PDA

View Full Version : Animated Lockdown

C.Diddy
05-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Has anyone else busted off one of Lockdown's hands yet ? First time transforming him I did exactly that. Why would Hasbro give him such gimpy hands ? Does anyone have pictures of the modification to the arm grille, so he can have straight hands ?

ANDROID PRIME
05-06-2008, 11:30 AM
I can take some pics when I get home. bassically you do the same thing as the bumble bee. you use a knife and slice away the plastic that gets in the way. you only need to cut the grey plastic on the hands where it meets the wrist.

Decepticon Army
05-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Whew, I thought I got a bum copy.
But yeah, with mine is left hand is very close to snapping, so I just posed him with the least amount of pressure on his hand and left it at that.

Pascal
05-06-2008, 12:10 PM
After reading the first review of Lockdown a few months ago where the guy did exactly what you did, I was already warned about the problem. :)

Team Jetfire
05-06-2008, 12:25 PM
After reading the first review of Lockdown a few months ago where the guy did exactly what you did, I was already warned about the problem. :)

Me too, thankfully...

dak
05-06-2008, 04:27 PM
that's why I believe the instructions say, no excessive force necessary. that being said, there is a slight flaw in the design, and is easily fixed.

brr-icy
05-06-2008, 04:31 PM
i just noticed that the hand wasn't going to move anymore without force and stopped

Paradigm-Shift Prime
05-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Yeah definitely a pretty bad problem with him. It's not just that the hands are molded to only open 1/3 of the way but also that hand plastic material seems so thin and airy, the combination of which will probably lead to one of two of every Lockdown getting broken right on first transformation (think of younger children with that).

Betsumei
05-06-2008, 06:41 PM
I missed the warnings on this. As for the use of excessive force, I had already found a number of quite stiff joints in the figure I picked up and (wrongly) assumed that this was another of the same.

Anyone in or around Edmonton want to split a new Lockdown? I need a right hand, so someone with a broken left hand could get fixed without spending full retail.

brr-icy
05-06-2008, 06:44 PM
can someone upload a pic of where to cut? i tried but i don't think it did anything

ANDROID PRIME
05-06-2008, 08:29 PM
heres a pic. you only need to cut the grey plastic of the hand. I used an exacto knife (boxcutter). and took little slivers off at a time.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e101/Android4/DSC04690.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e101/Android4/DSC04691.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e101/Android4/DSC04682.jpg

pandaprime
05-06-2008, 09:39 PM
heres a pic. you only need to cut the grey plastic of the hand. I used an exacto knife (boxcutter). and took little slivers off at a time.

awesome pics! I managed to whittle it down with minimum damage! thanks! :)

brr-icy
05-06-2008, 10:02 PM
thanks, mine are fixed! why they didn't do that in the factory we'll never know

mcmus
05-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Pictures look great especially the head looked awesome.

Decepticreep
05-11-2008, 02:36 AM
Nothing has snapped off yet.... thank god! But I don't like his left hand, it only comes out half way so it's curled to the side, I'm gonna try to cut it tomorrow. For the other arm I have his gun and hook on it :)

Nocturn
05-11-2008, 11:23 AM
I dunno man... the gimpy hands don't really bother me, for some reason.

Nemesis Predaking
05-11-2008, 11:59 AM
Did this about 5 secs after I saw how stupid his hands looked. It makes all the difference in the world.

Tech Spec
05-12-2008, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the tips AP just finished and Lockdown looks much better.

JonoPrime
05-12-2008, 11:22 AM
Looks good, just tried the BB mod and it turned out pretty good ... Going to go try this one in a few

Pascal
05-12-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm not going to hack a toy it took me so long to obtain. At least not yet. ;)

Endersrun
05-12-2008, 04:53 PM
Oops... Broke the left hand right outta the box. Darnit!

Shoulda read this before, but then again... I've "forced" quite a few other new transformers and this didn't happen. Maybe Hasbro really should have waited until June to release, send it to Quality control. Maybe that way 8 year-olds won't be crying about amputating their favorite Decepti... Bounty-Hun... Decepti-bounti-hu-con-ter?... (Okay maybe I'm not 8, but 36 year-olds can cry too...).

