PDA

View Full Version : It doesn't make sense....

racerguy76
12-19-2009, 04:31 PM
Why do cybertronian vehicle modes have cockpits/cabs for humans to fit into?

Cybertronian Bumblebee has a large window across the front of him. Is that a "sensor"?

Autobot Hound
12-19-2009, 04:50 PM
You talking about G1 cybertonian bb?? Well not matter which version ur right, it doesn't make sense. Im sure they need the space for storage but why a seat and controls?

Maybe for the minicons?

Ozrein
12-19-2009, 04:55 PM
If you go with the Quintesson angle on TF history, then the TFs would be products to be sold to other alien races, assuming these races to be somewhere in the vicinity of Human size and proportions, it would explain why there are seats, cockpits and controls.

GMfan
12-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Of all things in Transformers that never made sense this is the one that popped out the most? :confused:

racerguy76
12-19-2009, 05:05 PM
If you go with the Quintesson angle on TF history, then the TFs would be products to be sold to other alien races, assuming these races to be somewhere in the vicinity of Human size and proportions, it would explain why there are seats, cockpits and controls.

This I did not know. That makes sense. I know there is a lot that doesn't make sense. Why do thyey need heads? Arms, hands, feet all have a purpose. A main processor should go some place with better armor. Is it even in thier head? I'm kinda a noob if you haven't figured it out by now.

Minicons, maybe. They usually fit onto or add features to alt modes. Man weapons, become weapons.

Whisky Tango Foxtrot
12-19-2009, 08:46 PM
Maybe they picked up those altmodes on a trip to Nebulos and just never bothered to change them after returning to Cybertron.

Sun Swipe Prime
12-19-2009, 09:08 PM
This question will be answered once somebody explains how the G1 constructicons were built on earth in the present but were on cybertron in the past and with earth alt modes. Trying to make sense of cockpits, well how about the Junkion approach they drive each other. Who says there aren't human sized transformers running around cybertron.

Trying to figure this out is like trying to pull your tongue out of your butt. It'll be painful and it won't work..hahah

Slythe
12-19-2009, 09:30 PM

I had a similar thought.

Since the Quintessons come in all different sizes and shapes in the cartoons (and assuming they are one race and not many), I figure they are able to change their shape from an original form, like an ant larva into a different life stage or body type.

Also, since some people (tfwiki) say that the Autobots first discovered the art of transformation, the domestic line slaves were not originally becoming vehicles for giant Quintessons and they were doing something else. The Decepticons learned how to transform, later.

This leads me to another assumption that the Autobots were copying vehicles or robotic forms (drones?) that already existed. After all, why bother inventing a new form if you are trying to hide? There may or may not be room for a human to sit in a pre-Earth alt-form. If there is no room, then I wonder what the non-sentient machines do. If there is room, why would there be domestic vehicles that have room for small creatures? Unless maybe they are meant for human-like buyers, like Ozrein said.

Why do most of the Autobots and Decepticons have human-ish features like a head with a face, a bi-pedal form, two legs and two arms? Why is their robot mode usually not more arthropod-like or squid-like or alien?

While wearing my favourite tinfoil hat and a snazzy straight-jacket, I tell ya that the Quintessons are actually super-technologically advanced humans that went back through time and mutated/roboticized themselves and built robot slaves that look like humans that revolted and kicked them off their own planet. (It's true! Our machines will turn against us, again! Just you waaait!)

Or, maybe vehicles and human-like features appeal more to people and their wallets, or something.

Decepticon Army
12-19-2009, 09:36 PM
A wizard did it.

pandaprime
12-19-2009, 09:46 PM
this is the first thing that came to mind when I read the thread title:

from "Midway" script

"It doesn't make any sense, Admiral.
Yamamoto had everything going for him,
power, experience, confidence...
Were we better than the Japanese, or just luckier?"

tusko
12-19-2009, 09:59 PM
There was a transforming lamp post.
Megatron, Reflector and Perceptor were also cockpit-less.

In short, boring transformers don't make for good stories.

DECEPTICON_BRAWL
12-19-2009, 10:08 PM
There was a transforming lamp post.
Megatron, Reflector and Perceptor were also cockpit-less.
In short, boring transformers don't make for good stories.

the weird part is is that all three of those bots had earth alt modes while they were on cybertron.:confused:

Matrix_Holder
12-19-2009, 10:54 PM
This question will be answered once somebody explains how the G1 constructicons were built on earth in the present but were on cybertron in the past and with earth alt modes. Trying to make sense of cockpits, well how about the Junkion approach they drive each other. Who says there aren't human sized transformers running around cybertron.

Trying to figure this out is like trying to pull your tongue out of your butt. It'll be painful and it won't work..hahah

what makes the most sense is that megatron had their personality chips with him and rebuilt the bodies when they arrived on earth. kept the chips for a rainy day.

Tekkamanraiden
12-20-2009, 12:30 AM
Of all things in Transformers that never made sense this is the one that popped out the most? :confused:

I find the loose physics much more entertaining.

Richter
12-20-2009, 12:34 AM
Well, if you remember the 1st episode, bumblebee could fit in wheeljack, so I'm +1 for them 'driving each other'

Transformer sex?

Supernova
12-20-2009, 12:38 AM
I think when it comes to anything G1 related, the best advice is just to relax and enjoy the ride. Thinking about all the potential issues too hard is enough to make one's brain explode.

(Though it does make for fun episode entries in the TF wikis!)

Shockwave 75
12-20-2009, 01:13 AM
I have a vague recollection of one of the TFs asking this question. I think it's in one of the War Within series.

