PDA

View Full Version : MP Prime smokestacks

CBII
01-19-2010, 04:29 AM
Has anyone bought these before? What are your thoughts and are they KO?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270512613532&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI

Figured they'd go nicely with my 2 MP Primes.

pulsedragon20
01-19-2010, 05:13 AM
I don't think there were any official ones made (i.e. sold by themselves), but i could be wrong

Foxw
01-19-2010, 07:21 AM
The first copy of the takara smoke stacks was done up and offered by Unicron.com (and since long sold out)

this once again looks like someones recast and chromed (or least chromed like finish) and is offering these up for all those who didn't get a crack at getting takara's convoy vs US/cdn prime.

SO to answer your question, ANY stacks you see seperate are technically KO's as best of my knowledge Takara Never offered the stacks seperately.

venksta
01-19-2010, 07:26 AM
From looking at the auction, these ones seem to be cast in metal?

justprime
01-19-2010, 08:11 AM
The stacks are an outside mfg. they are either plastic or the harder to find steel,.... plating is vary good on the plastic version do not have a steel set so I am not sure of the plating there, they are relativly simple to install with the spring being the hard part (allows the stack to pivot and holds it upright) all in all a vary good way to make Optimus look the way he is suppost to without the cost of the Takara piece.

CBII
01-19-2010, 09:26 AM
I kind of figured they where KO's but over all they look pretty decent.

I'll probably get them to make the MP Prime look better.

Thanks for the input.

jourdo
01-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Well worth the money I'd say. I picked them up for my Hasbro Prime many moons ago and it just completes the figure.

Aernaroth
01-19-2010, 03:15 PM
From looking at the auction, these ones seem to be cast in metal?

Mine are plastic, I paid like 5 bucks for them a looooonnnng time ago, and I'm very happy with how they look, compared to the short stacks.

They've always been a 3rd party item, as far as I knew.

SamiWCP
01-19-2010, 04:50 PM
http://www.samicam.com/pics/TF0%20(871).jpg

I got that very same set--A few of them actually, they're fantastic, and have held up perfectly a few years later now. The switch is easy too. Definitely go for it.

Pascal
01-19-2010, 04:58 PM
Bought! Thanks for the link. A3U used to sell repro smokestacks for both G1 and MP Prime I think. Or was it just for MP? Or just G1? I can't remember.

FreedomGundam
01-19-2010, 05:38 PM
Bought! Thanks for the link. A3U used to sell repro smokestacks for both G1 and MP Prime I think. Or was it just for MP? Or just G1? I can't remember.
I dunno if they sold G1, but I bought my MP set from A3U a little more than 3 years back in Sept'06. One of the best $10 spent on add-on parts.

(Pic sitting in my Photobucket account from 13/09/2006)
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e18/tidalwav/tf64b.jpg

-KG-
01-19-2010, 06:36 PM
I've wanted to get one of these sets for while now. Nice find, I would grab them.

Pascal
01-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Is it true the installation kills the spring-loaded gimmick though?

Sun Swipe Prime
01-19-2010, 07:09 PM
I bought my set from the same guy on Ebay a couple of months back. Took a little while for delivery (4-weeks I think) but I was totally happy with them. Good quality, and no it doesn't kill the spring-loaded gimmick. You just have to reinstall the new stacks so it's the same as the old ones. There's a youtube video that shows you how, but basically it's just taking the spring and putting back in the right place in the new stacks. It'll take like 15 min at most. There's no complex mechanisms in the arm assembly.

Richter
01-19-2010, 08:54 PM
Is it true the installation kills the spring-loaded gimmick though?

Not if you're careful

Just don't lose any parts and it is a direct replacement

CBII
01-20-2010, 04:15 AM

LOL you're welcome! I'll be ordering mine right shortly.

Thanks for the input guys/gals, he looks why better with the long stacks.

Rogue_Optimus
01-20-2010, 07:30 AM

A3U use to sell stacks for both. I know cuz I bought sets for both. Haven't had a chance to change my MP prime but my TRU UM and OP look nice with the upgrade

Cheers Ian
01-21-2010, 12:08 AM
Add me to the list of people who can vouch for them. I got the set a long time ago for like 5 bucks and they are GREAT. Really helps the 20th ann. Prime.

Cheers!
-Ian

CBII
01-31-2010, 12:33 AM
Ordered them today. Can't wait.

Magnus
02-01-2010, 10:51 AM
I remember when I bought them way back, I'd purchased two sets, one for me and one for a friend. My friend actually took comparative pictures of Prime, pre-upgrade, mid-upgrae and post-upgrade.

Unfortunately, I can't locate those pics anymore, but the difference was drastic and Prime really does look much better with the chrome smokestacks!