PDA

View Full Version : Boxes

CBII
03-04-2010, 09:25 PM
This will probably sound stupid...but what do you with your boxes?

I've been saving them but after packing away a huge Supreme Devy and Unicron box it chews up a lot of space.

I'm starting to want to recycle them all...including the 20th anniversary Prime box.

Mighty_Galvatron
03-04-2010, 09:28 PM
Garrrrr!

To quote GMfan101, burn them, send them to hell.

Shockwave 75
03-04-2010, 10:01 PM
A little while back I made this very same query over on the Allspark and included a poll. Here was the result:

Any boxes from G1 through to the Beast era I kept. As well as anything rare, exclusive, or foreign.
Everythign else, I clipped any tech specs, saved the instructions, and tossed the boxes. I had a huge bag of recycling as a result.

I was very freeing.

Every collector wants to keep the boxes for potential re-sale value, but let's face it, with very few exceptions, most of the stuff from the last decade really won't be worth very much on the secondary market until probably 30 years from now. And with the secondary market being much more aware of what stuff is worth, there will be tons of MIB/MISB/MOSC stuff from the last decade around for a very long time.

In fact there will probably be so much MIB stuff that you would likely stand a better chance of re-selling your stuff loose/complete for slightly less than what all the MIB-ers are selling for.

Really, even that far in the future the only things that will still really be worth anything MIB, sealed or not, will really only be G1's & G2's. Maybe BW stuff too.

Sun Swipe Prime
03-04-2010, 10:17 PM
This will probably sound stupid...but what do you with your boxes?

I've been saving them but after packing away a huge Supreme Devy and Unicron box it chews up a lot of space.

I'm starting to want to recycle them all...including the 20th anniversary Prime box.

With those huge boxes, I stuff other boxes and stuff into them.

GMfan
03-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Garrrrr!

To quote GMfan101, burn them, send them to hell.

To quote him, quoting me, burn them, send them to hell.

Protoman
03-04-2010, 10:38 PM
Card backs - Get rid of the bubble and keep the cards, saves MAD space. Then take the Unicron box and STORE THEM ALL in it.

Boxes - Flatten them, for boxes with odd shapes (Armada, Cybertron, Movieverse), try your best but they will still warp.

Tekkamanraiden
03-04-2010, 11:08 PM
Recycled except for the figures still in a box.

pulsedragon20
03-04-2010, 11:26 PM
Card backs - Get rid of the bubble and keep the cards, saves MAD space. Then take the Unicron box and STORE THEM ALL in it.

Boxes - Flatten them, for boxes with odd shapes (Armada, Cybertron, Movieverse), try your best but they will still warp.

This is exactly what I do, except the ones that i want to remain MIB of MISB

I use my Unicron box as well (and i though i was the only one), until it couldn't take it and then i use Energon Omega Supreme, Cybertron SS, Primus, Costco exclusive Cybertron (RID) UM and OP boxes

Dragon Knight
03-04-2010, 11:53 PM
I throw them out...usually

If i really like the design or box art, I'll keep them. This usually only applies with Japanese boxes though.

Recently though I use boxes to store accessories

UltraMarknus
03-05-2010, 12:15 AM
Unless its G1 or MP, I recycle it. I store what I have in a walk in closet in our spare bedroom/computer room/Transformers room/baby stuff while baby is still in my wifes belly room/room awesome.

brr-icy
03-05-2010, 12:22 AM
unless i like the box, i recycle it

Ozrein
03-05-2010, 12:31 AM
I do the same with the carded figures. Take the bubble off and chuck it. Keep the card and any stuff just inside the bubble.

Most boxes get cut up to save character art and the back of the box. The only boxes I keep intact are for the MPs... and of course the one titanium Prime/Megatron set that I have MISB.

Code of Honor
03-05-2010, 12:45 AM

This is exactly what I've done. I have all the boxes from my supreme figures and put card backs and other flattened boxes in them. The bottom drawer of my dresser is also filled with even more flattened boxes.

Shockwave 75
03-05-2010, 12:59 AM
I just don't want to end up on "Hoarders".

chovner
03-05-2010, 02:08 AM
All the boxes for stuff i've bought over the last few years i have stashed away downstairs out of the way so for now i'll keep them all. Once i move this summer i'll have even more room so i'm sure i'll keep them all forever

Hobbyist Prime
03-05-2010, 03:28 AM
I recently had to deal with this issue and had a thread set up! I bit the bullet and flattened everything except the good condition g1 and japanese boxes and now store and entire crawlspace worth of boxes in one big box.

Richter
03-05-2010, 05:03 AM
I recycle anything USDM

CBII
03-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the responses guys.

I'd have to agree with reselling a figure as loose complete at just a little less then MIB. The difference wouldn't be that much.

I like the folding the boxes up idea. I'll do that and get it all into the unicron box.

I'm assuming that everyone is recycling the plastic inserts/kibble that most figures are twist tied to?

chovner
03-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the responses guys.

I'd have to agree with reselling a figure as loose complete at just a little less then MIB. The difference wouldn't be that much.

I like the folding the boxes up idea. I'll do that and get it all into the unicron box.

I'm assuming that everyone is recycling the plastic inserts/kibble that most figures are twist tied to?

i throw them in the Ocean when i go on vacation :D

Shockwave 75
03-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Yes, I am. Though apparently we're not supposed to. Last I heard they're supposedly made out of an un-recyclable palstic.

Whatever.

I just recycle it and let the guys at the recylcling plant deal with it.

TMIIWonkoNemises
03-05-2010, 01:38 PM

Would've done that if my box didn't have a hole on it:rolleyes:

Anyway,I save some of the boxes in case of moving.This way,my toys can be well preserved and I can induce less paranoia if they are some random box my parents drop them in.

soundwaveCA
03-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Hasbro stuff went right in the trash, Takara/Tomy stuff I keep.

And no packaging is not recyclable so dont even bother, not that you people will listen.

Darth Wave
03-05-2010, 01:44 PM
WHAT.... dude you got it all wrong! Toss the toy and keep all the boxes.

Goaliebot
03-05-2010, 02:14 PM

This +1. For me, instructions out and in their own box. Cardbacks, remove everything but the card, only keep one of each unique card (i.e. when we get generic cardbacks here in Canada, only need one of each).

Boxes: Instructions out and into instructions box, packaging innards out and into recycling. Flatten outer box and put in cardback/flattened box storage box.

I'm not even sure why I keep the cardbacks and flattened outer boxes, really. Can't put the figures back in, and almost every fig I buy gets at least some custom paint applications so...
But I also know that if I do take the plunge to get rid of them, all I do is put out the cardback/flattened box storage box out on the curb for pickup - done. :)

Benzo
03-05-2010, 02:33 PM
I throw them all out except for MP boxes and exclusives.

Stapler
03-05-2010, 03:30 PM
And no packaging is not recyclable so dont even bother, not that you people will listen.

Trust me, I'm tempted not to recycle out of sheer spite. My province makes you sort your trash and recyclables and limits how many bags you can put out on trash day (very unfair for larger families). Throw in a fine for the most silly things like forgetting to separate a piece of the plastic on the top of a tissue box (yes, they will inspect your garbage), and you get pretty hateful about recycling. The worst part? That the people in the recycle center expect you to help them do their job when you drop off bottles. :mad:

Anyway, I just cut up a bunch of the packaging that I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep or not. More than an hour later my Unicron box is full of card backs and parts of larger boxes. Thanks to that tip from Protoman I now have a whole extra shelf to work with for my display.:D