PDA

View Full Version : Fortress Maximus.... should I take the plunge?

UltraMarknus
01-14-2010, 12:17 PM
OK, I need help here...I know it is essentially up to me but I need to get some opinions.

I have always wanted a Fort Max. I do have a beautiful Brave Max but really, he's like the red headed stepchild.

Now, it seems, about $800 is the going rate for Fort Max.

Should I sell my Brave Max and some of my collection to make the money for FM? It is taboo for me to take money out of my bank account or credit cards to buy TFs.

I'm thinking I would have to sell:

Brave Max
Monstructor
Victory Sabre

Would you do it???

Mumps
01-14-2010, 12:31 PM
if I were in that position, If I really really wanted a Fort max, or Grand Max, I would sell the Brave Max (I have passed up SO many good priced Brave Max figures cause of the fact that it comes with so much less stuff... lol).

However, if I were in the exact same situation, I would NOT sell Monstructor and Victory Saber.

Selling Brave Max, IMO, is a great idea to fund a Fort Max, cause in the end, it's the same figure, but it's also an upgrade. That and one takes up so much space.

Another thing to note about my opinions is... I own NONE of these figures, and I never have, and I really really do want all of them (cept Brave Max).

In the end this is your decision, and this is just my opinion. Good luck with whatever decision you make!

Stapler
01-14-2010, 12:43 PM
If it were me I would just be content with the Brave Max. If you have the money and know that you won't regret the purchase, than who am I to advise you otherwise. :)

GMfan
01-14-2010, 12:47 PM
I'd keep Victory Saber. Personally I got a Brave but no Fort as well and got little urge to hunt down a Fortress unless I get him at a steal. I got the mold, even the repro guns so the only real thing I'm missing is Cog.

CyberMnky
01-14-2010, 04:27 PM
Unless you really want a Fort Max - just get the repo parts and look for a cog online

Pascal
01-14-2010, 04:29 PM
I'd sell Brave Max (same mold) and Monstructor (rare & expensive POS).

Richter
01-14-2010, 04:36 PM
Ya, keep victory saber - way too badass to sell!

jourdo
01-14-2010, 04:54 PM
I'm with Mumps. Selling Brave Max in order to get funds for Fort Max is basically replacing the same figure. The others I would want to keep if it was me. However, I have none of these... but one day I will take the Fort Max plunge. I keep holding out hope for a Takara Encore reissue one of these days.

Mighty_Galvatron
01-14-2010, 05:14 PM
Don't get rid of those great figures. Brave Max is great. I don't own a Fortress (though I used to) and I can honestly say that Fortress and Brave are equal to me. I know Brave does not have many accessories...however, I feel that the painting of the lights on his main tower in base mode more than makes up for that. Brave has better detail.

Dark Rage
01-14-2010, 05:30 PM
The Brave Max and Monstructor should cover a chunk of the cost for a Fort Max. I'd sell those if I were in your position.

Terminal Hipster
01-14-2010, 05:40 PM
I've always been a little amazed that Takara hasn't done a full-out Fortress Maximus reissue. They clearly had a workable mold as recently as 2000, and they don't have to worry about the figure passing the drop test in Japan.

Given the success of the Metroplex, Omega Supreme, Sky Lynx and Predaking reissues, and the fact that so many fans would be lining up to import one of these, I wouldn't be surprised to see Takara Tomy do a full Fort Max reissue.

Mumps
01-14-2010, 06:05 PM
hope they do a re-issue. That way I don't have to stab my wallet through the heart just to get one :D

Dark Rage
01-14-2010, 06:25 PM
hope they do a re-issue. That way I don't have to stab my wallet through the heart just to get one :D

Hasbro will never reissue it, it doesn't meet the safety requirements in North America. Takara: maybe, but until they get superb financial earnings, reissuing this is "risky".

chans formers
01-14-2010, 06:29 PM
keep victory saber. sell monstructor(as rare as he is complete,he's still the shortest combiner at maybe 5-6 inches tall.not too imposing as a supposedly super badass bot:()
then do anything you can including donating blood,sperm,etc;):D and take the plunge:cool:

Richter
01-14-2010, 08:56 PM
then do anything you can including donating blood,sperm,etc;):D and take the plunge:cool:

Is there anywhere around I can donate both at the same time? I'm a busy man, you see

Dark Rage
01-14-2010, 09:21 PM
Is there anywhere around I can donate both at the same time? I'm a busy man, you see

Being a drug dealer is the fastest way. And since you live in Vancouver, you've pretty much hit the jackpot for "business". :p

UltraMarknus
01-14-2010, 10:04 PM
keep victory saber. sell monstructor(as rare as he is complete,he's still the shortest combiner at maybe 5-6 inches tall.not too imposing as a supposedly super badass bot:()

LOL I'm actually more likely to sell drugs!!

