PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Slag Episode 41 - The Third Party Paradigm Shift

GMfan
10-18-2010, 01:15 PM
This episode will somewhat break our usual mold of looking at the official and taking a look at the unofficial third party garage kit companies and some of the products they've been able to slip out to the market in the last few years, and how they went from obscure to coveted. This round of what's in a name? looks at the 1985 toy release characters, and we further break the metaphorical mold when we talk about voice actor Chris Latta (Starscream/Wheeljack) in our getting to know segment. Lastly, what the hell were they thinking with the Reveal the Shield subline?!

Episode 41 - The Third Party Paradigm Shift (http://www.cybertron.ca/podcast/Canadian%20Slag%2041%20-%20The%20Third%20Party%20Paradigm%20Shift.mp3)
Host: Daniel w/ Chris, and Phil
- Third party company discussion
- What's in a name? 1985
- Getting to know Chris Latta
- What the hell were they thinking?! with the Reveal the Shield subline?!

DOWNLOAD NOW! (http://www.cybertron.ca/podcast/Canadian%20Slag%2041%20-%20The%20Third%20Party%20Paradigm%20Shift.mp3)
(Click the link to play in browser or right click and save if you wish to download outside of iTunes)

RATE AND REVIEW US ON iTUNES! (http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/cybertron-ca-canadian-transformers/id337471858)

bedtime
10-18-2010, 02:06 PM
oh man i was so hoping you'd do the third party thing! cant wait to listen to this one.

Mighty_Galvatron
10-18-2010, 03:21 PM
Another one - wow! Keep it coming guys I can't wait to listen.

Cheers Ian
10-18-2010, 07:48 PM
http://deadon.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/mono-rail.jpg

GMfan
10-18-2010, 08:08 PM
http://deadon.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/mono-rail.jpg

LMFAO....Daniel is the monorail guy....

Cheers Ian
10-18-2010, 08:15 PM
I instantly thought of that scene when Daniel said

"Train means Train"

Protoman
10-18-2010, 09:50 PM
I can't be the Monorail guy, why?

<Kid 1> Is the Monorail faster then the Flash?
<Kid 2> Is Superman faster then the Flash?!
<Monorail Guy> Uhhhhh sure.

No one is faster then my Flash.

CobraCommander
10-18-2010, 10:02 PM
Good episode, I enjoyed the getting to know and the what's in a name sections. http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/5382/3804167271ffb7f91690.jpg

GMfan
10-18-2010, 10:03 PM
I wonder why.... :P

Stapler
10-18-2010, 10:41 PM
I'm really looking forward to giving this a listen tomorrow. :)

STI 2NV
10-18-2010, 11:13 PM
lol camshafts

TMIIWonkoNemises
10-19-2010, 08:41 AM
I'm really looking forward to giving this a listen tomorrow. :)

Same here.I was going to listen to this yesterday (Mostly the Chris Latta segment) but stuff to do,but don't worry boys,you're still in my thoughts ;)

CyberMnky
10-19-2010, 02:50 PM
Not that I don't trust your judgement - But I was also under the assumption that the Generations and HFTD lines were merging into the RvS line to make room for TF3.

My biggest beef with the RvS is the whole (rub the rubsign to find out the allegiance of the bots." Or you know, turn the box around and look on the back...
That's why the fronts don't have the faction signs and they have "Special Ops Jazz" as opposed to Autobot Jazz

GMfan
10-19-2010, 08:56 PM
Not that I don't trust your judgement - But I was also under the assumption that the Generations and HFTD lines were merging into the RvS line to make room for TF3.

As far as I can tell Generations wave 5 will be coming out in December, round the same time wave 1 of Reveal the Shield will be popping up and there seems to be more Generations figures in the pipeline after that...

Supernova
10-19-2010, 10:12 PM
As someone who doesn't really know much about the people behind the voices, I really appreciated the segment on Chris Latta. Wonderfully done!

As for Reveal the Shield, Hasbro can call it whatever it wants. Anything that gives me the opportunity to get those fantastic figures coming down the line (as well as Battle in Space), is great by me.

(And besides, if it wasn't for the "mystery faction" gimmick, would we have ever got a hilariously awful name in Solar Storm Grappel?) :D

chans formers
10-19-2010, 11:17 PM
i completely forgot about the binaltech weapons upgrade.
i wanted that set soooooo bad but couldn't get my mitts on it.
i settled for making my own weapons:(:rolleyes::D

the first segment about the third party seemed somewhat long,but the sheer amount of info in there was crazy!!

now who's got a f/p cliffjumper set for sale?:primelaugh:

bedtime
10-19-2010, 11:59 PM
^^^i honestly wanted to hear MORE on third party stuff! i'm KIND of familiar with the FP stuff but was hoping to hear more stuff on other things that may have passed me by...

Stapler
10-20-2010, 12:17 AM
Another solid episode guys! The discussion on the third party stuff was very interesting while the Getting To Know on Latta was actually pretty touching.

I gotta say that I'm not too big on the "What's in a Name" section because I always found the character names for transformers to be pretty self explanatory since they usually are a reference to the characters personality, alt-mode, weaponry, or tech-specs. But you guys really seem to enjoy the topic and your enthusiasm is enough to keep me enjoying the segment. :)

Always looking forward to my next fix of Canadian Slag, keep 'em coming, guys! :D

Robimus
10-20-2010, 02:05 AM
I think this is one of the best episodes you guys have done. Great job.

The Chris Latta retrospect was awesome. I learned a great deal. The Third Party talk is very relevent and you guys nailed it!

I have a couple ammendments, well one addition and one correction for the "Whats in a Name" segment.

