PDA

View Full Version : Is new pricing keeping you away?

Soundwaves
04-06-2022, 01:03 PM
I've seen some stuff come out and normally, if it's new and in a line I'm collecting, I'll just buy it.

For the toy and the small hit of dopamine if gives me.

Now, I have to look at the price.

Feels like a 50% increase in the last couple of years and while I understand inflation and freight are WAY up, I still can't justify what these things are starting to cost now.

Anyone else just getting less satisfaction at these prices?

It's like I've gone a from a weed addiction to a cocaine problem.

Value in vs value out is just out of whack for me now.

MahtimusPrime09
04-06-2022, 01:13 PM
I just saw the title of this thread and before even reading it I thought "Yes! Absolutely!".

Collecting isn't the same for me anymore when it comes to retail. It's sad to say but I don't even care to go to retail stores anymore to check because no matter what I find, the price throws me off. The feeling of satisfaction that you mentioned is just not really there anymore.

I was very much a Generations collector but within the last couple of years I've barely touched that line. It's been mostly other things now (TCG, Kre-O, comics, Studio Series but not from retail).

Ok enough with my rant. I still love collecting but it's just from another angle now.

Tiffster
04-06-2022, 01:17 PM
Yes. I'm in a toysrus right now fully stocked but $50 for silverstreak is unbelievable

xueyue2
04-06-2022, 01:17 PM
No I'm not. I was driven away by the old price hike 2 years ago already.

canprime
04-06-2022, 01:24 PM
I have bought 2 items at full price so far this year (not counting preorders that are due to ship this year).

Neither item was a Transformer.

Everything else has been purchased on sale/clearance. The price increases, especially the most recent, have just made it too expensive to be worthwhile in most cases.

TRU is a deserted town in my mind now. Walmart is only a go to for me when I am doing shopping, and Amazon/ GameStop are basically only online hunting for deals, with the odd preorder for something I really want. (Though no preorders with Amazon since last year)

I actually have spent more with the online retailers here than in stores.

So yeah pricing has made it less enjoyable for me, and that is actually a good thing. It has made me take that extra beat to think before buying, which has helped avoid buyer's remorse. Also it has lead me to enjoy some of my older stuff more because I am not constantly buying new stuff.

I think it will be interesting to compare things again later in the year and see if anything has changed.

evenstaves
04-06-2022, 01:30 PM
Same as I said the last time this topic was raised:

-> thrift shops are your friend
-> make your own discounts (WM Rewards MasterCard)
-> pounce on any exclusives you are interested in, cause aftermarket only gets worse, not better

But actually I'll add a new one, a dream for the future:
-> let EB take Target's exclusives/Buzzworthy line so we can ditch TRU forever

delrue
04-06-2022, 01:40 PM
Not yet. I didn't start collecting until Siege and it's still cheaper to buy the new figures than it is back collecting or 3rd party. As long as the articulation doesn't start to suffer I'll keep buying figures that interest me for now.

Also, NEVER sign up for a credit card just for the rewards points.

Yonoid
04-06-2022, 01:42 PM
Its definitely made me more selective now. Legacy blitzwing in the past maybe at $60 I can overlook some of the bad designs, at $77 and tax no thanks.

Ss bee movie guys look interesting but not at $36 and tax, core class guys for $16-17 easy pass.

Also with supply issues and overall I think a lot more collectors now than before covid you have to pretty much preorder to get stuff. High gas prices i don't feel like driving around trying to find a figure.

Eb is pretty much the best place to get a small.discount if you have an edge card and you don't need to pay up front, they have been my go to the past 2 years.

Northerncrowe
04-06-2022, 03:07 PM
Yup. I would've jumped into legacy by now but I'll wait for a huge sale just to get last years' ridiculous price points.

Listening to Proto's podcast with AA just got me bummed about how everything has changed since Armada. Yeah I'm they are making show accurate G1 goodies but everything is tiny and the quality of the plastic is cheaper. I would love to jump back into MPs but not at 200$ a pop.

And the distribution issues are a pain. I paid for a few joe figures ages ago but I have zero idea when they'll get here.
You had me Hasbro but I'm almost all the way out the door.

Kheoth
04-06-2022, 03:12 PM
Definitely!

I bought every release of the Prime war trilogy and Siege and Earthrise and early studio series. Now I've ditched studio series (except some '86) and cherry picking trough Kingdom.

When a leader cost as much as a new videogame release, I know where my money's going. I'd rather play 100+ hours on Elden Ring which will last me a few months, than get a figure that's going to get dusty then thrown into storage when next wave comes. That Blitzwing sure does look great tough.....

RNSrobot
04-06-2022, 03:24 PM
Definitely!

I bought every release of the Prime war trilogy and Siege and Earthrise and early studio series. Now I've ditched studio series (except some '86) and cherry picking trough Kingdom.

When a leader cost as much as a new videogame release, I know where my money's going. I'd rather play 100+ hours on Elden Ring which will last me a few months, than get a figure that's going to get dusty then thrown into storage when next wave comes. That Blitzwing sure does look great tough.....

It's one thing to have price increases, but we went from $20 deluxes at the end of Prime Wars to $30 to start WFC. The line basically came out in 2019. Ten bucks per price point was massive, but especially for deluxes. Okay. fine.

Now, just three years later, we're at $37 dollars, 47 dollars, 77 dollars. Deluxes have doubled in price.

I get that crates from China cost a lot more. I get that there is inflation. I get all of that. But I don't believe for a second that this is all justified. I think it's clear that Hasbro has seen toy sales dwindle and is also using the price increase to gouge the die-hards and keep the bottom line seemingly "increasing." Artificial growth.

Anyway, whatever the reason... I used to walk into the store and be like, shit, I'll impulse buy this guy, or that guy. Easy. And if prices were 25/35 for voyagers, even STILL just at 30/40, I might do some of that. But I saw Tigatron at Walmart last week and... 47 dollars.

Can't do it.

Blitzwing is a huge bummer. I could totally overlook the negatives of the toy for 60, but not 80.

I'm naive. The days of walking out of TRU or Walmart with all five CW Stunticons for 110 bucks + tax are gone. But to now ask me to pay 240 for a Menasor that isn't going to conceivably be any larger or significantly "better" is ludicrous.

Ozrein
04-06-2022, 03:38 PM
Yes and no. I'm certainly more selective about what I'm buying but I'm still interested in some figures and will just have to pay the price for those particular figures. There are others that appeal to me but I'm passing on those, mostly due to cost.

xueyue2
04-06-2022, 04:08 PM
I wish there is a "like" button in this site just like TFW2005, then I will click each one above.

Autovolt 127
04-06-2022, 04:18 PM
I'm not sure yet, I'll need to find different methods for the TRU/Target exclusive stuff though.

MonstaBot
04-06-2022, 04:23 PM
Agreed!

If you're patient you can find great deals on used loose or still in package toys at thrift stores, specialty shops, conventions and even here on the boards.

I was at a vintage toy shop downtown last week and they had recent stuff from Siege to Kingdom with deluxes from only $10 to $20!!! Ugh! If I had only known. I already bought most of them these past years some at retail and some on deals but even the deals cost more than this shop! Best buys SS Hot Rod $20, Siege Cog and some random legends from Prime and WFC trilogies only $5 each and a MIB original BW T-Wrecks for just $40.

Same weekend at the toy show I got so many great deals on older and newer toys as well=:p Toys I paid waaay more for in the past or recently cuz I bought as soon as they came out. I did however manage to snag a brand new Kingdom Blaster for only $30 cuz the box was heavily creased but toy inside was mint!!! Also it was good toy karma cuz the dealer and I do biz with each other all the time =;) $30 gets me so nostalgic for the old days of affordable toys=;p

I was pricing voyagers at Walmart and did a double take when I saw the price $47+!!!! And the Cyberverse warrior class is $33+ Ugh!!!

You really have to be a hardcore 'collector' to buy toys at full retail these days... Daze=;) I get great deals here and there from my wheeling and dealing and hookups but even I sometimes fall for the lure of retail....I need to learn to curb my instant reaction of grabbing new stuff at retail as soon as they come out=:/

Same as I said the last time this topic was raised:

-> thrift shops are your friend
-> make your own discounts (WM Rewards MasterCard)
-> pounce on any exclusives you are interested in, cause aftermarket only gets worse, not better

But actually I'll add a new one, a dream for the future:
-> let EB take Target's exclusives/Buzzworthy line so we can ditch TRU forever

alternatorfan
04-06-2022, 04:34 PM
Definitely!

No he doesn't, it's an eyesore. Short.

Marcotron
04-06-2022, 04:50 PM
So, I apologize if my constant posts about this subject are getting annoying, but it is a very important factor for me, in making Transformers purchases.

When the infrequent sale price is higher than the perceived customer valuation of the product, a purchase will not be made. And that's where I'm at.

I value a deluxe at $20, and they are now up at a variable rate around $36.
Voyagers held off the price increases, so I did get Cyclonus and Sweep at the $40 price, but $50 is higher than the value of that size class, forget it.
Leaders, I cannot fathom what makes them worth $85, when compared to recent voyagers that are literally the same size.
The last titan class figure I bought was Devastator, and got him on sale for I believe $120, which worked out to about $20 per figure. The high and increasing price of Fort max, Metroplex, and others have prevented me from considering them.

This massive price shift started with the Last Knight movie, when Hasbro started putting deluxes in boxes instead of blister packs, and charging $10 more for often the exact same toy as the previous film. Those dinobots from AOE were re-painted, re-packaged, and the price went up by $10 each for the same toy. You would think, the move towards more cardboard, and less plastic was a cost savings measure as well as an environmental one, but apparently not.

Just about the only figures I am considering purchasing this year, are the Bumblebee Kup, because my Titans return Kup has some floppy arms now after many play sessions with my children. And the legends class Daniel, because I need an exo suit for my display. I'm still disturbed that it's going to cost 17.99 for a simple tiny figure like that.

I am, looking forward to TFcon in the summer, where I always manage find fun older figures at a reasonable price to buy from great people who deserve my hard earned money.

imfallenangel
04-06-2022, 05:05 PM
Still the same approach since the last price hikes... I just plan to get those that seriously appeals to me.

The good thing about the present, is that with so much selection from the older stuff that's decently prices, IF you didn't miss the ones that exploded in scalper's pricing heaven.

I have managed to increase my collection so much in the last several years that I'm actually feeling content with all of the figures and characters that I have, and it would take miracles for me to rebuy any characters now... Blitzwing being a great example of how Hasbro can completely miss the mark and leave me happy with the TR version.

I had only a few figures on pre-order since the last increase, and now just one left (SS BB movie Arcee). Out of everything that's been announced, I look forward to see what's coming, but odds are very low that I'll end up getting more than maybe 1 or 2 other figures for the rest of the year as even some that may look decent, they are made too cheaply (transparent plastic painted over, too many quality issues, too many gaps, etc.) for the price/value.

Because of Hasbro going towards the cartoonish look and cutting corners like crazy while increasing prices, I hit the 3rd party market fairly hard lately and even then, never spent that much more IF even at all more than similar size/class figures but that are much better quality than Hasbro has done.

So yes, the pricing is absolutely killing my interest, but even more is the quality issues, the cheap feel that many figures have, the value that isn't there for the price... which includes the gaps and the lack of decent accessories. (heck, I just purchased 4 more kits to fix/finish 4 more figures so that they can be my "definitive" versions)

But also in the end, they just aren't giving much of anything that actually interest me or feels worth getting to add to my collection.

Funny thing is that I just bought a few more older figures on eBay in the last week, including today, for some that I missed out on many years ago, and even that's running out.

Sun Swipe Prime
04-06-2022, 05:18 PM
Yep, I'm punching out for a lot of the new stuff now. It's not just about the price hikes. It's about bang for your buck. Compare a leader class from a while back to one now, and it's not even close. Back in the day I could literally beat someone to death with a ROTF leader prime. Today, it'd be like trying to hit someone with a ball of tinfoil.

I remember when I first started collecting again just after the first movie. There was a 30% off sale, and I got nine deluxe figures for around $100. I'd be lucky to get three now.

Charging more for less, I'm not playing that game.

Atomicgarden
04-06-2022, 05:42 PM
Yes and no. I’m not getting priced out yet, but I’m more selective now. I’ll still get my must buy, but those ?*maybe*? figures now I’m skipping and avoiding impulse buy, unless I stumble on a bargain/discount. I went back to collecting during WFC, so I’m on a mission now to complete a certain lineup of figures I want. Once I’m done, maybe I’ll be done for good. I might buy some figures, but I don’t think I’ll buy the WFC/Legacy guys again.

steamwhistle
04-06-2022, 06:17 PM
Definitely a factor.

Before the price hike, I might see something which looks like it could be fun, and I'd buy it. I'd fiddle with it for a bit, and then let the offspring have at it.

Now they are too much for such casual fun.

Collectingtoys
04-06-2022, 06:33 PM
Costs $10 in gasoline just to drive out to a Toys R Us or Walmart to be met with disappointment and even higher prices.

wervenom
04-06-2022, 07:14 PM
Is new pricing keeping you away?

