PDA

View Full Version : TF Universe Wave 1 thoughts

chaingunsofdoom
06-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Picked-up the first 3 figures today.

First question... why are there 2 bio inserts? One separate sheet and the one on the reverse side of the instruction sheet. My hunch is typo, but I didn't see any at first glance.

I've only opened Sunstreaker so far, and he looks really good. His car mode paint apps are kind of 'plain'. His transform was something a bit new. Only issues I had were his doors are hard to open (in step 3) and the back/hood does not connect very well for me in robot mode. I'm sure I missed something, but I'm not sure what. Good articulation. Cool figure. I'd rate him an 8/10.

Optimus_Prime
06-23-2008, 10:32 PM
Well I've only been lucky enough to score Prowl so far, and I love it! May not have many paint aps, but nonetheless it's very appealing and accurate to his G1 counterpart. From just looking at the pictures, the only complaint I can notice about Sunstreaker is his size, too big in comparison to other classics. As for Octane, it's probably my least favourite of the 3, his upper legs are too short just like TFA voy. Megs, and so are his aircraft mode wings.

GMfan
06-23-2008, 10:37 PM
Look on the bright side with the bio on the back of the instuctions you can keep that together and use the spare one as a poster...adds some value to each one you buy.

Pascal
06-23-2008, 10:57 PM
I like the new Universe figures, but they just don't feel like the older Classics. Plastic doesn't feel the same (thinner, flexier), engineering is not the same. It's odd because the good engineering doesn't match the feel of the toys. They have nice transformations, but they feel a bit cheap. Hopefully the Henkei versions will feel better with painted plastic. As they are, Classics 2.0 figures look a bit naked with all their missing paint apps and without the chrome...

dees
06-24-2008, 12:04 AM
We all know how bad QC is with Hasbro, but Prowl was terrible. I had to go through a few of them just to get one with a decent paintjob. Plus his legs are very awkward to pose. Sunstreaker is a really good figure despite the semi-crappy paintjob. Looking forward to the henkeis.

Wodicus
06-24-2008, 12:24 AM
I really like them they are some of my favorite hauls from TFcon. I have not had a problem with their paint applications and I really like the job that was done on Sunstreaker. I really like their transformations and how they look in their different forms. I think Sunstreaker is the best of the three, though Prowl and Octane are close behind.

jourdo
06-24-2008, 12:45 AM
I quite like them so far. Yeah, they do not feel the same as the Classics 1.0 figures... but they are decent figures in their own rights. My only QC beef so far is one of Octane's wings keeps falling off. (Yeah I said Octane... NOT Tankor).

Seeing the alternative transformation of Sunstreaker, I cannot wait to see Sideswipe. PLEASE Hasbro do not cheap out on the head and do it right.

Wodicus
06-24-2008, 12:56 AM
Well we already know that Sideswipe is going to have a different head. There are a few pictures floating around somewhere.

Malcontent
06-24-2008, 01:50 AM
Ya, I have a pic on my comp that I'll try to find and upload of Sideswipe's new head.

I had one of those problem prowls, but I e-mailed Hasbro and will get a new one.

Robimus
06-24-2008, 01:55 AM
Sunstreaker: I really like his head, by far his best feature, dudes even smiling.:D He's got kind of a Joh Travolta disco feel to him, his poseability seems somewhat limited, but does the Travolta Saturday Night Fever poses very nicely! Love both modes though I'm not sure why he has the extra roof slots for......

Prowl: Love the Prowl mold, the inclusion of the missle launchers was a brilliant touch. Looks every bit the bad ass warrior he should. I do think his sirens and paint sceme could have been better, lousey paint apps aside. Really looking forward to getting some repaints going

Really this line breaks down pretty nice thus far though I still have no Octane.:( Love all the repaint projects I can start thinking about, never mind Thundercracker when Acid Rain hits the shelves. Red Alert and Smokescreen are very likely.......hey maybe those extra holes on Sunstreakers roof are for Red Alerts sirens......:)

chaingunsofdoom
06-24-2008, 02:34 AM
Opened Octane. I'm not sure if I'd go with "work in progress" or just "bizarre". Some of the triplechanger joints are genius. Look/colors are good and he has the better paint of the three IMHO.

