PDA

View Full Version : Tampered Transformers

onecoin
04-17-2008, 04:59 AM
From Manitoba and Saskatchewan Sightings:

Not really a sighting. I was in TRU Polo the other day and some guy and his kid were talking to an employee, not pissed but obviously unhappy. After making a huge mess in the TF aisle, he was apparently complaining that he could not buy his boy a transformer because it appears that someone had opened every single one (an entire 16 foot section of TF's) and retaped the packages on every single one. The employee had no idea what to say. It was hilarious. After getting no real response from the employee the man just grabbed the kid by the arm and "stormed" out. I want to step in, but this man could have unleashed his fury on me, and blamed me for opening every single transformer and taping up the sides on all the blisters. And he would have been right, I'm tired and out of scotch tape.

Edit: The aisle looked as bad as it does during Christmas.

CobraCommander
04-17-2008, 05:49 AM
That's odd, I could see a person opening them, but taping them afterwards :confused:

Also as a parent I don't see why they would care too much about the packaging unless they were planning to keep and collect it MISB. Either way I would at the minimum ask for a discount :D

Tech Spec
04-17-2008, 06:02 AM
I wonder if the father was looking at the carded TF's? They are taped now aren't they? with only the top part of the bubble being glued.

onecoin
04-17-2008, 06:34 AM
Yes they are. Yes they are.

familyman
04-17-2008, 08:41 AM
sounds to me like the guy didn't know about how the toys are packaged.
I think what he was talking about was the tape on the blister cards

-KG-
04-17-2008, 10:25 AM
What would be the purpose of opening and re-taping every one?

Barpharanges
04-17-2008, 10:29 AM
What a numpty.
I do pity Onecoin (you must travel alot! :D ) or whoever originally tapes the blisters. The lack of neatness in the tape application leads me to believe its a human job rather than a machine. I've taped boxes for summer jobs before, and its a loud, crappy existence.

pud333
04-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Yeah, If I were buying a TF for a kid who was just gonna open it, I wouldn't care if the package was opened so long as everything was okay with it.

I do,however, love when customers freak out. When I used to work in retail, I actually looked forward to it. Breaks up the monotony of the day. :D

blitz
04-18-2008, 01:07 AM
Don't some Takara TFs come double taped on the boxes?

Protoman
04-18-2008, 02:37 AM
Don't some Takara TFs come double taped on the boxes?

It's a common practice with a lot of Japanese toys, specially carded ones. The bubble is not glued to the card but has the bubble wrap around the edges and then taped. I like this method cause you can remove the figure and have a nice flat, clean undamaged cardback for storage. Cybertron was the first TF series here in North America to start that with some carded stuff and became a stable with all carded TF: The movie 2007 toys.

niteowl
04-18-2008, 07:37 PM
Retaped Takara product
(masterpieces, book re-issues, non-blister)
is the result of
the removal of expired promotional material
from warehoused stock,
or solicited second runs.

jacobot
04-18-2008, 08:26 PM
I've seen many a family upset they couldn't find a Bumblebee in the TF section. Poor supply really of the main character :(
Since they just hang them randomly on the pegs instead of in groups of like figures you really have to search. The mess is the store's own fault :p
Oh ya tape, the taping job does seem to be getting worse :rolleyes:

JLvatron
04-18-2008, 09:18 PM
From Manitoba and Saskatchewan Sightings:

Not really a sighting. I was in TRU Polo the other day and some guy and his kid were talking to an employee, not pissed but obviously unhappy. After making a huge mess in the TF aisle, he was apparently complaining that he could not buy his boy a transformer because it appears that someone had opened every single one (an entire 16 foot section of TF's) and retaped the packages on every single one. The employee had no idea what to say. It was hilarious. After getting no real response from the employee the man just grabbed the kid by the arm and "stormed" out. I want to step in, but this man could have unleashed his fury on me, and blamed me for opening every single transformer and taping up the sides on all the blisters. And he would have been right, I'm tired and out of scotch tape.

Edit: The aisle looked as bad as it does during Christmas.

Next time BEG anyone around for a camera cellphone and put it on U-tube.:cool:

That sounds absolutely TeeHee-ous!!! :)

JLvatron
04-18-2008, 09:23 PM
After getting no real response from the employee the man just grabbed the kid by the arm and "stormed" out. I want to step in,

You could have done your best Adam West Batman impersonation and said,

"So, ...it appears my arch-rival, the Mad-Taper, is at it again! Quick, loony-father! To the Batmobile!"

Robimus
04-19-2008, 12:58 AM
I think dad just was making exuses, scared to tell Jr. he couldn't have a toy!:p

onecoin
04-19-2008, 04:02 AM
So we were all victims in his little charade? I feel used. I feel so dirty.

GMfan
04-19-2008, 11:55 AM
At least this isn't as bad as people who return transformers with the wrong toy in the box...although I've seen some harder to find figures repacked into easy to find boxes, like Energon dinobot Swoop repacked in a 10th anniversary Waspinator box, Energon dinobot Grimlock repacked into a 10th anniversary Rhinox box, and Energon Wing Saber in an Cybertron Metroplex box. Damned if I didn't have those figures before I could have asked the managers for a good discount...