Yes

RNSrobot
04-06-2022, 07:30 PM
Yep, I'm punching out for a lot of the new stuff now. It's not just about the price hikes. It's about bang for your buck. Compare a leader class from a while back to one now, and it's not even close. Back in the day I could literally beat someone to death with a ROTF leader prime. Today, it'd be like trying to hit someone with a ball of tinfoil.

I remember when I first started collecting again just after the first movie. There was a 30% off sale, and I got nine deluxe figures for around $100. I'd be lucky to get three now.

Or even Literally Right now. Compare ss leader grimlock and slag to blitzwing or shockwave. Wtf

Echotransformer
04-06-2022, 07:44 PM
Still the same approach since the last price hikes... I just plan to get those that seriously appeals to me.

The good thing about the present, is that with so much selection from the older stuff that's decently prices, IF you didn't miss the ones that exploded in scalper's pricing heaven.

I have managed to increase my collection so much in the last several years that I'm actually feeling content with all of the figures and characters that I have, and it would take miracles for me to rebuy any characters now... Blitzwing being a great example of how Hasbro can completely miss the mark and leave me happy with the TR version.

I had only a few figures on pre-order since the last increase, and now just one left (SS BB movie Arcee). Out of everything that's been announced, I look forward to see what's coming, but odds are very low that I'll end up getting more than maybe 1 or 2 other figures for the rest of the year as even some that may look decent, they are made too cheaply (transparent plastic painted over, too many quality issues, too many gaps, etc.) for the price/value.

Because of Hasbro going towards the cartoonish look and cutting corners like crazy while increasing prices, I hit the 3rd party market fairly hard lately and even then, never spent that much more IF even at all more than similar size/class figures but that are much better quality than Hasbro has done.

So yes, the pricing is absolutely killing my interest, but even more is the quality issues, the cheap feel that many figures have, the value that isn't there for the price... which includes the gaps and the lack of decent accessories. (heck, I just purchased 4 more kits to fix/finish 4 more figures so that they can be my "definitive" versions)

But also in the end, they just aren't giving much of anything that actually interest me or feels worth getting to add to my collection.

Funny thing is that I just bought a few more older figures on eBay in the last week, including today, for some that I missed out on many years ago, and even that's running out.

Yep, this is pretty much where I'm at...way more selective, both higher prices and less value (2-way pinch)...definitely taking a lot of steam out of the hobby.

Napseeker
04-06-2022, 08:03 PM
Each time there's been a noticeable price jump, I usually just cut down what I buy by about 1/4 or 1/5 (to maintain my strict monthly budget).

I didn't mind the Seige/ERise price jump at the time because it came with a perceivable increase in the quality and likeness of the TFs.

However, yeah the subsequent price increases since then are now really putting a halt to any impulse buys, and for sure any higher-end TF (VOY or Leader or Titan) that isn't 95% perfect to my idealized version of that character.

A good example is Blitzwing at $80+ is making me think hard: he has a great robot mode, but his two other modes are trash IMO, so I may just wait until the price drops more steeply to maybe $55 or $60. If I miss out on him, oh well... just give it a few years and Hasbro will either release a better version of him, or re-release the same toy again in some "archive" line.

To sum: if Hasbro doesn't nail the character almost perfectly at these prices, it's a pass.

Lioconvoy81
04-06-2022, 08:32 PM
Not really.

I only collect figures that I?m absolutely positive are going to be the definitive version of a character on my shelf for all time. That?s a pretty high bar obviously, but it?s my only bar. Doesn?t matter to be if a deluxe is $35 if it?s good enough to meet that criterion.

Solauren
04-06-2022, 10:16 PM
Going by the Parameters I set myself when I started building my collection, I am nearly done anyway. I want one of each charaacter from original G1 (US, Japan, Comics) to and including what was on Beasties/Beast Wars (and maybe Beast Machines), and as close to G1 as feasible. So, the price isn't keeping me away.

VicRav
04-06-2022, 10:52 PM
I am feeling a bit more picky because of the pricing. The combination of inconsistent stock availability for some figures and the increasing in prices is really sucking my desire to collect at times. I have various unpaid preorders with Gamestop and if some of those preorders don't get stocked I don't know if I could be bothered to hunt for them elsewhere - something I have done in the past.

savagephil
04-06-2022, 11:23 PM
It is for me, I would collect the obscure character like Silvestreak but now, no dice, will focus on completing characters needed in the g1 series and bw. Legacy line wave one just the kickback, skids, dragstrip, bulkhead and iguanas for me.

Only things I will be chasing are the rest of the studio series leader dinobots, updated bombshell, shrapnel, minibots from season 1-4, rest of the predacons, maximals from bw, selects tentakill, overbite, if they release the headmaster Jr's, apart, already got a fangry. maybe updated versions of say bludgeon, thunderwing, needlenose, a monstructor, dezaraus and proper liokaiser and I'm done collecting, will have best representations of characters.

I know eventually they will all be released again with better engineering etc, where the wfc line will look like prime wars trilogy, but don't care. It will be suited perfectly for me.

Who knows what the prices of them will be down the road.

I guess best bet for a lot of people is pick in choose who u want and need. Unless u can afford it, then by all means

That blitzwing is a huge disappointment, but it will save me 90 bucks, the Titans return one is better, if I had the takara legends one who would ever need it. Only way I would by that is if on clearance, for 25 30 bucks like those siege magnus were on.

Hasbro is a playing with fire, with these increases and seems the quality is lackin, so far with legacy, we will see Tuesday if they step up their game. Studio series 86 line is where so far it has almost been perfect

General Tekno
04-07-2022, 01:55 AM
It's definitely why most all of my toy purchases are being done through Gamestop these days.

10% makes a big difference when nobody is doing regular sales anymore.

Collectingtoys
04-08-2022, 05:00 PM
Can't wait for the pricing on this!

$150 CAD?!?

https://news.tfw2005.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/10/2022/04/K-002.jpg
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=85362

Darkroar
04-08-2022, 05:43 PM
Price is part of the equation for me. I can afford to collect as much as I used to, but the price doesn't seem good value.

At the same time it's not only the price. I think I got burnt out on Transformers in general. I've been collecting a lot since around the end of Armada, so it probably had to happen eventually. I've owned so many Optimus Prime's, Megatrons, etc that there comes a point where you don't get hyped for the next version of the same thing. I'm content with older versions of most of these characters like Titans Blitzwing versus the new one, so that's also a factor.

This year I only plan on picking up 3 Transformers from what we've heard about (Beast Wars TM2 Megatron, Inferno, and Tarantulas). I'm open on getting other things, if something amazing comes out, but that's about it.

xueyue2
04-08-2022, 05:44 PM
Can't wait for the pricing on this!

$150 CAD?!?

https://news.tfw2005.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/10/2022/04/K-002.jpg
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=85362

Hasbro, we don't deserve such a nice figure with so reasonable asking price....please keep it to yourself. :bow:

CyberDragon10K
04-08-2022, 09:59 PM
Pick and choose, as always.

At this point I mostly want to finish out some choice '86 movie rep/stuff that I don't yet have... probably the leftover Dinobots and Galvatron (from Legacy).

If anything (else) looks particularly good, I'll consider it. But I'll probably wait and see what the big e-tailers decide to fire sale around Christmas this year most likely.

alternatorfan
04-09-2022, 04:13 AM
It better vibrate for that price...then I could f'$ck myself and still pay hasblow...lol.

Yonoid
04-09-2022, 08:25 AM
It better vibrate for that price...then I could f'$ck myself and still pay hasblow...lol.

Lmao

I'm willing to bet like every other commander after the initial release it will shelf warming and be heavily discounted.

The 12th Prime
04-09-2022, 08:40 AM
Price is part of the equation for me. I can afford to collect as much as I used to, but the price doesn't seem good value.

At the same time it's not only the price. I think I got burnt out on Transformers in general. I've been collecting a lot since around the end of Armada, so it probably had to happen eventually. I've owned so many Optimus Prime's, Megatrons, etc that there comes a point where you don't get hyped for the next version of the same thing. I'm content with older versions of most of these characters like Titans Blitzwing versus the new one, so that's also a factor.

This year I only plan on picking up 3 Transformers from what we've heard about (Beast Wars TM2 Megatron, Inferno, and Tarantulas). I'm open on getting other things, if something amazing comes out, but that's about it.

Couldn’t have said this any better, though I am not burnt out I can be more selective. Definitely feel burned by the Legacy and some of the Kingdom and SS 86 lines redoing figures we just got in the previous trilogy line. WFC was a bit of a let down for me as I’ve collected the Classics/Henkei and TR/Legends and I still like and enjoy those figures. Some of the upgrades have been nice like the seekers and a decent Soundwave but I was looking forward to actual cybetronian modes and I’ve used some TR and WFC to fill out my Cybertronian roster since the wheels hide well in bot mode and the smaller figures give me the impression the bots grow or get upgraded over time and some downgraded by damage in battle. So my G1 and Cybertronian collection is a mix of a few lines putting the bots in best places with the best looks.I wonder what a Cybertronian Powerglide looks like?

Patate
04-09-2022, 03:44 PM
At the current pricing, there's definitely much less impulse buy when I see a toy in-store, but also, another factor that really repels me is the window of the packaging without any protection on Legacy and forward.

I went to WM yesterday for some errands and I went to the toy section and there's a Ravage that's half ripped out.

So not only we have to deal with more expensive, smaller figures with questionable QC, now we have to deal with some toys that might have some parts stolen, dusty or even dirty.

I'm just waiting to see how the rumored BW Dragon Megatron will look like and after that, I will be slowing down my collecting.

Goaliebot
04-09-2022, 06:48 PM
I'll just have to buy fewer to keep my spending flat. The past 2 price hikes have just been way over the top in amount and how soon each happened.

alternatorfan
04-09-2022, 10:17 PM
Lmao

I'm willing to bet like every other commander after the initial release it will shelf warming and be heavily discounted.

I don't know the rodimus prime is still in eb games and not moving. Nor discounts.
Will they get the new leader pricing once in effect??

Yonoid
04-09-2022, 11:07 PM
I don't know the rodimus prime is still in eb games and not moving. Nor discounts.

Rodimus was on sale a number of times on amazon and walmart, As low as around $80-90 I think. I Imagine those will show up at Winners at some point

Jetfire was discounted to $50 at TRU

Sky Lynx was spotted at Winners for $50

Crobot91
04-09-2022, 11:46 PM
Out of curiosity, is there a reason why Gamestop's prices are still reasonable when comparing them to Wallys & TRU? Should we expect them to inflate their prices too in the near future?

I currently only buy from Gamestop with my 15% Onyx discount and from Hasbro Pulse.

Only recent items I've bought from Walmart and TRU are their exclusives like vintage Beast Wars and TMNT reissues and NECA TMNT stuff.

WereDragon EX
04-10-2022, 12:25 AM
Out of curiosity, is there a reason why Gamestop's prices are still reasonable when comparing them to Wallys & TRU? Should we expect them to inflate their prices too in the near future?

I currently only buy from Gamestop with my 15% Onyx discount and from Hasbro Pulse.

Only recent items I've bought from Walmart and TRU are their exclusives like vintage Beast Wars and TMNT reissues and NECA TMNT stuff.

Reasonable before the Edge discount or after it is applied?

General Tekno
04-10-2022, 01:02 AM
Yeah, with the Commanders/Titans, I generally avoid paying MSRP and just wait for a decent enough sale. As those DO tend to get discounted eventually.

RNSrobot
04-10-2022, 02:53 AM

Rodimus has been 95 bucks on amazon for a few days. Walmart . ca as well IIRC.

He was 75 bucks on the toy snowman flash sale a week ago

I mean, I agree --- there are three at my local gamestop that have been there for months.

RNSrobot
04-10-2022, 02:54 AM
Rodimus was on sale a number of times on amazon and walmart, As low as around $80-90 I think. I Imagine those will show up at Winners at some point

Jetfire was discounted to $50 at TRU

Sky Lynx was spotted at Winners for $50

You are correct... but it's also a total crapshoot if you can find one at Winners/Homesense, or actually find one in stock when TRU does the big sales.

Tiffster
04-10-2022, 05:15 AM
You are correct... but it's also a total crapshoot if you can find one at Winners/Homesense, or actually find one in stock when TRU does the big sales.

I went everywhere looking hir that $50 discount Skylinx and never found it. I'm glad I did get it from Walmart when I found him even though I paid $100.

The 12th Prime
04-10-2022, 08:44 AM
Reasonable before the Edge discount or after it is applied?

Reasonable before and better after currently. I am pre ordering most of my stuff through them. There is a little creeping up going on with certain figures but they seem to be holding off for the moment.

evenstaves
04-10-2022, 08:57 AM
I went everywhere looking hir that $50 discount Skylinx and never found it

Same

RNSrobot
04-10-2022, 11:39 AM
I went everywhere looking hir that $50 discount Skylinx and never found it. I'm glad I did get it from Walmart when I found him even though I paid $100.

