PDA

View Full Version : Buying Transformers online can be educational to your children!

jourdo
02-14-2010, 01:09 PM
We were quizzing our little guy about our phone number recently (good thing for kids to know). We ask him if he knows our address... and not too bad he has the house number and street address. My 7 year old then pipes up with our postal code. My wife and I have never told her our postal code. We ask her how she knows that. She says she sees it on all the packages that dad get.

Both a Yay/D'oh moment for me. But mostly "yay".

So there you go. Educate your kids people. Order more things online! Just make sure they don't rat you out in front of your significant other. ;)

Malwave
02-14-2010, 01:21 PM
xD

"okay son, what's his name?"

"Opimus Prime"

"Good lad! ^^ Now, can you spell his name?"

"....no...:("

XDD yeah, I think I can teach my son how to spell with Transformers

Nocturn
02-14-2010, 01:40 PM
But does he know the quadrant?

That's highly important, anytime relatives visit they can't figure the fuck out how there's 4 stinkin quadrants.

Malwave
02-14-2010, 01:44 PM
personal experience talking I take it dude?

wait...what's a quadrant? O_o like math quadrant?

Nocturn
02-14-2010, 01:45 PM
People are stupid if they can't figure out NE/NW/SW/SE. It's easy.

Malwave
02-14-2010, 01:52 PM
OOOH

XD I have trouble with that too

ARCTrooperAlpha
02-14-2010, 02:23 PM
We were quizzing our little guy about our phone number recently (good thing for kids to know). We ask him if he knows our address... and not too bad he has the house number and street address. My 7 year old then pipes up with our postal code. My wife and I have never told her our postal code. We ask her how she knows that. She says she sees it on all the packages that dad get.

Both a Yay/D'oh moment for me. But mostly "yay".

So there you go. Educate your kids people. Order more things online! Just make sure they don't rat you out in front of your significant other. ;)

That's one sharp kid you got there man! I'll bet she'll turn out to be gifted :D

Shepp
02-15-2010, 02:26 PM
Hell, I more or less learned to spell from the words written on Atari cartridges.

I didn't connect the symbols with phonetic sounds, but I recognized the differences between them.

So yeah, there are lots of unorthodox ways of learning information.

Through Transformers, kids can learn many concepts about space, mechanical design, problem solving, environmental concerns, geography, moral and ethical choices, interspecies and interracial relations, disabilities, and a whole other wide range of topics.

I mean it isn't a replacement for formal education or factual information, but it can be enough to get a concept across or spark interest in a topic.

Shepp
02-15-2010, 02:38 PM
But does he know the quadrant?

That's highly important, anytime relatives visit they can't figure the fuck out how there's 4 stinkin quadrants.

But quadrants in relation to what reference point? Center of the city? Center of the ward district? Center of the region? Province?

I've never needed to put down quadrant for any sort of address form, and I've never needed it for driving directions.

I've found cardinal directions much more useful than quadrants.

Maybe I just haven't run across the same situations as you have. Care to enlighten me on where I might really need to use this?

No knowledge is useless. And I should probably know when I'll need to use the info before I suddenly find myself stuck.

Nocturn
02-15-2010, 02:53 PM
But quadrants in relation to what reference point? Center of the city? Center of the ward district? Center of the region? Province?

I've never needed to put down quadrant for any sort of address form, and I've never needed it for driving directions.

I've found cardinal directions much more useful than quadrants.

Maybe I just haven't run across the same situations as you have. Care to enlighten me on where I might really need to use this?

No knowledge is useless. And I should probably know when I'll need to use the info before I suddenly find myself stuck.

The city. Split up by major arteries (n/s is the river, in the south it's divided by Mac trail). Calgary requires it, much so.

Shepp
02-15-2010, 03:05 PM
The city. Split up by major arteries (n/s is the river, in the south it's divided by Mac trail). Calgary requires it, much so.

Ah. Good to know. There's clear geographical boundaries there so its something that should just be common knowledge to everyone in Calgary.

Dark Rage
02-15-2010, 03:14 PM
Most of the Canada doesn't have that Quadrant feature, it's quite predominant in Calgary, and maybe a few other Albertan towns/cities (like Edmonton).

And this was right on Valentine's day? Oh jourdo, how did you not get a lashing that day? haha