PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Question

Dark Rage
05-28-2007, 12:33 AM
I have a friend in the states, and I've been browsing on a US store

Although they offer shipping to Canada, I was wondering whether I should ship it here directly, or ship it to my friend to redeliver it here? It's because the difference between US and Cdn shipping rates is very big.

I guess I'll be dinged with the taxes and customs charges no matter what?

Any advice/help would be appreciated, thanks.

Synch
05-28-2007, 01:19 AM
unless they offer free shiping you are boned either way because then you have to pay to have it shiped to you're friend and then to you for something that customs may not even check!

If you're friend can pick it up localy then he can mark it as a gift at a lower cost but either way you could still happen to get screwed by customs

Dark Rage
05-28-2007, 01:27 AM
So there's no difference in the probabilities that customs will check the mailed goods from either the US store directly or my friend's house right?

But stores must declare the full amount of the package before sending, but my friend can declare it as a gift or a lower amount since it's not from a store.

Synch
05-28-2007, 12:17 PM
well actaullly I am sure its ilegal for you 're friend to do it too its just one of those "whos gona know" type deals :D However you're package can still get checked and dinged by customs even if it is marked as a gift and at a lower value It just depends on how anal/lazy the guy doing it is that day

BadJeff
05-28-2007, 01:08 PM
Best bet is having it shipped USPS IMO. You don't get screwed on "brokerage" fees like UPS and the rates are very reasonable. All depends what your shipping and how much it's worth too though.

jourdo
05-28-2007, 02:39 PM
So there's no difference in the probabilities that customs will check the mailed goods from either the US store directly or my friend's house right?

No difference. Totally random as far as I know.