Yah, I think I got mine for 90-100 or so. Jetfire might have been 80 on Amazon.

It's definitely true that the largest classes tend to go on good sales.

At the same time, you risk missing out entirely waiting for that "unbelievable deal."

I don't think you ever need to pay MSRP for a Commander/Titan, but holding out for half-price or lower is a fool's errand. Fine if you can live without the piece, but silly if you really want it.

Also Sky-Lynx and Jetfire both rocked.

Akroyer
04-14-2022, 03:48 PM
No I'm not. I was driven away by the old price hike 2 years ago already.

This is my answer, I picked up maybe 2 things in the last 2 years with no plans to really get anything else.

I find it sad, since of course now that Im not buying the local WM is full of stuff I would have loved to picked up 2+ years ago. But, not now with the prices as they are.

Yonoid
04-14-2022, 04:02 PM
I was at Walmart today and a mother was looking for a figure for her son. And she says to me these are really expensive. She ended up getting a cyberverse since it was on sale but man if regular collectors are questioning buying at msrp, its killing off the avg parent buying a random toy.

justprime
04-14-2022, 04:05 PM
pricing ,lack of product, product that's a specific retailer with NO equal or representation here in Canada (thinking for example runabout )leaving insane pricing secondary market,QC issues, hollowed out toys for double the price at half the size,yup I'd say I have been out for a couple of years now and loosing interest fast only thing keeping me attuned is third party at this point....

Collectingtoys
04-14-2022, 05:40 PM
I was at Walmart today and a mother was looking for a figure for her son. And she says to me these are really expensive. She ended up getting a cyberverse since it was on sale but man if regular collectors are questioning buying at msrp, its killing off the avg parent buying a random toy.

Yes, this happened to me at Toys R Us a couple of weeks ago.

Little changes like this in the purchasing behaviour makes less kids being exposed to the brand, eventually those of us get old and die with no new fans to replace us.

Every country, religion, sport, brand, etc. needs the children!

Atomicgarden
04-14-2022, 06:00 PM

I remember, I was Christmas shopping at TRU and a man picked up leader Slag and told his wife : 72.99$ that?s impossible, it must be a mistake. Then his wife confirmed it was the real price and they laughed and just left it there. We are collectors, but these kinds of situations will happen more and more with parents.

canprime
04-14-2022, 06:36 PM
I remember, I was Christmas shopping at TRU and a man picked up leader Slag and told his wife : 72.99$ that?s impossible, it must be a mistake. Then his wife confirmed it was the real price and they laughed and just left it there. We are collectors, but these kinds of situations will happen more and more with parents.

I liken the current trend to newspapers, or comics.

They trend older for a demographic, which is shrinking (ala action figures specifically), and they are facing competition from alternate media (video games, tablets, etc). So what do they do? Keep raising prices and shrinking the product. That has really worked out well for newspapers and comics, so of course it will work wonders for action figures.

I was stunned a couple weeks ago when my parents were visiting. They still get a daily newspaper, and when I picked one up for them it was almost $3!!!! That works out to almost $100 a month, if not more for the bigger weekend editions. I remember they were just a quarter when I was a kid.

RNSrobot
04-14-2022, 07:27 PM
I liken the current trend to newspapers, or comics.

They trend older for a demographic, which is shrinking (ala action figures specifically), and they are facing competition from alternate media (video games, tablets, etc). So what do they do? Keep raising prices and shrinking the product. That has really worked out well for newspapers and comics, so of course it will work wonders for action figures.

I was stunned a couple weeks ago when my parents were visiting. They still get a daily newspaper, and when I picked one up for them it was almost $3!!!! That works out to almost $100 a month, if not more for the bigger weekend editions. I remember they were just a quarter when I was a kid.

THIS

ALL OF THIS

Alexander Quinn
04-14-2022, 09:02 PM
The new pricing has definitely moved me away from being a Hasbro fanboy. My entire collection used to be Transformers, Marvel Legends, Star Wars Black Series, and Power Rangers. This last year saw a big chunk of my budget go to McFarlane Toys for the DC Multiverse line and to Mattel for Masters of the Universe stuff. While prices have gone up for everything only Hasbro has been hitting that increase button this hard. Hasbro had these lines on shelves at the end of 2019 for $29.99 and now here we are not even a full three years later and the average item is now around $35.99. I can buy a DC figure for $24.99 or a Masterverse MOTU figure for $29.99 still (though I have seen some stores price those at $32.99). Hasbro is very clearly using all the excuses they can (COVID, cost of shipping, etc.) to gouge and profit more off of their customers, while other companies have chosen to only raise their prices as needed. I will still grab a Hasbro product now and then (bless that Onyx GameStop discount and being able to pay off preorders over time), but they lost me as a hardcore customer.

Powered Convoy
04-14-2022, 09:15 PM
The cost of Buzzworthy Blue Silverstreak made me question this hobby :rofl:

MapleMegatron
04-14-2022, 10:40 PM
pricing ,lack of product, product that's a specific retailer with NO equal or representation here in Canada (thinking for example runabout )leaving insane pricing secondary market,QC issues, hollowed out toys for double the price at half the size,yup I'd say I have been out for a couple of years now and loosing interest fast only thing keeping me attuned is third party at this point....

I don't get the part about Runabout. He was available at TRU, as much as he was in US Targets

imfallenangel
04-15-2022, 12:29 AM
I don't get the part about Runabout. He was available at TRU, as much as he was in US Targets

What do you not get?

That he was the short number per box and was near impossible to get for most people?

I got one because I happened to go to TrU when they had just stocked the shelf and decided to not hesitate getting him... and never saw him again, and seen so many posts on forums/threads about people missing out that I lost count. Runamuck was also scarce as hell BUT got re-issued in a later wave and while I ended up ordering one before he returned in stores, I barely saw a few more afterwards.

If you managed to get one, it's not because there were an appropriate number of them, it's because you got lucky and grabbed one before the few numbers out there disappeared.

He goes (just checked) used for over 120$ CAD, and new for at least 150$ CAD.. (plus shipping), and the numbers of available figures I just saw on ebay is very low (under 12).

And this is the same reality for a massive number of figures, this is the "new normal".

justprime
04-15-2022, 08:16 AM
my point being toys r us if your lucky to have one around I am in northern ontario , never seen one at either wally or EB games ,online toysrus not available presumed out of stock which is the major problem and my point ,, out of stock, no supply , short fall that leaves a 40.00 toy 120.00 on secondary market for a NEW TOY, that's half of titan class piece for a twin to runabout that should have been in more abundance ,along with the other above issues I used this piece as an example among many for my reason to step back ,that said it's nothing new for the canadian market shortfalls have been happening since g1 days,overpriced and no substantial supply or cancelled final run figures have soured it for me personally .......

Magnimus
04-15-2022, 08:17 AM
The pricing is certainly keeping me away moving forward. Once I pick up the upcoming Beast Wars figures like Tarantulas and the rumoured Inferno, get the G1 style insectacons, and finish off Menasor, I?m pretty much done. I can?t afford to collect the majority of a wave anymore and I can?t afford to take a chance on figures I might not care that much about. Legacy Bulkhead might be a great figure, but Hasbro is forcing my hand to be very picky. The pricing is also outpacing the figure quality. Hasbro seems to think people will pay premium adult collectible prices for figures that are still being made, designed, and marketed as kid?s toys. Just look at Legacy with those awful ?energon-infused? weapons. Legacy Blitzwing and those stupid hand cannons is a prime example. That is meant to appeal to children but children can?t afford these toys and I suspect a lot of parents can?t either. Hasbro keeps making figures with transparent plastic parts that are going to break sooner rather than later. Transformers can?t survive at these prices while turning out expensive kid fodder that the adult collector market is going to ultimately reject because the price just won?t be worth it anymore.

Overlord2004
04-15-2022, 08:54 AM
Yes spending over 37 bucks for a deluxe is a lot kinda only buy when on sale or my favourites like for sure gonna buy them I recently bought a lot on eBay for 70 bucks including a complet rotf leader prime and complete dotm shockwave was fun

Whisky Tango Foxtrot
04-15-2022, 10:12 AM
There are a lot of figures in the recent Legacy reveals that I would have jumped on if the prices were still reasonable, but at current prices a toy has to be near-perfect to justify the purchase, and none of these are.

imfallenangel
04-15-2022, 10:35 AM
There are a lot of figures in the recent Legacy reveals that I would have jumped on if the prices were still reasonable, but at current prices a toy has to be near-perfect to justify the purchase, and none of these are.

What's crazy is how some defend the figure as "perfect" and get seriously get condescending if you dare state any flaws.

The number of kits I ended up getting in the last 2-3 years is a show of the problem. I hate spending almost the same that I did for the figure a second time to complete them, but I see it as these are the last versions that I'll ever get of such figures and just want them to look and feel "right".

And that includes the latest figures I got such as SS BB Brawn (Gamestop with 10% off) with the toilet capacity, I ended up ordering a lid for it that ends up used as a shield. There was no reason that Hasbro couldn't have "fix" this.

But one thing about pricing, is that I've been at TrU twice (once because of non-TF related thing, and once due to the "sale" for the older wave and the only figure available was Arcee) since the price increase and I did not see a single toy gone from the previous visit.

Aside "collectors" I can't even imagine casual parent/kids buying anything at those prices.. maybe the grandparents that know nothing about TF/pricing and just grab something for the grandkid's birthday or something.

Tiffster
04-15-2022, 11:00 AM

Not here he wasn't

Grimlocked
04-15-2022, 12:49 PM
Picked up Dragstrip and it didn't scan. Saw the $35.97 price tag at the register and bought it anyways since Menasor looks interesting.

Will I buy another deluxe? Probably not - only the remaining pieces and any other beast wars figure. Based on how it went from $18-$20, to $25-$30, then $35 for a "deluxe" to about $40 suddenly...? I'd expect to pay that if it were for a difficult to obtain figure at some comic book store but at this point, I feel priced out for legacy. When that amount is in direct competition to bills (in general), something is really wrong. I will stop completely when it hits $50 for a deluxe.

RNSrobot
04-15-2022, 01:10 PM
$50 for a deluxe.

*puke*

Atomicgarden
04-15-2022, 03:14 PM
Its crazy. Just last year, voyagers were 39.99, now deluxes are 36-37$

Grimlocked
04-15-2022, 04:47 PM
*puke*

Yeah, unfortunately, I can see that as a reality in about a year or two. They will give us some obscure reason ("Yup! Totally the "engineering" and the "paint work"!).

You know it's bad when the deluxes look hollow and there's a lack of effort in paint apps.

Patate
04-15-2022, 09:38 PM
Yeah, unfortunately, I can see that as a reality in about a year or two. They will give us some obscure reason ("Yup! Totally the "engineering" and the "paint work"!).

You know it's bad when the deluxes look hollow and there's a lack of effort in paint apps.

In that reality, leader class will also be $100+

I'm looking at my leader class toys presently and all I can think is: no way it's ever going to be worth $100

When you can lease an affordable car for around $200 a month, this potential price point really will be ridiculous.

WereDragon EX
04-15-2022, 11:58 PM
I'm just glad that a good chunk of Legacy doesn't really interest me, so that's money "saved", though I'd expect some of that to be wiped out by price increases on what I do buy. I'm morbidly curious to see how high Hasbro thinks they can push this envelope until even people like optibotimus, peaugh, emgo, GotBot, etc. start to tap out or post vehemently about prices.

Yes spending over 37 bucks for a deluxe is a lot kinda only buy when on sale or my favourites like for sure gonna buy them I recently bought a lot on eBay for 70 bucks including a complet rotf leader prime and complete dotm shockwave was fun

If you buy on sale now, you're essentially paying last year's regular price.

Grimlocked
04-16-2022, 08:27 AM
It's tricky because if you keep waiting for a sale, you also risk not getting the figure at all.

GotBot
04-16-2022, 09:47 AM
I've seen some stuff come out and normally, if it's new and in a line I'm collecting, I'll just buy it.

For the toy and the small hit of dopamine if gives me.

Now, I have to look at the price.

Feels like a 50% increase in the last couple of years and while I understand inflation and freight are WAY up, I still can't justify what these things are starting to cost now.

Anyone else just getting less satisfaction at these prices?

It's like I've gone a from a weed addiction to a cocaine problem.

Value in vs value out is just out of whack for me now.

Not 50 percent, a deluxe has jumped 85 percent (if you think it will settle now in 35 99. Though I see some with 36.99 to 42 and 44.99 a deluxe) since 2019. No other retail product of any kind has had that jump. Hasbro is on hard drugs with their ludicrous value propositions and it will continue if too many support it until they kill the franchise. Jumps like that won't be a sustainable business model overall though

RNSrobot
04-16-2022, 11:24 AM
In that reality, leader class will also be $100+

I'm looking at my leader class toys presently and all I can think is: no way it's ever going to be worth $100

When you can lease an affordable car for around $200 a month, this potential price point really will be ridiculous.

