PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Slag Episode 19 - The Art of Revenge

GMfan
10-13-2009, 11:29 PM
Revenge of the Fallen concept art has been flooding out of the woodwork and it would be a travesty to not discuss some of the cool things that may have been. We also had a talk on Action Figure Expo 2009 (http://www.actionfigureexpo.com) and our sweet hauls, Wal-mart's sudden influx of Universe Voyagers, and some more info about gold plastic syndrome. Finally a discussion on Nemesis Prime, which turned into a discussion about black Optimus Prime's...which turned into a discussion about black repaints...mrrrm...and dak closes the show with his pick, Damn! I wish I designed the Ice Cream Truck twins. Special guest appearance by Gizmo!

GMfan
10-13-2009, 11:32 PM
Episode 19 - The Art of Revenge (http://www.cybertron.ca/podcast/Canadian%20Slag%2019%20-%20The%20Art%20of%20Revenge.mp3)
Host: Chris w/ Daniel, Phil, Duncan, and Gizmo!
- AFX talk
- $10 Universe Voyagers
- ROTF concept art
- Duncan's corrections on GPS
- Getting to know Nemesis Prime (for chansformers)
- Damn I wished I designed that! the ROTF Ice cream truck twins

DOWNLOAD NOW! (http://www.cybertron.ca/podcast/Canadian%20Slag%2019%20-%20The%20Art%20of%20Revenge.mp3)

Don't forget if there's anything you want us to cover on the show, any topic, certain character, let us know here or in the Canadian Slag (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/group.php?groupid=5) lounge ;)

soundwaveCA
10-14-2009, 12:42 AM
Only 2 weeks late :p

Still looking for this podcast on ITunes :(

Robimus
10-14-2009, 01:06 AM
Nice to see Gizmo has found some time in the sun again.

He was at the Manitoba Comic Con last year, posing for pictures with his adoring fans...that was before he bit Levar Burton on the ass...not good.

Because of that we couldn't invite him back this year..........:p

GMfan
10-14-2009, 01:22 AM
Nice to see Gizmo has found some time in the sun again.

Well very few actually know that Gizmo is in fact an avid toy collector and Transformers enthusiast so when we found the vast amount of knowledge he has on them we couldn't help but invite him on the show.

chans formers
10-14-2009, 01:36 AM
nice podcast!!
@gmfan101- when i heard your tumbler idea for the arcee triplets,all i could think of was the "rid buildking/team".you may have hit that one right on the proverbial head.

and thanks again for the info on ol nemesis prime guys.and yeah....i'm tickled;):D
now throw gizmo into a swimming pool and let the real fun begin:p

Robimus
10-14-2009, 01:39 AM
Frank Welker did voice Stripe, so there's a Six Degrees of Sixshot connection..........

And yeah, the Egyptian god stuff....All stolen from Stargate. Sorry but thats why I found the whole idea of the Egyptian history subplot incredibly unoriginal.

Clearly thats what they were going for but because its already been done it came across really weak to me.

Protoman
10-14-2009, 01:40 AM
Damn you Gizmo....... he kept me up all TFcon 2009.

GMfan
10-14-2009, 01:42 AM
all i could think of was the "rid buildking/team".you may have hit that one right on the proverbial head.

Hmmm ya that would be the most appropriate analogy...minus the center piece and work more in a forward and less of a sideways tumble but now I think you hit that one on the proverbial head! Kudos for that!

and thanks again for the info on ol nemesis prime guys.and yeah....i'm tickled;):D

Anything for a good friend ;)

now throw gizmo into a swimming pool and let the real fun begin:p

Duncan is always wet...oh wait you said Gizmo? Alright...what's the worst that could happen?

chans formers
10-14-2009, 01:47 AM
^^lolz^^:D

GMfan
10-14-2009, 01:48 AM
Sorry but thats why I found the whole idea of the Egyptian history subplot incredibly unoriginal.

Well to be fair both are unoriginal as they stem from the whole "Aliens visited ancient civilizations" theories and a little from the "Aliens build the pyramids" theory.

Here's my theory, Orci and Kurtzman seem to know their scientific/theoretical lore. Fringe is a show built off that knowledge and even the first Transformers movie, IE The Men in Black (sector 7), we got all our modern technology by studying aliens. So all they really did was apply another alien myth/theory into this film...

Who knows maybe in TF3 had they stayed on we'd find out that crop circles tell the coming of Unicron?

