PDA

View Full Version : Have the G1 toys lost their luster?

jourdo
06-09-2008, 02:18 PM
I'm in the process of redoing my display area, and find myself pulling things off of the shelf that just do not "wow" me as much anymore.

The rubbermaid with these figures seems to have most of the G1 reissues, minibots, etc. I've only kept out the combiners, major figures (eg. Optimus, Megatron, etc), the big guys like Metroplex.

I look at these old figures and they just don't do it for me like they used to. With all of the great lines available now, and the incredible complexity of the figures... does G1 still stand out for you?

Don't get me wrong, I like G1 figures... just not as much as a lot of the modern stuff out there. With Classics/Universe out there, is G1 even necessary (we have many of the characters we love with modern engineering)?

Thoughts? Opinions?

GMfan
06-09-2008, 02:23 PM
With all the new figures that have come out in recent years I can't help but be disappointed with the G1 toys. The characters I love but the stiffness and total lack of articulation is disappointing now. I like to think I have a finer taste now :P

I still do however get G1 figures that I doubt will be updated anytime in the near future such as Predaking, Trypticon, Sixshot, and Lio Kaiser

DCompose
06-09-2008, 02:26 PM
G1 forever, they will never lose their luster with me

-KG-
06-09-2008, 02:35 PM
It doesn't matter to me how crappy the G1 toys are compared to today's TF's. That's what I grew up with and I absolutely loved them. I loved the show and playing with them as a kid. For that reason I collect them today. I like the newer lines and I collect some of them as well, but at the end of the day, they don't really have a special place for me. I have all the classics in front of me at my desk. They look great and have great transformations but it's just not the same. I don't really "care" for them like that.

Ironically I don't have my g1's on display. But that's mainly because I want to protect them from dust and sunlight (and lack of space).

I feel like if you're gonna spend all this money on collecting toys (and it's hella expensive), you have to love them. I just don't know if in 10 or 20 years I will care at all for Classics, Movie or any other line. I still buy them though:rolleyes:

Aernaroth
06-09-2008, 03:15 PM
The G1 figures are the originals. In some, the complexity of the design is still staggering, even if the articulation isn't there. The realism of some alternate modes is another aspect that is absent in most tfs today (except the alternators), and with others, there's just a beautiful simplicity in them.

So yeah, tfs today are different, and have certainly benefitted from advances in technology, but that doesn't take away from what G1 was able to accomplish.

brr-icy
06-09-2008, 04:01 PM
g1 forever! the movie line has already lost it's lustre, classics mps and alts blend well enough to stay, but i'll always keep my g1s

pud333
06-09-2008, 04:08 PM
I had a bunch of G1 toys as a kid, mom sold them all when I went to college, don't miss them one bit. I have a nostalgia for the figures, but the characters live on in way better toy versions (eg: OP, BB, Ironhide, etc).

FreedomGundam
06-09-2008, 04:24 PM
It's funny for me.
The only reason I like G1 is because it's the line that started it all. I tend to prefer the newer incarnations of characters (Alternators, Classics, etc) just because not only do they look better, they are also much better toy-wise. So G1 is mostly for nostalgia purposes for me.

What's kind of odd is that I still have all my old G1 toys from when I was a kid, and I don't think I could ever get myself to sell those, even though I don't care much for the G1 toyline anyways. I guess G1 really just has that "oh, that's my childhood" feel to it for most fans.

Paradigm-Shift Prime
06-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Yes, G1 has definitely lost its luster. Everybody sell all theirs to me cheap!!!

Aernaroth
06-09-2008, 05:09 PM
G1 has lost is lustre because die cast parts eventually corrode and chrome aps wear off over time.

jjwankenobi
06-09-2008, 05:11 PM
G1 toys are, more or less, mythical in how great they were as toys.

Aside from "legendary" G1 toys like Skyfire/Jetfire and the Devastator combiner set, most old school Transformers leave you wanting more (i.e., Ironhide, Ratchet and dare I say 'ol Optimus Prime too).

