PDA

View Full Version : Which lines do you collect and why ?

Jefro
08-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Hey Everyone,

I'm making this thread as I'm curious to see which lines every collects and why. I can understand that some, or most may collect anything and everything Tranformers related while others only collect what they like.

Personally, I grew up on the 1st Generation Transformers and until the Animated Cartoon came along I never got back into the Cartoons. With that said thou, I only collect items related to the G1 items.

Currently, I'm collecting G1, G2, Animated, Classic's and Universe Figures which are true to their G1 counter part. I do however have a few Energon and R.I.D Figures but have never clicked with those or Beast Wars/Machine Wars as they jsut dont move me as the originals do.

Am I alone here or are their others among us who base their collections around the originals or must you simply have anything and everything ?

OneShallFall
08-18-2009, 09:01 PM
We base ours pretty much the same.I personally started collecting only G1,but have since grown to love some of the others.I dont know,soon I will be collecting everything if I dotn change.It is an addiction. :D

Nocturn
08-18-2009, 09:18 PM
Beast Era
A/E/C (not too much Armada though)
TFA
TFU
Classics
Movie Lines
Some RID
I don't really care for Alts or g1's much.

Benzo
08-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Masterpiece, Classics/Universe 2.0 and Animated. Why? because they're awesome!! :)

astrana
08-18-2009, 09:43 PM
classic
Alternator/Alternity
Disney Label
Few DW item
Certain ROTF
any combiners

chans formers
08-18-2009, 09:47 PM
all.
unfortunately i'm a completist:(i grew up with the g1bots,gobots,gijoe,m.a.s.k.,heman,starcom,airraid ers,tmnt etc,but tf's have always been in my life.heck,i remember playing with the g1 constructicons in the sand box at elementary school when they first came out.so far i pretty much have 90 -95% and in some cases 100% completion of every line released since then till now with the exception of the japanese/european exclusive lines.the hunt goes on......:D

Dark Rage
08-18-2009, 10:00 PM
Masterforce
Victory
Headmasters
Henkei
Microman/Diaclone

I'm just a Takara zombie, you really get good quality and value for stuff from Takara. Plus watching the Japanese G1 series just makes you want to scream something in Japanese and "TRAAAANNNSSSSFOOOOOORRRRRMM"

Ok, that was cheesy, sorry.

But the Japanese Voice Actors are so into it when they're on the job, sometimes too much.

rhinoxmaximal
08-18-2009, 10:02 PM
I collect the ones I like the most ;)

...which are mainly G1 related.

CTO15
08-18-2009, 10:05 PM
Classic/Universe b/c I don't want to spend so much money on G1. Probably the closet I'll get

Animated - b/c they look awesome

Movie - same reason.

Unicrons_Domain
08-18-2009, 10:06 PM
All except beast wars or beast machines. I just loved the first transformers show and it started from there. The challenge of transformering many of these guys is what drives me!

Mighty_Galvatron
08-18-2009, 10:06 PM
I buy pretty much whichever figures I think I will like, no matter the line...I have completed a few lines though - but I did not set out to do so when they started - it just sort of happened.

BM, RiD, Animated. Complete.

Tekkamanraiden
08-18-2009, 10:09 PM
Classics Universe for the most part. I will buy an energon or armada omega supreme if I ever find one for a good price.

Protoman
08-18-2009, 10:28 PM
All of them.

EVERYTHING.

Pulverise2
08-18-2009, 10:28 PM
universe (old one not classics only cyb/energon repaints from classics), energon, cyb, big unicron trilogy fan =]

CyberMnky
08-18-2009, 10:47 PM
I get ones that I like. Some movie and rotf, lots of animated and really enjoying the classics/universe 2.0 line. Sadly i did not get a classics Bumblebee when they were out and now I just can't afford one online... :(

Dark Rage
08-18-2009, 10:53 PM
All of them.

And anything with Red flames

Fixed.