A new video game is eighty. A leader is eighty.

Value is in the eye of the beholder, but objectively, a video game is way more bang for the buck.

I just got kingdom galvatron. He's a fucking cool toy. I got him for sixty. 70, 75, 76.99, 80 Plus tax tho....

Same with commander rodimus. Just got him for a great deal. I think there's enough going on he's probably worth a bit more than a typical leader but 120? 125? The 140 Tru is charging? Not a chance. And beside sky-lynx and Jetfire it's ludicrous

ssjgoku22
04-16-2022, 12:13 PM

Value is in the eye of the beholder, but objectively, a video game is way more bang for the buck.

I just got kingdom galvatron. He's a fucking cool toy. I got him for sixty. 70, 75, 76.99, 80 Plus tax tho....

Same with commander rodimus. Just got him for a great deal. I think there's enough going on he's probably worth a bit more than a typical leader but 120? 125? The 140 Tru is charging? Not a chance. And beside sky-lynx and Jetfire it's ludicrous

Nah man, Leader's are $85 at TRU.

RNSrobot
04-16-2022, 12:20 PM
Nah man, Leader's are $85 at TRU.

Crinnnnnge.

delrue
04-16-2022, 01:44 PM
A new game is $80 but there is no reason to buy a game at release unless you just want to play it immediately or want to be a part of the early online meta.

There is very little reason to even bother with TRU at this point. With the amount they charge, their shipping rates and the price of gas you might as well just order their exclusives from the US and Asia if you need them, it'll cost the same and save you the hassle.

RNSrobot
04-16-2022, 04:39 PM
A new game is $80 but there is no reason to buy a game at release unless you just want to play it immediately or want to be a part of the early online meta.

There is very little reason to even bother with TRU at this point. With the amount they charge, their shipping rates and the price of gas you might as well just order their exclusives from the US and Asia if you need them, it'll cost the same and save you the hassle.

Bwbb Kup is basically going to be the same price to order from pulse as it will be to buy from TRU

*IF* I can even find one at TRU

NightshadeX
04-16-2022, 04:49 PM
Bwbb Kup is basically going to be the same price to order from pulse as it will be to buy from TRU

*IF* I can even find one at TRU

Yeah. That's why I ended up getting Kup and Blue Bluestreak from HasbroPulse (plus pre-order the three Legacy Beast Wars recolours) because per figure it's about the same if I was able to ever find them here. I only wish I was able to get Cliffjumper too, but I couldn't wait for another potential restock... It's really weird times for TFs.

I'm not sure I made the right choice to get those BW recolours/remold heads... But I think there have been a lot of high quality TFs recently. I'm torn these days that's for sure. The price is about to get me out...

Patate
04-16-2022, 09:29 PM

Yeah I agree that we each value something differently.
No wrong ways to spend your money as long as it's not putting you in financial trouble.

Same here, I want a Galvatron from Legacy (I don't own any version), but $76.99 for a somewhat small leader class compared to Grimlock, Slug or Sludge, it sure makes me hesitate.

Msol
04-17-2022, 11:07 AM

One takes up space. One takes up time.

Not sure which one costs more for me, to be honest 🤣

Brian12
04-17-2022, 11:39 AM
My local Walmart got Legacy Deluxes in and even tho I would’ve liked to get Dragstrip and Kickback, I settled only for Dragstrip. Even still, at 40.68 after taxes it was pretty steep. Was hoping there’d be a pricing error in my favor so I could get both tbh.

Dragstrip becoming Menasor’s right arm gave him the playability edge over Kickback for me, but now that means I gotta get the other stunticon deluxes for 40$ each, and that’s not even counting Motormaster

Though in Motormaster’s case, I think the price for him is justified as he’s not just a voyager sized robot, his trailer forms the bulk of a combiner wars sized super robot so I might just buy him on sight.

skyshadow
04-17-2022, 01:17 PM
I bought everything I can from Titan's Return (which is still my favorite and most complete collection). I was the same with Siege, but the quality and novelty of the transformation started going down (at least for me) with Earthrise. I'd say I only got about half of the Earthrise release. Kingdom fared better only because the original Beast Wars came out in my teen years and nostalgia won me over despite the price increase.

My collecting in Legacy will be much more restrained compared to before.

Akroyer
04-18-2022, 10:08 AM

I know what that was like, every Christmas its what kind of toys do we get for our little guy. He likes his video games, but he can't get all games all the time. Masters of the Universe was quite reasonable. We're glad he doesnt seem to much care for Transformers. And Lego is one of his top priorities, which is also kind of pricey but more bang for the buck since he gets to build and then re-build his own creations afterwards.

So I'm quite glad to see MOU make a come back. And with Vehicles and the Castle all pretty decently priced. Only issue really was finding certain figures like every other line. I managed to grab a He-Man and Skeletor but didnt see them again. But with the prices as good as they are Im sure any parent with little boys were probably keeping an eye out.

WereDragon EX
04-18-2022, 10:58 AM
Can anyone explain the price jumps between what places like A3U and Gamestop are charging between Legacy Wave 1 and 2? Seems odd to see such a jump between two waves of the same toyline.

canprime
04-18-2022, 11:21 AM
Can anyone explain the price jumps between what places like A3U and Gamestop are charging between Legacy Wave 1 and 2? Seems odd to see such a jump between two waves of the same toyline.

Toysnowman posted a Youtube video a couple months back showing that at the end of March Hasbro was increasing prices again. So anything that was available on shelves, or for preorder, before that date should have the old price (though not every store held to that idea *COUGH TRU COUGH*). Anything new available for preorder would have the new price.

Now how that is implemented by stores can be different, but anything after wave 1 should be at the higher price.

Tiffster
04-18-2022, 11:26 AM
My local Walmart got Legacy Deluxes in and even tho I would?ve liked to get Dragstrip and Kickback, I settled only for Dragstrip. Even still, at 40.68 after taxes it was pretty steep. Was hoping there?d be a pricing error in my favor so I could get both tbh.

Dragstrip becoming Menasor?s right arm gave him the playability edge over Kickback for me, but now that means I gotta get the other stunticon deluxes for 40$ each, and that?s not even counting Motormaster

Though in Motormaster?s case, I think the price for him is justified as he?s not just a voyager sized robot, his trailer forms the bulk of a combiner wars sized super robot so I might just buy him on sight.

It's why I Pre-ordered this legacy wave at gamestop at old price and with edge discount to take some sting out. Waiting on motormaster hoping for blackfriday sales.

Tiffster
04-18-2022, 11:28 AM
I know what that was like, every Christmas its what kind of toys do we get for our little guy. He likes his video games, but he can't get all games all the time. Masters of the Universe was quite reasonable. We're glad he doesnt seem to much care for Transformers. And Lego is one of his top priorities, which is also kind of pricey but more bang for the buck since he gets to build and then re-build his own creations afterwards.

So I'm quite glad to see MOU make a come back. And with Vehicles and the Castle all pretty decently priced. Only issue really was finding certain figures like every other line. I managed to grab a He-Man and Skeletor but didnt see them again. But with the prices as good as they are Im sure any parent with little boys were probably keeping an eye out.

Motu is my other collector line its pretty sweet but availability is plenty for some figures clogging shelves and others never seen (triclops, trapjaw).

PrimeCron
04-18-2022, 12:16 PM
I stopped buying Hasbro Transformers at retail stores yearsssss ago!!! And damn proud of it!!! Aint going to lie, the plastic addiction caught me a couple times but that is why we keep receipts, right?!?!?!

Akroyer
04-18-2022, 02:02 PM
Motu is my other collector line its pretty sweet but availability is plenty for some figures clogging shelves and others never seen (triclops, trapjaw).

I was very tempted to collect them myself, but I didnt. I had all these when I was a kid and none survived. And when I saw the Castle.. but I resisted :)

tusko
04-18-2022, 05:53 PM
In answer to that question, yes I am cutting back.

Basically, all I ever really wanted was an updated G1 arc crew and we got that. I still like good toys but that leads to the second issue.

If the toy is made well and is high quality, I feel it'll justify the price. However these mushroom pegged figures, with clipped on wheels are feeling cheap.

I am basically now hoping for the Studio series to finish the Dinobots. Then I feel I'm done.

RansakWORK
04-18-2022, 05:56 PM
Im sort of in the same boat as the person above.. my goal was the G1 Animated Series cast and we have gotten most of that before the price increase.. with each figure i buy thats one closer to being complete. I have no interest in buying 34 optimus primes or 27 bumblebee's. Hasbro is really overdoing the repaints... sure make a mold, make a few figures, shelf it and bring it back in a year with some new schemes etc... doing like 20 seekers in a row kills the "gotta catch em all" vibe.

prime
04-18-2022, 09:46 PM
I generally had a policy of only buying TF when on sale. I would save up for my wishlist, and when the TRU sales came around I'd splurge. The anticipation heightened the satisfaction.

Now, sales are few and far between, and often restricted to a certain line. And with the price increases, the "sales" don't even feel like sales anymore.

I have Studio Grim & Slag, and was debating what I'd do for other 3, but if these prices are any indication, that decision might already be made.

UsernamePrime
04-18-2022, 11:29 PM
tldr: Yes.

My collection was pretty big but I cut it back to about 60% and sold the rest. Now I just buy on-screen sunbow not-niche characters with no intent on replacing characters I already have with new versions. Sludge, Swoop, and Insecticons are the exceptions to that, maybe Seaspray as well? Beyond that I'm missing 10ish characters and about 6 tape characters. Once done I will retire TF for good. Bought a new computer with new everything to go with it using $$ from selling the old TFs.

I cut back the Star Wars Black collection to about 10% of what I had in 2021. It's a retired collection of 15 figures with a Lucas Trooper landing my way eventually as the cherry on top. My mood towards Star Wars soured over the past two years. Glad to have just a small one shelf Empire collection with a couple KOTOR characters in the mix.

I started and completed my Marvel Legends Symbiote collection using funds from the sold Star Wars figures. I will keep this as an ongoing collection as symbiote figure releases are rare. Fun collection that I was glad to get and glad that it wont be growing quickly at all.

Last is my GI Joe Classified collection. Decided recently that I only really care about Cobra and also decided to cut back on army builders. So army builders and Joe faction up for sale soon enough.. less Snake Eyes and Timber and Arctic Storm Shadow as they are great no matter what side they are on.

If not for prices, and to some extent scarcity, then I would most likely not be looking at retiring collections. With that said, I am kinda looking forward to ending the TF collecting tbh.

Darkroar
04-19-2022, 10:41 AM
tldr: Yes.
My collection was pretty big but I cut it back to about 60% and sold the rest.
If not for prices, and to some extent scarcity, then I would most likely not be looking at retiring collections. With that said, I am kinda looking forward to ending the TF collecting tbh.

I agree with a lot of what you said and think I feel the same way about most of it. I'm planning a few Beast Wars figures this year (Tarantulas and Inferno to swap out old figures), but ultimately I think my TF collecting days are over. I may still buy the odd figure here and there, but that will be about it.

At one point I was buying pretty much everything TFs and now I've gone back to just characters I really like and generally not multiple incarnations. This has meant mostly G1 Decepticons and Beast Wars TV characters.

I look at what I have on display and I'm content with it and don't feel I need more. I've been selling for a while on and off, but need to speed up on that some. A part of me really likes the idea of this retiring/completing/coming to an end.

I was mainly a TF collector, but I have also got into Super7's Ultimates Thundercats. Super 7 Ultimates are overpriced for what they are, but I have enjoyed them and I think I'll keep going on that at least for now. One good thing is at least they don't continuously revamp the same character over and over (currently). Any time they do I will pass (like the red Mirror LionO they showed in an upcoming wave).

I also bought the Super 7 Ultimate TMNT turtles - just the 4 turtle characters. I really like them, but I think I will restrain myself from diving any farther into that line (unless they make Android Krang body).

BTW - nice PC. I'll need to get a new PC some day this year or next year too.

Whisky Tango Foxtrot
04-19-2022, 11:38 AM
I think I'm replacing my TF habit with a Gunpla habit.

Napseeker
04-19-2022, 02:37 PM
And.... more price increases...

https://torontosun.com/business/money-news/hasbro-plans-to-further-hike-prices-of-toys-warns-of-100m-russia-hit

Hasbro plans to further hike prices of toys, warns of $100M Russia hit

Goaliebot
04-19-2022, 09:06 PM
Hasbro is going to find out what Netflix found out today; that if you jack up prices past the point of value for money, people will stop buying.

ssjgoku22
04-19-2022, 09:37 PM
Hasbro is going to find out what Netflix found out today; that if you jack up prices past the point of value for money, people will stop buying.

I thinks it time to start purchasing differently with Hasbro. These price increases are out of hand at this point. Collector's are mainly the only thing keeping them thriving and they continue to slap us in the face. No other companies are increasing their price as dramatically as Hasbro (not Mcfarlane, not Bandai, etc.).

Patate
04-20-2022, 12:38 AM

Some people here, myself included, already feel the value for money is not that worth it.