The big tanker cover becoming a blade thingy is a nice touch, but the connector on his waist will strip it down on most kids' toys. The dual gun looks OK but seems to cover a lot of the arm and needs a longer barrel. I like the legs and finally snapped the 'toes' enough so they work properly and he can stand. :)

My QC problem applies to his left arm. There's a tiny pin holding it into the nose section and then onto the 2nd wheel's arm at the same time. Mine popped-off completely and I'm not sure I've got in on properly or if it's just broken. I can see there's some kind of ball joint inside the wheel, which is something I've never seen before on a TF. If it's broken it's gonna suck trying to find another one for a while.

Spacemonkey
06-24-2008, 03:29 AM
Same as Pascal says about plastic quality vs great engineering. I really like the innovation in bringing new transformations, but plastic feels cheaper, lighter if we compare to the previous lines including the movie line. I had the same tought when i got my first Animated but it's more true with te first Classic 2.0. Despite that, i really like them even if:

-Prowl's right arm pop of when I transform him because of a shoulder joint to tight (i have the same issue withe one of Animated Ratchet's leg)
-Tankor/Octane's head don't go out enough from is chest (seems to be a guy with no neck) but he seems to wear a better plastic.
-Sunstreaker chestplatedon't finish perfectly straight when fully transformed ( must look very carefully to notice that)

They're good hommage to their G1 counterpart , even if japanese versions will get better and more accurate paint job (except for the chrome).

About the plastic quality, I don't know if it have something to do with the oil price ( base for most of plastics) , I mean Hasbro probably made a compromise to keep the same range of price for their toys.

devilsknight
06-24-2008, 08:14 AM
Definately agree about the cheaper feel of the plastic...lead content tests anyone ?! LOL

To be honest not too much of a fan of Tankor/Octane...but I love Sunstreaker and Prowl.

As for QC, only issue I had was with Sunstreakers chest that you rotate to bring up his head. It would turn all the way for his head but then his chest plate would only rotate 90% around. I fixed it by applying more pressure and snapping past the gear for his head rotation and snapping it back. Still works fine and it's straight now.

Can't wait for wave 2 and Galvatron !

Batman
06-24-2008, 01:00 PM
I am glad I am waiting for the Henkei versions, however I have yet to see them in person, so I might end up caving if I do.

Vangelus
06-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Sunstreaker and Prowl have been excellent buys, for me. Haven't had any problems with either of 'em, so apparently I lucked out on Prowl's paint.

I do agree that they feel different than the older Classics, but to me its a case of Classics being very Cybertron-esque, while Universe Classics feel more Movie-esque (so far).

Gotta say though, Tankor's robot mode kind of bugs me with its shoulder design and sunken head. Still got some good poses out of it though.

The Henkei redecos are neat, but more often than not the chrome placement really puts me off. Going by the recent toy show pics, I'm very much not into Prowl's silver spoiler.

Wodicus
06-24-2008, 01:58 PM
I honestly don't notice any difference in the plastic of the Universe toys and everything else I own. I just don't get it. I hoesntly prefer these figures over those of the Henkei line, the chrome applications they apply to those toys really kills any desire I have in getting them.

General Tekno
06-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Sunstreaker is awesome.

I was gonna wait to get them, but I caved on him at TFCon - great figure. Can pull off a lot of great poses.

Oh, and for the record - when I first got him I had trouble getting his back to lock in. Found out that there's some stuff you need to make sure is pulled out all the way for it to fit properly- it now locks fine.

Biggest complaint of mine is that I almost lost the engine twice in the dealer room - it doesn't anchor on to the car mode as tightly as it does in robot mode.

brr-icy
06-24-2008, 04:41 PM
i love these figs, i have had really good luck with the paint, etc. they are sweet, i don't really like the automorph features on any tf much, but streakers is pretty good,

chaingunsofdoom
06-24-2008, 04:50 PM
My take on Prowl... he's awesome. :) Best of the bunch IMHO. Looks good in both modes. No weird steps in his transformation (no pieces popping-off for me either). His painted brown windows for legs looks pretty 'meh' though.

