PDA

View Full Version : All with Animated, what's your take?

SPLIT LIP
05-03-2008, 09:02 PM
This goes out to all who have Animated figures. (sorry to exclude those who don't)

What do you think of them? I got Optimus, Prowl and Lockdown. They're amazing and the detail and effort gone into engineering and producing these is incredible. Optimus may be my all-time favourite next to Sky-byte. I really wish I had found at least one Bumblebee, but hey, can't win 'em all.

So I'd like to hear your thoughts. I know a lot of members here have found these.

brr-icy
05-03-2008, 09:31 PM
awesome figs, i think prowl is my favorite so far, i like them all though, the amount of thought that went into matching the toys with that style of animation is crazy. up in my top four tf lines

Benzo
05-03-2008, 09:37 PM
I think their great! Prime is my favourite so far followed by Bumblebee. I also got Prowl and Lockdown. to my surprise, Lockdown is actually a pretty good figure and I love his alt mode.

Sokar
05-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Very impressive from what I've seen so far. I still prefer the MP/Binaltech and the movie toys for the complexity of the appearance for those figures, but these are definitely very very nice figures.

Pascal
05-03-2008, 10:04 PM
I'm really thrilled with this series of toys, very unique design. Complete opposite of the Movie series, which I equally like. The Voyager class is particularly impressive. I like the fact that the Animated toys have very innovative transformations that, unlike Movie toys, are play-friendly.

Ninjatron
05-03-2008, 10:06 PM
I have Bumblebee and Cybertron Mode Optimus. Just got them today, actually. I'm surprised at how much I like them. I have a few minor gripes, mostly regarding a few missing paint applications on the final product, but all in all they're pretty interesting even though they're quite different than the more traditional style of Transformers we had been getting over the past few years. These guys have a lot of personality.

Sayonara.

Pascal
05-03-2008, 10:18 PM
Missing paint apps? Compared to the show or compared to what the toy is supposed to have?

Frozen_Primal
05-03-2008, 10:44 PM
so far, i like... even if my prime is missing a fully painted yellow light on the left side (back left shoulder :) )

Spacemonkey
05-03-2008, 11:09 PM
For now I only have Deluxe cybertronian Prime and Bumblebee. I like both of them but Prime a bit more. Both have a great poseability but Prime got more in the arms. I have only one complaint about BB, it's about his stingers and the fact that some plastic tabs a bit too long stop them too fold completely inside his forearms when they're not in use.There's enough room and the openings have the right shape to permit that.

onecoin
05-04-2008, 01:40 AM
Still waiting on mine. They look good in the package at the store. There sure are alot of guys bashing them, especially in the Post your Hauls thread.

CobraCommander
05-04-2008, 02:29 AM
Love them so far, but then again I have them still sealed... waiting for a rainy day to bust them open to play :D

ohnaji
05-04-2008, 03:18 AM
Got Prowl, Prime and BB. I'm most impressed with Prime, in terms of engineering and the overall look. I currently have him in a Conanesque action pose where both of his hands are holding the axe weapon. Every time I look at it I can hear Basil Poledouris's iconic soundtrack. The only issue I have with this figure is the scale, but that really is such a minor point. The voyager version can not come any sooner.
Prowl has tremendous articulation. In my opinion he's about 90% show accurate. Once again scale is somewhat an issue, because it's proportions aren't consistent with at least BB. It's a taller figure than BB, but when the heads are compared, Prowl definitely looks out of place. I wish we got a wider range of movement from it's waist joint, and the ball joint for the toes can't be manipulated too much to stabilize balance very well. Usually, when I put this figure in an action pose, it's resting on its inner soles. I find this figure to be easily toppled because of this. The automorph shuriken are fun, but I wish there was a better way to have Prowl wield them and of course the traffic light weapon accessory is as lame you'd imagine it to be. It's almost as if Hasbro decided to include it to meet some plastic quotient in order to elevate this figure from basic to deluxe class. I had to exchange my first Prowl purchase because of defects. The chest wouldn't snap into the tab in robot mode and the bike handles didn't fold in properly. Save those receipts. Fun toy nonetheless.
Prime is most impressive but BB is my favourite. I feel it most reflects the artistic intent of the series more so than any other figure released so far. The engineering is completely audacious, by over complicating a seemingly simple transformation. It's not difficult to transform, just really 'creative'. As resourceful the construction of this figure is, I do have gripes. I wish ball joints were used for the elbows, or at least a swivel joint was used. The arms don't have much dynamic possibilities beyond forming the main stinger weapon. The stingers should have been hidden better when pushed into the forearm. Like the Ultimate BB last year, this figure has monstrous amounts of plastic on the lower feet, It doesn't limit articulation for most poses, but it looks bad. The hip joints don't swivel horizontally limiting range of movement. The head is somewhat puzzling, since it tilts whenever it turns left or right. This just looks weird. Regardless, BB is still really fun to have, and really a must have for animated collectors. The same can be said for Prime and Prowl.
Fantastic start to this Toyline. I'm not a big fan of the actual animation designs, but these toys are incredible.
I'm still on the fence on whether or not Lockdown is worth a purchase. From what I've seen it looks pretty cool, or at least the alt mode does. Love to hear more about it.

Batman
05-04-2008, 07:19 AM
I have all four. Quality control on these are pretty bad though. I had to sift through 5 or 6 Primes to find one with a properly painted windshield. My Lockdown has all kinds of scratches on his matte finish and some weird white residue that I managed to get off, and I had to exchange my prowl because his shoulder pin was not inserted all the way so his arm just flopped all over. Now my new prowl's visor is only half painted, but I can fix that.

All of that though does not stop these from being awesome figures. I love how in both modes they are so simple looking, but the Transformations are so creative and involved, plus they look like they walked right out of the TV. The poseability is amazing and Primes axe is one of the coolest weapons ever. Prowl overall is my favourite, I just love his look and how the wheels work.

