PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Slag Episode 43 - V! V! Victory!

GMfan
01-08-2011, 07:03 PM
F**kin' Holi...in this last Canadian Slag of 2010 (it was recorded then...hush) we finally discuss in length the last full Japanese series that never made it's way to North American television, Transformers Victory. This tale of Star Saber vs. Dezarus is full of interesting characters, unusual plot points, and awesome battles that more or less formulated all Japanese Transformers series to come afterward. Then we do an in depth analysis of Cannonball in our getting to know series, and wrap up with talk on how awesome would that be if our dollar were more on par with Japan's yen right now!?

Episode 43 - V! V! Victory! (http://www.cybertron.ca/podcast/Canadian%20Slag%2043%20-%20V%21%20V%21%20Victory%21.mp3)
Host: Chris w/ Daniel & Jeremy
- Transformers Victory Discussion
- Getting to know Cannonball
- How awesome would that be if the yen and dollar were more at par!?
- A far far better thing that I do now

DOWNLOAD NOW! (http://www.cybertron.ca/podcast/Canadian%20Slag%2043%20-%20V%21%20V%21%20Victory%21.mp3)
(Click the link to play in browser or right click and save if you wish to download outside of iTunes)

RATE AND REVIEW US ON iTUNES! (http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/cybertron-ca-canadian-transformers/id337471858)

TMIIWonkoNemises
01-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Kickass!You finally got the 'Final' Episode of 2010 together.Looking forward to listening to this tonight.

bedtime
01-08-2011, 07:15 PM
yes finally! i've been so so impatient with this but i'm so glad theres another episode up

Stapler
01-08-2011, 08:44 PM
It's great to see a new entry of my favorite podcast after such an agonizing wait! :) This one sounds like it's chock full of great stuff. I'm really looking forward to the GTK Cannonball segment, it should be really interesting. Welcome back Canadian Slag! :)

Aernaroth
01-08-2011, 08:50 PM
If the yen and dollar were more at par Japan wouldn't be able to import a lot of the raw materials and outsource a lot of the funds for manufacturing that they do, thus having a negative impact on transformers produced.

TMIIWonkoNemises
01-08-2011, 11:21 PM
First off,welcome back my favourite boys of the Forum (Yes,that includes you Jeremy).

Now,to begin:Wow!My God,Victory has almost covered what I wanted in the writing department for Transformers:Violence,character struggles,a transitional change from the 'norm' we are forced to accustom to,advancements in technology,and politics!

Despite it's flaws,this is a very well done Series.I have to watch this immediately after Masterforce.

Just for sympathies' sake,I will look for the Micromasters.

So you guys decide to crash the rest of the segments under 30 minutes,okay.:rolleyes:

So Cannonball................honestly boys,honestly....don't let Jeremy suggest the Getting To Know Topic again.You have a better chance of Getting To Know all the aliens in the Transformers Franchise than this guy (Which I wouldn't mind being a suggestion)

Wow Daniel,you don't know the original Dire Straits video?The creators of ReBoot were involved in that video!Disappointing.

Wait....did I hear 'guesstimate'?That's a word?*Checks* Well I'll be damned.

Not to be critical,but the last Segment should have been a What The Hell Were They Thinking? about international relations of Transformers in terms of cost,shipping,and struggles between Japan,Canada,the US,and the UK...but,that's just me.

It's been inevitable for a while now that Chris is going to remove himself from Canadian Slag and let Daniel be the Creative Head of the Podcast.Either way Chris,I send you good wishes on your education....take of it as what you will...and Daniel,I know you'll do proud as always for the new batch of Slag Episodes ;)

A pretty good job guys.Not the best,but a pretty good one.

As for Chris' 'sendoff'....well,at least he had a wonderful Christmas.:canada:

But,this leaves the question....who will be the Third Host of Slag?

Jawz. D
01-09-2011, 02:01 AM
Welcome back boys!

CobraCommander
01-09-2011, 11:18 AM
I haven't listened to this yet, but I was just thinking how funny it might be if you used a technology similar to avatar kinect to do a video podcast using TF's as avatars in various locales :primelaugh:

http://kotaku.com/5726116/avatar-kinect-is-a-new-xbox-live-gold-perk-and-a-fancier-chatroom

GMfan
01-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Ha! Funny since I was watching the Ricky Gervais show the other day which is a cartooned version of the podcast he did a few years back and wondered if that could be pulled off somehow for modern day shows.

Unfortunately the plan sorta falls to the wayside when none of us have X-box :(

Stapler
01-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Just finishing your section on Victory and enjoyed the overview of the series. It's not my favorite TF series but I love the animation and look of the show.

Don't take this the wrong way, Daniel, but I'm afraid I'm still not behind you about Masterforce being the best way to handle humans. I feel that the idea of humans controlling lifeless TF bodies just downplays the transformers themselves.

I can say that I would be behind it if it went deeper with many TF's opposed to a human being the leader or humans using TF bodies, perhaps leading to a lot of infighting and controversy. I guess I'm just a sucker for the idea of humans and transformers having to form a bond and work together as headmansters/targetmasters/powermasters. But to each their own. :)

Now excuse me as I dive into the rest of the podcast. :D

UltraPrimal
01-09-2011, 08:13 PM
Yay! New episode!

Still haven't finished Victory. Guess I better get to it.

soundwaveCA
01-09-2011, 08:43 PM
Personally I think Victory sucks, its one of the better G1 shows visually but the story and characters are pretty one dimensional and not very interesting. Not to mention the comic relief, particularly the Dino-Force guys or whoever they are, is extremely terrible. Not to mention Jan and Holi are some of the worst sidekick characters ever.

