PDA

View Full Version : Does Megatron still suffer from Cosmic Rust?

UltraPrimal
01-24-2010, 10:01 PM
I was thinking of buying a new MP Megatron to replace my old rusty one, but I'm just concerned. Did they fix the "Cosmic Rust" issue with later releases?

OR alternatively, is there a way to remove the rust and restore it to it's previous shininess?

Shockwave 75
01-25-2010, 02:31 PM
Is it actually rust, or is it just tarnish? I've found with mine that you can polish it off.

Richter
01-25-2010, 03:23 PM
It's just tarnish. I don't think they've fixed it, or ever will. My grimlock has tarnished as well. You can just use silver polish to get it shining again

Shockwave 75
01-26-2010, 06:25 PM
I kinda like it. It looks like his feet are stained with the mech fluid of his victims!

Shepp
01-27-2010, 11:03 AM
I kinda like it. It looks like his feet are stained with the mech fluid of his victims!

More than likely the guts of Ironhide from TFTM.

Robimus
01-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Who did Starscream call "Rusty Pants" ? I can't remember...........

Mighty_Galvatron
01-27-2010, 12:06 PM

Haha awesome.

One of my MP Megs' feet is suffering the cosmic rust...but I do have an unopened replacement foot for him. I cared when I first got him, but now not so much.

Richter
01-27-2010, 05:22 PM
It's probably likely that your replacement foot has tarnished too unless it's sealed airtight or packed in grease!

Mighty_Galvatron
01-27-2010, 05:29 PM
It's probably likely that your replacement foot has tarnished too unless it's sealed airtight or packed in grease!

BEEP! You are incorrect.

It's still in it's original baggie and last time I checked it looked fantastic.

Richter
01-27-2010, 06:26 PM
BEEP! You are incorrect.

It's still in it's original baggie and last time I checked it looked fantastic.

So it's airtight

Oh snap!

Mighty_Galvatron
01-27-2010, 06:28 PM
So it's airtight

Oh snap!

Baggies are not airtight to my knowledge. They're baggies.:D

Richter
01-27-2010, 06:41 PM
relatively airtight
As long as oxygen isn't freely moving across the surface of the metal, it likely won't oxidize.
Of course in a non airtight baggy, oxygen moves over the surface less freely than in open air, so it'll oxidize slower. Probably, all the oxygen in the baggy has reacted with the surface of the metal already, oxidizing it slightly, and no more damage can be done until the oxygen ions are replaced with fresh ones.

I did figure out a solution to those with untarnished figures though: car wax

If you have tarnished figures, use silver polish to clean them up, then coat them in a nice coat of automotive wax. That should give a good enough barrier against rust

Jefro
01-27-2010, 07:17 PM
Don't own a MP Megatron and am not exactly familiar with this issue but I personally would think its the salt/oil on peoples hands. Similar to how rust forms on cars from the acidic reaction of the road salts etc... and not so much from moisture in the air.

Richter
01-27-2010, 09:44 PM
When the water hits the metal, it combines with the air to create carbonic acid. As this acid is created, it breaks the water down into oxygen and hydrogen, and as the electron bonds on the metal are weaker than those in the oxygen, the oxygen 'steals' the electron from the metal creating metal ions. These ions combine with the oxygen to create the stuff that tarnishes our metal.

Corrosion needs three things to happen, an anode to give up electrons, a cathode to accept them, and an electrolyte for the electrons to flow through. Here, megatrons feet act as the anode and cathode, while moisture acts as the electrolyte. The reason why you can stop iron from rusting by using zinc is because its electrons are 'looser' and will give them up easier than iron, so the zinc oxidizes rather than the iron does.

An interesting note as brought up by Jefro, adding salt to water makes it an even better electrolyte, and increases the rate at which things corrode. So salt on your hands can increase the rate at which things corrode, but it can't be done without an electrolyte like water.

And that's my grade 12 chem exhausted

pulsedragon20
01-27-2010, 10:38 PM
When the water hits the metal, it combines with the air to create carbonic acid. As this acid is created, it breaks the water down into oxygen and hydrogen, and as the electron bonds on the metal are weaker than those in the oxygen, the oxygen 'steals' the electron from the metal creating metal ions. These ions combine with the oxygen to create the stuff that tarnishes our metal.

Corrosion needs three things to happen, an anode to give up electrons, a cathode to accept them, and an electrolyte for the electrons to flow through. Here, megatrons feet act as the anode and cathode, while moisture acts as the electrolyte. The reason why you can stop iron from rusting by using zinc is because its electrons are 'looser' and will give them up easier than iron, so the zinc oxidizes rather than the iron does.

An interesting note as brought up by Jefro, adding salt to water makes it an even better electrolyte, and increases the rate at which things corrode. So salt on your hands can increase the rate at which things corrode, but it can't be done without an electrolyte like water.

And that's my grade 12 chem exhausted

Hell, i didn't learn that in Chem. All I learned was how to start a fire if you don't clean up after an experiment (happened to a friend)