of the toys despite some of their brickyness