Thank you guys for all the responses. Though it has just confused me more its a good discussion.

I could've sworn a complete Max could be found for $600 not that long ago. I'm having a hard time finding one for under $1000 :eek:

Richter
01-14-2010, 11:29 PM
LOL I'm actually more likely to sell drugs!!

Thank you guys for all the responses. Though it has just confused me more its a good discussion.

I could've sworn a complete Max could be found for $600 not that long ago. I'm having a hard time finding one for under $1000 :eek:

Well, according to darkrage, dealing drugs involves blood and sperm, so you get the best of both worlds!

Crazyness, my fortmax was nearly complete (minus small guns) and it cost me $500, but this was at the height of the resession about 4 months ago. Amazing to think it's grown that much!!

brr-icy
01-14-2010, 11:58 PM
victory saber is a way better figure imo, the max mold is just big, get some repro weapons and cog for brave or sell him and monstructor

Batman
01-15-2010, 08:40 PM
I would wait. I wouldn't be surprised if Takara reissued him at some point. I think they are waiting for the right time.

If you can't wait though (because it is something that may never happen) I would definatly sell Brave Max and Monstructor.

Cheers Ian
01-15-2010, 08:51 PM
I would sell Brave Max and then just keep putting away Cash for Fortress Maximus. Try and get one complete for around $800 (or missing one or two parts).

Monstructor would be a bitch to buy again (big $$ for such a little guy)

Cheers!
-Ian

Team Jetfire
01-15-2010, 08:56 PM
Rational answer: While I would love to even have Brave Max, I would hold off. I agree with others saying that Takara may have a reissue down the raod and there for making your 800 figure a $400 toy as supply is increased.

That being said, we are talking about an irrational hobby, so if you want one, go get em tiger.

UltraMarknus
01-16-2010, 12:27 PM
aaarrrgghhh just whe I make the decision that Brave Max will do...one pops on eBay and drool insues. SHOOT me.

Protoman
01-16-2010, 12:31 PM
Don't sell Victory Saber. Honestly SCREW Fortress Maximus if you have Victory Saber.

UltraMarknus
01-17-2010, 12:18 AM
Don't sell Victory Saber. Honestly SCREW Fortress Maximus if you have Victory Saber.

Agreed...I dont think I can honestly sell him off, even for Fort Max. The Victory series was 110% win. Such great toys. I regret the day I sold off my Raiden and Deszaras.

I'll have to find other ways to make the money!

On that note...anyone want to buy $100 Samsung Blu Ray players with a free copy of DARk Knight!?

Richter
01-17-2010, 05:47 AM
Victory is my favourite toy series. My ultimate holy grail:
Countdown micromaster base with a galaxy shuttle

UltraMarknus
02-05-2010, 03:22 PM
Alright, I took the plunge! I sold off Brave Max and some miscellaneous items to get him. I got one complete but with some yellowing on Cerebros and a ramp for about $550. I had honestly stopped looking but then this deal fell into my lap with a HUGE order I was in the process of negotiating.

But I am happy to say Victory Sabre and Monstructor are still in my collection.

I got $425 for Brave Max...so a $125 upgrade(IMO) price was fair to me. Considering I got Brave Max when he was new for $130 shipped, I can say I paid $255 for a complete Fort Max, right? LOL!

I cannot wait for this bastard to show up.

Richter
02-05-2010, 03:32 PM
He was totally complete? All small guns and everything?

It's unfortunate that this comes on the heels of the announcement of a G1 'perfect' KO of fortmax is coming this year ;). Which pisses me off since I am a genuine fortmax owner myself (minus box and small guns)

UltraMarknus
02-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Yep, all the little parts. 100% complete. He came down quite a bit in price once the yellowing was discovered. It was no biggie to me as the yellowing vaccine has been discovered LOL. Plus at that price, if I HAVE to replace Cerebros, it was still worth it.

Bah! I couldn't care less about a KO being released. I only want genuine G1...and buying this before the KO comes out gives me the piece of mind knowing that this is all genuine stuff.

Mumps
02-05-2010, 04:09 PM
I think the most rational solution is to buy 2 Fort Max. And then give one to me >.>

But seriously thats awesome that you found one for a decent price! :D

EDIT: Wait... there's a new KO coming out of this toy? Great, now I will never get one... No telling which ones will be real or not! :mad:

Nemesis Angel
02-05-2010, 04:13 PM
Victory Saber and Monstructor are rare. Giving those up would be way too much. The maxes have all gone up in price over the years. One thing to consider is building the Fort Max as an option. It may be a little cheaper. But this will require more time and hunting. I have Monstructor and Vic Saber and persoanally would not sell them to get a Fort Max. Japanese figures are hard to come by and there aren't that many collectors out there that collect the Japanese figures as the price is scary.