Overall the line is off to a great start and I can't wait to get more, I just hope the QC gets better.

brr-icy
05-04-2008, 08:53 AM
lockdown is definately worth picking up, the accessories are sweet, and i'm pretty sure the emp generator can go on ratchets arm as well

Bumblebee78
05-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Bought the 4 of them and I am not disappointed! The paint could be a little more accurate in some places but nothing that can't be fixed.

Really looking forward to finding some new ones in stores. The hunt is on!

jourdo
05-04-2008, 11:01 AM
I have to say that so far, this is my favorite series since Alternators.

Deluxe Bumblebee:

BB is kick ass. The transformation is amazing. I am in awe how they got that big of a bot into that small of a car. The only gripe is with the stingers not folding all the way back into the arms like they look like they should. Nothing a little shave can't fix.

Deluxe Prowl:

Prowl is wow! This has been the only retail purchase so far, as I have not seen any of the others yet. First the negatives: For me he suffers from "I can't stand up unless I am in a certain pose"-itis. The traffic light extra seems out of place... why is it there? The ninja stars are hard as hell for me to unclip. Even with these negatives, I would probably put Prowl at or near the top of my list of favs so far. Again, a marvel of toy engineering. The way they crammed a show accurate bot like that into a motorcycle is... well... wow!

Voyager Starscream:

A very good figure here as well. Decent bot, decent alt mode. Mine requires a fair bit of pressure to get the transformation right, but hopefully that is a one off and not a major issue with the toy. The colours are my only gripe with this toy. It looks like Thundercracker fro god's sake! Is it so hard to give Starscream... I don't know... Starscream colours? Other than that... this Thundercracker is a proud part of the Animated collection.

Voyager Bulkhead:

Like everything else, great in both modes. I really like the transformation on this guy as well. The scale of the alt mode is not too bad with the others in the series, but the bot seems well... tiny. I get the whole concept of him being a bulky (heh) figure, but in this scale, the others seem to be too large in comparison. I'm glad there is a leader version coming out down the road. Don't get me wrong though, this is still a great toy. So, good infact, that my son has kidnapped him and proudly displays him on his bookshelf. He also like to try and bash the others with him... I think I need to get an extra Bulkhead.

Voyager Optimus Prime:

To quote from my Prowl comments... WOW! Bot and truck are really good. I'm glad this one has a faceplate. To me Prime is not Prime without it... but that is just my opinion. The automorph gimmick is fun enough, with the twisting legs during its transformation. Only negatives here are that the axe looks odd, and actually takes away from both modes. The water-gun/blaster works on the truck mode, but seems like an add-on accessory to the bot. However, when Op is all un-accessorized... in-croy-able!

That is it so far. Overall, the toy designs deserve major kudos for this line. They have really brought back the robots in disguise gimmick with a vengance. Great alt modes, excellent show accuracy. Animated is shaping up very well so far. Could this be the next golden age?

Ninjatron
05-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Missing paint apps? Compared to the show or compared to what the toy is supposed to have?
Both. For example, Bumblebee is missing the black stripe on his right leg. It's on the animation model, and it's on the photo shown on the toy packaging, but it's not on the final product. It really should be there. Prime is missing a few silver and yellow details too. They are minor but would have added quite a lot to the finished pieces.

Sayonara.

Autovolt 127
05-04-2008, 01:19 PM
I have only two

Deluxe cybertronain Optimus prime and Bumblebee.

Optimus prime has a cool alt-mode,Gimmicks and good amount of Posibility, I like him alot. His Alt.Mode is like a Mitsubushi Feso concept Truck.

Bumblebee is a fun little figure, his transformation back to vechicle mode kinda ticks me off but he is fun. His Alt.Mode looks like a Toyota Yaris.

Can't wait to buy Prowl and Lockdown.

SPLIT LIP
05-04-2008, 01:32 PM
I always thought BB looked like a Yaris with a Civic's front.

Paradigm-Shift Prime
05-04-2008, 01:40 PM
Yeah I love their figs for reasons already stated by others (innovative, intuitive transformations, different style, etc.) but their quality control so far is seeming terrible, worse than the movie figs which was pretty darn bad.

niteowl
05-04-2008, 03:10 PM
i enjoy all of them,
i think all four,
are a fanatastic mix of
having style,
being clever,
being unique,
and applying innovation.
especially when applied to how they transform.
very intelligent designs.

lockdown is definitely worth the purchase.

Spacemonkey
05-04-2008, 03:49 PM
i enjoy all of them,
i think all four,
are a fanatastic mix of
having style,
being clever,
being unique,
and applying innovation.
especially when applied to how they transform.
very intelligent designs.

lockdown is definitely worth the purchase.
I think you resume it very well. I was supposed to pass on that line but since i saw them and i bought Prime and BB, i'm thinking of getting more but not all the line. Prowl and Lockdown are in the target even if i have resisted the first time.

SPLIT LIP
05-04-2008, 04:12 PM
Prowl is amazing. After watching his centric eps and having his toy, I can't put him down!

Robimus
05-04-2008, 09:49 PM
I am very impressed with the Prowl and Bumblebee. They are so show accurate, all the way down to Prowl`s ninja stars and Bumblebee`s stinger. Awesome play value, which as someone else mentioned was missing from the Movie line.

My only complaint is that one joint on Prowls leg is loose making posing him a little difficult. That said I think it will be easy to fix when I get around to it.

I`m not going to collect the whole line but am very impressed with what I`ve seen thus far. Can`t wait for Grimlock, Jazz and Soundwave.

And if anyones interested the lastest Toyfare has picks of a bunch of the newer Animated toys like Jazz and Soundwave.

Robimus
05-04-2008, 10:51 PM

A couple pics- I'm just kinda figuring out how to post pics from my parents computer while mine is in the shop.:p

Pascal
05-04-2008, 11:30 PM
I saw a bunch of Movie Premium figures today at Toycon, paint jobs are pretty bad. I could see fingerprints on Bumblebee, Jazz and Barricade. But problems with Hasbro paint jobs is not something new.

noodle
05-04-2008, 11:36 PM
I had a chance yesterday to fiddle around with niteowl's animated Optimus Prime, Bumblebee and Lockdown [of course when his wasn't looking] and all I have to say is there great figures. Lockdown wa sprobably may favorite in terms of transformation with Prime being a close second. I'm still undecided if I should start collecting the line or just save some cash for the encore series and transformers universe/ classics 2.0...