O well, I kinda have the hand hanging there, looks okay...but my friends can't touch or I loose the hand with the dust bunnies. And their hands will soon follow....

Euroflip
05-13-2008, 02:45 PM
in a member of the one handed lockdown club lol

ohnaji
05-15-2008, 10:06 PM
Just got Lockdown and performed the minor 'plastic surgery' on it's hands. The mod makes a significant difference. It doesn't look arthritic anymore.
I'm surprised this figure is taller than Starscream. I've got those two towering over my animated Autobot DLX's. It's a shame the head isn't on a better joint. Having the head tilt when it swivels makes it look somewhat awkward. Not a huge deal as it really is an impressive toy.

Sam's Happy Time
05-15-2008, 10:15 PM
Same thing happened to me. :(

This qualifies as the first time I ever broke a TF while transforming him!

A little crazy-glue around the ring-joint fixed him right up though.

Magnimus
05-16-2008, 10:04 AM
In a review of Lockdown that I posted on Seibertron.com, I also warned about this hand problem. I didn't bust mine off, but almost. You simply cannot rotate his hand out more than a roughly 90 degree angle or the plastic ring holding the hand to the joint will snap.

This is as far as it goes:

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/2073/april15th2008toystfalocsp0.th.jpg (http://img403.imageshack.us/my.php?image=april15th2008toystfalocsp0.jpg)

Whisky Tango Foxtrot
05-17-2008, 07:39 PM
I'm trying to do this mod myself but there isn't enough room between the hand and the arm-piece to get a knife in. Any pointers on how to do this? The pin only pokes through on one end so I can't push it through and there doesn't seem to be any other way of removing the hand.

Nemesis Predaking
05-17-2008, 07:56 PM
just get a small Hobby/x-cato knife & shave small amount off til the hands come out as much as you want. Shave of the grey plastic right beside the black. It should only take you about 5 mins to do both. Super easy mod, makes all the difference in the world

Whisky Tango Foxtrot
05-17-2008, 08:17 PM
I've been shaving for quite a while and it hasn't made a difference. I'm doing it from the side away from the thumb. Is that what I should be doing? The other side is almost completely inaccessible.

Nemesis Predaking
05-17-2008, 08:36 PM

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e101/Android4/DSC04690.jpg

you should be working on this point. Your right there is not a lot of room to work but you dont need to remove alot of plastic, maybe post pics to see where your going wrong ??

Whisky Tango Foxtrot
05-17-2008, 08:45 PM
I don't have a digital camera but I've been shaving in the circled area on that picture. I think I might have gotten another degree or two of movement out of it but nothing close to what's in the pictures.

EDIT: Anyway, I think I've got the hands as close to straight as I'm going to get them. They still don't go out as far as in the pictures, but they go far enough to look decent so I stuck a Reprolabels mini-rubsign (which looks great on him) on his chest and called it a day. It's by no means a "five-minute mod" but after a while it's possible to make this figure look decent. Now to figure out what to do about his roof insignia (this guy is a freelance bounty hunter, not a Decepticon dammit!)

Nemesis Predaking
05-17-2008, 09:53 PM
I don't have a digital camera but I've been shaving in the circled area on that picture. I think I might have gotten another degree or two of movement out of it but nothing close to what's in the pictures.

EDIT: Anyway, I think I've got the hands as close to straight as I'm going to get them. They still don't go out as far as in the pictures, but they go far enough to look decent so I stuck a Reprolabels mini-rubsign (which looks great on him) on his chest and called it a day. It's by no means a "five-minute mod" but after a while it's possible to make this figure look decent. Now to figure out what to do about his roof insignia (this guy is a freelance bounty hunter, not a Decepticon dammit!)

As long as your happy with the end result that's all that matters.

For the roof, DON"T use Isoproanol Alcohol or any other type of stripper. You will end up removing the black paint as well, it's clear red plastic underneath.

Whisky Tango Foxtrot
05-17-2008, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the tip. I guess I'll just have to paint over it, then, if I can find the right type of black paint to match the rest of the roof.