When I bought mine, (Brave, Fort and Grand ALL MIB and complete) the price was relatively "cheap"

Brave Max: $125
Fort Max $225
Grand Max $400

Richter
02-05-2010, 04:49 PM
I have an incomplete one and finding those small guns is a nightmare. I got him for $500 and he had some problems (stickers are bad, crack in green chest window) so it wasn't the GREATEST deal, but not bad

I have a MIB brave max, now I need a grand max to finish my army! I will consider buying a KO grand max if he comes with ALL his accessories, and I will consider KO small guns for fort. The way I see it, these KOs will be seen in the same light as hasbro resissues, and maybe even in a better light due to no 'safety' remolds and higher initial price

That being said, I hate KOs because they play with my emotions: should I get a MISB KO sunstreaker or a complete genuine G1 sunstreaker for the same price. Genuine will have a better value in the long run, but the KO will look better on display.

So far I have kept my KO purchases to things I will never get genuine: black/clear prime, red mirage, metrotitan, etc
AAARRRGGGHHH!!

UltraMarknus
02-05-2010, 05:27 PM
I just cant do KO because I love the fact that the originals are just that...original...the sticker and play wear just make them perfect.....I dont know how to explain it LOL.

I think the only KO I would ever buy is a Blue Bluestreak.

Mumps
02-05-2010, 05:47 PM
I will only buy KO's if they are drastically different than their originals. Such as, WST Dinobots. They are mini!

a KO Fort Max, designed to look exactly as the original one did, even if it is better quality, I feel like I am supporting criminals more than the hobby it's self... If it looks like the original in my collection, it IS!

GMfan
02-05-2010, 05:48 PM
I got one complete but with some yellowing on Cerebros and a ramp for about $550

Want to remove that yellow (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showpost.php?p=134595&postcount=16)?

UltraMarknus
02-05-2010, 06:43 PM
Want to remove that yellow (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showpost.php?p=134595&postcount=16)?

;)Thats honestly a big reason why I agreed to the deal...knowing that the cure for cancer had been found.

Shepp
02-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Man, I still regret not picking up Brave Max when the St. Catharines Toys R Us had like 30 of them in their Takara Car Robots packaging back when RiD was out.

I can't remember the price though, but I had other priorities for my collection at the time.

Richter
02-05-2010, 10:31 PM
Anyone know a place where we can get that high concentrate hydrogen peroxide in Canada?

Paradigm-Shift Prime
02-05-2010, 11:10 PM
Yep, if you do want to take the plunge now is the time to do it, once the bootleg KO comes out it's game over as there will be a massive flood of parts in circulation being passed off as originals and that will mix in with original figures and taint/ruin them from a vintage collector perspective.

ringrust
02-05-2010, 11:11 PM
Out of curiosity, how much has a complete Monstructor been worth recently?

Scrapper6
02-05-2010, 11:20 PM

That's a good question, I was thinking of buying up all the figures I used to own as a kid that are long gone now, one happened to be Wildfly and since I was getting him I'd figured on getting the other five.

But I don't want to pay like a thousand bucks for the guy, heck even five hundred would be way more than I expected for a Pretender. But I suppose I could handle 300 or so maybe 235$ if I was lucky. (First I have to get that income granting thing though, you know, a job.):rolleyes:

Richter
02-05-2010, 11:23 PM
Wildfly goes for about 30-50 bucks

Jefro
02-05-2010, 11:35 PM

This one sold for $326usd...

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Transformers-G1-Monstructor-Pretender-Combiner-Set_W0QQitemZ150409803427QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item23051f76a3

miasboytoy
02-05-2010, 11:40 PM
When I bought mine, (Brave, Fort and Grand ALL MIB and complete) the price was relatively "cheap"

Brave Max: $125
Fort Max $225
Grand Max $400

what year did you buy these? man you got them dirt cheap mib! they are worth so much more.

Scrapper6
02-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Wildfly goes for about 30-50 bucks

Wow, in retrospect that doesn't sound TOO bad. I figure if I got him for 30$ then the others might possibly be close to that too. 3x6=18 so 180$ for the set... Mind you I'd have to keep my eyes peeled for deals like that.

Now how about Pretender Starscream? (Why oh why did I have to lose/misplace/what-have-you him?)

Richter
02-07-2010, 06:12 AM
Well, on ebay right now wildfly seems to be the most comon.
It was said above a complete monstructor went for $350 ish, but if you're patient enough, things can always be had for a good price. Case in point, the OPs new toy ;)

signofzeta
02-07-2010, 02:33 PM
about getting fort max for you, I'd say this.

