PDA

View Full Version : MP value over time?

supafly
04-23-2015, 04:14 PM
I just started my MP collection last month and I'm kind of trying to justify spending so much other than being in a happy happy mood every time I'm in my man cave.

Anywho, does anyone know of a reference guide of original prices when each MP first came out? Or does anyone haveva general idea of how the values have held up, increased, or decreased over time? Seeing as the franchise is decades old, has there ever been a slump where the toys lost value?

elburrito
04-23-2015, 04:23 PM
I've been on the MPs since the beginning. The prices do seem to fluctuate a bit but generally to increase. That is subject to future releases. For example, Hasbro MP 10 was up around $300 for a while, but the Takara re-issue for MP10 sort of undermined that. Although, now it is getting up there again. Also, Takara's MP 13 pretty much lost all value when Hasbro released MP Soundwave with all 5 cassettes. I think the bottom line is like any collectible item. If your plan is to sell it down the road, keep in sealed and mint. If you want to display, transfer the toys out of the box, they are going to significantly drop in value.

I just started my MP collection last month and I'm kind of trying to justify spending so much other than being in a happy happy mood every time I'm in my man cave.

Anywho, does anyone know of a reference guide of original prices when each MP first came out? Or does anyone haveva general idea of how the values have held up, increased, or decreased over time? Seeing as the franchise is decades old, has there ever been a slump where the toys lost value?

Masta_Skidz
04-23-2015, 04:24 PM
if you are collecting to get rich or make more money than the initial investment then I would say stop collecting MP would be my advice. I collect for my enjoyment. I invest in stock and bonds when I want to make money.

Grimtron
04-23-2015, 04:35 PM

With anything, the prices go up and they go down. MP's that have not seen a re-issue tend to cost more than ones that are getting re-issued, like MP-10. If you are collecting to get profit out of them, its a risky game. Your better off buying stocks or investing in condos/properties.

Word of the wise: If you list something at a price, doesn't mean you have a buyer. The secondary market only exist cause there is demand, once the demand is gone the money goes with it.

supafly
04-23-2015, 04:36 PM
I don't plan on selling ever! I put them in my detolfs and smile when I look over while a game loads or whatever. Like any collectibles, it's only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it!It's fun to know the trends though.

Masta_Skidz
04-23-2015, 04:43 PM
well then the felling you get from looking at them should justify the purchase price IMO

Protoman
04-23-2015, 04:52 PM
MPs go one of 2 ways.

They hold value or jump up and down depending on "other option factors"

They rarely go below their original purchase price

Look no further then the history of MP Grimlock with his 4 different Takara/Asia releases and Hasbro with their 2 to see the crazy ups and downs of Masterpiece

Or Lambor and how the bootleg market also can effect things.

It's a magical tale.

supafly
04-23-2015, 05:06 PM
See, there's lore there that is fun to know! Like it appears the first sideswipe had wheels that didn't roll, and the second run fixed that making it more in demand. Multi-releases galore makes things confusing, it is indeed pretty magical!

jjwankenobi
04-23-2015, 05:31 PM
I think the bottom line is like any collectible item. If your plan is to sell it down the road, keep in sealed and mint. If you want to display, transfer the toys out of the box, they are going to significantly drop in value.

This.

if you are collecting to get rich or make more money than the initial investment then I would say stop collecting MP would be my advice. I collect for my enjoyment. I invest in stock and bonds when I want to make money.

And this.

These are toys, not commodoties. Bottom line. We collectors assign their subjective value. There are better investments with substantially better returns out there.

Even though communities like this help our hobbies retain their value, I tend to enjoy MPs for their entertainment value (whether sealed or not) which outweighs their intrinsic value.

MULTIPLEX
04-23-2015, 07:05 PM
If you buy the Takara versions when the early bird pricing is valid, you will make money every time. Lot of people fund their MP collection just by doing that.

@supafly Shameless plug. If you need any MPs, I have a few left. Send me a PM if interested.

Rodimus Prime1
04-23-2015, 07:13 PM
^^^^^^^^^^ all these

I use the latest Hasbro release of Grimmy as an example got it sealed in the box for 69.00. before that I was lucky to see a loose grimmy for 185.00.

If they re-release the value drops a bit do to supply and demand( heavy on the depand)

keep this in mind too

http://www.liketotally80s.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/underoos-fun-of-it-print-ad-greg-koenig.jpg

steamwhistle
04-23-2015, 07:54 PM
I think OP is looking for a reference... Just to know how much the approximate original price of an MP was, to have a gauge to feel if it's worth buying at the current, inflated, "supply and demand" rate.

As an example, I'm looking for an MP-11 Starscream, but if the original price was $120, I'm not interested in paying $220 for it.

Pgianos
04-23-2015, 09:39 PM

this guy knows what he is talking about. buying tf for investment is quite frankly a terrible idea. buy real estate . ask all those people in the 90s how their cards and comics investments panned out. we are in the boom phase of tf collecting where prices are based on speculation increasing price points and with market saturation like mp10 the bust is coming..

Sun Swipe Prime
04-23-2015, 09:44 PM
Let's look at the Grandaddy of all Masterpieces MP-01. When it first came out in North America, with no trailer, I saw it for $99.99 Can. If you check the Ebay prices, which are known to be generally on the high side, you can buy one MISB for $122 and loose for $85. Take into account inflation, and prices are at best retaining retail value.

Plenty of reasons it's not up there in pricing. Multiple reissues being one. But maybe one of the biggest reasons is MP-10. Who's chasing down the old shaggy dog when the new hotness is staring them in the face?

You have to figure in the future they'll make an new MP series and the old one will drop in prices. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what happened, and what's happening to the Alternators line up? Who want's alternators Sideswipe when the MP version is superior.