PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Slag Episode 44 - All Just Won't Stay Dead

GMfan
03-19-2011, 12:56 AM
We're back! It's been a while but Canadian Slag is back with a vengeance ... and a new look. Come join us will you in this all new 44th episode of Slag. We'll get to know our new host, review what we know so far about DOTM (be forewarned it may contain possible spoilers), getting to know those pesky Insecticons, and end the episode with a what the hell were they thinking with Mechtech Weaponry?!

Episode 44 - All Just Won't Stay Dead! (http://www.cybertron.ca/podcast/Canadian%20Slag%2044%20-%20All%20Just%20Won't%20Stay%20Dead!.mp3)
Host: Daniel w/ Phil and Wendel
- Introducing Phil and Wendel
- Comment or speculate - What we know of DOTM
- Getting to know - The Insecticons (for chans formers)
- What they hell were they thinking?! - Mechtech Weaponry

DOWNLOAD NOW! (http://www.cybertron.ca/podcast/Canadian%20Slag%2044%20-%20All%20Just%20Won't%20Stay%20Dead!.mp3)

(Click the link to play in browser or right click and save if you wish to download outside of iTunes)

WE'RE ON ITUNES! CLICK HERE! RATE AND REVIEW! (http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/cybertron-ca-canadian-transformers/id337471858)

UltraPrimal
03-19-2011, 12:59 AM
WHAT?! New episode?! I must go listen to it now!!

Protoman
03-19-2011, 04:17 PM
SURPRISE!

Shockwave 75
03-19-2011, 04:49 PM
Pretty good for Canadian Slag Redux.

I agree with the WTHWTT segment regarding the Mech Tech weapons. I'm sure kids will love them (which is the point really), but I think they just look stupid.

Jawz. D
03-19-2011, 05:03 PM
XD

HEY MA! I'm on the Internets!

Protoman
03-19-2011, 05:20 PM
I forgot to mention the Toys R Us reissue's modern (license) names:

Shrapnel = Sharpshot
Kickback = Kickback (As I said he kept his name since the beginning)
Bombshell = Hardshell (First seen in the Robot Heroes line)

Nullray
03-19-2011, 06:05 PM
I forgot to mention the Toys R Us reissue's modern (license) names:

Shrapnel = Sharpshot
Kickback = Kickback (As I said he kept his name since the beginning)
Bombshell = Hardshell (First seen in the Robot Heroes line)

I was always curious. How come they changed the names? What was wrong with the old ones?

UltraPrimal
03-19-2011, 06:22 PM
I didn't realize how much I missed Canadian Slag until I listened to this episode.:D

You know what these MechTech figures remind me of? The Lightformers! Who? These two guys.
http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/4/48/G1-toy-Ironfist.jpg
http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/4/4f/G1Deftwing_toy.jpg
If we don't see an Ironfist and Deftwing in this line, it'll be huge missed opportunity for Hasbro.
I was always curious. How come they changed the names? What was wrong with the old ones?
I hear that they changed Bombshell because that name is apparently offensive to some people. I guess they associate it with suicide bombers or car bombers. Shrapnel I can see them changing for the same reason.

OR you know, could just be the same old "lost the copyright on the name" thing.

But it doesn't matter what they call it on the box. You know who they really are. ;)

Protoman
03-19-2011, 07:23 PM

They lost the rights to use the names on a profitable licensing level. Hasbro is not like they were back in the 80s, now an intellectual property has a value with it. Back then they would use common names like Ratchet and Jazz and didn't think twice about it.... this is the same Hasbro back in 1986 that killed Optimus Prime and felt it was not a big deal. Today they want to keep these characters forever but can't have the names on a profitable level. So they have to change the names so they can legally register them and then cause have it under their legal banner. They COULD have stuck with Shrapnel or Bombshell (Neither names are licensed like Ratchet) but if down the line someone like Mattel or Bandai make a toy with the name Bombshell, Shrapnel or Ratchet that is a robot; Hasbro has no legal right to sue and say it's causing confusion with their character cause the name was never theirs to begin with. Thus we get Sharpshot and Hardshell, but licensable names and now part of Hasbro's company.

This is completely different from Jazz and Hot Rod which are licensable but both owned by other companies.

Malwave
03-19-2011, 07:43 PM
and....downloaded. :clapping:

glad to see ya back man :)

Nemesis Predaking
03-20-2011, 11:03 AM
OY!, It's 2 time 1st place winner at TFCon for Otis & 3rd year in a row of him placing.

That being said. He knows he has a HUGE target on his back this year. Everyone's gunning for him & I'm no exception.