Advances in plastics and manufacturing have brought us to the point where the Classics/Universe line and the incredible Masterpiece series are clearly superior to their G1 toy counterparts.

But with that said...there would be nothing without the old G1 toys. So although they've lost their luster, they shine bright as inspirations for all things with an Autobot and Decepticon sticker on them today.

Paradigm-Shift Prime
06-09-2008, 05:20 PM
Another pro for G1...they were made better.

Everything modern is cheap-o made in China quality, and though Hasbro plastics are certainly better than cheap-o ko plastics, they leave very much to be desired and QC these days is getting beyond terrible (breaks, paint apps, loose joints, etc.).

Some of my vintage G1 that had obviously gotten played with are still in better condition than some new figures right out of the package today.

Pascal
06-09-2008, 07:42 PM
I think jourdo wants to start a mass G1 devaluation movement to top brrr-icy's latest G1 haul while paying even less. Admit it!!!

CobraCommander
06-09-2008, 09:12 PM
I like G1 primarily cause the vehicles/alt modes were real life commercial products like VW, Lambos, Ferrari, Walther P38 etc. Also as mentioned the QC was better and the inclusion of diecast gave it that extra bit of value.

Now a days you only see those with the Alts and the Movie line, but not all car companies just a select few that allow Hasbro the rights to use their vehicle likeness.

chans formers
06-09-2008, 09:31 PM
from the 80s to now and the future....geeeeeone all the way!!

Batman
06-09-2008, 09:41 PM
The chrome is what I liked the most. It really makes the figures pop. Could you imagine how much cooler the movie toys would look if they had chromed out parts?

Optimus_Prime
06-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Even though my only G1 fig is reissue Soundwave, I'd suggest you keep them on display. They were the originals, the most well known and important of all TF's (not as good as classics though). If you run out of space, take off all of your RID and Unicron trilogy figs! The movie represents G1, animated does, classics/Universe does, so keep those displayed too.

brr-icy
06-09-2008, 09:59 PM
i agree with the quality, chromed parts, and diecast, articulation is nice, but the only way to completely replace g1 would be masterpiece everything and everyone.

cannabisprime
06-09-2008, 10:40 PM
I look at these old figures and they just don't do it for me like they used to. With all of the great lines available now, and the incredible complexity of the figures... does G1 still stand out for you?

Don't get me wrong, I like G1 figures... just not as much as a lot of the modern stuff out there. With Classics/Universe out there, is G1 even necessary (we have many of the characters we love with modern engineering)?

Thoughts? Opinions?

Without the nostalgia factor, no, I don't think G1 would stand out for me personally. Then again, it's not a fair comparison to compare toys that are made decades apart anyways.

jourdo
06-10-2008, 12:49 AM
I think jourdo wants to start a mass G1 devaluation movement to top brrr-icy's latest G1 haul while paying even less. Admit it!!!

I'm just not smart enough to come up with a plan that diabolical. :o

If you start seeing me push Gobots though... watch out!

Robimus
06-10-2008, 01:51 AM
G1 toys will never lose their importance to me, but I do prefer the newer incarnations in most cases. As a kid Transformers was as much about the cartoon as the toys. Some of the G1 toys were pretty darn good(Prime, Soundwave, etc....) for play value while others(Battlechargers, Mini-bots etc...) came across very lacking when compared to their cartoon images. While G1 Soundwave stands the test of time, G1 Ironhide does not. A classics cartoon inspired Ironhide on the other hand?:D

onecoin
06-10-2008, 02:41 AM
It took alot of design and engineer innovation to get transformers to where they were today. Alot of people saying "Why can't this?" "Why can't that?" and alot of people commiting to make those changes. Every little change is really a choice that can cost hundreds of thousand of dollars decision, that takes thousands of man hours.

If you look at the original G1 stuff it is amazing that those first few waves were made with very little reference material. Those original designer had to create a new toy concept out of thin air, and that has to be respected. Especially since most of the alt modes looked more like thier real life counterparts than other more dedicated toys at the time.

But I still believe in the "Make a car that turns into something that kinda looks like a robot"