PDA

View Full Version : Could use some suggestions for where to get a relatively cheap display case.

Darkmatter
01-08-2019, 01:31 PM
Hi, I could use some suggestions for where to get a "relatively" cheap display case. If I could get an fairly expensive MP instead of the case, it's to much. lol

Um, I like black, and metal or chrome. I'm mainly trying to make them visible, but away from as much of the dust as possible.

There is a $60 one at Ikea that I may get depending on what people here suggest.

Thanks!

predahank
01-08-2019, 01:46 PM
I believe Detolfs are the standard issue but you could go retail display if you’re willing to stretch the budget.

https://www.eddies.com/products/search/eyJyZXN1bHRfcGFnZSI6InByb2R1Y3RzXC9zZWFyY2hcLyIsIm tleXdvcmRzIjoiY2FiaW5ldHMifQ/Wide-Frameless-Counter-Showcase-With-Black-Base-214360

wervenom
01-08-2019, 01:56 PM
Detolfs work well depending on the size of your figures and believe me do I know Detolfs lol

Darkmatter
01-08-2019, 02:34 PM
Yea, I'd love that but if I could get that I'd probably get MP Shockwave instead. lol Guess I'll go with my Ikea option if there aren't any other options that people are aware of.

Thanks!

optimusb39
01-08-2019, 02:36 PM
check kijiji roo. sometimes someone is selling glass display cases for cheap. you never know

BoNKerS
01-08-2019, 02:54 PM
I love the Ikea Billy Book case with the glass doors.

I have 1 and I'm looking to add more eventually.

Zenith27
01-08-2019, 04:27 PM
I love the Ikea Billy Book case with the glass doors.

I have 1 and I'm looking to add more eventually.

I have black ones with doors and glass shelves. The glass shelves are awesome but they discontinued the plain black Billys. Stupid IKEA.

Ozrein
01-08-2019, 04:34 PM
I use detolfs for glass enclosed display shelves. Otherwise, I just use cheap open 6' height book cases from Walmart.

Darkmatter
01-09-2019, 06:28 AM
I think I'm going to get this. I like the look and the price. ;)

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/10119206/#/10119206

BTW, I should ask, what is the number of inches I want each shelf to be?

Thanks!

wervenom
01-09-2019, 07:59 AM
I think I'm going to get this. I like the look and the price. ;)

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/10119206/#/10119206

BTW, I should ask, what is the number of inches I want each shelf to be?

Thanks!

I'm not sure what you mean by that but the shelves in Detolfs are not adjustable. Each one is spaced at roughly 15 1/2 inches

Darkmatter
01-09-2019, 09:31 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by that but the shelves in Detolfs are not adjustable. Each one is spaced at roughly 15 1/2 inches

Thanks for the info!

I was referring to how tall the tallest MP, in his highest position (for example, Rodimus on his open battle platform) would be so I didn't end up with a case that couldn't hold some MP figure I might get in the future. I'm assuming (and I may be dead wrong on this, but isn't MP-10, or maybe now, MP-44 the tallest figure? Since MP-44 won't be out till late summer could someone measure how tall Optimus is when he is standing on his opened trailer? (If that would be the likely tallest figure.)

Thanks!

Edit: Just measured my Rodimus on his trailer and 15 1/2 should be plenty. The only exception might be a MP that has an attachment at the back to use one of those clear stands, but even then I think I'd have room. Either way, it is what I am willing to afford since everything I need to get takes away from another MP figure. :)

alternatorfan
01-09-2019, 11:10 AM
Thats what she said....lol

Marcotron
01-09-2019, 12:22 PM
For masterpieces, get a detolf. Nice glass door, less dust.
For more space, go to canadian tire, and get the 5 shelf bookshelf whenever they go on sale.

TRUCKvsGUN
01-09-2019, 01:52 PM
Just keep an eye on kijiji. I was once able to buy 2 sets of Billy bookcases with oxberg doors for just $50.

NeoMatter
01-13-2019, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the info!

I was referring to how tall the tallest MP, in his highest position (for example, Rodimus on his open battle platform) would be so I didn't end up with a case that couldn't hold some MP figure I might get in the future. I'm assuming (and I may be dead wrong on this, but isn't MP-10, or maybe now, MP-44 the tallest figure? Since MP-44 won't be out till late summer could someone measure how tall Optimus is when he is standing on his opened trailer? (If that would be the likely tallest figure.)

Thanks!

Edit: Just measured my Rodimus on his trailer and 15 1/2 should be plenty. The only exception might be a MP that has an attachment at the back to use one of those clear stands, but even then I think I'd have room. Either way, it is what I am willing to afford since everything I need to get takes away from another MP figure. :)

MP-22 Ultra Magnus was a rather tight fit in the Detolf. MP-23 is also another big MP that might push over those limits. The thing with the Detolf is if you are willing to get some extra hardware, measure and level, you can adjust the shelves yourself. I've managed to put 10" dolls/figures and misc stuff on an adjusted top shelf mounted on cable clamps, 17" fashion dolls on second shelf, 12" fashion dolls on third shelf and misc MPs/mecha on bottom shelf. Wish Ikea sold the Detolf shelves separately for DIY users that want to put smaller items into it and still maximize space inside.