Team Jetfire
05-05-2008, 11:49 AM
I have opened my optimus and I got to say...looking forward to open the rest.

I love they they look and feel 100% different than the Movie figures, but they still have the quality and engineering that we have come to expect from the transformers name.

Love them.

Pascal
05-05-2008, 03:53 PM
Got my Blitzwing today. It's a really good figure, but it's not all bells and whistles. 2 little problems:

-tank threads don't lock aywhere in tank mode (meaning they're free to split open)
-Jet nose doesn't lock anywhere either in jet mode... it the toy ever gets floppy, it's going to fold down

Other than that, it's a pretty fun triplechanger. I especially like the tank mode, it hides the jet bits really well. My favorite face is the blue-ish one with the monocle now.

Benzo
05-05-2008, 05:17 PM
anyone know when the first wave of animated voyagers are being released in Canada?

brr-icy
05-05-2008, 05:19 PM
hopefully within the next couple weeks

AUTOMATON
05-05-2008, 10:16 PM
So far I have the four Deluxes: my favorite is Optimus(the "multi-configuration" axe is pure love); followed very closely by Lockdown(he's huge and mean for a Deluxe). I love the designs, they're very refreshing while not too kiddish. And the transformations are quite simple, but innovative overall.

Lockdown has a cool look and the deployable shurikens were a nice surprise. Haven't opened my Bumblebee yet!:p

For those it might interest: we have secured a small quantity of Animated Deluxes at Automaton Toys; they're in stock as we speak.:)

SPLIT LIP
05-05-2008, 10:43 PM
hopefully within the next couple weeksHopefully.

I want Starscream so bad. He's my favourite character in Animated and I can't wait for his toy.

Incepticon
05-05-2008, 11:26 PM
I honestly think I have bi-polar disorder when it comes to Animated. I went from completely hating the new design aesthetic to absolutely loving it; so much so that it managed to even trump my excitement for Classics 2.0.

But now I'm somewhere back in the middle. After buying the Wave 1 figures last week, I can't decide whether or not I'll actually be committing to this series. For as much as I love the engineering and the way they translate so well from show to toy, I'm again feeling that they're just *too* kiddy looking. The colors, the shapes, the bot mode body features such as faces... it's (again) feeling more like Transformers For Tots than just Transformers. If that makes sense. Whereas past Transformers have the ability to look, I don't know, respectable (?) in the right surrounding & display setup, Animated just screams "toys for children!" to me... more so than any past TF figures I've ever bought.

And that's not me ragging on the line or anything. It's a GREAT line for what it is. I just don't know if it's a line for me. I tend to like the more quasi believable looking, warrior robot machines side of things in terms of style, design & color, so I guess that's why I'm still caught up in G1 & Classics so much - not overly real & alien like the Movie but not overly toon & childish like Animated.

So yeah, I'm not sure what my final verdict will be. At the very least, I appreciate Animated for what it is, which is more than I can say for my views of any other mainline TF series since G1. There is indeed *something* to this line... I just don't know yet if it's enough for me to commit to investing in by collecting. Guess I should decide soon since the product insanity has just started :)

protoform_ironhide
05-06-2008, 12:31 AM
anyone know when the first wave of animated voyagers are being released in Canada?
They are already out in Canada!

I love these figures! I got bumblebee and optimus prime, they are awesome! Also just got starscream, and it is a cool voyager figure! I got to say you have to buy them all!

noodle
05-06-2008, 03:17 AM
They are already out in Canada!

I love these figures! I got bumblebee and optimus prime, they are awesome! Also just got starscream, and it is a cool voyager figure! I got to say you have to buy them all!

Voyager Animated Figures? such as Starscream, Megatron and Bulkhead...

Wodicus
05-06-2008, 10:26 AM
So far I only have Optimus Prime, Prowl and Lockdown, I seem to keep missing the restocks and thus I keep missing Bumblebee. However, from what I've seen so far I love this line, originally i wasn't going to collect much, only a few choice figures, but now I can't wait for the next batch to arrive.

I am really impressed with this line so far, the way each figure transformers is very cool and I think it is very impressive just how Hasbro has been able to maintain both a show accurate ALt and bot mode. Very impressive indeed. Then on top of all of that the toys are also very possable, all very very nice work.

protoform_ironhide
05-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Voyager Animated Figures? such as Starscream, Megatron and Bulkhead...
Yes sir! No kidding, go check out the stores. We have it in BC!

Team Jetfire
05-06-2008, 11:58 AM
I had a chance to open Lockdown last night and though I would share some impressions.

The Good:
- Big...really big for a deluxe. As imposing of a bot as he was in the cartoon.
- Great Vehicle mode
- Solid transformation with a good amount of articulation.
- Liked the hook accessory with the 'up-grade' of the blaster.
-Vehicle mode is potentially one of the coolest car modes that we have seen so far.

The Bad:
- The hands. I can see why people have broken them. Listen to the warnings people; I didn't break mine, but only because people have mentioned them as an issue.

But now I'm somewhere back in the middle. After buying the Wave 1 figures last week, I can't decide whether or not I'll actually be committing to this series. For as much as I love the engineering and the way they translate so well from show to toy, I'm again feeling that they're just *too* kiddy looking. The colors, the shapes, the bot mode body features such as faces... it's (again) feeling more like Transformers For Tots than just Transformers. If that makes sense. Whereas past Transformers have the ability to look, I don't know, respectable (?) in the right surrounding & display setup, Animated just screams "toys for children!" to me... more so than any past TF figures I've ever bought.

I agree that the style is very kid friendly, but that is where it stops for me. The engineering is top notch on these figures and that, with the stylized look, is why I am loving this line so much, but I also loved GI Joe Sigma 6, so that may say something about my personal taste. I also never liked the look and feel of the Fast Action Battlers because they felt very 'kiddy'.

noodle
05-06-2008, 01:13 PM
Yes sir! No kidding, go check out the stores. We have it in BC!
did you find them @ TRU or Walmart? or @ a local 'mom and pop' hobby store?

