PDA

View Full Version : MP Grimlock VS MP Grimlock

Mighty_Galvatron
02-04-2010, 01:43 PM
I searched for a thread that might have touched on this topic but could not locate one (honestly, I apologize if it already exists).

When I get my income tax back I am going to pick up a MP Grimlock. But I am not totally decided on which version to get. I am leaning toward the original because I like his colour scheme much more than the King version. That video review from TFSource was very helpful but I still can't make up my mind. I see pros and cons for both versions of Grimlock.

For those of you who own any version, what are your thoughts?

Mumps
02-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Buy whichever one you like the colours of best.

I have the normal version, and it's great! Fits in perfectly with other G1 figures. King Grimlock looks a bit too shiney to fit in well, however... He is King, there is no need for him to "fit in" :D

I really want the King version for the crown and the excellent looking paint apps. However, regular Grimlock was SOOOO much cheaper, so thats where I drew the line myself.

Team Jetfire
02-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Honestly, if you like the old color scheme and you open the box, go with this one:

http://www.automatontoys.com/item.asp?noJouet=AUTMP08_GrimlockDAM

Edit: sold out...but still better price :)

The other one is $100 more and comes with less stuff.

Evan
02-04-2010, 02:09 PM
I like King myself, however I'm going to wait and see what Hasbro comes up with.

Prowl_2009
02-04-2010, 02:23 PM
Just buy the one you prefer more. There really aren't a whole lot of differances between the pair.

Whisky Tango Foxtrot
02-04-2010, 02:26 PM
I'm pretty sure Hasbro's already announced that the MP Grimlock mould is getting a North American release. Might be best to wait and see what comes of that before spending the money on an import.

EDIT: Here's the article (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generation-1-1/masterpiece-grimlock-coming-to-the-us-in-2010-animated-arcee-released-spring-2010-168674/page2.html) where the US release of MP Grimlock was announced.

tusko
02-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Yes but the Hasbro version will most likely lack Chrome and be all plastic.

I have the first version and the duller gray and bronze fit the dirty fighter Grimlock is supposed to be. King Grimlock looks really nice and would be a good display piece but may not fit with a broader collection.

Prowl_2009
02-04-2010, 02:47 PM
I'm pretty sure Hasbro's already announced that the MP Grimlock mould is getting a North American release. Might be best to wait and see what comes of that before spending the money on an import.

EDIT: Here's the article (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generation-1-1/masterpiece-grimlock-coming-to-the-us-in-2010-animated-arcee-released-spring-2010-168674/page2.html) where the US release of MP Grimlock was announced.

I just want it to get here soon, I am suffering from MP-Grimlock withdrawl and it's killing me. :rolleyes:

Whisky Tango Foxtrot
02-04-2010, 02:57 PM
Personally, I'm planning to wait for the Hybrid Style dinobots that Justitoys's announced. What good is a Grimlock without a Slag, Sludge, Swoop and Snarl for him to lead?

pulsedragon20
02-04-2010, 03:50 PM
I just want it to get here soon, I am suffering from MP-Grimlock withdrawl and it's killing me. :rolleyes:

x2 :D

Prowl_2009
02-04-2010, 03:58 PM
^^ I just have no idea how much longer I can last without an MP-Grimlock of my very own and without the $200 price tag. :p

Shockwave 75
02-04-2010, 06:09 PM
Dude, just get the normal one, and the buy the upgrade set from Fansproject. You get the crown, a mug from MacAddams Ol' Oilhouse, and I tiny Thrust to clench in his jaws al la the '85 opening sequence. It's less than $20.

I have the regular MP Gimlock, and I can't wait to get the crown set.

Watari
02-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Yeah that is a good idea buying the regular MP Grimlock and get the IGear-TF0003 MP Grimlock upgrade kit without having to buy the new MP Grimlock.

Speaking of the MP Grimlock crown kit, too bad there isn't any crown kit for the classics grimlock, I mean if classics Starscream gets a coronation kit why not same for Grimlock but with crown and mug. *shrugs*

Mighty_Galvatron
02-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Dude, just get the normal one, and the buy the upgrade set from Fansproject. You get the crown, a mug from MacAddams Ol' Oilhouse, and I tiny Thrust to clench in his jaws al la the '85 opening sequence. It's less than $20.

I have the regular MP Gimlock, and I can't wait to get the crown set.

Sold.:)

Thanks a lot for the input everyone. I'm getting the original + the upgrade pack. Case closed.

Richter
02-04-2010, 10:57 PM
I really really want that king set :(

If it ever dips below $200, it's mine

Shockwave 75
02-12-2010, 03:09 PM
Sold.:)

Thanks a lot for the input everyone. I'm getting the original + the upgrade pack. Case closed.

