PDA

View Full Version : Is trading purchasing?

PrimeCron
02-22-2011, 11:03 PM
Recently my lovely wife strongly suggested to hold of on purchasing more transformers due to our finances being out of wack...so I decided to trade in order to purchase less(really hard though with all the recent releases)...But now my wife realized and we are cureently debating on the fact that I'm still purchasing/spending because we all know that shipping isnt free...

Which leads me to this question, is trading purchasing???

Your thoughts!!!

Bruticus82
02-22-2011, 11:07 PM
Well, it depends on the context.

But if this is in the context of family finances, and her asking you to "hold off on purchasing more transformers"...trading is not purchasing.

That said, your shipping is still a cost, although not a "purchase" in my mind. If the issue is money, your shipping is just as bad as a purchase.

You should either trade more so the shipping is free, or agree on an amount of reasonable shipping you can do per month, to enable you to keep up your trades, but still give you the financial savings you and your wife seem to have agreed to.

Note: For GST purposes, trading is two separate purchase/sale transactions.

Alexander Quinn
02-23-2011, 12:08 AM
Depends. Do you like sleeping on the couch? :)

If money is that tight, then honestly, yeah. For the well being of the marriage and to avoid arguments, I'd hold off on anything that isn't an easy local pickup trade.

Larkhainan
02-23-2011, 12:17 AM
If your marriage has well being questions that flame up over ten dollars in shipping then you have far deeper issues.

That being said, while you are observing the letter of the agreement, you're ignoring the spirit. That's always a good way to sass off the spouse or SO. I'd say shift it to stuff that doesn't involve shipping.

chans formers
02-23-2011, 12:20 AM
Depends. Do you like sleeping on the couch? :)

lolz!!!!
you're married too aren't you?:p

technically,no,trading isn't buying(besides the mentioned shipping costs).
however,it'll be that much harder when you amass enough where you literally have no room.that's when wifey will curse everytime you bring home a bunch of bots,even if they were free you'll still be in for a long night:(

Dark Rage
02-23-2011, 12:35 AM
Shipping's a cost of doing business/trading. Try to keep your trades locally?

Badgertron
02-23-2011, 05:55 AM
Yeah, no kidding. You live in Toronto, man. There's hundreds of collectors right in your neighbourhood. Try to keep trades local, and you should be able to find most of what you need. You could also sell a couple of things, & use the money to make your purchases, or pay shipping with. If you do go that route, though, make sure you write it all down, in case you get wife-audited :)

wheeljaxx
02-23-2011, 09:01 AM
Recently my lovely wife strongly suggested to hold of on purchasing more transformers due to our finances being out of wack...so I decided to trade in order to purchase less(really hard though with all the recent releases)...But now my wife realized and we are cureently debating on the fact that I'm still purchasing/spending because we all know that shipping isnt free...

Which leads me to this question, is trading purchasing???

Your thoughts!!!

toys are just toys. Your wife is your wife. it should be pretty simple.

tusko
02-23-2011, 09:36 AM
Everything being released today will be saturated in the market.

Save your money and keep your wife happy.

When the cash is plentiful again, you'll be able to hit a convention or find a lot of all these recent toys for cheap. Patience.

Enjoy what you have.

jourdo
02-23-2011, 11:40 AM
I'd stick with local trades if you really want to trade. It sounds like money out is the issue, so with shipping costs factored in... trading still costs physical money.

toys are just toys. Your wife is your wife. it should be pretty simple.

Trade your wife?

tearfromthered
02-23-2011, 11:52 AM
I say it is and it isn't, for instance a new voyager goes for about 30.00 bucks, but say your trading a couple deluxes for a voyager
shipping is only say maybe 15.00 for a figure you could potentially trade in the future.

Omegatron
02-23-2011, 12:38 PM
With respect your question is based on a false assumption. Of course trading and purchasing can be defined as separate things but what you’re really asking is: does trading still come with a cost? The answer is yes, shipping is still a cost. Money out of pocket is money out of pocket no mater what you spend it on.

If cash is really that tight in your household then it would seem to me that you have two options:

1. Stop collecting for a while.

2. Only collect if there is zero cost involved, so straight up trading (bots for bots, no cash involved) and local pickup.

Hopefully your money situation soon improves and you can convince your wife that transformers are the obvious and right things to spend your cash on.

Transbot90210
02-23-2011, 12:57 PM
Seeing as the reason you are holding off on purchasing is money and you are using money for your trades...In this instance...Your trading is purchasing.