Icetron
08-18-2009, 10:56 PM
Classics
Beast Wars (though I'm mostly done, I want Lio Convoy and Big Convoy though)
Movie Lines
Animated

KBlurr
08-18-2009, 10:56 PM
I once had 3 Beast Wars figures:
Rattrap, Rhinox & Optimus Primal (all Transmetal)

The only lines I collect are the movie & Animated

Reasons (Movie)
-After seeing the movie, it brought back many memories of those cool robots (I didn't collect any back then, but still).
-The robots were freakin' awesome.

Reasons (Animated)
-Homages to G1 (which I am a fan of)

Team Jetfire
08-18-2009, 11:05 PM
Everything except g1 and g2.

kuo0110
08-18-2009, 11:06 PM
I started off collecting everything but with limited space to store and display everything, I've limited it to:

G1
Henkei
Classics Universe
Masterpiece/Hybrid
Alt/BT/Alternity
Animated
Primes/Megatrons from every line!

BeeBoy29
08-18-2009, 11:07 PM
i collect
TFA
TFU/classics
ROTF
simply because i like alot of the stuff tht comes from these lines and animated is one of my fav shows.
i have figs from other lines but only one or two from each

Omega_Prime
08-18-2009, 11:27 PM
Have everything that made appearances in the shows of:

Beast Wars (non Japanese but I do own all Optimus Primal Variants, all Lio Convoy Variants and Big Convoy Variants except lucky draws obviously)

RID
Cybertron
TFTM
Animated
Classics

Majority of Optimuses and Megatrons from any series

and Any combiner that looks cool

Hobbyist Prime
08-19-2009, 12:11 AM
Anything and everything! :)

It's not just because it has the name transformers, I come from a family of engineers and I have always been awestruck by the design and planning that has gone into most of these plastic marvels!!!

brr-icy
08-19-2009, 12:25 AM
G1 (select figures until i have more room),
Animated complete minus skywarp (for now) and random repaints,
Classics/Universe 2.0 (complete minus cybertron repaints and beasts),
a little henkei,
Masterpiece (almost complete),
WST (need some of the chase figs, but have the ko combiner sets)
Alternators (complete),
i have a few random G1 homage bots, like TFTM Crankcase, and Energon Downshift, but those are the main lines i collect

g1 was what i grew up on. beast wars killed it for me when i was young, watched the show, but couldn't stand the toys, much like the movie lines,

Robimus
08-19-2009, 12:25 AM
Lets see....

Select G1 stuff

Classic/Universe G1 Characters

Select Movie Stuff

Select TFA stuff

And

Star Wars :D

borihazard
08-19-2009, 12:47 AM
TFA (cuz i actually liked the show, and love the "unique" jump from ur regular robot)

TFTM/ROTF (kind got me into transformers the first place, ended up selling most of it tho, other than bumblebees,ill probably go on with the human alliance stuff tho)

Classics/Universe (its kind of like G1 (though I actually dont know much about) but renewed?)

Masterpiece (they are simply the best)

and other random pieces of toys that seem unique

pulsedragon20
08-19-2009, 12:48 AM
I collect everything I can except BW (grew up with it and got tired of them and I lost most of them...so I lost encouragment to do so), Beast Machines (ugly looking characters and toys)

Sun Swipe Prime
08-19-2009, 01:09 AM
I collect anything and everything. If it's a figure I like. I'll get it. It doesn't matter what line it's from.

ChrisW
08-19-2009, 01:14 AM
I collect:

Classics/Universe/Henkei/Legends - I like the updated versions of G1 characters
Alternators/BT/Masterpiece - high quality and great detail, plus Geewunny goodness
Movie/RotF - Good engineering and nice alt modes
Animated - Enjoyed the show and the toys seem OK too

I mostly avoid:

G1/G2/Encore - Toys are too outdated
Armada/Energon/Cybertron - Never watched the shows; don't care about the characters
Beast Wars/Beast Machines - Good shows, but the toys just don't interest me
Club Exclusives/BotCon figures - Generally too expensive and not terribly compelling figures
Knockoffs/Unofficial Add-On Sets - No interest in low-quality KOs, and the add-on sets mostly don't interest me. The Classics trailers are tempting, though.