If the price goes up again in the middle of this year, there'll only be more people feeling the same.

We will vote with our wallet.

Dynamo.Dave
04-20-2022, 09:43 AM
I'm a G1 / G2 guy, so clearly those Legacy Stunticons are targeting me. Even at $40/deluxe and $140-ish for Motormaster, I'm still interested.

What's sad for me is I'm absolutely not picking up that Knockout or Tarantulus or Bulkhead, etc. Even if the reviews are great, and they're good Transformers toys, it's not worth it to me at this new price point.

I love TF Prime. Got all those figures. They were great, and at 15 bucks they were totally worth it! Even if I didn't have an attachment to the figures, they were good by themselves.
The redux for $40/$60, I'm not there.

It's too much to 'take a chance' on a cool figure just because it's a cool toy.

xueyue2
04-20-2022, 10:12 AM
The new MPM13 MSRP price in China is 1649 RMB == 257 USD, probably mean 350+ CAD here (since the latest Metroplex is 200 USD and 300 CAD here). With tax, man... that's might be around 400 CAD? I won't buy it for this price for sure, just not worth it. It's almost as expensive as a new video game console... but the technology involved in building MPM13 is much lower than Switch or PS5/Xbox.

https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/attachments/screenshot_20220420-204938_chrome-jpg.29471902/

joshimus
04-20-2022, 11:09 AM
Personally I'm not even impressed by the MP Blackout. It's nice...but like...not over 100.00 nice.
Honestly, I don't know how families on a budget can afford to buy their kids toys that's not from a Dollars Store.
I have certainly gotten exceptionally picky at what I buy at this point, and that goes for TF's, SW and Marvel. I don't even buy ML figures anymore. Not worth the price, not worth the hassle of building the BAF...just not fun to collect Hasbro stuff anymore. No excitement for what's coming out next.

Atomicgarden
04-20-2022, 11:14 AM
Im sort of in the same boat as the person above.. my goal was the G1 Animated Series cast and we have gotten most of that before the price increase.. with each figure i buy thats one closer to being complete. I have no interest in buying 34 optimus primes or 27 bumblebee's. Hasbro is really overdoing the repaints... sure make a mold, make a few figures, shelf it and bring it back in a year with some new schemes etc... doing like 20 seekers in a row kills the "gotta catch em all" vibe.

I?m pretty much like you. My goal was to collect mostly all Decepticons from the G1 show, with a few Autobots I like here and there. There?s only a few left for me on my checklist. However, it may take a long time, since Legacy focus on many Transformers era. This is actually a good move financially speaking for Hasbro. While they can please a bit of everyone, they also know the 84-86 guys are their best sellers and now the few left will be stretched and sprinkled on a couple of years. And while we wait, we may be tempted to buy figures from other era because it looks cool and we?re bored waiting. I?d rather get every one I wanted fast and move on, but it is what it is. I just hope the prices stop increasing too much, because I might quit before I check every bots I want.

Soundwaves
04-20-2022, 03:59 PM

Based on this thread, I'm not so sure...

ssjgoku22
04-20-2022, 05:00 PM
The new MPM13 MSRP price in China is 1649 RMB == 257 USD, probably mean 350+ CAD here (since the latest Metroplex is 200 USD and 300 CAD here). With tax, man... that's might be around 400 CAD? I won't buy it for this price for sure, just not worth it. It's almost as expensive as a new video game console... but the technology involved in building MPM13 is much lower than Switch or PS5/Xbox.

It's $160 USD in the US. I think the price leaked on the Target website.

Dark Rage
04-20-2022, 09:42 PM
It's $160 USD in the US. I think the price leaked on the Target website.

http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?p=858548#post858548

I mean, historically, most of the MPMs have gone on clearance at TRU.

With the new TRU owner though, they may be ordering less (or even other stores too), since the profit margins on MPMs are lower, and the real estate space (large boxes) are high (and takes up space in the warehouse).

I don't see a lot of the newer merchants carrying MPs, they're quite expensive, I don't blame them.

ssjgoku22
04-20-2022, 11:31 PM
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?p=858548#post858548

I mean, historically, most of the MPMs have gone on clearance at TRU.

With the new TRU owner though, they may be ordering less (or even other stores too), since the profit margins on MPMs are lower, and the real estate space (large boxes) are high (and takes up space in the warehouse).

I don't see a lot of the newer merchants carrying MPs, they're quite expensive, I don't blame them.

I'm passing on it. Most MPM's get ko'd and these ko's specifically are always better then the officials. Better paint and sometimes even improvements on the design.

Omegatron
04-22-2022, 10:12 AM
New prices aren't keeping me away but are forcing me to prioritize. Take the new upcoming Titan's Cybertron Metroplex, a minor character at a major price. No way I'm paying the reported $299. Half of that would be reasonable for what it is but I'm still not interested in the character so I'll probably still pass.

I actually really hope some kind of future reckoning isn't coming where choice will decline. I honestly can see the metroplex killing the Titan's line where it sells so badly that Habsro (incorrectly) assumes that collectors are no longer interested in Titan's class figures. It may also kill any hope of any Titan's class figure that isn't G1 and I still want my Titan Animated Omega Supreme.

Oh well, I'm definitely part of the problem because I'm buying the new Motormaster despite having all the Combiner wars combiners. This may well tell Hasbro (correctly) that they can keep pumping out G1 characters, and some of us anyway, will keep buying them.

Skorpulator
04-22-2022, 11:15 AM
I don't think my TRU has sold a single MPM Prime ever since it came out. Imagine Blackout...

Digibasherx
04-22-2022, 02:13 PM
I've been buying a lot of stuff on sale, and second hand. But I've cut back a lot in the past year.

SignalLancR
04-22-2022, 05:41 PM
The last toys I bought new were Power of the Primes Battleslash and Roadtrap. I save my pennies all year for TFcon but I have it easy.

I've never been into Masterpiece, I usually prefer my Classics and Universe 2008 toys over their newer counterparts, and I only by old third party stuff. I've only bought two third party toys in the past decade, come to think of it.

That said, the cyclic nature of modern Transformers releases can play in the favour of low second hand prices. I grabbed a Siege Ultra Magnus for $30 mint complete in the box last year at TFcon. As others have said, exclusives are another story though. Scalpers have just gone bananas.

prime
04-23-2022, 03:38 PM
And.... more price increases...

https://torontosun.com/business/money-news/hasbro-plans-to-further-hike-prices-of-toys-warns-of-100m-russia-hit

Hasbro plans to further hike prices of toys, warns of $100M Russia hit

What gets me is that even once the war is over and shipments resume, the price hike is likely going to stay.

ssjgoku22
04-23-2022, 04:34 PM
What gets me is that even once the war is over and shipments resume, the price hike is likely going to stay.

Regardless of the War or Covid, these price increases were going to happen regardless. Hasbro's just using these situations as an excuse to justify their greed. Like you said, after all this is over, the prices will stay or probably increase more.

RNSrobot
04-24-2022, 12:33 AM
Regardless of the War or Covid, these price increases were going to happen regardless. Hasbro's just using these situations as an excuse to justify their greed. Like you said, after all this is over, the prices will stay or probably increase more.

Deluxes jumped from 19.99 to 29.99 long before Covid hit.

Sun Swipe Prime
04-24-2022, 05:59 AM

The only way to win is not to play. :p

Goaliebot
04-24-2022, 07:23 PM
These price hikes were inevitable, because toy sales are falling more and more every year, yet Hasbro's management team must deliver higher and higher profits every quarter or be fired by the Board of Directors, who would be following the orders of the largest shareholders.

But it's hitting the tipping point where profit growth will start to drop no matter what the management team does (again, toy sales fall every year) and they'll get canned (with golden parachutes so boo-hoo). A new team will be brought in with the mandate and promise of restoring profit growth. There will be much fanfare, blah blah blah. Staff will be cut, and drastic toy changes will be made (options are lower quality, even higher prices, and/or cutting lines and variety massively).

But the new team will fail too, because people buy fewer toys year after year.

Either at the second team's failure or maybe a third team failing, the big investors will bail. Stock price will tank and Hasbro will become a much smaller company. At that point they either become a niche supplier of collectibles or they just make toddler toys (the only toy demo left by the end).

Basically, we are entering the endgame of the old toy market. These repeated steep hikes are the first major sign it's begun.

xueyue2
04-24-2022, 07:34 PM
These price hikes were inevitable, because toy sales are falling more and more every year, yet Hasbro's management team must deliver higher and higher profits every quarter or be fired by the Board of Directors, who would be following the orders of the largest shareholders.

But it's hitting the tipping point where profit growth will start to drop no matter what the management team does (again, toy sales fall every year) and they'll get canned (with golden parachutes so boo-hoo). A new team will be brought in with the mandate and promise of restoring profit growth. There will be much fanfare, blah blah blah. Staff will be cut, and drastic toy changes will be made (options are lower quality, even higher prices, and/or cutting lines and variety massively).

But the new team will fail too, because people buy fewer toys year after year.

Either at the second team's failure or maybe a third team failing, the big investors will bail. Stock price will tank and Hasbro will become a much smaller company. At that point they either become a niche supplier of collectibles or they just make toddler toys (the only toy demo left by the end).

Basically, we are entering the endgame of the old toy market. These repeated steep hikes are the first major sign it's begun.
which is totally fine for me, at this price Hasbro doesn't matter to me any more, plus I have 3rd parties to fill all the collection need, their toys are better made, more interesting (instead of always Bumblebee or Optimus Prime), and sometime even cheaper.

ssjgoku22
04-24-2022, 10:41 PM

That's my point though, Hasbro uses everything as an excuse to justify their price increases, but they were planning to increase their prices regardless.

ManitobaMando
04-25-2022, 12:22 PM
Yes, the new prices are keeping me away.

Repaint after repaint, same mold, new colors..look I get it, this is how its always been done, but enough is enough. $42.99 for a deluxe? I do not think so. I can be content with the collection built, and simply ignore what to come, because none of it is worth the price.

delrue
04-25-2022, 12:34 PM
Only place selling deluxes for $43 is TRU.

RNSrobot
04-25-2022, 12:56 PM
Only place selling deluxes for $43 is TRU.

Correct. But prices also jumped from 30 to 33 to 35 and now 37 in barely two years.

canprime
04-25-2022, 01:33 PM
Correct. But prices also jumped from 30 to 33 to 35 and now 37 in barely two years.

And another increase coming sometime mid-year according to Hasbro. So I expect $40 to the be norm before the end of the year.

Sun Swipe Prime
04-25-2022, 04:33 PM

Was in TRU today and saw the price tag on the shelf for deluxes. They're almost $10 more than other places. WTF. :rofl:

http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=51635&stc=1&d=1650918531

Grimlocked
04-25-2022, 07:43 PM
Did anyone see the price on the new Metroplex on Gamestop? I'm hoping that price isn't finalized...

ssjgoku22
04-25-2022, 10:47 PM
Did anyone see the price on the new Metroplex on Gamestop? I'm hoping that price isn't finalized...

That's price is probably cemented. Every retailer selling the figure in Canada has it for $300 (or around their).

I don't want to say this, but we are also part of this problem. If these figures continue to fly off the shelves at these prices, Hasbro looks at it like "see even at these prices, they'll buy them, increase the price some more". It's pretty much a vicious cycle. Like this whole collection thing is a passion, something that we all like to do. What I'm asking myself more and more lately though is how much is this hobby really worth?

imfallenangel
04-26-2022, 12:10 AM
That's price is probably cemented. Every retailer selling the figure in Canada has it for $300 (or around their).

I don't want to say this, but we are also part of this problem. If these figures continue to fly off the shelves at these prices, Hasbro looks at it like "see even at these prices, they'll buy them, increase the price some more". It's pretty much a vicious cycle. Like this whole collection thing is a passion, something that we all like to do. What I'm asking myself more and more lately though is how much is this hobby really worth?
Yup, I agree on this, mentioned it and only got arrogance about it.

What it's worth is what it means to you really. To me it's not that I can't afford it, it is that it's just crazy that they are this expensive for the crap quality of late (quality issues, lack of paint, so many gaps, lack of accessories, etc.), the overall value for them, and I am so glad that I feel that I'm at the end of all of it as I have just about every figure that I wanted and have no plans to buy new versions. Legacy has been such a let down that I'm glad that it was.

Anything new has to amaze me, and in the next 6 months and more, so far, only the SS BB Arcee has done that. Every other reveal has been an easy pass.

Heck, I've bought a bunch of 3rd parties which I never did until last year or so, and feel that I got a LOT more value for them, and most were NOT more expensive than similar sized Hasbro, but the part count, the quality, the engineering makes Hasbro figures almost all look like cheap dollar store toys. If Hasbro would have done these, they'd be double, triple the prices that I paid.

But yeah, every new figure that I can see is far from great, expensive as hell, and very little value for the price, and still they sell out everywhere... it's just weird to me.