Stapler
03-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Canadian Slag is back! Now the empty void in my podcast listening schedule has been mended. Great to have you back, guys, and you're in as good form as ever. :clapping:

Protoman
03-20-2011, 10:47 PM
OY!, It's 2 time 1st place winner at TFCon for Otis & 3rd year in a row of him placing.

That being said. He knows he has a HUGE target on his back this year. Everyone's gunning for him & I'm no exception.

This year should be interesting indeed. How can one top Omega Supreme

chans formers
03-21-2011, 12:55 AM
finally got some time to finish this episode and though it seems odd that gmfan's not really in it no more,it still has the same good vibe so far.

the only thing i can add to the insecticons was that i think it was shrapnel (could have been bombshell but i'll stick with shrapnel:p)who had the ability to make thousands of insecticon clones.

@decepticonarmy,i never noticed before that kickback did use his namesake alot for attacks:o
knowing is half the battle!!!

@n/p.......hopefully this fun rivalry inspires everyone to bring their "A" game:highfive:(and more after party beer:clapping:)

@protoman........sumtin's cookin' in da kitchen';)

@wendel, man.....you had me rotflmfao.....it's a color's thang:D

Robimus
03-21-2011, 01:45 AM
Good show.

Strange I never once as a kid considered Jazz as the "Black Transformer". The cool one, yes, but not the black one.

Am I in the minority on this?

GMfan
03-21-2011, 02:06 AM
He knows he has a HUGE target on his back this year. Everyone's gunning for him & I'm no exception.

The fact that he's won consecutive years should make for some great competition and everyone whipping out their A game...Really looking forward to seeing this year's 3-D entries...

finally got some time to finish this episode and though it seems odd that gmfan's not really in it no more,it still has the same good vibe so far.

...I had a cameo appearance...

I'll pop in every now and again when I have a chance, after May I'll have more free time once school is over and hopefully work doesn't consume all my time (but considering I'd have to quit my job for my last year of school I'm gonna have to work as many hours as possible in the summer...I NEED BEER MONEY! :P)

Good show.

Strange I never once as a kid considered Jazz as the "Black Transformer". The cool one, yes, but not the black one.

I can make an awful awful reply but I'll stick to "I'd say so" as pretty much everyone I know as viewed him as the "black transformer"...didn't help also being the only Autobot in season 1 voiced by an African American....

Robimus
03-21-2011, 02:24 AM
I can make an awful awful reply but I'll stick to "I'd say so" as pretty much everyone I know as viewed him as the "black transformer"...didn't help also being the only Autobot in season 1 voiced by an African American....

I bet a lot of kids in 1984 - 1986 didn't even make that connection.

Heck, years later, how many people know that Bart Simpson is voiced by a woman?

Nemesis Predaking
03-21-2011, 07:52 AM
This year should be interesting indeed. How can one top Omega Supreme

I got a few ideas. Otis is going to have to work hard to defend his title.

@n/p.......hopefully this fun rivalry inspires everyone to bring their "A" game:highfive:(and more after party beer:clapping:)

You know it, it's always in good fun.

The fact that he's won consecutive years should make for some great competition and everyone whipping out their A game...Really looking forward to seeing this year's 3-D entries...

With out a doubt, I'll never take that way from him.
But I'm not letting him "walk away" with it this year. :p

GMfan
03-21-2011, 08:47 AM
"oh these entries? Oh it's a working gun that transforms my frown into a smile...and this bat which does the same thing when he defeats the evil knee-capticons...

So...I win right?"

:P

Jawz. D
03-21-2011, 12:47 PM
Good show.

LOL! The only reason I noticed that was because my family are West Indian. So while I was home I was trying to figure out their dialect. When I was at school everyone spoke like how most people on TV spoke in the early 90s.

I just felt that Jazz's way of speaking was a bit different from everyone in the show. Like he sounded like a Jazz musician. Like whenever they were spoofed on a Looney Toons cartoon.

That's how I saw it... That and I watched a lot of TV back in the day...

Decepticon Army
03-21-2011, 02:06 PM
and this bat which does the same thing when he defeats the evil knee-capticons...
It's amazing what you can accomplish with a simple baseball bat. :D

Vain
03-21-2011, 11:25 PM
That was a really entertainign episode, good job mates. Glad to hear it back on again!

TMIIWonkoNemises
03-25-2011, 11:06 AM
Man I couldn't listen to the new Slag Episode (Knee deep in essays and applications) but now that's all over,time to see how different this Podcast is now that Chris is occupied.

And thanks for singling me out Chris...but we can't deny that I am the only girl listener that responds to the Podcast...also,nice touch on referencing one of my favourite Simpsons Episodes.