I do not collect any line in a completist manner; I only pick and choose the figures I like from each line.

Blurrz
08-19-2009, 01:17 AM
Armada.

Richter
08-19-2009, 03:26 AM
I started strictly collecting G1, mostly for the nostalgia, and well, of course, the value.

After that, I moved into Masterpiece. Upgraded G1, obviously :P

From there, I branched into Binaltech, mostly because I'm a gear-head, and love die-cast. Of course, moved into Alternity.

I have a few of the more realistic ROTF toys, and I'm lovin' the HA subline. I've also taken a fancy to Classics and Henkei, just because they're basically newschool and upgraded G1 toys.

I have a few Armada and Energon figures, but those are my least favourite. I've started looking for the harder to find late G1 stuff too, Masterforce, Victory and Zone.

mitsubot
08-19-2009, 05:07 AM
Anything based on real cars/vehicles since I'm a huge car freak.

snowtech
08-19-2009, 06:52 AM
Almost 95% on my TFA, still looking for some Alternators MISB and loose and Black OP. And I only buy some figure that i only like. Need to cut off my budget on my hobby, family always come first.

Wheelie
08-19-2009, 09:11 AM
Anything and everything I can get my grubby little hands on and that I can afford.

tusko
08-19-2009, 09:24 AM
I'm most interested in the Classics line and by extension the Classics Universe 2.0 toys.
Then G1.
Animated line.
Alternators.
Cybertron.
Homages to G1 in other lines.

I like real looking alt modes. Solid substantial robot modes.

FreedomGundam
08-19-2009, 09:36 AM
I don't actively collect any real "line" anymore; not really, anyways. At this point in time, I just buy whichever figures I like. Which is why I have only a few Universe 2.0, TFA, ROTF and Movie1 toys.

Lines that I've completed:
- Alternators
- Classics (1.0)

Lines that I have complete for now and up-to-date:
- Masterpiece (Well, almost. I have 20th Anniversary OP instead of MP-01, and I don't care for trailers so I don't have MP-04)
- Alternity

Shepp
08-19-2009, 09:58 AM
I collect perpendicular lines because they look just right.

QuadESL63
08-19-2009, 10:13 AM
I lines that I was actively collecting is G1, MP, Alternator/Binaltech, Universe/Classics/Henkei, Animated, (a little bit of) RoTF, ... etc. I decided to take a break at the moment so may be the answer should be "nothing"...

Off the top of my head the only lines that I haven't touched is Alternity (I really don't like that Prime and Meg... Bimblebee/Cliffjumper mold looks interesting, though) and Sports Label (a transforming Nike... how nice :rolleyes:).

Autobot Hound
08-19-2009, 10:26 AM
I have just a handful of a few lines.
Some G1
Some henkei (cons only)
Some universe autobots
Almost all beast wars characters that were on the show.
I only have a few stuff outside retail like THS-02 convoy, both the normal and black version (I need to get the galaxy version baaaad)
And the majority of collection are movie 1 & ROTF!!!!! I love this line!

jourdo
08-19-2009, 10:34 AM
Classics/Universe figures that are based on the G1 counterparts. I like them because they are modern updates to the classic toys. You can't go wrong there.

Alternators/Masterpiece. Same reason as above, but they just feel high end. I still think MP Optimus Prime has been the greatest TF ever made to date.

Animated. Although I think I am done with this line now, it ended up being a really good line. I loved the show, loved how well they translated to toys. Nothing really all that bad to say about the line.

Movie. I'm very selective here and grab the odd character here and there. So far, I'm only at 7 (2 of which I actually want to get rid of).

It is really rare for me to now jump on G1/G2, but I have a soft spot for the City Bots and Combiner teams. The basic toys just don't do it for me anymore given the awesome toys we have today!

Odds and ends: Which ever random figures interest me (eg. Mickey Mouse Prime).