Then I see posts about people having to save up, making budget over toys, having to renegotiate these budgets, some ending up having to resell the toys to pay for their rent, have money to fix their cars, worry about the pre-order coming out before payday as their payment method will bounce, etc... it's just... *sigh*... just wow... it's just toys and Hasbro is milking the fans so hard.

evenstaves
04-26-2022, 09:40 AM
Just found 1st wave Legacy deluxe @ the local WalMart last night
was on a shelf, but unticketed

When I was at the cash I honestly got a bit of sticker shock -> $35.97 each!!! buying 3 is over a hundy, jesus

and WM is the lower price! (compared to TRU I mean)

Marcotron
04-26-2022, 10:41 AM
42.99 for a deluxe at Toysrus is obscene. It's getting to the point where, every time I walk into the store, the prices have changed.

Also, who is ready for a (ugly diaclone) repaint of Titan's Return Twin Twist, which was originally sold for 16.99 or 19.99 to now be priced at 42.99+. Same toy, (maybe a different face?), now costing so much more. It's not engineering. It's bad business.

Another wrinkle to add. Let's take Kup for an example. They release a toy, looks ok, and an improvement on the previous mold. You go out and buy it for these exorbitant prices. Then, a couple of months later, they re-release the figure with certain things changed to make it objectively better. Removing the dirt paint that many dislike, or changing the colour scheme to fit the character better such as with Kup. What do you do?
With the distribution problems they have, you maybe see a figure once in stores, before it disappears.
You start to understand (not condone) the frequency of product swap and returns.

Transbot90210
04-26-2022, 10:58 AM
It made me shy

Alexander Quinn
04-26-2022, 11:06 AM
I decided on a soft ban on Hasbro products this week. I cancelled around $600 worth of preorders from them. I still have a small handful on order for things I am absolutely stoked for, but I pulled the cord on everything I was only very interested to fairly excited for. A bunch of Transformers, GI Joe, Power Rangers and Star Wars figures got axed. I am pretty certain going forward that I will be basically done with Hasbro by early 2023. If this is how they treat their customers I can take my money elsewhere.

Napseeker
04-26-2022, 03:55 PM
Another wrinkle to add. Let's take Kup for an example. They release a toy, looks ok, and an improvement on the previous mold. You go out and buy it for these exorbitant prices. Then, a couple of months later, they re-release the figure with certain things changed to make it objectively better. Removing the dirt paint that many dislike, or changing the colour scheme to fit the character better such as with Kup. What do you do?
With the distribution problems they have, you maybe see a figure once in stores, before it disappears.
You start to understand (not condone) the frequency of product swap and returns.

This is going to be almost a standard operating procedure for Hasbro going forward. I've seen them doing this with SW, Marvel Legends and GI Joe Classified too.

You get the first release, which is imperfect but because you're not sure if they'll ever make this character again in plastic form, you buy it. A year later or two, a repaint that offers some improvement e.g. photoreal face, a paintjob more accurate to the source material, more alternate heads or accessories, etc. And so they got you buying the same damn figure again. Kup, Cliffjumper, and Galvatron are all good examples of where you get burned for buying the first release.

Marvel Legends: Scarlet Witch (the new retro card is the ultimate version, but is a repaint of the Magneto 3-pack which I already bought).

GI Joe Stormshadow and Zartan: the basic line version is good, but today's "retro card" is even more accurate to the Sunbow cartoon, which burns those who bought/preordered the 1st release.

Snake-Eyes and Timber: today's announced version is far closer to the vintage figure look than the 2-pack that came out last year.

SW Cassian Andor, Jyn Erso: too bad for the suckers who bought the pre-photoreal versions, the new versions have astoundingly great photoreal face paint.

Just ask yourself when you see a Hasbro announcement whether the figure they are showing is the "ultimate" version in your mind or if they could simply do a better repaint in a year or two. This is why I didn't preorder the GI Joe Stalker, because I noticed right away his uniform is a muddy, dark green instead of the more correct bright-green camo. Hasbro has a new Walmart-exclusive retrocard line which are all repaints of existing molds but in more accurate sunbow/vintage colors. I am placing my bets that a better painted Stalker shows up in that line in 2023. Prices are now just too high to fall into this trap of buying a less-than-perfect figure now only to rebuy it again later.

Marcotron
04-26-2022, 04:14 PM
Legacy Blitzwing pre-order at EB Games is listed at 76.99, which is lower than the current leader class price of 84.99.
Is that because of the various things mentioned in this thread? Or did Hasbro realize their figure is pathetically small and not worth the full price of a leader? Or will it actually end up being 84.99+ at Toysrus, and EBgames is taking a loss on it?

Also of note, Legacy Titan Metroplex the Digger is listed at $299.00, which is just no, no. hell no. But then again, I wouldn't even pay $50 for that thing.

delrue
04-26-2022, 04:24 PM
Because 76.99 is what everyone is selling it for. TRU is overcharging.

WereDragon EX
04-26-2022, 07:55 PM
Legacy Blitzwing pre-order at EB Games is listed at 76.99, which is lower than the current leader class price of 84.99.
Is that because of the various things mentioned in this thread? Or did Hasbro realize their figure is pathetically small and not worth the full price of a leader? Or will it actually end up being 84.99+ at Toysrus, and EBgames is taking a loss on it?

Also of note, Legacy Titan Metroplex the Digger is listed at $299.00, which is just no, no. hell no. But then again, I wouldn't even pay $50 for that thing.

And if you have the Edge discount, you pay about 70, which is basically last year's price. So you stave off a price increase for another year minimum, assuming Hasbro doesn't go and jack up prices again next year. Not optimistic on that front. Good lord.

Patate
04-27-2022, 06:36 AM
And if you have the Edge discount, you pay about 70, which is basically last year's price. So you stave off a price increase for another year minimum, assuming Hasbro doesn't go and jack up prices again next year. Not optimistic on that front. Good lord.

Someone here linked an article that said Hasbro planned to increase price once again this mid-year.

Tiffster
04-27-2022, 10:23 AM
Just found 1st wave Legacy deluxe @ the local WalMart last night
was on a shelf, but unticketed

When I was at the cash I honestly got a bit of sticker shock -> $35.97 each!!! buying 3 is over a hundy, jesus

and WM is the lower price! (compared to TRU I mean)

I Pre-ordered from Gamestop at least I got edge discount but I'm still waiting for them. Website says July!

Marcotron
04-27-2022, 12:02 PM
Because 76.99 is what everyone is selling it for. TRU is overcharging.

I did not even realize how badly TRU was gauging people on Leaders.
That's disgusting.

The last "Leader" class figure I bought at TRU was Siege Astrotrain, and Shockwave, and they were on clearance for $37 each. Still felt not worth it... Decent for voyagers I guess... I expect more out of a leader class figure.

RNSrobot
04-27-2022, 02:31 PM
I did not even realize how badly TRU was gauging people on Leaders.
That's disgusting.

The last "Leader" class figure I bought at TRU was Siege Astrotrain, and Shockwave, and they were on clearance for $37 each. Still felt not worth it... Decent for voyagers I guess... I expect more out of a leader class figure.

they're gouging on all classes. they have deluxes at 43, voyager at 50, leaders at 85. all above MSRP

before US TRU folded, this is something they were doing as well. It was their standard practice to charge above MSRP on most things. 20% off sale would bring a LEGO set down to ... MSRP.

It's not why they folded, necessarily. The hedgefund bullshit was a big part. But it certainly was not good foer their rep or business.

canprime
04-27-2022, 02:55 PM
they're gouging on all classes. they have deluxes at 43, voyager at 50, leaders at 85. all above MSRP

before US TRU folded, this is something they were doing as well. It was their standard practice to charge above MSRP on most things. 20% off sale would bring a LEGO set down to ... MSRP.

It's not why they folded, necessarily. The hedgefund bullshit was a big part. But it certainly was not good foer their rep or business.

And as a purely anecdotal bit of evidence, look at the posts on here about TRU this year. They have slowed way down, and sightings are down as well. Not too mention the posts mentioning lack of purchases, or visits.

Granted this is all anecdotal, but I think there is a slowdown.

RNSrobot
04-27-2022, 03:02 PM
And as a purely anecdotal bit of evidence, look at the posts on here about TRU this year. They have slowed way down, and sightings are down as well. Not too mention the posts mentioning lack of purchases, or visits.

Granted this is all anecdotal, but I think there is a slowdown.

it's barely worth the visit, the selection has been crap. my nearest TRU still has PILES of SS Demolishor, hardly anything new, and it rarely changes.

delrue
04-27-2022, 04:23 PM
I had always assumed it was all the baby stuff an Lego carrying those stores but even that stuff has had the price jacked up.

Napseeker
04-27-2022, 07:03 PM
I used to stop off at my local TRU after doing my grocery shopping since it was just a 7 min walk away. Today I just did my grocery shopping and went straight home.

Seriously, why bother? They have no selection, nothing new (except those useless "Carbonized" Star Wars figures) and everything is overpriced. That new owner has turned TRU into Sunrise Records i.e. a place that I never shop at.

Their new book section isn't going to save them.

Tiffster
04-27-2022, 08:01 PM
I avoid tru completely. I peeked my head in 3 weeks ago and found buzzworthy silvetstreak, a figure I want, then choked on the $43 price and left the store. Gi joe classified figures are $45 and they don't even transform. Serious garbage store now. Most of my tf from gsmestop now with sprinkling of Walmart

timcrook
04-29-2022, 06:03 PM
It's depressing to see these price increases. But looking at prices before ($21.95 for a deluxe) and the packaging date(2014) that's 8 years ago. This is life.
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=51664&stc=1&d=1651269482

WereDragon EX
05-05-2022, 06:09 AM
It's depressing to see these price increases. But looking at prices before ($21.95 for a deluxe) and the packaging date(2014) that's 8 years ago. This is life.
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=51664&stc=1&d=1651269482

You know, given impending price increases, and having a few characters I still need to get, I'm questioning both the long term viability of this hobby and am contemplating three possible options to get figures of characters I don't yet have.

1) Track down the WfC trilogy figure, probably at some dumb aftermarket/scalper price.

2) Wait for a new figure of the character at some point down the road, which may or may not happen soon, depending on the character's popularity. And if this option is taken, I certainly will be paying those price increases.

3) Buy an older figure of that character from a previous line. Some older figures still hold up, like Generations Turbo Tracks or Generations Arcee, and are even considered superior to the characters' WfC figures. It may even be better, since they come from a time before Hasbro's current cost cutting, and they thus may be larger or have better gimmicktry. Of course, the price I would pay for any of those older figures can vary.

RNSrobot
05-05-2022, 12:43 PM

Where did you buy these? Because they weren't 21.95 at Wal-Mart, TRU, etc. That is specialty store pricing.

When those toys came out, deluxes were still 14.99-16.99 MSRP.

When Combiner Wars hit, the deluxe price jumped to 17.99 and then 19.99 during or with TR.

The MSRP for deluxes for most of Prime Wars was 19.99. It jumped ten dollars for Siege. We went from about a five dollar increase over five years to ten dollars in one. and now another 7.

xueyue2
05-05-2022, 01:44 PM
Where did you buy these? Because they weren't 21.95 at Wal-Mart, TRU, etc. That is specialty store pricing.

When those toys came out, deluxes were still 14.99-16.99 MSRP.

When Combiner Wars hit, the deluxe price jumped to 17.99 and then 19.99 during or with TR.

The MSRP for deluxes for most of Prime Wars was 19.99. It jumped ten dollars for Siege. We went from about a five dollar increase over five years to ten dollars in one. and now another 7.

These have comic inside, I think it's US version.

Dark Rage
05-05-2022, 02:59 PM
These have comic inside, I think it's US version.

I believe big chain stores only got the versions with cardboard backing, no comics. Only comic book/independent stores got them with comics, since they get it from a different distributor than TRU/WM (And probably a slightly higher price).

RNSrobot
05-05-2022, 03:24 PM
I believe big chain stores only got the versions with cardboard backing, no comics. Only comic book/independent stores got them with comics, since they get it from a different distributor than TRU/WM (And probably a slightly higher price).

USA got comics at retail. Canada didn't. Lol remember those couple waves where everybody had that shitty orion pax art.

Crobot91
05-05-2022, 05:36 PM
For some reason the wave with CW Sunstreaker, Prowl, Ironhide, and Mirage had the comics included in Canadian retail.

savagephil
05-05-2022, 09:56 PM
I think toys Toys Toys or what it's called now playtime toys have or had combiner wars figures with the comics as well

RNSrobot
05-06-2022, 02:02 AM
I think toys Toys Toys or what it's called now playtime toys have or had combiner wars figures with the comics as well

I think direct market stores got comics. Like a comic or specialty shop that ordered them from previews.

LegendaryArticuno
05-06-2022, 12:49 PM
Been away from looking at Transformers for a few months, and I'm having trouble following pricing... I'm seeing deluxes @$40, voyagers @$70, leaders @$90?

alternatorfan
05-06-2022, 01:21 PM
Been away from looking at Transformers for a few months, and I'm having trouble following pricing... I'm seeing deluxes @$40, voyagers @$70, leaders @$90?