I guess I'm just a sucker for the idea of humans and transformers having to form a bond and work together as headmansters/targetmasters/powermasters.

That's what I like about Masterforce honestly, I like the fact they mixed it up like that and tried something different. IMO it's the only G1 show that really holds up in any way outside of the 86 movie, and is the only good TF show the Japanese ever made.

Vain
01-10-2011, 01:20 AM
Quite happy this was released, sadly I fall rather short for the japanese stuff when it comes to transformers.

So couldn't follow with as much interest as usual but still enjoyed it.

Getting to know Smokescreen next? Kthx!

Shockwave 75
01-10-2011, 06:09 PM
For the love of God, Ginrai is pronounced "Jinray", "Jinray" dammit!!

Wow Daniel,you don't know the original Dire Straits video?The creators of ReBoot were involved in that video!Disappointing.
The two characters from the video even appear in an episode of Reboot.

Shockwave 75
01-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Still listening to the podcast as I type this, at the part about the weapons materializing in their hands.

I'm pretty sure it happened once in G1, with Cyclonus. I have a distinct memory of his gun either materializing or de-materializing in his hand. Maybe it happened in Headmasters, but I doubt it since Cyclonus (and Scourge) was pretty much relegated to being a moron.

It also happened pretty frequently in Masterforce. Ginrai's guns "beamed" in and out of his hands all the time.

GMfan
01-10-2011, 08:55 PM
For the love of God, Ginrai is pronounced "Jinray", "Jinray" dammit!!

Hey Listeners! Tell us what Overlord says (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G858Kimf_o4)!

"Jin-rye" or "Jin-ray"

....I fail to see the issue here

CobraCommander
01-10-2011, 10:07 PM
Hey Listeners! Tell us what Overlord says (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G858Kimf_o4)!

"Jin-rye" or "Jin-ray"

Clearly he says "Gin and tonic with a twist of lime" :D

P.S. The Princess Bride is a great movie, no way it's just a chick flick.

GMfan
01-10-2011, 10:09 PM
Clearly he says "Gin and tonic with a twist of lime" :D

P.S. The Princess Bride is a great movie, no way it's just a chick flick.

...G and T sounds good right about now :)

Cheers Ian
01-10-2011, 10:20 PM
It's GIN-RYE.

Man, I gotta sit down and watch Victory. I've only really seen clips here and there.

Protoman
01-10-2011, 11:52 PM
Oh boy....

God Ginrai - ゴッドジンライ - Gotto-Jinrai

Ends with Protoman.

Shockwave 75
01-11-2011, 01:16 PM

"Jin-rye" or "Jin-ray"

It's GIN-RYE.
Sounds like "Jinray" to me.

UltraPrimal
01-11-2011, 01:32 PM
I don't know what you all are hearing, but he clearly says "Ginger, the Professor, and Mary-Ann". Obviously Overlord is a big Gilligan's Island fan.

powerprime
01-11-2011, 04:15 PM
I wouldn't mind some gin, rye or even some beer.

Anyway i can believe we are fighting on how to say someones name from an 90's series.

I do have a question, is Transformers Victory an Anime or Cartoon?

Shockwave 75
01-11-2011, 07:20 PM
Well, anime is a cartoon, technically, but I would classify them as anime just because it's a Japanese cartoon.

Protoman
01-11-2011, 09:37 PM
I wouldn't mind some gin, rye or even some beer.

Anyway i can believe we are fighting on how to say someones name from an 90's series.

I do have a question, is Transformers Victory an Anime or Cartoon?

Victory is an anime. Location of creation and primary airing in Japan aside, it also has all the air cues of stock footage, sweat bubbles, sudden emotion body changes (*getting big when angry and yelling*), SD characters (see in the bumpers and the outro)..... the list goes on and on.

The closest thing that is questionable is Headmasters as it was animated with Sunbow together and thus has that very Season 1-4 flavor and design to it.

Jawz. D
01-11-2011, 11:55 PM
Hey Protoman,
You're wrong about "The Princess Bride". It is an EVERYMOVIE, in an awesome way. You can watch that with your kid and they will watch it from start to end.

I don't see how you could dismiss a movie for being a romantic comedy, adventure, revenge movie with Andre The Giant. It sells itself. :P

powerprime
01-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Victory is an anime. Location of creation and primary airing in Japan aside, it also has all the air cues of stock footage, sweat bubbles, sudden emotion body changes (*getting big when angry and yelling*), SD characters (see in the bumpers and the outro)..... the list goes on and on.

The closest thing that is questionable is Headmasters as it was animated with Sunbow together and thus has that very Season 1-4 flavor and design to it.

Protoman you are correct on all points (i expected nothing less). I was trying to get a debate going and failed completely.

Protoman
01-12-2011, 11:32 PM
Protoman you are correct on all points (i expected nothing less). I was trying to get a debate going and failed completely.

It's ok, when the sky is blue, it's blue. Welcome to the boards by the by.

The 12th Prime
01-26-2011, 03:34 PM
Awesome job guys, a very informative episode. Keep on Slaggin'!

Nemesis Predaking
02-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Yeah , I know I'm way behind.
Somebody place a warning the next time Daniel decides to sign a Japanese TF Theme song.

GODDAMMIT, I was just starting to get over the horror from TFCon.