SPLIT LIP
05-06-2008, 05:47 PM
Yes sir! No kidding, go check out the stores. We have it in BC!Holy shit! I'm hoping they're here by Friday!

protoform_ironhide
05-06-2008, 07:07 PM
did you find them @ TRU or Walmart? or @ a local 'mom and pop' hobby store?
What do you mean by mom and pop store? haha!! I didn't find them from TRU! But a retail store!

Holy shit! I'm hoping they're here by Friday!
They are already HERE, don't have to wait til Friday!

brr-icy
05-06-2008, 07:27 PM
was it a chain or privately owned store?

Team Jetfire
05-06-2008, 07:47 PM
What do you mean by mom and pop store? haha!! I didn't find them from TRU! But a retail store!

They are already HERE, don't have to wait til Friday!

:rolleyes:
Why are you being so secretive?

protoform_ironhide
05-06-2008, 07:54 PM
:rolleyes:
Why are you being so secretive?

No, i am not keeping it secret! I have already post at the BC sighting forum, they have it at retail stores!

brr-icy
05-06-2008, 08:00 PM
evertoys or toy planet, no walmart/tru/zellers in crystal mall

noodle
05-06-2008, 08:12 PM
evertoys or toy planet, no walmart/tru/zellers in crystal mall

I keep on getting confused between the two... Is toy planet the store by the escalators with all the gundam model kits [well at least more than evertoys :p]? And toy planet is nearer to the food court... right? right?

brr-icy
05-06-2008, 08:19 PM
i have no idea lol, i looked it up

Prime Sinister
05-07-2008, 12:33 AM
I can't decide whether or not I'll actually be committing to this series. For as much as I love the engineering and the way they translate so well from show to toy, I'm again feeling that they're just *too* kiddy looking. The colors, the shapes, the bot mode body features such as faces... it's (again) feeling more like Transformers For Tots than just Transformers. :)

I too have not opened my Prowl and Bumblebee for this reason. Prowl looks great (the only biker bot without wheels thrown over his shoulder), but I can't get past the "Jay Leno" face. If I do decide to collect this series I can spend $400 easily on what I've seen so far. I guess I'll keep the figures MOC/MIB for now.

Whisky Tango Foxtrot
05-07-2008, 01:43 AM
I've got Prowl and Deluxe Prime and they're both awesome. Other than the fact that his backpack lacks jets Prowl looks pretty much exactly like his TV incarnation in both modes and he's extremely well-articulated. He's a bit difficult to pose, though, both due to some balance issues and the fact that with a character like Prowl you really need to put him into a pose that makes him look like he's about to flip out and kill someone without even thinking twice about it, which takes a bit of work.

Prime is also awesome, although I don't like his vehicle mode all that much (doesn't really look like anything in particular other than being vaguely truck-shaped, and it's tough to get all the pieces to line up right.) Neither mode is really show-accurate, but I hold that more against the show than the figure since the figure looks substantially better than the show model. I especially like the shoulder-wheels which act as a bit of a War Within Prime Homage to go with the general Orion Pax-ness of the rest of the toy. He's not as articulated as Prowl but he's easier to pose due to his big feet and the fact that you can put him into simpler poses and still have him look right. Right now I just have him with his axe slung over his right shoulder and his left hand on his hip, and he looks pretty cool.

I'm definitely going to get more of this line. The toys are as well-engineered as any other Transformers I've seen and they're absolutely dripping with personality.

SPLIT LIP
05-07-2008, 11:05 AM
They are already HERE, don't have to wait til Friday!:rolleyes: Smarty-pants, I meant here as in ONTARIO.

SPLIT LIP
05-07-2008, 11:09 AM
but I can't get past the "Jay Leno" face.Ugh, not one of you.

Look at Jay Leno. He has a fat chin, not a long, slim almost-pointy one.

Besides, IMO, the chins are awesome as they add a lot of character when you move them. Like when you tilt Prowl's head it looks like he's going "WTF?". This is helped by the fact that he has one eyopen farther than the other and his mouth is closed with a very perplexed look.

SPLIT LIP
05-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Sorry to triple post, but this board doesn't allow you to copy text and the "multi-quote" button has stopped working.

Prime is also awesome, although I don't like his vehicle mode all that much (doesn't really look like anything in particular other than being vaguely truck-shaped, and it's tough to get all the pieces to line up right.) Neither mode is really show-accurate,Actually, if you looked at the show truck mode you'd see the truck is practically spot-on. And his vehicle mode is supposed to be "vaguely truck like" he's from another planet, why would he look like an earth truck?He's not as articulated as Prowl but he's easier to pose due to his big feet and the fact that you can put him into simpler poses and still have him look right.I personally find him way more articulated than Prowl. He has knees that bend 90 degrees, unlike Prowl. (without modification, you can get Prowls legs to bend 90 degrees easily with no cutting) and he has double-jointed elbows.

I'm definitely going to get more of this line. The toys are as well-engineered as any other Transformers I've seen and they're absolutely dripping with personality.Bolded for truth.

Team Jetfire
05-07-2008, 02:44 PM
So continuing with my daily opening of the new animated toys I opened Bumblebee Yesterday.

Thoughts:
Good:
- Car mode looks good, true to show.
- Transformation is great and everything feels solid in Robot Mode.
- Love the stingers and Rockets jets.

Bad:
- Missing paint apps on the headlights.
- Feet are bordering on being too bulky and clumbsy.
- Shoulder articulation is limited due to bulk.

I want to love this figure....I really do. I am just not there yet. Maybe a few more transformations will do it for me, so for now I give it a 7/10.

jacobot
05-07-2008, 06:30 PM
For being geared to the yougest generation... They pop apart way too easily in little hands:(
They just can't take the abuse of the Cybertron, Energon and Armada lines.
Love the look and style:)

SPLIT LIP
05-07-2008, 08:04 PM
For being geared to the yougest generation... Who said it was geared to the youngest generation? Animated is geared towards the same group as A/E/C.

