PDA

View Full Version : The WalMart MP Starscream Decision: buy inflated or wait?

Goaliebot
01-17-2008, 12:35 PM
Loved it the moment I saw it.

Cried when we learned us Canucks were getting the shaft... AGAIN.

Searched and searched over New Years when I was in Florida... to no avail.

Am on the "want list" over on TFW2005, but it is getting loooooong and I'm way down there.

So... here's the decision. Do I give in to the dark side and pay a scalper for one?

On evilBay I can find Buy-It-Nows for as cheap as $85 shipped to Canada via USPS. So I could get him for basically $30 over US retail. $15 profit to a scalper, $15 to the USPS.

It grinds my gears to buy anything from a scalper, but in this case... is there really a choice? I'm watching the FS threads here and other places, but he doesn't seem to ever go for less than $80 or more when shipped.

Is he worth $80? I only paid $60 for MP Prime...

Is he going to get rarer? Stories seem to indicate he's gotten impossible to find in the US... are we likely to see thousands more stock the shelves, or is that it and he's done his retail run?

Of course, if I do buy him from eBay, we will quickly afterwards hear he IS coming to Canada. Murphy's Law. But you know, I'd be an unsung hero to fellow Canadian TF collectors in that case. :p

Decisions, decisions...

Thoughts?

JaySmith
01-17-2008, 12:48 PM
I'd personally just wait, as once the Japanese version gets released the American versions price should technically drop.

Pascal
01-17-2008, 01:02 PM
Sometimes you have to pay what something is worth. Clearance sales and too-good-to-be-true deals are not a human right. :p

soundwaveCA
01-17-2008, 01:11 PM
I'd personally just wait, as once the Japanese version gets released the American versions price should technically drop.

Considering the Japanese one is $100+ I would't bank on it.

hugh_da_man
01-17-2008, 02:41 PM
I got mine for $75 shipped off ebay. You just have to keep watching.

GMfan
01-17-2008, 03:48 PM
If you wait long enough for any transformer you can get it for or below retail. If you don't want the box look for a loose complete one you'll usually get a good deal that way.

rid
01-17-2008, 04:01 PM
If you wait long enough for any transformer you can get it for or below retail.

So how much more do I have to wait until Alt Swerve goes below retail? :D

Seriously though, I agree (on most toys). If it's not a limited release, it will go down in price eventually. But I think this one will be one of the few exceptions. Just like alt swerve or cybertron Leo Breaker etc.

On the other hand, some are worth full price (or even higher). I paid more for Hasbro's SS because I know there isn't any chance we'd see it up here, north of the border. And honestly, I doubt you'll ever see this one go down in price.

just my $0.02

GMfan
01-17-2008, 04:19 PM
Actually I've seen both of those items for less the suggested retail, picked up leobreaker when I did but passed on alt swerve AND shockblast because of multiple reasons. Not much spending cash at the time, didn't really like swerve to begin with (had Tracks aready), didn't like shockwave as a car....looking back I probably should have got those.

EnragedCoconut
01-17-2008, 04:33 PM
I bit the bullet and bought him off of BBTS. Can't remember what I paid but with shipping and customs it was alot.

Was he worth it? Yes! :)

EC

-KG-
01-17-2008, 04:48 PM
I have a funny feeling he'll show up at Square One Wal-Mart and only there...

GMfan
01-17-2008, 04:55 PM
If he does I'll grab up as many as I can for you true fans before the scalpers can get their greedy little hands on them :P

Buhawi
01-17-2008, 07:29 PM
i got mine for 65$ delivered right to my door by siulam.

slippy
01-17-2008, 08:00 PM
If he does I'll grab up as many as I can for you true fans before the scalpers can get their greedy little hands on them :P

thanks! :):)

Goaliebot
01-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Well, I caved in this morning and bought one off the 'bay for $65 usd + $15 shipping.

Not bad when you think about it, it being a hard-to-find-down-there US exclusive.

MangaSpawn64
01-18-2008, 10:38 PM
Well, I caved in this morning and bought one off the 'bay for $65 usd + $15 shipping.

Not bad when you think about it, it being a hard-to-find-down-there US exclusive.

It's a good price... got mine for 75 dlvd a month and a half ago.

tusko
01-21-2008, 10:21 AM
I say wait it out.

With the cost of this mold it'll be released again and again and again. I'd guess every 5 years with little paint and accessory mods.

Conversely if it burns in the pit of your stomach and you have the cash, live in poverty and be happy.

Giv'er

Pascal
01-21-2008, 12:23 PM
I don't think an extra $20 is what going to ruin somebody... :)

CrackerBoy
01-21-2008, 02:10 PM
I was lucky enough to get mine from a TFW2005 lounge member for cost + exact shipping. He actually mailed it to me and then told me the price.

I love it and it is worth and extra $20 if that's what you have to pay.

Goaliebot
01-22-2008, 12:29 PM
Hopefully I actually get it. I'm a little annoyed not to have heard anything from the seller since I won and paid on Saturday. Still... patience is a virtue...

Adding to my frustration, I paid someone on the TFW boards for a couple figures last Friday and they haven't replied to me since.

I just like that "Payment recieved, will ship soon" reassurance, you know?

---

By the way, as soon as I do have MP SS in my hands, Murphy's Law dictates that Hasbro will then release him in Canada. You're all welcome. :p

RedOktobre
01-23-2008, 02:23 AM
I'd like to get my hands on one too; however, I'm not actively searching for it. If I get it, I'll treat it as a bonus. If I don't, well, it was vitally important anyway. :)