Yes and more increases to come.

wesperino
05-06-2022, 01:33 PM
I'm definitely questioning whether I really NEED some of these new releases.

Just saw laser prime at walmart. He and galvatron at $76 before tax is a hard reality.

Maybe these things will just keep shelves warm as lots of folks are bailing at these prices.

That or wait for a clearance like they are doing with beast megs @ $39

delrue
05-06-2022, 01:46 PM

That's not correct.

MSRP is around: Deluxes are $37, Voyagers are $48, leaders are $77.

canprime
05-06-2022, 03:36 PM
That's not correct.

MSRP is around: Deluxes are $37, Voyagers are $48, leaders are $77.

You are correct, although LegendaryArticuno was probably thinking of TRU's pricing.

In that case $40 deluxes is probably too low in most new cases (some select older ones are still under $40), $70 Voyagers is nowhere (thank god) and $90 Leaders isn't that far off from TRU's pricing.

Marcotron
05-06-2022, 04:10 PM
The retail price of transformers is changing more than gas prices.

Collectingtoys
05-06-2022, 05:44 PM
The retail price of transformers is changing more than gas prices.

Oh man, totally seems like it. Gasoline is $1.95/litre for regular in downtown Toronto today, spend $10 just to start the car & drive to the store.

I'm like this when walking into Transformers section of Toys R Us or Walmart these days.

Feels like when I was a kid in the 1980's, just looking...

https://i.postimg.cc/PxH9cG7B/Whats-App-Image-2022-05-06-at-12-44-12-PM.jpg

xueyue2
05-06-2022, 06:13 PM
Oh man, totally seems like it. Gasoline is $1.95/litre for regular in downtown Toronto today, spend $10 just to start the car & drive to the store.

I'm like this when walking into Transformers section of Toys R Us or Walmart these days.

Feels like when I was a kid in the 1980's, just looking...

https://i.postimg.cc/PxH9cG7B/Whats-App-Image-2022-05-06-at-12-44-12-PM.jpg

So funny, man. :D

Right now with this gas price, drive around and check transformers is a even more expensive hobby.

Sentinel2002
05-06-2022, 08:20 PM
This price hike is getting me to step away from mainline and step into 3rd party legends. Not just the prices, I prefer physical retail and the hunt just isn't fun any more.

cripnite
05-06-2022, 09:58 PM
So funny, man. :D

Right now with this gas price, drive around and check transformers is a even more expensive hobby.

I switched to online shopping a few years back. If I?m there I look, but I don?t make special trips anymore.

anotheran
05-06-2022, 10:09 PM
I already thought deluxe prices of $30 last year was high but TRU price of $40+ is ridiculous. I was used to buying Takara deluxes for that prices but not my entire collection.

Not planning to buy any of the buzzworthy lines from TRU. This is probably my last year collecting Transformers. Switching to Legos.

LegendaryArticuno
05-07-2022, 11:37 AM
You are correct, although LegendaryArticuno was probably thinking of TRU's pricing.

In that case $40 deluxes is probably too low in most new cases (some select older ones are still under $40), $70 Voyagers is nowhere (thank god) and $90 Leaders isn't that far off from TRU's pricing.

Yeah it was TRU, looking at Gamestop's prices it looks like things are relatively normal.

Thankfully, nothing available interests me. I need to save up for when they actually release something that I want .

DesertDog
05-07-2022, 01:03 PM
Somewhat. I?ve already acquired most of the figures that I need, the prices just mean I?m far pickier about which redecos I go for. Normally I?d have DK-2 Guard and Lift-Ticket by now but I?m skipping them. Sticking primarily to Masterpiece and Studio ?86 figures aside from vintage G1 and the odd Selects figure.

Goaliebot
05-07-2022, 05:54 PM
Was in Walmart today and tempted by Legacy Bulkhead, but walked away empty-handed as that almost $50 pricetag is just too much. It isn't so much the $50 itself as it is the lack of value for that price. I like the figure, but it isn't near $50 in value to me. I would probably have grimaced and bought at $40, but now... :scalper:

Tiffster
05-07-2022, 06:29 PM
Somewhat. I?ve already acquired most of the figures that I need, the prices just mean I?m far pickier about which redecos I go for. Normally I?d have DK-2 Guard and Lift-Ticket by now but I?m skipping them. Sticking primarily to Masterpiece and Studio ?86 figures aside from vintage G1 and the odd Selects figure.

Ditto. After years of collecting, if amassed multiple versions of many figures. I just want studio series dinos, insecticons and since I started on legacy stunticons I'll complete those. Not much else is enticing. I hope with legacy they pivot now to unicron trilogy etc. So fans who grew up on those can have their nostalgia trip

Ras
05-24-2022, 10:56 AM
I was at TRU on the weekend with insecticon and stunticon in my hand. I thought the figures looked great. I checked the price and thought, oh these are voyagers? Nope, with tax each deluxe figure was over $50 a pop. Wow! 2 deluxe figs would be over $100. My collecting was any easy impulse not a big deal affair, but at these prices ya need to think carefully about the money spent. As many have said, at this point I pretty much have decent enough versions of all the characters I’m interested in, so I put the two deluxe figures back on the shelf and walked away. There are a few I’ll still grab, like the reset of the leader Dinos. I’ll continue to follow the hobby and go to cons etc but I’m afraid my collecting days are basically behind me. I got no space for anymore anyway.

evenstaves
05-24-2022, 11:19 AM
I was at TRU

There's your problem right there

TRU is basically only for the exclusives anymore, and even then i hope EB/Gamestop takes them away

never ever get your retail figs that you could find @ Walmart, Amazon, literally anywhere else but TRU - the price hikes are savage

RNSrobot
05-24-2022, 01:26 PM
There's your problem right there

TRU is basically only for the exclusives anymore, and even then i hope EB/Gamestop takes them away

never ever get your retail figs that you could find @ Walmart, Amazon, literally anywhere else but TRU - the price hikes are savage

It's still 37 plus tax for a deluxe. That's still brutal. But yes Tru is even worse.

Yonoid
05-24-2022, 01:35 PM
I just opened a core class spike, I can't believe this costed $20 taxes in. Thankfully I don't even know half the legacy characters coming out so I can easily skip them.

Skorpulator
05-24-2022, 02:17 PM
I don't care, I just buy what I want if I like the design. Comparably-sized 3rd party figures cost much more anyway.

Marcotron
05-24-2022, 04:35 PM
I just opened a core class spike, I can't believe this costed $20 taxes in. Thankfully I don't even know half the legacy characters coming out so I can easily skip them.

Spike is literally the only figure I'm willing to buy despite the stupid price.
I've got all the 86 movie bots, but I don't have a Spike/Daniel.
I'd say this SS core version is second best to the one that came with MP Bumblebee (but I don't have that one either).

imfallenangel
05-24-2022, 05:45 PM
I don't care, I just buy what I want if I like the design. Comparably-sized 3rd party figures cost much more anyway.

Not anymore.

I got a few 3rd party figures that are about the same price but much better for their quality and accessories.

I've never been a 3rd party figures person but I do sort through what's out there and get figures as you say "because I like the design" but I refuse to pay insane prices for things that aren't worth it.

The worst for the pricing difference between them has been more due to the shipping that wasn't free on a few I got, but that hits the same for any older figures that aren't part of the newer stuff that the few places that do have free shipping would have in stock.

Sun Swipe Prime
05-25-2022, 04:44 AM
Was in Walmart today and saw the reissue BW Scorponok. Thought I had a nice score until I checked the price, $69.99. Put it back and walked away. If I paid that, I would have felt like I was bad-touched by Uncle Wally. That price is insane.

Skorpulator
05-25-2022, 10:00 AM
I'd say this SS core version is second best to the one that came with MP Bumblebee (but I don't have that one either).

The MP is one is really good despite the unpainted face. Dunno why they keep doing that.

Skorpulator
05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Not anymore.

I got a few 3rd party figures that are about the same price but much better for their quality and accessories.

Do you have examples of excellent deluxe-sized 3rd party figures that cost $35?

imfallenangel
05-25-2022, 01:06 PM

Note I didn't specific a class, I stated "comparative prices", and deluxes with taxes are close to 40$ and more nowadays depending where you get them, and may required shipping costs added, so it's a massive range, and for any hard to find figure, prices are at scalper's levels extremely fast now...

You look up some KOs and 4th parties and get a huge selection that can surprise you.. it's no longer the shampoo bottle crap from once upon a time.

Take the Titan sized Jinbao combiners (Devastator/Predaking/Bruticus) that are easily less than half the Hasbro versions in price but the quality is very much higher. For what I paid for my Constructicons, each one would come to around 20$ (and that's with shipping) for a Voyager/leader figure that exceeds any of the WFC figures easily.

You can get original molds/figures that are also

Some examples:

Lower price
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001875813192.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32868421074.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002784214155.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32847845917.html

A bit higher that ranges in the Voyager/leader range, you can look up Planet X figures that are "official" 3rd party (for examples):
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?trafficChannel=main&d=y&CatId=0&SearchText=Planet+X+Transformation+Toy+&ltype=wholesale&SortType=price_asc&groupsort=1&page=1

And you can look up SXS for a few figures that they produced that are amazing at voyager/leader prices if you can find them. APC is a fairly newcomer that are coming out with some pretty well regarded figures at affordable prices compared to the crazy high prices for many other 3rd parties.

And as I stated, you also have to shop around and see the bargains/sales:

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Search?HideInStock=false&HidePreorder=false&HideSoldOut=true&InventoryStatus=i,p,sa&PageSize=20&SortOrder=PriceLowToHigh&Department=7399&ProductType=318

https://www.tfsafari.com/collections/hot-sale-products

But bear in mind that shipping is a major factor for everything now too.... so that will have an impact... but again, that even Hasbro can end up being under the same scenarios.

delrue
05-25-2022, 01:23 PM
The MP is one is really good despite the unpainted face. Dunno why they keep doing that.
Guessing it's because they don't have the paint budget for that size to do a fully painted face so just opt for no paint instead of an uncanny valley partial paint job.

MapleMegatron
05-25-2022, 05:29 PM

You won't find deluxe sized 3 p toys at that price, but there are 3p toys that do cost the same as the current deluxe prices at TRU. Like a lot of the iron factory stuff.

https://tfsource.com/3rd-party-figures/if-ex20d-tyrant-wing-desert-rose-iron-factory/

MapleMegatron
05-25-2022, 05:40 PM
Not anymore.

Comparably sized (as the person wrote) 3p deluxes and legends figures are still more expensive at initial release.

Squid Prime
05-25-2022, 06:08 PM
As several others have noted here, it's about value. I will pay x amount for z thing, but I have to know for certain the value for what I pay is there.

I personally haven't gotten that feeling from Hasbro's recent lineups, aside from the Legacy Black Zarak; paid $220 at EB games (used the edge discount which knocked like $10 off) and felt like he was well worth it; he's massive, well-built (better built than my Fort Max, that's for sure) and he's super posable. In that same context, I can't justify paying nearly $400 for a MP Starscream - as much as I can appreciate the perfection of his latest iteration.

I guess it comes down to what's important to you, what you are willing to spend extra on and where you draw the line. I think given the inflation of literally everything right now, I'm gonna pull back my TF fixation and simmer down for a bit (before something truly extraordinary catches my eye).

delrue
05-25-2022, 06:08 PM
52toys' Beast Boxes are probably the closest to a deluxe in terms of price and complexity. They're basically an entire series of cassette-bot style transformations, only a cube instead of a flat rectangle.

brr-icy
05-25-2022, 07:12 PM
easily, not a fan of the voyager priced half deluxes

timcrook
06-15-2022, 11:44 PM
I've seen one scammer just trade in older figures.
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=52065&stc=1&d=1655350999

http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=52066&stc=1&d=1655350999

RNSrobot
06-16-2022, 12:47 AM
I've seen one scammer just trade in older figures.
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=52065&stc=1&d=1655350999

http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=52066&stc=1&d=1655350999

i don't understand, how did it get the slash cardback and shit

figure swapping is sadly nothing new

timcrook
06-16-2022, 12:51 AM
It was originally dragstrip, and someone printed and glued a picture of something else.

RNSrobot
06-16-2022, 01:10 AM
It was originally dragstrip, and someone printed and glued a picture of something else.

That is... a level of dedication for a fake toy exchange lmao

usually they just toss an old shitty bumblebee deluxe in a leader box lol

evenstaves
06-16-2022, 08:32 AM
Seriously, that's some commitment to the grift, right there

Like they're trying to "get seen" on sightings boards

Baryonyx
06-16-2022, 10:29 AM
Yep. I have two figures pre-ordered this year and that'll probably be it. I have no more space and no more interest in paying monster prices.