1. Do you have enough money?
2. Do you really really really really really really want Fort Max right away?
3. In the long term, after selling Monstructor and Victory Saber, are you sure want them again?

If you answered yes to 1 and 2, and no to 3, then go ahead. Get that Fort Max.

UltraMarknus
02-08-2010, 04:12 PM
Oh ya and I just realized...the $550 also included a Bumblejumper to boot!

protoform_ironhide
02-08-2010, 10:54 PM
After I read all this, i have a question. I just bought a Japanese MIB Brave Fortress Maximus for 350 dollars off ebay shipped. It is in mint condition with box, instruction still seal. I really like that giant robot. Can anyone tell me if I am paying over price ???

Shepp
02-08-2010, 11:14 PM
After I read all this, i have a question. I just bought a Japanese MIB Brave Fortress Maximus for 350 dollars off ebay shipped. It is in mint condition with box, instruction still seal. I really like that giant robot. Can anyone tell me if I am paying over price ???

Well, I mean if you don't want it, I could always take it off your hands for nothing. :D

Anyways, I think that $350 would be a fair price, but then I've been out of the loop for Maximus prices for a long time.

brr-icy
02-09-2010, 01:10 AM

mine went for a lot more than that, so you did good

Richter
02-09-2010, 01:50 AM
$350 is a great price

Dragon Knight
02-09-2010, 01:59 AM
What's the most expensive Fort Max has gone for?

And how much does one usually go for? I'm talking about one that's comeplete, still has the box, and no colour disfiguration(I think that's the word)

UltraMarknus
02-09-2010, 09:13 AM

I think that is a good price. Mine went for $425 plus shipping without the box but included repros of the large guns.

Echotransformer
02-10-2010, 07:23 PM

For reference I paid $450 for one at TF Con 2009, opened but complete with box (so no shipping).

I think I paid a bit too much (more like $400 maybe?)

Dude, you got a deal.

Dark Rage
02-10-2010, 11:13 PM
I think Brave Max is way overpriced at the moment. I'm just hoping my theory that prices will drop to about 300-350 will be right. I'm seeing most ending at about 400-450 USD, it's insane.

protoform_ironhide
02-11-2010, 03:20 AM
Cool! So I guess I got a good price at 350 shipped, got me a bit worry a while ago. I am so happy with my Brave Max. It makes me feel like I am more of a collector.

UltraMarknus
02-12-2010, 11:00 PM
He's here!! Honestly in better shape than the seller's photographs showed. The discolouring is very little. Only on the back of the middle ramp and Cerebros' forearms. Needs a GOOD cleaning but otherwise...AWESOME

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/miraitrunks/009.jpg

Shockwave 75
02-13-2010, 04:20 PM
That is gorgeous!

I have Brave Max, just added repro guns and small Master Sword.
I'd love an actual Fort Max, but I think I may wait and see if the rumoured KO comes out and get that instead. Especially since there is a chance it may come with the two Master Swords!

Malwave
02-13-2010, 04:27 PM
dude, keep Victory Saber! :O

They aren't easy to come across on eBay, unless yer willing to spend at least over 400 bucks -_-; and that was for just Star Saber

devastator137
02-15-2010, 02:27 AM
I've always wanted a Fort Max, but I can't really justify spending that kind of money on him, although I did luck out 2 years ago and got my Brave Max for $199 off Evilbay, missing one hip cannon and the big red ramp, but had everything else.

UltraMarknus
02-16-2010, 05:48 PM
dude, keep Victory Saber! :O

They aren't easy to come across on eBay, unless yer willing to spend at least over 400 bucks -_-; and that was for just Star Saber

No worries, I was able to keep Victory Saber.

I sold off Brave Max and my Predaking reissue and had more than enough for Fort Max. I got Fort Max and G1 "Bumblejumper" for $550.

My next goal is Season 4 figures....damn Headmasters are EXPENSIVE. I remember years ago before the G1 reissues started, a complete Headmaster would be about $40...now $80 is standard for most. SCARY!!

UltraMarknus
02-16-2010, 05:54 PM
I've always wanted a Fort Max, but I can't really justify spending that kind of money on him, although I did luck out 2 years ago and got my Brave Max for $199 off Evilbay, missing one hip cannon and the big red ramp, but had everything else.

Honestly, after owning both...Brave Max is every bit as cool as Fort Max. What Brave lacks in accessories and G1 goodness, he makes up in a kick ass colour scheme. I was dead set on owning a Fort Max so thats what I had to do but I cant say that "oooOOhhOOhhhh FORT MAX IS SO MUCH BETTER!!!" because he's not...he's equal LOL. I'm happy with my decision but now know Brave Max is a more than suitable repaint.