Protoman
10-14-2009, 01:53 AM
And yeah, the Egyptian god stuff....All stolen from Stargate. Sorry but thats why I found the whole idea of the Egyptian history subplot incredibly unoriginal.

Could be, but the whole idea of Aliens coming to earth and being the reasons behind our culture today has been done WAAY before Stargate.... heck even Macross did it with the Zentradi.

Robimus
10-14-2009, 02:22 AM
A lot of direct similarities though.

Stargate= Advanced alien race enslaving humanity and forcing them to build the pyramids. The pyramids themselves are tied to the alien technology as landing platforms for their space ships.

Human's take to worshipping the aliens as gods, include the aliens images in their wall carvings, so on.

US military shows up, defeats the aliens. End of film...start of weaker series.

TFTM2= Decepticons enslaving humanity, maybe forcing them to build the pyramids to house their technology.

Humans take to worshipping the Decepticons as gods, carving pictures of them into the walls.

Autobots and USA army show up, beat the Decepticons. End of film.

I just would have liked to have seen something that felt a little less like Stargate. While that film certainly borrowed very general speculative theories it also delivered a very similar historical Egyptian plot when put alongside TFTM2, something I hadn't seen done in that way before.

Maybe Orci and Kurtzman didn't mean to directly present them as similar, but thats really how it came across to me..

Proto posted:
Could be, but the whole idea of Aliens coming to earth and being the reasons behind our culture today has been done WAAY before Stargate.... heck even Macross did it with the Zentradi.

I'm sure it has, nothing is truly original in this day and age. But they do have very similar themes even down to both films being summer blockbuster hits:p

Something a little more inspired, a little more different wouldn't have invoked the images of that exact film in my mind.

Stapler
10-14-2009, 12:04 PM
Nice talk about the unused concept art for the movies.I quite like the design for Hightower because its shape really reminds me of the G1 Sharkticons, flail and all!:)

GMfan
10-14-2009, 12:30 PM
Except HUGE! :P That isn't a stick in front of him, supposedly it's a human. That crane alone is massive.

Stapler
10-14-2009, 12:51 PM
So wouldn't the ice cream twins combined alt-mode have already been beaten to the punch by the original Dreadwind and Darkwing's Dreadwing mode? Either way I'm hoping that the ice cream twins will inspire some actual duocon figures in the future.;)

GMfan
10-14-2009, 01:22 PM
So wouldn't the ice cream twins combined alt-mode have already been beaten to the punch by the original Dreadwind and Darkwing's Dreadwing mode?

I suppose...but they each had their own vehicle mode and the combo mode, which isn't even a whole vehicle, just a smashed together pair of planes :P

So the more appropriate first version of their transformation are those combining micromasters (from 1990) which had individual robot modes but one became the front of one vehicle and the other became the back.

Check out the bottom left corner (http://www.tfarchive.com/toys/catalogues/generationone_catalogue/90micromaster_catalog.jpg), 19 year old "technology" FTW, lol

Pascal
10-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Awesome stuff. My favorites are the Micromasters Combiners and Transports series.

UltraPrimal
10-14-2009, 05:54 PM
Yeah, Nemesis Prime! I love Nemesis Prime, Scourge, Black Convoy and just black repaints in general. I even did a "Master Class" on this very subject on the old "YouTubes". ;) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7LB3dYDmZ0)I remember getting Universe Nemesis Prime at TFCon. I think it was my first one(TFCon and "Nemesis Prime"). I forget what year it was. And then I got Armada Nemesis Prime at last years TFCon, I think. And just recently, I picked up Galaxy Force Soundblaster and black Snarl, or Wolfang, or Silverbolt, or whatever his name is. So yeah, much love for the black repaints. I think I usually end up getting one at every convention.

CobraCommander
10-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Great episode! I really enjoyed Gizmo, can you guys make him the new host? :p

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/5173/dscf1743.jpg

GMfan
10-14-2009, 07:50 PM
I offered him Gord's spot but he was too shy....

Protoman
10-14-2009, 10:51 PM
I think. And just recently, I picked up Galaxy Force Soundblaster and black Snarl, or Wolfang, or Silverbolt.

Oh man, I forgot I was looking for GF Soundblaster! I want one.

Great episode! I really enjoyed Gizmo, can you guys make him the new host? :p

Indeed. He truly is superior to all of us.

dak
10-14-2009, 11:41 PM
oh that gizmo

Stapler
10-15-2009, 11:00 AM
I agree on the Gizmo love, give that guy top billing!:D

Cliffjumper69
10-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Great episode guys! :D

CJ