The addition is for Beachcomber. You guys neglected to mention that his alt mode is a Dune Buggy, which by definition is a recreational vehicle designed for use on sand dunes or beaches. I think that likely had a big part in where his name comes from as well as his fiction.

The correction is on Top Spin. Sorry Protoman, your baseball knowledge did not impress:p Your description of what top spin kinda is was accurate, and I agree that the name was very clever for that Transformer.

Top spin is a term used in sports like tennis and racket ball, which causes the ball to basically curve by hitting it with a slight upward motion whcih puts that forward tumble on the ball.

A baseball knuckleball on the other hand is a pitch that has no spin whatso-ever and basically creates the optical illusion of a floating baseball. When perfectly thrown all the hitter and catcher sees is the un-tumbling seams of the ball.

I had the oppurtunity to catch someone that could throw the occasional knuckleball, and its freaking bizarre:p

Great job none the less, that was a lot of names to look into and some of the takes on certain names I hadn't considered.

Man, I never knew Chris Latta was on Married with Children.:)

TMIIWonkoNemises
10-20-2010, 10:50 AM
Listening to the Podcast now.Nice segment on the Third Party guys.I looked into FansProject's stuff recently and though I would love to have those upgrade kits and some new TFs as well,it is the price point that continues to put me off from them entirely (Not to mention that they have to be purchased Online,a concept I'm not down on),but even if it's tangible (Like the TFCon 09 exclusive) the price point still puts me off.Ah well,I'm content with what I got and will get,that's the perks of being a Casual Fan.

Wait,they're making another Roadbuster?Damn.

A Third Party has Quintessons?Where?Who?Tell me!!!

The new Names segment was a bit better than the last one,but it still is vague on some parts.Camshafts....argh!That's a character I'll never use now,thanks Chris and Daniel :P

On Shockwave:A shaking thing...don't you mean a vibration?

Wow,the Chris Latta segment was amazing.Enough said.

I agree with Chris on the many sublines coming out,but I also agree with Daniel on the reason why this is occurring.One of the solutions I have to place certain TFs is looking at the design aesthetics.Does it have a complex,alien-like aesthetic?Put them in the movie line.Do they have a nostalgic aesthetic?Put them in the Classics/Universe/Generations line.I know it's not what it's supposed to be,but I don't really focus on which toy should be put where.

I do like the rubsigns gimmick they put in recently but I think it won't be long until bootleggers find a way to make their knockoffs more authentic.

Nice Episode guys;better than the last one.

One thing;was it odd that I was using my Economics knowledge to understand the Third Party?
No....okay.

P.S. Daniel should rap more :D

Stapler
10-20-2010, 11:05 AM
I always figures Twintwist got his name because his alt-mode has two similar drills, and drills often feature that twisting detailing. But that's just me. ;)

Shockwave 75
10-20-2010, 02:51 PM
What is this Headmaster/Targetmaster/Brainmaster/Powermaster Overlord you guys are talking about? The only Overlord I'm familiar with is the original from Masterforce, who was a double Powermaster.
AFAIK he wasn't any other kind of "___Master" at all, nor did he have a gun mode.

Protoman
10-20-2010, 05:50 PM
I always figures Twintwist got his name because his alt-mode has two similar drills, and drills often feature that twisting detailing. But that's just me. ;)

Hmmm that's true....... I will agree with that

Stapler
10-21-2010, 12:04 PM
What is this Headmaster/Targetmaster/Brainmaster/Powermaster Overlord you guys are talking about? The only Overlord I'm familiar with is the original from Masterforce, who was a double Powermaster.
AFAIK he wasn't any other kind of "___Master" at all, nor did he have a gun mode.

I think they were talking about Armada Overload. His mini-con forms the head of the robot, can turn into a gun. :)

Mighty_Galvatron
10-21-2010, 03:56 PM
I remember driving behind a mixing truck a while back and noticing that it said "Mixmaster" on the back. I was wondering what that was all about lol. I thought the driver may be a huge TF fan, but now I know the truth.

Protoman
10-21-2010, 05:28 PM
I remember driving behind a mixing truck a while back and noticing that it said "Mixmaster" on the back. I was wondering what that was all about lol. I thought the driver may be a huge TF fan, but now I know the truth.

There is another similar example to that when I get around to doing 1986, I have to admit, 1985 was boring for names on a WHOLE (I ain't saying they suck, I am saying for my segment, they don't give anything interesting with a few exceptions like Top Spin and so on). 1986 has a lot of interesting ones. Stay turned.

GMfan
10-23-2010, 12:59 AM
besides, if it wasn't for the "mystery faction" gimmick, would we have ever got a hilariously awful name in Solar Storm Grappel?

Good point...these names may be the tip of the iceberg of humourous name which we may one day cover in another "what the hell were they thinking?!"

now who's got a f/p cliffjumper set for sale?:primelaugh:

There was a KO set made of it...but I haven't heard the greatest reviews from it. Looking into doing a head swap with the up coming WFC Cliffjumper but I doubt the red/aesthetic will match in anyway shape or form.

Sorry Protoman, your baseball knowledge did not impress:p

Ok....your baseball knowledge impresses me

I said Overload...bricky toy but has something special about him despite seeming lame

Really was much better as the Ultra Magnus repaint in Energon, nicer colours and paint apps.

keanu577
10-27-2010, 11:23 PM
How long is this ep? It seems like it would take me 2 hours!

Protoman
10-27-2010, 11:48 PM
Oddly it's one of the shorter ones.

GMfan
10-27-2010, 11:50 PM
Bout an hour and forty minutes...

chans formers
10-28-2010, 02:15 AM
that's what i thought too,"twin twisting drills",although i never could figure out why they named his bro topspin?neither "top" or "spin" fits with a pontoon looking hovercraft flying door stop alt mode.