Benzo
06-24-2008, 05:06 PM
I'm very impressed with wave 1 universe. so glad Hasbro decided to continue this line. as for the "cheap" plastic feel, I can't tell the difference. they feel all the same to me.

kakit
06-24-2008, 05:40 PM
I like the new Universe figures, but they just don't feel like the older Classics. Plastic doesn't feel the same (thinner, flexier), engineering is not the same. It's odd because the good engineering doesn't match the feel of the toys.
Very true, I wondered if anyone else felt this way. I mean they're nice but its slightly off from the old Classics.

In proto pics, I wasn't exactly a fan of Streaker, but the protos for Prowl and Octane looked awesome. With all three in possession, I can only honestly say that Streaker is the most decent one. Prowl, legs and arms kinda weird and isn't exactly the best to pose. Octane, kinda feels like the toy is accurately proportioned. I hope this isn't the issue witht he rest of the toys, but from what Ironhide looks like so far, it seems they're continuing with this derivation of the Classics style.

Optimus_Prime
06-24-2008, 06:10 PM
Very true, I wondered if anyone else felt this way. I mean they're nice but its slightly off from the old Classics.

I hope this isn't the issue witht he rest of the toys, but from what Ironhide looks like so far, it seems they're continuing with this derivation of the Classics style.

I think that's better than having a couple of figures that stand out from many. At least as more figures are released the classics 1.0 and 2.0 will start to combine in the minds of the fans, both will be welcomed as "Classics" styled IMO.

Optimus_Prime
06-25-2008, 12:55 PM
Dammit!!! My Prowl is screwed! The section right above the rear windshield is turning black, it looks horrible! That's 1 point off Prowl for me.

kakit
06-25-2008, 01:23 PM
I think that's better than having a couple of figures that stand out from many. At least as more figures are released the classics 1.0 and 2.0 will start to combine in the minds of the fans, both will be welcomed as "Classics" styled IMO.
Yeah I understand that point of view too. I'm not saying they're bad or anything, just wanting to note the difference. I actually really enjoy Sunstreaker's mold. I can't wait for Sideswipe's release.

The transformation process for the 2.0 seem to be more involved than 1.0 so that's a welcome change for me. But in the case of Prowl, it was quite difficult for me to move his doors without getting the backside of it to fall off, but it might just be me.

Blitzwing
06-25-2008, 05:13 PM
Octane is my favorite of the three. Love his plane mode. The robot mode's only problem is that his arms don't have a whole lot of articulation. The double gun is kind of lacking as well.

Sunstreaker, I love in car mode. His robot mode is a little off however. His back doesn't click in very well, also his chest doesn't turn all the way so it's on a slightl askew angle. He's great for poseability though.

Prowl is great in both car and robot modes. He's probobly the most poseable in robot mode of the three. The only thing I don't like about him is that his doors fall off very easily during transformation. I love his shoulder rockets though, that was a great addition. I think I will enjoy the Silverstreak repaint more just because Prowl's a little too white.

QuadESL63
06-25-2008, 08:36 PM
I wish the front wings on Octa... Tankor :rolleyes: can be a bit longer. It looks weird in its transport aircraft mode. However, when they form that big tooth-saw like weapon thing it just looks bad@ss! :cool: And, I like the 2-in-1 gun. The plastic does seems to be not as thick as the Classic 1.0 figures. Paint job on mine looks fine, though so no complaint here... but I wish it has the full paint job like the TFA Voyagers.

Haven't unwrapped :eek: my Sunstreaker and Prowl yet so no comment...

Ozrein
06-25-2008, 08:46 PM
I only have Octane so far and I think he's pretty good. All 3 modes look decent, looks like they sacrificed a little bit in all 3 to get a really good overall figure. He'll happily reside beside Classics Astrotrain on the shelf.