Also, I'm not sure what abuse you're talking about, but all my TF:A figs are more sturdy than half my Cybretron figs. Excellion's arms are just about to break off, yet Cybertron Prime has survived 3, 4 foot drops and even an express trip down the stairs without so much as a scratch. the only poppping apart I've experienced is with Lockdown's legs, but still, it's nothing compared to CD Scattorshot's arms.

brr-icy
05-07-2008, 08:46 PM
so far the movie figs are the ones i have the most problems will falling apart (longarm's arm for example) there isn't any force required for them to fall apart, animated takes some force at least lol, they're geared towards collectors as well, probably 50% sales go to collectors imo,

-KG-
05-08-2008, 10:18 AM
so far the movie figs are the ones i have the most problems will falling apart (longarm's arm for example) there isn't any force required for them to fall apart, animated takes some force at least lol, they're geared towards collectors as well, probably 50% sales go to collectors imo,

No way any mass retail line sells 50% to collectors, especially one like Animated. Maybe 10%, 20% tops.

SPLIT LIP
05-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Hasbro has stated time and again that roughly 10% of their profit and sales are collectors.

brr-icy
05-08-2008, 04:42 PM
ok fine, lol.

tilallr1
05-09-2008, 08:43 AM
Dammit. Just bought the first 4 and now I am addicted to more plastic crack. Got to get them all now and I haven't even been watching the show. But saw a few episodes and loved them. Will wait for it on DVD to do a fest. Are they going to release them in 3 episode sets? Or season sets? Anyone know?

Team Jetfire
05-09-2008, 01:20 PM
So I finally had the chance to open the last of the four figures: Prowl.

I have never really liked the character of Prowl. Mostly because as a child my brother got the toy and from that day on, Prowl was his character. (I got Wheeljack, so he wad mine) Consequently this is also why I prefer Dirge or Ramjet and SnapeDragon over Apeface, but I digress, I can still appreciate Prowl as a character.

The Good:
-Amazing transformation. Kudos to the engineers on this one. Best bike-to-bot that I have ever seen.
- Great likeness to the cartoon...face is spot on.
- Great possibility.
The Bad:
- Joints are a little loose.
- Street light?

Pascal
05-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Dammit. Just bought the first 4 and now I am addicted to more plastic crack. Got to get them all now and I haven't even been watching the show. But saw a few episodes and loved them. Will wait for it on DVD to do a fest. Are they going to release them in 3 episode sets? Or season sets? Anyone know?

Movie on 1 DVD, rest of Season 1 in a boxset.

Benzo
05-09-2008, 04:45 PM

the pilot episode is being released on DVD in June. the rest of season 1 will be out in Aug.

Batman
05-11-2008, 04:55 PM
What DVD does the 2 pack come with? Just the first episode?

dak
05-11-2008, 05:34 PM
What DVD does the 2 pack come with? Just the first episode?

yes. Plus an extended intro and preview images of the toys.

Bountyan
05-11-2008, 07:08 PM
Got all 4 wave 1 deluxes. I'm planning on getting just Starscream from the wave 1 voyagers, since I will be getting the leader class molds of Bulkhead and Megatron. It will be pretty tempting to buy the voyager versions if I see them. >_>

Anyways, the ones I got so far are pretty much perfect. Much better than the early movie figures. The only problems they have are very minor. Lockdown's hands aren't positioned properly, as most of us know, and Bumblebee has the same issue with his stingers. An exacto knife or some sand paper will easily fix the problem.

As for Prowl, he is hard to balance, at least on my figure. I can't even put him in his neutral position without him falling over. >_> Anyone else having this problem?

Batman
05-11-2008, 08:48 PM
yes. Plus an extended intro and preview images of the toys.

Cool thanks man:)

tilallr1
05-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Movie on 1 DVD, rest of Season 1 in a boxset.

Thanks, now can't wait for August. Just picked up the 3 new Voyager releases. STARSCREAM is Awesome. Opened him up first and am playing with him now.

Nocturn
05-11-2008, 09:58 PM
Got Prowl, Lockdown and BB.

And Wow.

Awesome.

(and knocking 3 of my list of 13 doesn't hurt either!)

Prowl is by far the favorite though.

brr-icy
05-11-2008, 10:01 PM
c'mon friday lol, hopefully tru london will have the voyagers then

Tech Spec
05-12-2008, 12:03 AM
Lockdown is my favorite by far. BB and Prowl are cool too, Prowls legs are really loose though.

ohnaji
05-12-2008, 04:15 AM
Got voyager Starscream yesterday and haven't been able to stop fiddling with this figure since I opened it up. This is one amazing toy. It's got great articulation in robot mode, and I've got no complaints regarding the sculpt. I'm even a fan of the slightly goofy alt. mode. Gimmicks are generally well done in both modes and the automorph features don't detract from a well thought out transformation sequence.
Some contentious points are some joints tends to slide when posing and SS's back wings don't lock into anything when transformed. The latter issue isn't a huge deal since the hinges on mine are pretty stiff and it's also attached to springs due to the automorph. What's important is that the panel doesn't flop around when the figure is being handled. The other issue regarding the joints are also not that great right now, but perhaps with repeated transformation those joints can possibly become extremely loose, especially the swivel joints on the upper thighs. The paint application on mine is well done with the exception of face. The paint actually is stripped on the left side in small areas. It could be just mine, or it could be problematic of the entire run.
It's obvious that certain design cues were lifted from the YF-19 from Macross. I'm a huge Kawamori fan, and these homages don't make this figure seem cheap at all. In fact SS has probably one of the best modified GERWALK modes I've seen from any similar figure. It's even better than Toynami's veritech efforts.
Great voyager class figure. Really looking forward to when Optimus is released.

niteowl
05-12-2008, 07:41 PM
gerwalker cybertron prime,
i used to do this with original prime,
but he kept falling over.

noodle
05-12-2008, 08:07 PM
...lol?... o_o;

C_Shewins
05-12-2008, 10:55 PM
Got all 4 deluxe after a long hunt. Anyways...I think the movie ones are way better than anime ones........ I guess I am just not use to the new BB version transformers, haha~~

Tech Spec
05-12-2008, 11:06 PM

I love doing that to my TF's :p

kakit
05-13-2008, 06:21 AM
Within the last week up till now, I've picked up 3/4 Deluxes. While Lockdown may have had some issues with the hands, its still a pretty darn good figure imo. Its been awhile since I've enjoyed figures like the Animated ones since BW. The Classics were nice but I enjoy matching actual personalities from TV to them. I'm really amazed with the quality of the figures actually, very show accurate and in most cases in scale. Bring on the Voyagers! I'll buy Screamer as soon as I see him. As for Megs, Bulkhead and Deluxe Cybertron Prime, I've opted to skip on those. I'll wait for Leader Bulkhead and not really interested in Cybertron modes. I'm actually hesitant to pick up a Voyager Prime when it gets released due to the axe given with it.

