PDA

View Full Version : Rubsign Opinions

Blitzkrieg
01-27-2011, 07:58 PM
I ordered some Decepticon Rubsigns from reprolabels.com and I was thinking of using them for some of my Generations Deluxe Figures; IE: Dirge, etc. I am also using them for my custom Nemesis Prime. What are some opinions out there about this?, do you guys think it's a good idea?

Vain
01-27-2011, 08:25 PM
Well if you want to do then I would say it is a good idea right? 'Cause YOU do want too.

I personnaly don't like Rubsigns, I don't know what I was on as a kid to think they were cool, but they're really not. PErhaps they've lost their charm but anywho, I'm all about full out faction symbols, I think they look pretty wicked Since they vary in size and can be placed in more areas then Rubsigns.

Just my two cents, but I mean if you like rubsigns, then ya shouldn't be asking, just do what ya please :]

I know tons of mates who prefer the rubsigns aswell.

Nullray
01-27-2011, 10:38 PM
I remember as a kid they released the thermal reactive thermometers. Change colour and iluminating the numbers as it got warmer. Going way back. Kinda a trendy gimmick. The heat premise for the rub signs. We had one in the window. Why would you want a rubsign to prove your toys aren't KOs when you already know that? Just curious?

chans formers
01-27-2011, 11:14 PM
^it was more for back in the 80's.
when tf's first came out,every other toy company jumped on the bandwagon producing zillions of ko's.
the rubsign was a way of showing/proving "authenticity".

i'm biased because i grew up with them,so i'd say yes,use them on your classics bots!!

Hobbyist Prime
01-27-2011, 11:22 PM
^^ FTW

Whisky Tango Foxtrot
01-28-2011, 12:26 AM
I don't like the way they used one in place of the iconic wing-insignia on Classics Skywarp (I removed the rub sign on mine and put a couple of standard stickers on the wings in its place.) Still, they were an iconic part of the original Transformers line so it's nice that Hasbro brings them back every few years for nostalgia's sake.

I'm glad that it's only every few years, though.

Shockwave 75
01-28-2011, 12:36 AM
Well if you want to do then I would say it is a good idea right? 'Cause YOU do want too.

I personnaly don't like Rubsigns, I don't know what I was on as a kid to think they were cool, but they're really not. PErhaps they've lost their charm but anywho, I'm all about full out faction symbols, I think they look pretty wicked Since they vary in size and can be placed in more areas then Rubsigns.

Just my two cents, but I mean if you like rubsigns, then ya shouldn't be asking, just do what ya please :]

I know tons of mates who prefer the rubsigns aswell.
I agree, if YOU like them, then do it.

Personally, I'm split on them. I like them, but not when they're used in lieu of an actual faction symbol. Example: I have two G1 Soundwaves, one is an '84 and thusly has a Con symbol on his chest, the other is an '85 and has a rub symbol on his chest.

The rub symbols were a good idea/gimmick in G1 when they had the pack-in mini-spies, and the whole point of the rub symbol was that you didn't know if your mini-spy was a friend or foe until you revealed the sheild (<- see what I did there? :D).

I guess I think that unless they are going to do something like that again, the rub symbols need to go away.

Oh, and stop useing faction symbols that have "passive colours". Autobot symbols are RED, Decepticon symbols are PURPLE!!
Not grey, or gold, or silver, or whatever!!

Badgertron
01-28-2011, 12:39 AM
I like rubsigns because, let's face it, giant faction stickers on the altmode pretty much ruins the whole "Robots in disguise" bit.

Vain
01-28-2011, 01:29 AM
I like rubsigns because, let's face it, giant faction stickers on the altmode pretty much ruins the whole "Robots in disguise" bit.

A Black square on a hood isn't very subtle either :P

brr-icy
01-28-2011, 01:41 AM
rubsigns are great on classics, but it's nice if they have the real symbols as well

ConvoyGTR
01-28-2011, 02:56 AM
Rubsign are cool and nostalgic, but personally I would stick with the tampo symbols they come with or leave it bare because I think putting any kind of sticker on your toys is tacky looking unless it's part of the design like G1 toys.

Badgertron
01-28-2011, 03:33 AM
A Black square on a hood isn't very subtle either :P

Except that faction stickers tend to carry on into the fiction, while the rubsigns don't.

justprime
01-28-2011, 08:04 AM
I liked the rub signs and think they should still be using them, what I would like to see again is the mini spys and decoys the litle rubber figures that actully looked like the charater and could be used with the playsets,these were cool wish big H would bring these back with updated versions to match the new charaters.

Shockwave 75
01-28-2011, 03:57 PM
I think if they could make the rubsign seamlessly part of the alt/mode, and then have an actual faction symbol for the robot mode, that would be cool.

Didn't the Car Robots Spychangers have hidden rub symbols? I seem to remember seeing a pic of someone rubbing the roof of Ox (RID Ironhide) and revealing a Bot symbol.
If they could do that, I'd be all for rub symbols.

UltraMarknus
01-28-2011, 04:08 PM
I thought rubsigns were awesome as a kid. I loved working them even knowing full well whether it was an Autobot or Decepticon. Its pure nostalgia in my case as I remember them vividly...so I say rubsign away!

Dagger
01-30-2011, 01:53 AM
I like the rubsigns. It just fels more transformersy to me when they are there, although I would like them to have the actual faction symbols as well.

I guess for me its because when I was a kid, Transformers nosedived in popularity (at least with the kids at my school) once they were abandonned (mind you the product did seem alot more KO quality) so I kind of look at the end of rubsigns as the end of the glory days of the band at that time.

So I guess its just for nostalgias sake, but still.. I like em.

wheeljaxx
01-30-2011, 04:08 PM
i pull off all the rub signs on mine. i hate them. The only figures they make sense for are the mini spies, which is what they were originally intended for. They just kind of fell into hasbros way of saying they were "authentic"

they make no sense on a transformer who already has faction symbols. I.E. Blaster - HUGE autobot symbol on his chest.....tiny little rub sign on his crotch.. go figure.lol

i always peeled mine off and stuck them on other things. I'm also one of the few who misses sticker sheets and rubber tires.