Now if you met up witha local and swapped and no charges were incured then trading is not purchasing.

Follow the money.

UltraMarknus
02-23-2011, 01:14 PM
If your marriage has well being questions that flame up over ten dollars in shipping then you have far deeper issues.

Well now there is a far fetched assumption. The issue stated was tightness of money not his wife not wanting him to collect.

In the grand scheme of things...toys are a luxury. In a lot of cases, the cost of shipping is equal to 1 home cooked meal.

If anything is coming out of the bank account that has to do with your collect, then yes, it is a purchase. Whether its a toy or shipping. Your definately in a great location to do local trading. I say take advantage of it.

Quantum
02-23-2011, 01:17 PM
Basically what most have said: if you're incurring a cost in shipping your trades, then yes, you are spending the money you both agreed you didn't have. If you trade locally and meet up and no money is involved in the trade, then you're good to go.

racerguy76
02-23-2011, 01:41 PM
I've tried the whole trading over purchasing. It can be cheaper that outright buying from retail, but there is still the shipping cost. Sure I traded 3 $10 figures for $12 shipping so I did save money, but it is still a cost out of pocket. If your trying to reduce the amount you spend on toys it can be a good option, but if the choice is food or a toys, we all know toys...I mean food should win.

Shockwave 75
02-23-2011, 02:48 PM
I think the real question here is not "is trading purchasing?" but "is shipping purchasing?". The obvious answer is yes. While the items you're recieving may technically cost nothing due to the trade, the shipping on the one's you're sending out does.

I agree with the others, you're in Toronto, trade locally, or not at all.

Hell, if you've got some good stuff to get rid of take it to places like The Silver Snail, they'll buy your stuff and then you can get whatever you want!

Shockwave 75
02-23-2011, 02:53 PM
Now I pose an alternate question:

Should the monetary value of an item be a factor in a trade?
So long as both parties are getting what they want should the individual "worth" of each item be a factor?

Example: two people are doing a trade, one is giving a Bumblebee, the other a Metroplex. Both feel this is a good trade since they are both getting what they want, but is it a "fair" trade since Metroplex is worth probably 5x what Bumblebee is?

Darth Wave
02-23-2011, 02:55 PM
With respect your question is based on a false assumption. Of course trading and purchasing can be defined as separate things but what you’re really asking is: does trading still come with a cost? The answer is yes, shipping is still a cost. Money out of pocket is money out of pocket no mater what you spend it on.

If cash is really that tight in your household then it would seem to me that you have two options:

1. Stop collecting for a while.

2. Only collect if there is zero cost involved, so straight up trading (bots for bots, no cash involved) and local pickup.

Hopefully your money situation soon improves and you can convince your wife that transformers are the obvious and right things to spend your cash on.

AGREED 100%!

I had this very talk with my wife...:yelling::yelling::yelling: even if you trade a bot for a bot you still need to drive to a place to meet. Tack on $5 to your trade or if you take the bus... what ever the cost of bus fare is. Unless you make a trade where the other part comes to your house, only then is the trade "FREE" without spending.

Shockwave 75
02-24-2011, 12:59 PM
I had this very talk with my wife...:yelling::yelling::yelling: even if you trade a bot for a bot you still need to drive to a place to meet. Tack on $5 to your trade or if you take the bus... what ever the cost of bus fare is. Unless you make a trade where the other part comes to your house, only then is the trade "FREE" without spending.
But that's really splitting hairs there. because technically taking the car or riding the bus ANYWHERE will add that same amount to anything you do.

TFtoys
03-01-2011, 04:54 AM
or back to the host PrimeCron, (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/member.php?u=8935)
trying to trade enough until you have those trading money to cover shipping fee as well. Hence, trading first then purchasing.
If you are trying to establish meeting up, then trying to sell them in a bulk so you have excessive money to cover the shipping. or meet up at where you work or somewhere convenient when you actually need to pass by everyday.

That being said, while you are observing the letter of the agreement, you're ignoring the spirit. That's always a good way to sass off the spouse or SO. I'd say shift it to stuff that doesn't involve shipping.
Yeah, I think this is not a bout ten dollars but the behavior or the action that she interpreted it as "betraying". And Logically thinking or answers do not really work on some wife if they do not like something.:doh:
Well now there is a far fetched assumption. The issue stated was tightness of money not his wife not wanting him to collect.
I think both are matter... either way will trigger the angry of the wife. Even if you get the toy for free and she might still assume that you get a new toy without her permission or something.