I seem to remember one of them asking aloud, in a sort of "why are we here" type moment, about why they have cockpits if they don't require drivers.

It could be one of the reasons why the TFs always seem to be linked inextricably with Earth and humans. We complete them. Wether in a "____Master" type partnership or just as comrades, they seem to be stronger when they have a partner.

Protoman
12-20-2009, 01:37 AM
Which continuity (thus I will give you an answer related to it)

racerguy76
12-20-2009, 02:10 AM
Which continuity (thus I will give you an answer related to it)

I guess it applies to almost all lines that had a cybertronia mode before coming to earth. G1 to Animated, almost all have it. Just pick your fav, I guess.

Protoman
12-20-2009, 02:28 AM
Well if your talking G1-Japan's timeline (my fav as you said), some Transformers before the war even broke out were small enough to sit in the cockpits. Those same Transformers fled Cybertron and later founded Planet Master. They would go on to become the Headmasters.

Dark Rage
12-20-2009, 06:13 AM
Well, if you remember the 1st episode, bumblebee could fit in wheeljack, so I'm +1 for them 'driving each other'

Transformer sex?

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j283/transformer_01/1242591632630.jpg

justprime
12-20-2009, 08:10 AM
My explanation for the head ? is that the original cybertronian slaves (autobots),..(military hardward )soilders(Decepticons) created by the quints were in humanoid form so it would be natural (from there standpoint) to retain a head, if dealing with other humanoid races also gives a focal point for confersation,(just try talking to someone with out looking at them), also this provides alround vision highest point.... also explained in headmasters there backup processer is in the chest.

Scrapper6
12-20-2009, 10:04 AM
The answer is simple, it's a human made cartoon about giant robots who transform into vehicles and things. And the animators were too lazy to think up alt modes that didn't look like their Earth forms which they would have for no more than thirty minutes or less in one episode.

Now if it were an alien produced cartoon then you could get tons of things that were more in keeping.

As for why they're humanoid... The same reason why every alien on Star Trek was humanoid, or at least almost every alien, we just can't relate to cephalopods or any other TRULY alien aliens.

Shepp
12-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Okay, lets look at this from a within-story perspective (based on TFs being Quintesson Products)

Most need some form of powerful domestic robot for labour or whatever.

So based on whatever technology and knowledge the Quintessons gathered when they found Primus and created Cybertron, they set to making these powerful domestic and labour robots. These robots could navigate and problem solve on their own, but not much more.

They made them in the generalized shape of a humanoid, since most could relate to that shape. As for their size, a wide range of sized robots were available (tape-bot, minibot, regular deluxe sized bot, etc.) to suit the size of the client.

Because they were humanoid, smaller races could also buy the larger robots, and all they needed to do was scale things up for their use.

This explains why the robot modes of Cybertronians do NOT have cockpits.

But this doesn't answer why they transform.

Not everyone needs a labour robot, but everyone needs a method getting from point A to point B. Instead of making a separate line of vehicles, the Quintessons decided to just make their already developed robots more expensive by enabling them to transform into vehicles and other tools.

So since the robots became vehicles, they of course needed to be piloted and operated. So the vehicle modes have cockpits.

Now onto the disguise part of it. This one's really genius. Different species on different planets have vastly different styles or architecture and vehicles. So one generalized robot vehicle wouldn't do for most customers. This is where the whole "protoform" thing comes in. By having these robots in a somewhat state of flux during transit, once at the client's destination they could scan surrounding vehicles and architecture and adjust their form to match and blend in.

So now we have a product that's autonomous, can be used as a vehicle, is properly scaled for the client, and is guaranteed to match the client planet's style.

Quintessons started to merge these Cybertronian products with their military ventures. Its pretty ingenious to make your weapon also a very capable soldier.

Then the products started to act on their own and "malfunction". They were mostly recalled to Cybertron for repair. Once there, all hell broke loose (like a bunch of angry gorillas let loose in a pre-school) and the Quintessons had to abandon Cybertron and their entire venture into autonomous robot vehicles. They became bitter about it.

The Cybertronians were left to their own devices, but the chaos partly awakened Primus, who influenced the Cybertronians into full sentience. The first to gain sentience were the original 13 Cybertronians.

Since they didn't really remember anything as a race before they gained sentience, they didn't know about the Quintessons, or the fact that they could also change into vehicles and tools and weapons. They gradually had to rediscover it.

But then that's just how I've rationalized it.

racerguy76
12-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Awesome guys, Thanks for all your replies. I've learned so much.

Shepp
12-20-2009, 01:31 PM
When I was a child I didn't understand why the robot modes didn't have cockpits. Gobots did. They could change without the passengers exiting. Transformers, on the other hand, required that passengers remove themselves or else get crushed when transforming to robot mode.

Here's a demonstration from Clerks the animated series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ReoBPl4mM

Also, if Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit.

terrordrone
12-20-2009, 03:16 PM
interesting thread.

continuity problems.
Star Wars has less continuity problems than Transformers (but they are big problem) because Hasbro allows anyone to make up the story. Transformers needs a George Lucas. OH I KID

Continuity tend to be fixed or more entertaining in Fan Fiction. Or reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly messed up.

Who remembers Rakasha?
Her explanation on Decepticon perspectives is rather...unique.
(Decepticonism?)

QuadESL63
12-20-2009, 03:25 PM
You got it all wrong!!

The reason: the original G1 Autobots and some Decepticons are from the Diaclone toy line with little human drivers :p :D

Couldn't resist ;)

racerguy76
12-20-2009, 06:06 PM
Also, if Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit.

I wondered when this would pop up. Damn Chewbacca defense.