PDA

View Full Version : Not impressed with Movie Toys

rid
05-29-2007, 03:22 PM
I bought the SS and Prime Protoform and loved them. But I can't say I'm impressed with the rest. I haven't bought any of them yet. I held the package in my hands and studied them but have not played with any of them. And what I saw discouraged me from buying any of them.

And photo galleries confirm my fears. They look horrible. Maybe the transformation is complex and cool and fun but the robot modes just don't look anywhere as nice as the classics line. I must admit the alt mode are good looing.

Let me give you examples of what I mean but not good looking:

1. Starscream robot mode looks super top heavy.
2. Ironhide robot mode has his hood for a chest
3. Barricade doesn't really have real arms/fists..

All in all, the only toys I plan on buying are both Primes and Megatron.

Benzo
05-29-2007, 03:29 PM
sorry to hear that but I think they're awesome though!

Dave-astator
05-29-2007, 03:50 PM
I haven't seen any of these yet.... :(

soundwaveCA
05-29-2007, 04:48 PM
I would highly reconsider Ironhide. He was my first movie toy I bought back in March off eBay and he is hands down still my favorite and the best from the movie toys thus far.

I agree I think a lot of the deluxes were a bit of a letdown but so far all the Voyager and Leader class figures have blown my socks off, with again Ironhide being the best. Also just to note on Starscream he is WAAAAY better in person, the pic’s don’t do him justice at all.

agesthreeandup
05-29-2007, 05:09 PM
I have not seen any of the larger figures yet but for sure the deluxe ones all seem like a step down in quality and general all around goodness. They don't pose very well and the designs all seem very meh to me.

Spencer.

GMfan
05-29-2007, 05:13 PM
I like the deluxes I know they could be better and each one has at least one major flaw but with some silver paint applied in the right spots bumblebee looks great and I still think the best is yet to come. Prime doesn't transform the same way he does in the movie but the complexity and overall coolness over throws that small detail. Ratchet and Blackout are nice to but Ratchet needs a gun and Blackout should have been bigger (Leader class him Brawl is fine the size he is just needs better arm pegs).

SPLIT LIP
05-29-2007, 05:26 PM
The only mainline figures I wouldn't recommend are Brawl and Wreckage. Everyone else, you should really reconsider.

Leader Prime and Megs are deffinate buys, I'm with you on those.

Team Jetfire
05-29-2007, 06:16 PM
I only have barricade so far and as a whole, I really like him. Very solid vehicle and a good representation of the movie character.

The vehicles are very nice and the Robots feel very beast machiney..which I was a fan of.

Tech Spec
05-29-2007, 07:20 PM
I have not seen any Movie Toys in person yet... so I don't know what to think. Leader Prime I will grab for sure.

Shepp
05-29-2007, 10:07 PM
The only mainline figures I wouldn't recommend are Brawl and Wreckage. Everyone else, you should really reconsider.

unless you want to pop wreckage's head onto brawl. i really should take some pics of my kitbashed movie g2 megatron. so easy to do too.

and yes, brawl's arms are annoying, but after i put the tank treads as shoulder pads, they seem to stay in place better.

wreckage isnt as bad as many people make him out to be. i actually like him more than barricade, bumblebee, regular brawl, and protoform starscream.

Aernaroth
05-29-2007, 10:34 PM
I've played around with some of the real gear figures, and they're really nice. If the movie toys aren't your cup of tea, check them instead.

Dark Rage
05-29-2007, 11:16 PM
*refers to Blackout for sale for a reason*

Although I said I wouldn't get any more Movie figures, I decided to get Brawl and Wreckage.

I'd say Brawl is pretty accurate to an M1 Abrams tank, and Wreckage (Personal Carrier) lacks a gun (just blades) and he always looks hunched. I'm just a sucker for Military vehicle transformers though.

Blackout can't even be held as a helicopter without falling apart, he's craptastic.

Voyager Ironhide is already out? I didn't see him @ Dufferin Mall TRU today, only the Fast Action Battler Ironhide.

General Tekno
05-29-2007, 11:26 PM
Ironhide looks to be my fave, based on the pics I've seen.

And I like Starscream too. (Save the giant gun hands)

The voyagers are gonna be nice to get - I'm glad too that I'm not desperate for repaints.

Pascal
05-29-2007, 11:35 PM
1. Starscream robot mode looks super top heavy.
2. Ironhide robot mode has his hood for a chest
3. Barricade doesn't really have real arms/fists..

All in all, the only toys I plan on buying are both Primes and Megatron.

1. SS is top heavy but poses superbly. A killing machine.

2. Duh, TONS of Transformers have the hood for a chest. What's wrong with that?? And his splits on two at angle, it's even better.

3. Pardon? He has awesome arms and probably the creepiest hands to ever grace a TF.

Slave
05-30-2007, 12:21 AM
I bought Brawl & Jazz... I REALLY Love Brawl, the complexity of the robot mode yet it's fairly easy to transform... I'd say he would be the Best of the serie if it wasnt for his "flimsy" shoulders... like when you have to insert them into the little hole on his side "ribs"... mine for some reason doesnt stay in the hole...

As for Jazz I kinda regret getting him... I was attracked by the way he looks as a robot... but as a car he looks wayyyy too much like a "fisher price" toy :( and as for his robot mode, God I hate his arms, they dont articulate really good... at all almost, and I really dont like his foreamrs... His legs doesnt really bend too good around the knees... Really disapointed in him... cant put him in a "really good" pose.

I've been convinced reading here that Wreckage is a must buy... I really like the way he looked into robot and vehicule mode... but I didnt bought him at first because he didnt looked too complicated to transform... I like complexity... and he looked way too simple.

Now I'm really looking foward into getting Blackout & Optimus voyager... both of those looks fairly complex to transform... am also looking for SS... even tho I dont really like the way he look in robot mode (I still think he looks like Waspbinator from beasties lol) but he seems fun to transform...

rid
05-30-2007, 01:05 AM
1. SS is top heavy but poses superbly. A killing machine.

2. Duh, TONS of Transformers have the hood for a chest. What's wrong with that?? And his splits on two at angle, it's even better.

3. Pardon? He has awesome arms and probably the creepiest hands to ever grace a TF.

1. Well, if that's the case, I may have to reconsider SS.

2. tons of Transformers having the hood for a chest doesn't make any of them look better. It only means tons of them are a total turn off to me. It's just a matter of preference. I find it u-g-l-y!

Oh well, I guess this is one instance where we have to agree to disagree!

jourdo
05-30-2007, 01:23 AM
Barricade is the only deluxe I have picked up and I actually like him. I could have done without that Frenzy thing, but the rest is kind of cool.

I also have Leader Prime, who is teh awesome! One of my favorite transformers ever. Great alt mode, killer bot mode. Wow is all I can say.

As for the rest, I'm still on a wait and see attitude. The rest of the deluxes that I've seen didn't really impress me and voyager Ratchet just looks craptacular to me.

That's all I have seen in person to date.