Cliffjumper69
06-25-2008, 10:24 PM
I think the 2.0 toys are alright, I was really excited when I bought them, and when I got home I kinda felt.... let down. The hype with these toys was huge, they look good sitting on my shelf, but I really have no desire to play with them :(

CJ

soundwaveCA
06-26-2008, 12:14 PM
I like the new Universe figures, but they just don't feel like the older Classics. Plastic doesn't feel the same (thinner, flexier), engineering is not the same. It's odd because the good engineering doesn't match the feel of the toys. They have nice transformations, but they feel a bit cheap. Hopefully the Henkei versions will feel better with painted plastic. As they are, Classics 2.0 figures look a bit naked with all their missing paint apps and without the chrome...

I feel pretty much the same way, toys are pretty good overall but the cheap feel of the plastic and the lack of paint apps really hurt them. Octain is the best of the three though no question and is one of the few Classics toys I've really liked and have kept around. Even with this new wave my overall veiw though still stands though in regards to Classics in general. Wile decent toys I've really been underwhelmed by the lot of them in general. I've found that even though I might get excited over them initially that excitement faded pretty fast and in a day or two I find myself putting them away in storage with no real urge to bring them back out again. I dont know what it is about them but I find the line just not as interesting as a lot of the mainline stuff (Movie, now Animated). Only real Classics toy that has really held my interest since release is Megatron and the Henkei one has definitely become my favorite by a mile. After TFCon as well the prospect arnt looking any brighter as after playing around with Silverbolt and Ironhide I was again very much underwhelmed (though yes Onslaught was pretty awesome).

Just my 2 cents anyway, I know I'm not the biggest fan of this line but it's good to see others are so as long as people find enjoyment out of them that's always the key :)

tusko
06-26-2008, 04:14 PM
Happy!
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e267/Tusko/Transformers/DSC08069.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e267/Tusko/Transformers/DSC08066.jpg

crimbot
07-05-2008, 01:50 PM
Finally got my "Octane" and I feel a little disapointed, maybe because I really wanted him so badly. Octane was my first TF as a child and I couldn't wait for the classics one. I think it's the head. the paint seems messy and it doesn't pose very nicely. I do like his neat transformation gimmics, but I think a lot was sacrificed on this toy to make it happen. I like my g1 one better.

The paint on my prowl is starting to get worse with only a few transformations. It's turning black or somthing. lame.

Robimus
07-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Strangely I was looking forward to Octane the least, but think I like that one the best. Sunstreaker is a bit bow legged and the paint on Prowl is yuck.
Octane isn't hugely possable either but the poses he can do I like. And he's got the Chow Yun Fat two gun action going on!:)

A solid Prowl repaint though could swing my vote because I like that mold the best.

SPLIT LIP
07-05-2008, 02:10 PM
My thoughts so far (note: this is all subject to change minus what I said about 'Swipe and 'Streaker):

I love Sunstreaker, he's the perfect example of a great deluxe.

Prowl looks like crap to me, but I'll reserve final judgement until I find one. (many a figure have appeared crappy to me before but I actually don't mind them)

Tankor is meh. But I like Octane a lot so I may get him anyway.

Sideswipe = hells yes.

Ironhide = steamy pile.

Ratchet is good so far but as I just said, mould has lots and lots of flaws. But again, he's a fav of mine as a character.

Silverstreak is a must buy even if the mould sucks just because Bluestreak: FTW. If he can back that up with a decent mould more power to 'im.

I have not seen Hound or Cyclonus, but I'm eagerly waiting for them to show up somewhere on the internets.

Onslaught is good. Thta's all I'll say for now.

Powerglide looks bad and Silverbolt looks like... G1 Silverbolt. (still dunno if that's a good or bad thing)

All the legends look awesome, especially Hound. Even the Animated Legends are kinda cool.

Blitzwing
07-05-2008, 03:40 PM
I have not seen Hound or Cyclonus, but I'm eagerly waiting for them to show up somewhere on the internets.

All the legends look awesome, especially Hound. Even the Animated Legends are kinda cool.

Is there a Classics Hound coming out besides the Legends release?

SPLIT LIP
07-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Is there a Classics Hound coming out besides the Legends release?Yes, a deluxe that comes with Ravage. (based off MTMTE)