PDA

View Full Version : question about G1 technobot strafe.

signofzeta
01-29-2010, 01:36 PM
How do you transform strafe into a leg? Even if he was a leg, how do you make him so that lightspeed or nosecone can be the other leg for computron?

Does this make the Technobots a pseudo scramble city combiner?

I have tried many combinations with strafe as the leg, and the only one who can be the other leg is afterburner.

The problem is that the front wings on strafe get in the way. I know he is supposed to be an arm, but I like to have many options for my combiners. Strafe can be a leg, as long as afterburner is the other one.

But, I also want to make it so lightspeed or nosecone is the other leg, when strafe is a leg.

JLvatron
01-29-2010, 01:45 PM
How do the front wings effect his connection to the foot piece?

signofzeta
01-29-2010, 01:55 PM
How do the front wings effect his connection to the foot piece?

I can make strafe as a leg no problem. But I want to know if I am doing something wrong that might get the front wings to get in the way of lightspeed or nosecone when they are the other leg.

Afterburner is more thin at the top when he is a leg, which is why there is enough room for strafe to be the other leg. Lightspeed and Nosecone are much more fat, which means that strafe has no room to be the other leg. I want to know if there is a way to get strafe as one leg, and either lightspeed or nosecone as the other one.

JLvatron
01-29-2010, 02:07 PM
Hmmm, without having him in front of me I don't think you're doing anything wrong. As I viewed on TFU, his front wings add width and can't be folded away.

Can you back the leg and advance the other to make room? if you attach Strafe's head already at a bent angle will it work?

Sun Swipe Prime
01-29-2010, 02:34 PM
There's not much you can do about the front wings. the back one's fold back. Anything short of chopping them off probably won't do you any good. The Technobot's connectors are scramble city connectors. They can fit on anywhere and with any other combiner, but I guess, there are optimal configurations.

JLvatron
01-29-2010, 05:03 PM
There's not much you can do about the front wings. the back one's fold back. Anything short of chopping them off probably won't do you any good. The Technobot's connectors are scramble city connectors. They can fit on anywhere and with any other combiner, but I guess, there are optimal configurations.

Yes.
But again, Can you back the leg and advance the other to make room? if you attach Strafe's head already at a bent angle will it work?

GMfan
01-29-2010, 05:05 PM
Does this make the Technobots a pseudo scramble city combiner?

The Technobots were never "Scramble City" combiners anyway.

signofzeta
01-29-2010, 05:07 PM
I dunno man, computron is such a mystery to me. Well not really, Strafe is the one who is a mystery. It seems that to plug him in normally onto any scramble city torso as a leg, his leg partner has to be afterburner. I haven't tried plugging in the aerialbots, the stunticons, the terrorcons, the seacons, the combaticons, nor the protectobots as the other leg, but I'm pretty sure that to make the scramble city combiner to stand up straight with strafe as one leg, afterburner as to be the other.

Wait. I lied. Blades can be strafe's leg partner too. I assume first aid can work, but I'm not sure.

And speaking of wings, in bruticus maximus, if you try to attach 2 helicopters as legs, it just won't work. It takes skill to make him stand up. I guess some of these combiners aren't that customizable.

The Technobots were never "Scramble City" combiners anyway.

If they were not, then how come nosecone can bend his head down as if he was an arm? Computron and Abominus are obviously scramble city combiners, or should I say, square peg in a square hole combiner. Or in case of the energon maximus combiners, octogonal peg into an octogonal hole.

JLvatron
01-29-2010, 05:24 PM
He's referring to the original Japanese "Scramble City" toys.
The Technobots weren't part of them, but they are similar. (same combining design)

GMfan
01-29-2010, 05:26 PM
He's referring to the original Japanese "Scramble City" toys.
The Technobots weren't part of them, but they are similar. (same combining design)

This. They were designed with the same idea but weren't Scramble City combiners.

signofzeta
01-29-2010, 05:32 PM
This. They were designed with the same idea but weren't Scramble City combiners.

hmm it's quite a shame though. But I'm just want to know if I'm doing something wrong to make lightspeed or nosecone not fit as the other leg, and still be able to make computron stand up straight.

I normally have 2 combinations for each of these 5 member combiners anyway. For the square peg in square hole combiners, except for piranacon, whom I don't have, I normally do this.

I combine them to their default positions from the G1 cartoon. For the alternate combinations, I do this:

Right arm becomes left leg and vice versa, and left arm becomes right leg and vice versa. Kind of how ruination is like when the tank and jeep are arms.

So this means that for superion for example, slingshot and skydive are never leg partners. Slingshot always pairs up with fireflight. Groove being a motorcycle, which is thin compared to cars or ambulances, should make a better arm, but when looking at how the toy is built, groove is a better leg. When he becomes an arm, I just can't describe it. Blades makes a meh leg, but if you know how to position his rotor blades correctly, in my case, I make it look like a V, he makes a decent leg.

I guess the problem with the maximus combiners, well at least bruticus maximus is the same when strafe is a leg. I can never get him to stand properly, even in any cofiguration because there is just isn't enough clearance space between his legs, and that the feet have to be at an angle for it to stand.

Ok another question I would ask is, are the aerialbots, protectobots, stunticons and combaticons part of another toyline? How about the technobots and terrorcons? Because when I look at how the toys are built, the technobots and terrorcons seem to be different, as in the plastic quality is different from the other 4 combiner teams. Not to mention that I don't think there are metal versions of the technobots and terrorcons.

So does this mean that the technobots and terrorcons are hasbro/takara's attempt to make a brand new square peg in square hole combiner into the transformers franchise that isn't from a different franchise?

Isn't everything from the 1987 movie onwards a transformers toy that isn't from another toyline? Maybe except metroplex and trypticon.

JLvatron
01-29-2010, 06:24 PM
So this means that for superion for example, slingshot and skydive are never leg partners.

I don't blame Skydive, Slingshot is too much of a blabbermouth.

But your questions are interesting.:cool:

Shepp
02-01-2010, 05:03 PM
I would say this is a design oversight.

The original intention for the Scramble City style combiners were that the limbs were all interchangeable: Aerialbots, Protectobots, Stunticons, Combaticons.

Although some combinations make for a tight fit, I think everything's possible. Having Vortex and Blastoff both as legs can cause some crowding with their arms, but it is workable.

I don't know if some testing was in place to make sure that the limbs were all interchangeable, but its possible.

Onslaught, Motormaster, Hotspot, and Silverbolt each had base modes that could connect to Metroplex's city mode. The 4 other limbs could connect to Metroplex's knees and shoulders in robot mode. Metroplex was the "Scramble City".

Motormaster and Onslaught also could combine with Trypticon's city mode with the help of some additional pieces.

After that batch, more specialized combiner teams came out: Predacons, Horrorcons, Technobots, Seacons, and I'm always feeling like I'm forgetting one.

Though these toys used the exact same method of connection, and potentially could swap limbs, I think they were designed with a specific combination in mind. I don't think there was any consideration for limb swapping beyond making sure that the square peg could move so that a leg could be an arm, or arm a leg. So additional combinations were probably an afterthought.

I mean, I've never seen any other combination for Predaking.

edit:

Would it be possible to connect Strafe facing the other way?

signofzeta
02-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Would it be possible to connect Strafe facing the other way?

no. Footplate would get in the way.