Cybertrev
06-16-2022, 10:03 PM
I don't know if I missed the memo or something but I just walked into Toysrus and Deluxe Kickback is priced at $44.99! Doctor Strange Marvel Legends is $42.99! That's a tank of gas for 2 toys! I came in at the tail end of combiner wars at maybe 22.99 for a deluxe and now it has doubled, I really can't believe it. I know Walmart and GameStop have better prices for now but...jeez Toysrus must not be doing well to justify this sort of hike

Sun Swipe Prime
06-17-2022, 04:15 AM
That is... a level of dedication for a fake toy exchange lmao

usually they just toss an old shitty bumblebee deluxe in a leader box lol

That's next level. Douchbaggery finds a way.

CyberDragon10K
06-17-2022, 12:49 PM
I don't know if I missed the memo or something but I just walked into Toysrus and Deluxe Kickback is priced at $44.99! Doctor Strange Marvel Legends is $42.99! That's a tank of gas for 2 toys! I came in at the tail end of combiner wars at maybe 22.99 for a deluxe and now it has doubled, I really can't believe it. I know Walmart and GameStop have better prices for now but...jeez Toysrus must not be doing well to justify this sort of hike

I think it's more that TRU is paying out the #@$ or has a bad deal with getting Hasbro product that's seeing them jack up their prices so hard, at least from what I remember seeing other board members here discussing.

I remember last week I saw a Legacy Blaster for $54.99 sticker price and noped out of the store. Pretty sure the last thing I bought from them was a (price-adjusted) Origins Bee last year when it was on sale...

Crobot91
06-17-2022, 01:51 PM
Gamestop just increased their prices for Legacy voyager figures at Vaughn Mills Mall.

Napseeker
06-17-2022, 02:13 PM
What's the new price?

Collectingtoys
06-17-2022, 08:19 PM
It's almost halfway through 2022 and I've only made 1 purchase this entire year.

However, there are ways to save money in other areas of life if one wants to stay dedicated to this hobby.

https://i.postimg.cc/nzj1r22p/Whats-App-Image-2022-06-17-at-2-16-31-PM.jpg

Gaming Turtle
06-17-2022, 10:23 PM

Don't forget that voyagers are now $55 at Toysrus for Legacy. Safe to say my collecting is ending soon once Gamestop catches up in price.

Napseeker
07-11-2022, 12:54 AM
An article from the Toronto Star about corporations jacking up prices solely to earn more profit, not just because of inflation:

https://www.thestar.com/business/2022/07/09/supermarkets-are-hiking-prices-faster-than-necessary-and-profiting-from-inflation-star-investigation-suggests.html

A deep dive into the financial statements of Loblaw Companies Ltd., Empire Company Ltd. (which owns Sobeys) and Metro Inc. shows that profit margins ? the difference between how much they buy and sell their products for ? are rising.

The numbers suggest these grocers are raising prices more than they have to. Rather than just passing along higher costs to customers, they?re passing them along ? and then some.

?Yes, some prices are rising because of problems in global supply chains. That is absolutely happening,? said DT Cochrane, an economist with Canadians for Tax Fairness. ?But some prices are rising because corporations are jacking up their markups to serve their bottom lines.?

?There?s a very simple reason for this inflation, for this affordability crisis: It?s because corporations are taking the opportunity to raise prices,? said Cochrane. ?The people who set the prices are setting them higher.?

You can definitely lump Hasbro in there with Loblaws.

pandaprime
07-11-2022, 01:20 AM
yes, yes it is. I am still waiting for the wave 1 Legacy figures to go on a legit sale.

RNSrobot
07-11-2022, 02:57 AM
An article from the Toronto Star about corporations jacking up prices solely to earn more profit, not just because of inflation:

https://www.thestar.com/business/2022/07/09/supermarkets-are-hiking-prices-faster-than-necessary-and-profiting-from-inflation-star-investigation-suggests.html

You can definitely lump Hasbro in there with Loblaws.

Oh, that was obvious the second siege hit and the jump on deluxes was 150%. Or 50%. I'm not a math teacher.

NightshadeX
07-11-2022, 08:23 AM
There's a lot of good figures this year (a good Jhiaxus, the new Menasor, finishing the 86 SS Dinobots) but I'm trying to take a serious hard look at what to not buy. The price increases are insane.

I think I'm going to at least sell some of my WFC beast wars recolours/new heads (Buzzsaw, toy Blackarachnia, etc). Probably the least profitable things to sell but oh well.

delrue
07-11-2022, 10:04 AM
An article from the Toronto Star about corporations jacking up prices solely to earn more profit, not just because of inflation
https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/mobile/000/023/180/notsurprisedkirk.jpg

The 12th Prime
07-11-2022, 12:00 PM
Sorry hit a paywall with the Star article, lol. Luckily with Transformers as opposed to food there are more alternative ways and marketplaces for collecting like cons and such. Even in food there are discount stores like Almost Perfect/Grocery Outlet and a few other places which means my dollars will be going there more. Luckily I live near some Native Reservations where I can get my fuel as well.

BeeTrain
07-11-2022, 02:21 PM
I am buying most of my new figures in the US now. Fortunately, I travel there for work every few weeks. Generally ends up being 20-40% cheaper after exchange and lower tax rates.

My buying has really slowed down this year as I am much more selective. I bought over 70 figures last year compared to only about 20 so far this year.

joshimus
07-11-2022, 10:34 PM
I am preordering figures that are "must have" for me and disregarding everything else...which sadly is most of it. Like, BW Inferno is a MUST for me, the Armada Starscream...nnnoo. I've certainly become far far far more picky the last few years as I slow down my collecting but these prices sure help make that easier.

Shockwave 75
07-12-2022, 08:34 AM
Luckily for me I've hit a point in my collecting a few years ago, starting mostly with Titans Return, where I just don't feel the need to buy many figures anymore. Yes, I still like them, and do want a few here and there for various reasons, but for the most part I'm skipping them.
Some because I feel like, since they're SO G1 (not that I'm complaining :primelaugh:) I feel like, I already have the G1, so why do I need this? Or for example, with the new Skids figure; I really like Skids, and I kinda want this new one, but the pragmatic part of my brain says "1. See the above argument. And 2. If you get it, you'll display it for a few months, then it'll get stuck in a bin to make room for something else. So why bother?"

But for the few that I do actually want, yes, the price has been keeping me from pulling the trigger.

yes, yes it is. I am still waiting for the wave 1 Legacy figures to go on a legit sale.
And sadly the sales we get here are total bullshit compared to the ones I see coming out of the US. They'll drop the price by $5 and call that a "sale", or sometimes a "clearance" price!

theoneyouknowleast
07-12-2022, 10:48 AM
Legacy Deluxes now 45.99 on Tru.ca .... ya im out.

evenstaves
07-12-2022, 11:09 AM
Legacy Deluxes now 45.99 on Tru.ca .... ya im out.

We can all agree it's just semantics at this point, but it's 44.99

JonoPrime
07-12-2022, 02:00 PM
Sure is ... Well from Hasbro that is.

Dabbling in other interests now where I feel there is better value for the cost.

Napseeker
07-12-2022, 03:45 PM
I started collecting Masters of the Universe Origins last year. The figures are 6-inches tall (despite Mattel officially saying they are 5.5inches), have nostalgic appeal, are fun to customize since you can swap body parts, and only cost $16 to $18 depending on where you get them.

The less I give Hasbro my money, the better. (And yes, I know the MotU stuff reuses a ton of tooling whereas Hasbro definitely uses more new tooling, but it still feels like they are price gouging -- especially on items where they own the IP like TF and GI Joe).

Collectingtoys
07-13-2022, 07:12 AM
Now if that Rise of the Beasts film is a commercial success, imagine what Hasbro and subsequently Toys R Us Canada will be raising the prices to!

Since joining this plastic addiction back in late 2015, this year has been my fewest amount of purchases so far. Only 3 figures, one of them was Earthrise Hoist 'cause my kid wanted something from TFCon.

They have to clue in there is way less revenue from folks unless other people are coming in to pickup the excess.

Transbot90210
07-13-2022, 09:32 AM
I won't buy from TRU. I try to keep all the purchases at GS with the discount. But I'm almost out and I have been in since 95.

The 12th Prime
07-13-2022, 11:31 AM
Now if that Rise of the Beasts film is a commercial success, imagine what Hasbro and subsequently Toys R Us Canada will be raising the prices to!

Since joining this plastic addiction back in late 2015, this year has been my fewest amount of purchases so far. Only 3 figures, one of them was Earthrise Hoist 'cause my kid wanted something from TFCon.

They have to clue in there is way less revenue from folks unless other people are coming in to pickup the excess.

I say it will be 50/50 if Rise of the Beasts is a commercial success and 90% artistic failure. At this point it is not the money that is the issue for me but the creative direction or lack there of. Hasbro has gone so G1 that the media for it is suffering and not investing in it will be the downfall of it and Transformers. The animated media feels like it is being sacrificed for the live action films hence the unionized movies and non-unionized animation equalling the investment being made to one over the other. The rush to pump out another big movie does not give me faith or hope it?ll be any good or get better and until this pattern putters out the toys and fans will suffer too.

Patate
07-15-2022, 12:20 AM
I just received my Tigatron from Amazon that was on sale and mine has a lazy eye. I read here and elsewhere that it is a known issue and to be careful when buying (in-store, so you can inspect), but from online, it depends if you are lucky. Personally, I'll keep it as is since it's not that uncommon to get one with lazy eyes and I'm not going to exchange until I get one that is decent. Just like Jackpot's head, you just have to deal with that bad QC.

I don't have Sludge yet and I have seem report of it having very loose legs.

It's not only the price, but it seems the quality is getting worse too.

The perfect storm to take a break and stop doing impulse buy.

Napseeker
07-15-2022, 07:42 AM
I believe the quality has been worse ever since they switched factories to Vietnam? I suppose that makes sense, since obviously the china factory slave workers have had decades more experience making action figures than the vietnamese factory slave workers.

It makes the constant price increases hard to swallow when the QC is getting worse. I don't look forward to getting Sludge and watching as his legs just flop back and forth, and there's no way to tell what you're going to get (unlike with bad paint apps) until you open it up and test the legs.

delrue
07-15-2022, 09:15 AM
I believe the quality has been worse ever since they switched factories to Vietnam? I suppose that makes sense, since obviously the china factory slave workers have had decades more experience making action figures than the vietnamese factory slave workers.

Those are just orientalist assumptions made by people who don't actually understand what life is like in China and Vietnam.

Melomeca
07-15-2022, 10:01 AM

Hasbro should have a manufacturing manager/engineer on site. That's what tech companies did in china to make sure thing ran correctly.

Soundwaves
07-15-2022, 10:17 AM
Yes.

Like an overseer.

Napseeker
07-15-2022, 10:33 AM
After China took 2 Canadians hostage recently, I doubt any westerner really wants to go over and hang out in China or Vietnam or any non-westerner friendly region.

Heck, I'm of Chinese descent and I sure as heck don't want to be in some hideous authoritarian Orwellian regime that could toss me into a cold dank prison at any time just to have some political leverage. Same applies for being in Russia or the middle-east. There are just places that you don't want to risk losing your freedom, I'd rather quit my job.

xueyue2
07-15-2022, 11:47 AM
Those are just orientalist assumptions made by people who don't actually understand what life is like in China and Vietnam.
Exactly. But again maybe the guy who says thing like this also think he is a slave here too.

xueyue2
07-15-2022, 11:49 AM
After China took 2 Canadians hostage recently, I doubt any westerner really wants to go over and hang out in China or Vietnam or any non-westerner friendly region.

Heck, I'm of Chinese descent and I sure as heck don't want to be in some hideous authoritarian Orwellian regime that could toss me into a cold dank prison at any time just to have some political leverage. Same applies for being in Russia or the middle-east. There are just places that you don't want to risk losing your freedom, I'd rather quit my job.

Even u are Chinese descent doesn't guarantee your know China or Vietnam better than others, only indicate how easy for you to blame your own people.

Melomeca
07-15-2022, 03:26 PM

Usually they pay more and cover your living expenses. Knew a guy that loved it and wanted the company to send him again. Knew an oil engineer who spent near a decade in the ME and made mint. It's about knowing what not to do when in the country.

Napseeker
07-16-2022, 01:59 AM
Even u are Chinese descent doesn't guarantee your know China or Vietnam better than others, only indicate how easy for you to blame your own people.

They're not really "my" people. I was born in Canada. I'd die to defend this country. Wouldn't lift a finger for China.

I only mentioned it in case someone was going to shout racist (on the assumption I was a caucasian, since we can't see each other on the net).

The simple fact is that once a country starts using face-recognition tech to identify citizens who are doing something that the government considers "bad" (like littering or taking more than one paper towel sheet from the public washroom) and will deduct social credit points which then limit their ability to travel or do other ordinary things, that country is a shithole Orwellian dunghole. I don't care if that's Canada or Saudi Arabia, or in this case China specifically.

You can go there, work there, etc. do whatever you want, but don't expect the same kind of freedom you get here or heaven help you if you want to protest for anything. Those Ottawa truckers would certainly be in a prison labour camp right now if they tried that overseas.