Now then:

It's very interesting about host rotation,which I actually am looking forward to.Whether or not Chris has left a large void to Slag is considerably debatable,but it is nice to see other Members' opinions on the general Fandom and the news we're getting.Not saying there's anything wrong with 'our happy little band',but it is refreshing to have a new opinion for Slag once in a while.

Yes!Guest announcements!Finally!

Phil,you're 23?No offence,but you look much older...like...25.Also,if Dan Gilvezan whispered that Frank got the part of Soundwave before everyone else noticed.....chances are every single one of you would hear the girliest squee ever made.

Hey Daniel...could I see that pic of you and Star Saber?Not cause of the toy itself...but you got me interested on what you look like in a school uniform :D

Holy crap!I would love a DOTM version of Cryotek!

One of my biggest concerns for DOTM is how much time for character development is there for the robots.Compared to ROTF,where a majority of the new Transformers barely had lines (And Jolt had none),and with new ones coming around,and what we've known on where the direction of writing is being taken,you can only wonder on whether or not any of the characters from ROTF will finally get bits of character development (And Jolt to even have one line...I'm very sure he is coming back for this film)

Another thing is the 'Red Shirt' tactic that the production team have been using.Sure it brings more of the 'destruction' that is the main focus of the film,I was quite annoyed that these very interesting Transformers get killed off the moment they are introduced...but for the case of DOTM,where it is basically an Alien Invasion storyline,'Red Shirting' the various robots are an exception.

Phil,how can you determine that Peter Cullen will voice Sentinel Prime....just because his face looks similar to Cullen,I don't believe that he will be voicing him...I wouldn't mind the fact that Mark Ryan could voice Sentinel.

Corey Burton hasn't done any Pixar films to my knowledge.But you are spot-on on his philosophy towards how he feels about Voice Acting in blockbuster movies.There is a full interview of him explaining why he refused it,and his outlook towards how he views himself as a Voice Actor,which is found in his site http://www.coreyburton.com/ (Go to the Forum [Thread:Transformers]).Personally I was sad about him refusing the role,but I completely respected his reasons for doing so,which I found admirable.

The fact that you compared Shockwave to The Fallen is pretty much a slight insult in my opinion...compared to how The Fallen was treated in ROTF (Wasted potential as I call it).

I would wear those silly 3D masks if there was a Shockwave version available....despite him having one eye.

There is a possibility that the third film may fall unto the same category with the other trilogy films...now that they have a new head writer on board.If Kruger does exceed Orci and Kurtzman in terms of writing,guess who will be calling it in the next few weeks after the premiere of DOTM.

I have an opinion of Prime myself......but that's another day and another cup of tea.

You guys forget to mention the MasterMind Creations Insectatrain :P

A very quick Slag Episode,but other than that,it was pretty cool.Can't wait to hear more Episodes of this 'Brand Spanking New' Podcast.

Protoman
03-25-2011, 10:58 PM
Hey Daniel...could I see that pic of you and Star Saber?Not cause of the toy itself...but you got me interested on what you look like in a school uniform :D

Oh man that was like........ wow Grade 10 I think, so like 13 years ago... also it was an ACTUAL photo, so after I dig it up I am going to have to scan it. One day..... it's a funny one

Supernova
03-26-2011, 10:07 AM
Welcome back Canadian Slag! It was a nice surprise since I saw it coming in iTunes before I made it to the site. :D

Overall, enjoyed the episode - loved the intro!

Don't have too much to say otherwise. A part of me thinks that the MechTech gimmick is there to make up for what seems to be simplified transformations (isn't that what Hasbro said they were wanting to do going forward?). I know that will be good for the kids - and that's what matters the most.

The Protoman era is off to a very good start, and I'm looking forward to the next episode! What is the plan for that, if I may ask - bi-weekly, monthly, here and there?

TMIIWonkoNemises
03-26-2011, 01:23 PM
Oh man that was like........ wow Grade 10 I think, so like 13 years ago... also it was an ACTUAL photo, so after I dig it up I am going to have to scan it. One day..... it's a funny one

Awesome.I can't wait to see it.

Protoman
04-30-2011, 01:03 AM
Welcome back Canadian Slag! It was a nice surprise since I saw it coming in iTunes before I made it to the site. :D

Overall, enjoyed the episode - loved the intro!

Don't have too much to say otherwise. A part of me thinks that the MechTech gimmick is there to make up for what seems to be simplified transformations (isn't that what Hasbro said they were wanting to do going forward?). I know that will be good for the kids - and that's what matters the most.

The Protoman era is off to a very good start, and I'm looking forward to the next episode! What is the plan for that, if I may ask - bi-weekly, monthly, here and there?

Thank Phil for all the great editing work he is doing