SHCKWAVE
05-13-2008, 10:53 AM
I have all the deluxes and was lucky enough to find the voyagers early(bought Cybertron Meg and Starscream)and I think they are very well done.If I had to complain I'll only say that "Lockdown" is a little too tall for me,but that's it.I think my fave so far is Starscream though.He's very well articulated and has a great sculpt.

Blurrz
05-13-2008, 06:12 PM
Once Animated Blurr comes out i'll be really happy. Hopefully Arcee gets a fig too.

Dropkick
05-13-2008, 07:08 PM
I have to agree to some of your observations here, quality control is a big problem for Animated figures. A lot of them are really painted badly, it is really hard to find a nicely painted one.

montague78
05-13-2008, 07:24 PM
I have to agree to some of your observations here, quality control is a big problem for Animated figures. A lot of them are really painted badly, it is really hard to find a nicely painted one.

Agreed! not only the paint but some of the parts are horrible too!! ie my buddy returned Lockdown cause he was missing a spike on one of the wheels. My SS was missing his right thumb. Prime's arm joints were very loose. My other buddy was missing Megs instructions all together. And my Megs right leg easily falls off when transforming!! QC = CRAP!!

But other than that im really happy with my purchases. This line just has alot more character and each one lookes very different from eachother. I'd have to say im alot more contempt in the TFA series than the movie ones. Basically i don't feel as bad going broke for my TFA's hahaha!!

ohnaji
05-13-2008, 08:11 PM
I read somewhere Hasbro was using a new paint process for the animated figures. That could be the reason why this toyline has new so many paint issues. I'm still very pleased overall with the toys so far. They're extremely engaging and fun. However, with all these factory defects, scuffed paint jobs. and minor engineering miscues, I'm more than just a little apprehensive with these purchases. Keep those receipts.

SPLIT LIP
05-13-2008, 08:54 PM

Hey, I found that too when I was doing my mid-transform Prime pics.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/SPLIT_LIPZ7Z/017-4.jpg

Sucks we don't have a Cybertron.ca cool stuff thread.

Batman
05-14-2008, 07:52 PM

Couldn't we just start one? I'd do it, but I'm too lazy to take a cool picture to start it off.

Tech Spec
05-14-2008, 10:38 PM
I wish the cards for TFA deluxes had the characters profile in the back instead of that generic picture of whats available in the wave.

GMfan
05-14-2008, 10:52 PM

We'd have one but there would be a "no half assed transformation pics" rule :P

Tech Spec
05-14-2008, 10:54 PM

LOL not down with the gerwalker modes?

GMfan
05-14-2008, 11:09 PM
I am when its Macross or Gundams since they're piloted but when its Transformers I'd imagine them actually scream "I NEED MAINTENANCE!" ala C-3PO if that ever happened.

noodle
05-15-2008, 12:54 AM

so I guess pics of Generation One toys aren't allowed then... :p

GMfan
05-15-2008, 01:30 AM
I think of it this way, G1 toys were the building "blocks" for the great characters we have been lucky enough to get updated versions of today.

noodle
05-15-2008, 01:47 AM
I think of it this way, G1 toys were the building "blocks" for the great characters we have been lucky enough to get updated versions of today.

I totally agree with you, obviously without the Generation One toys such as Megatron and Optimus Prime we wouldn't have the fundamental transformation scheme for their Masterpiece counterparts today. My previous reply was just a bad Winnipegger joke... :o

jjwankenobi
05-16-2008, 04:06 PM
In anticipation for the DVD 2-pack I've set my sights on, and from the loose in-store samples I've tinkered with I'm finally excited about TF toys again.

The animated line and show has really appealed to my taste in the exact same way the Clone Wars micro series got me excited about Star Wars once more.

The only things on the movie line that really caught my eye were the G1-themed repaints (and the ever-elusive gold Lawson Bumblebee). So to see how heavily the Animated show and toy line are G1 inspired pleases the fan and the collector in me.

Nocturn
05-16-2008, 05:06 PM
Voyager Bulkhead and Cybertronian Deluxe prime are both also very nice.

brr-icy
05-16-2008, 10:00 PM
just picked up the voyagers, all awesome, good paint apps, not loose at all, love the updated starscream

Optimus_Prime
05-16-2008, 10:18 PM
just picked up the voyagers, all awesome, good paint apps, not loose at all, love the updated starscream
Same here, overall.

Nocturn
05-16-2008, 11:23 PM
Here's a quick question... Voyager Megs or Leader megs?

brr-icy
05-17-2008, 12:24 AM
voyager megs to display with deluxe prime, and leader megs with voyager prime. i think i'm going to like the leader version better because of his swords, but the voyager is nice too, i just did what peaugh said in his review to make his arm upside down, and it looks like the cannon should

Team Jetfire
05-17-2008, 01:17 AM
Still waiting for the voyagers to hit Calgary retail...

I wonder why they would hit Edmonton a week before us...

Nevermind...jsut saw the sighting...le sigh.

Team Jetfire
05-20-2008, 01:11 PM
So I picked up the first wave of the animated Voyagers and have opened 2, BulkHead and Starscream.