I really really want that king set :(

If it ever dips below $200, it's mine
Word to the wise, the King Grimlock figure doesn't come with all the accessories that the original MP-08 does, all you get is the gun, sword, and crown. No bow-tie, drinks/serving tray, or apron.
And before anybody says "who cares?", you've obviously never put them on him, he looks friggin awsome in his waiter gear!

Also, I just recieved my MP-08 upgrade set, it's really cool, but the crown doesn't fit quite right. I had to take the dremmel to it to get it to sit on his head properly. But now he looks awesome!

Pic quality isn't the best, I had to use my cell phone, the wife absconded with the camera.

soundwaveCA
02-12-2010, 03:16 PM
The Takara/Tomy stuff will always be nicer looking but to Hasbro's credit their MP stuff has been pretty good, and if money is an issue is a perfectly acceptable alternative.

As for the King Grimlock they released I'm surprised how many people like that version.

beretta
02-12-2010, 03:43 PM
Regular Grimlock is all kinds of amazing. I don't like the blue on the King version. Also, feels too bright and chromey, the regular one has just the right amount of chrome on it.

Richter
02-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Word to the wise, the King Grimlock figure doesn't come with all the accessories that the original MP-08 does, all you get is the gun, sword, and crown. No bow-tie, drinks/serving tray, or apron.
And before anybody says "who cares?", you've obviously never put them on him, he looks friggin awsome in his waiter gear!

Also, I just recieved my MP-08 upgrade set, it's really cool, but the crown doesn't fit quite right. I had to take the dremmel to it to get it to sit on his head properly. But now he looks awesome!

Pic quality isn't the best, I had to use my cell phone, the wife absconded with the camera.

I've already got the regular grimlock, but I'm a MP completist, so not having the king is an itch only a blinged out t-rex can scratch!

Shockwave 75
02-12-2010, 04:44 PM
In other words, you're a glutton for punishment!

Richter
02-12-2010, 05:41 PM
As a toy collector is I'm a glutton for punishment, especially if I have to describe my hobbies to a girl at the bar

Shockwave 75
02-13-2010, 04:09 PM
I'd just let her find out when she came back to my place. Why increase the odds that you may not get any in the first place?

chovner
02-18-2010, 01:36 PM
As a toy collector is I'm a glutton for punishment, especially if I have to describe my hobbies to a girl at the bar

I'm sure when you show her that the giant t-rex over your bed transforms into a giant robot, her panties will be off before you even put that sword in his hand.. :| or... nor?//

Pascal
02-18-2010, 09:15 PM

Highly doubtful. The only chromed figure from the series (Prime) still retained all the chrome from the original Takara release. And all the Hasbro MP figures kept the die-content intact. Maybe teeth and claws won't be as sharp, but that's about it.

JaySmith
02-18-2010, 09:20 PM

ORLY? Looks chromed to me....

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/attach/4/0/5/9/7/Me-Grimlock_1266180962.jpg

Prowl_2009
02-19-2010, 10:06 AM
Highly doubtful. The only chromed figure from the series (Prime) still retained all the chrome from the original Takara release. And all the Hasbro MP figures kept the die-content intact. Maybe teeth and claws won't be as sharp, but that's about it.

Agreed!

Turkish
08-20-2010, 07:38 AM
Hey all, first post here, so don't rail on my if i'm repeating something....

Finally got my ToysRUS MP Grimlock (Hasbro), I've noticed his paint aps are different than the Takara one (after watching Peaugh's review of his Takara MP08 figure) and I think I enjoy the hasbro version more....actually has more paint apps, the red and white on the dino legs/ bot arms, the black surround on the silver crotch paint app, the silver paint hihglights on his thighs, the gold boot tips vs Takara's grey/silver app.... and all the chrome/gold are the same on boht from wha I can see..... Thought once I compared the two I'd be a bit sad, but I was wrong.....what do ya'll thnk?

S.O.N.
08-20-2010, 06:42 PM
I have the Takara version. It has multiple areas where nice quality chrome apps are on it and it has nice colors near perfect to the G1 Grimmy's color scheme.

I saw the KING one with all that ungodly chrome - yuck! I like chrome but not THAT much.

The American version (in my opinion) is one that I am ONLY going to get just to custom repaint otherwise I wouldn't give it a second glance :(

Takara all the way! I must admit, the only Hasbro figure I really like over Takare is the Leader Starscream with his tats.

Turkish
08-21-2010, 08:12 AM
Hey S.O.N., Grimlock aside, I looked at your customs, hotdamn you gotz some skillz!! May have to commision you to do sme work for me....um maybe the new Fansproject Crossfire XF-02A/B that I just ordered...

Me.Grimlock.King
08-21-2010, 09:20 AM
I have the takara and hasbro versions and the biggest difference are the items you get with each version. Hasbro has a crown and takara has an apron and dinner set (shown in one of the g1 shows). Either one is great looking but I am a little bias as per my namesake.