Thoughts:

Bulkhead:
Is very close to my favorite transformer...ever.
Pros:
- Great Transformation, lots of crazy angles and neat little twists that work really well.
- The think just oozes personality from the show. The head looks great, the arms and legs are perfect and the overall feeling Bulkhead is there...
-wrecking ball is a great addition.
Cons:
-The back of mine (overhead flaps) seems to either be jammed or not working properly as the little black tabs on the back do not push the back flaps out, but I just removed the flaps from the black tabs and all was good. Not sure if this is standard, but it works for me.
- Some glaring paint errors on the back of the truck. Looked like big glop of grey paint, but I think it is left over from the molded plastic.

Starscream:
I like Starsceam, but I am not a Starscream fanatic. This figure works great as an animated, but the jet mode is just alright...for me anyways.

Pros:
- Transformation is satisfying. Simple, but gets the gob done.
- Robot mode is cool and show accurate.
Cons:
-Jet mode suffers from a bad case of The-robot-mode-is-plainly-visible-as-the-fuselage-a-titus.
- The jet mode seems really...wide.

Overall an easy pass for both as I still love this series.

Pascal
05-20-2008, 02:34 PM
DELUXE CYBERTRON MODE PRIME

Pros : excellent in both modes, multi-mode weapon, excellent poseability

Cons : none

DELUXE EARTH MODE OPTIMUS PRIME

Pros : nice in both modes, excellent poseability

Cons : weapon is too big and looks goofy in truck mode, battle damage deco, spring-loaded waist gimmick, siren lights are both blue

DELUXE CYBERTRON MODE MEGATRON

Pros : fusion cannon, poseability, blade weapon

Cons : questionnable alt mode, spring-loaded waist gimmick

DELUXE BUMBLEBEE

Pros : excellent in both modes, great transformation, stinger

Cons : big feet, painted red siren light (clear would look cooler)

DELUXE RATCHET

Pros : vast array of accessories/weapons, fun transformation, poseability, compatible with Lockdown's weapon

Cons : head doesn't always want to stay in or pop out

DELUXE BLACKARACHNIA

Pros : nice looking in both modes, weapon

Cons : very light, feels cheap

DELUXE LOCKDOWN

Pros : cool car mode, nice transformation, very tall

Cons : hands, legs feel so-so

DELUXE PROWL

Pros : excellent in both modes, very clever transformation, spinning blades, crazy poseability, clear siren lights

Cons : traffic light

VOYAGER EARTH MODE OPTIMUS PRIME

Pros : very nice in both mode, excellent transformation, gravity spin gimmick, axe and gun, moveable mouthplate, poseability, very G1-esque

Cons : siren lights are both blue

VOYAGER CYBERTRON MODE MEGATRON

Pros : very poseable, nice robot mode

Cons : fusion cannon sits at a weird angle, questionnable alt mode

VOYAGER BULKHEAD

Pros : great transformation, excellent in both modes, nicely poseable, automorph gimmick

Cons : arm gimmicks don't work too well

VOYAGER LUGNUT

Pros : great transformation, excellent in both modes, nicely poseable, mace weapon, automorph gimmick

Cons : head can't turn

VOYAGER GRIMLOCK

Pros : great in both modes, sword with deployable flames, size, snapping jaw gimmick, very G1-esque

Cons : visible head in dino mode

VOYAGER BLITZWING

Pros : great robot and tank mode, 3 modes, very poseable, turret can turn, firing missiles, spinning faces

Cons : so-so jet mode, tank threads don't lock anywhere in tank mode

VOYAGER STARSCREAM

Pros : excellent robot mode, automorph gimmick, firing missiles

Cons : undercarriage in jet mode

Team Jetfire
05-21-2008, 06:28 PM
Opened Voyager Megatron, Cybertron last night and I am a little disappointed. The pictures looked great, but this may be a case of, looks better on screen than in hand.

My main issue with the figure is the alt mode. WTF is it even supposed to be. Sure there are something’s that could be used for wings and there are some molded circles that look like turbines, but other than that it just looks like mishmash of parts. There is even some question as to which way is forward as there are things on either end that could resemble a cockpit. I for one prefer the one with the sword blades pointing forward, the way that it was boxed, but depending how you look at it, it may have meant to be the other way around.

The robot mode somewhat saves this figure in my eyes though. The transformation is unique and, like Bulkhead, really gives the figure an animated vibe. The arm cannon is a little cumbersome and doesn't look quite right.

Overall this is how the current characters that I have, stack up against each other from Fav to least fav.

Bulkhead
Lockdown
Bumblebee
Optimus
Prowl
Megatron.

All things considered though, they all rank higher than Energon figures....

Ozrein
05-21-2008, 07:20 PM
I'm really liking these Animated figures. Although I have modified Meg's arm cannon a little so it can sit a bit more on top of his arm.

Lockdown is my fav so far with Prowl and Megatron following. (those are the only 3 I have at the moment)

hugh_da_man
05-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Is voyager bulkhead worth getting?

I was going to collect one of each character (ie. leader bulkhead over the voyager) but now I'm undecided. The upgrade to leader class seems to be almost a completely different character because of all the changes whereas the voyager seems more true to the actual cartoon character. Which would make both classes worth owning imo...I hate you Hasbro!

slippy
05-21-2008, 07:47 PM
Well, they might change the characters in the show, so that later on the Leader version could be more show accurate.

brr-icy
05-21-2008, 07:48 PM
Is voyager bulkhead worth getting?

I was going to collect one of each character (ie. leader bulkhead over the voyager) but now I'm undecided. The upgrade to leader class seems to be almost a completely different character because of all the changes whereas the voyager seems more true to the actual cartoon character. Which would make both classes worth owning imo...I hate you Hasbro!
i think they're both worth owning, for the reasons you mentioned and that the voyager has his wrecking ball as well

Pascal
05-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Bulkhead is in my top 3 with Lugnut and Bumblebee.

hugh_da_man
05-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Well, they might change the characters in the show, so that later on the Leader version could be more show accurate.

i think they're both worth owning, for the reasons you mentioned and that the voyager has his wrecking ball as well

Bulkhead is in my top 3 with Lugnut and Bumblebee.

Thank you...he will be bought the next time I see him.

Team Jetfire
05-21-2008, 10:09 PM
Yeah I agree with the rest. The only thing that the voyager Bulkhead has not going for it is the size, everything else is awesome.

Nocturn
05-22-2008, 10:21 PM
Yeah I agree with the rest. The only thing that the voyager Bulkhead has not going for it is the size, everything else is awesome.

This is pure truth, he is constantly in my hands.

Nightshade83
06-19-2008, 11:52 AM
I've got Bumblebee and Blackarachnia so far, with BA being my favourite. It would be nice, though, if they could release one, just one female transformer who DIDN'T have high heels! Not only are high heels the most impractical footwear to wear in a fight, but it makes them really difficult to pose. I have to lean BA up against Bee to keep her from falling over.

I'm waiting to get Prowl with his Samurai side car :)

Team Jetfire
06-19-2008, 12:02 PM
Good point on the heels.

It is the year 2008! Liberate the Fem-bots from the heels!

Haggis
06-19-2008, 12:04 PM
I actually love them! i'm more them likey getting the hole line, save for the voy bulkhead (getting leader instead) teh prime/meg two pack and supreme prime (i like the voy better)

righ tnow i have, Blackarachina, Cybertron mode megs, lockdown, starscream, Bumble, rachet, prowl, cybertron prime. plus i have the new wave on preorde at BBTS

Pascal
06-19-2008, 12:16 PM
It in the year 2008! Liberate the Fem-bots from the heels!

And their bras.

Benzo
06-19-2008, 05:56 PM
Good point on the heels.

bigger boobs!!!

Nightshade83
06-19-2008, 06:40 PM
And their bras.

Realistically, what purpose would breasts even serve on a robotic lifeform ...

This is so not the reaction I was going for -_-

Nocturn
06-19-2008, 10:51 PM
bigger boobs!!!

Pamelatron is rolling out...

I love all the animated toys I have, which are all curently released, save for voyager prime and the leaders. Ratchet, Prowl, Starscream And Voy. Bulkhead are my four-way tie for favorite.

astrana
06-20-2008, 12:45 AM
I have all the animated(released in Canada) except Voyage prime. To be honest, I did not really like Ratchet, Voyage bulkhead is my favorite. others are all tie i guess

jourdo
06-20-2008, 01:11 AM

And their bras.

Damn... beaten to the punch. I was going to say burn their bras.

bigger boobs!!!

I love when a derailment goes full force!

Bountyan
06-21-2008, 11:55 PM
I like all the animated figures released in Canada so far (with the exception of leaders and voyager Bulkhead) and I like all of them except voyager Megatron. That cannon pretty much ruins the whole robot mode IMO, necause it doesn't stay on well, and it looks very misplaced, awkward, and huge, unless you modify it to make it look like the way it does on the instructions/back of the box.

On the plus side, my favorite is Earth Prime. That figure is pretty much perfect in my book, if you don't care about that huge axe. It's so heavy that when I put it in his hand, his whole arm moves around uncontrollably as if it were loose.

ohnaji
06-22-2008, 04:07 AM
This week I picked up Animated Voyager Prime, and both Animated Leader figures. I'm really impressed with all three of them.
Prime just looks amazing. The articulation is top notch, although an unencumbered swivel joint above the knee would've allowed for better more dynamic poses like on Animated Voyager SS. The weapon is a bit too abstract for my tastes, but it's huge and when mounted on the back makes it look like a funky jet pack.
Bulkhead has probably the most well thought out transformation sequence of any leader figure since movie leader Brawl. It has a great sculpt to boot, along with great articulation. I can't get the expression gimmick to work properly. I'm not sure if it's because of a weak spring or stiff pin joints. Regardless, it's a great toy that's actually in scale with other figures.
Megatron is sculpted really well in its Leader incarnation and has really good articulation. It's knobby knees are somewhat unsettling, but it's a minor gripe. Pascal has mentioned the transformation is really simple, and I have to agree. Voyager SS also has a simple transformation, but it's a lot more eloquent and satisfying. As a bonus, Megs' sword can also be used with Voyager and DLX Prime, that's a badass feature and it looks fantastic.
So far, this toyline has exceeded my expectations. It's a bit of a shame that these characters don't look as cool on the actual show.

CobraCommander
06-22-2008, 09:31 AM
Realistically, what purpose would breasts even serve on a robotic lifeform ...

This is so not the reaction I was going for -_-

The same could be said about a head, mouth, nose and eyes on a robotic lifeform. It's all aesthetic, trying to appeal/correlate with human psyche of what a man or woman should look like.

-KG-
06-22-2008, 10:53 AM
The same could be said about a head, mouth, nose and eyes on a robotic lifeform. It's all aesthetic, trying to appeal/correlate with human psyche of what a man or woman should look like.

This is the reasoning behind the design of the movie robot modes.

SPLIT LIP
06-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Now taht I have some more, I just wanna add to the list.

Bulkhead Voyager: My favourite toy next to Sky-byte. Flawless fig.

Starscream: Pretty damn close up there with Bulkhead. Very nice, posable. Another winner.

Ratchet: Amazing. Looks like he stepped right out of the show.

Blackarachnia: Good. My least favourite Animated Deluxe, but that's saying very little as I think they're all fantastic.

Voyager Megs: Forgettable. It's not his fault. He's good, but compared to everyone else...

Leader Megatron: Best. Megatron. Toy. Ever. He is the perfect example of Animated perfection. Vehicle mode is huge and badass to the point of ridiculousness. His robot mode is fun, playable, posable and gimmicky, but not too much to intrude on any other aspects. 99.9% show-accurate robot and vehicle modes, 100% accurate and fun transformation. Spinning geared rotor are so much fun and the connection between the wings and arms in genius. Mouth and expressions are awesome but not so apparent as to comprimse the face sculpt. I actually like the sounds and the transformation noise is a mega-plus. Swords, FTW. I even like the cannon firing gimmick with the pull back hammer-type-deal.

Also, posted this on TFW, but I'll post these here to puncuate my sentence explaining his awesomeness. But since there's a minimum of 15 images per post here, I'll just provide a link (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showpost.php?p=2174272&postcount=3297).