Other than these, I'm hooked on DC Universe Classics.

Optimus_Prime
08-19-2009, 10:47 AM
Classics/Universe 2.0, Movie, and Animated (pretty much done with that, though). 72% of my collection actually falls under those three categories. I chose those because of a few reasons:

1. I only started really collecting in 2006, it was just random "buying" before that.

2. They can all be related to some type of visual media (Classics to the G1 cartoon, Animated to the TV series, movie to the movies)

3. They are found in most of the popular retail stores.

4. They are not as expensive as some other lines out there. For example, if I were to start collecting vintage or Masterpiece figures, I don't think my parents would let me get all that I'd need to even call it a collection.

I also set out some rules on specifically which figures to buy from the lines I collect and which not to, but I'll spare you from extensive boredom;)

Janitor
08-19-2009, 10:47 AM
G1 or G1-esque:

-G1 (duh!) and reissues (Encore, TRU & TFC reissues)
-Masterpiece: almost done. Only need Megs ("white Optimus" =/= Ultra Magnus)
-Classics/Universe 2.0/Henkei: just started this month. Kicking myself big time now that they're so much harder to find with the glut ROTF everywhere (vs before with all those Wal-Mart sales and such). Oh well, thrill of the hunt, right?
-the occasional one-off ie. Nike Sports Label

Didn't make the cut:
-the Bay movies
-Beast Wars (great show, ho-hum toys), BM
-Animated: just don't like the look and overall feel
-A/C/E: "Universe" Unicron ftw! :D

Transbot90210
08-19-2009, 12:02 PM
I collect all show figures from an American released show.
G1
BW/BM (all show characters including Ravage)
RID (all show character)
ARMADA (All show characters and new mould minicons)
ENERGON (All show characters and new mould minicons)
CYBERTRON(All show characters and new mould minicons)
ANIMATED (All show characters)
TF:TM 1 and 2 (All movie characters but skipped a few for part 2 cuz the repaints made no sense or the moulds didnt change at all)

I also collect g1 inspired figures such as MP, Alternators (all but the decepticon repaints and Rodimus)
Universe and Classics figures that were new moulds)

I will continue to collect G1, Animated, Movieverse, Universe and whatever else they put out with unique g1 inspired moulds and I look forward to the next series.

Basically my collecting is limited to characters on the screen. I never bought a mould that was never on a show, no matter how great the figure is.

Thanx
Transbot90210

UltraMarknus
08-19-2009, 01:07 PM
honestly...anything and everything. No matter the line, if I like the toy, I get it. I have been an Animated and RID completist. With Classics I have only purchased new molds...I refuse to purchase Cybertron repaints....ok, except for the Springer and Roadbuster packs....

Prowl_2009
08-19-2009, 03:47 PM
I kind of enjoy a little bit of everything, but my collection mostly consists of G1, since it was the original and the series I grew up with as a child of the 80's and the movie and movie tie-in lines! My favorite Transformers to collect are the exclusive ones! I have a few (Big Daddy, G1 Jazz) and I am really, really looking forward to the new exclusives being released this fall like the Toys R Us Insecticons & Preceptor, Powerglide and the new fire scheme Fallen! There are some great pieces coming out this year and I am eagerly looking forward to them all!!! :D

MeisterJ4zz
08-20-2009, 01:37 AM
I collect TFs that are very identifiable to their G1 look so it has been Universe 2.0, and I usually regret getting the ones that aren't in scale according to each other's height in robot mode.

I'm not a fan of the Movieverse but I got ROTF Leader Optimus Prime which was the exception since he looks like the OP we know.

Rocnation
08-20-2009, 03:07 PM
Movieverse <3

I like the more realistic designs, and how the alt forms are actual vehicles.

Prowl_2009
08-20-2009, 03:22 PM
I hear ya Rocnation! The movieverse is a great line! I am nuts about the repainted G1 deco Solstace used on the Target Exclusive Jazz and the Dodge Charger inspired sculpt used for Big Daddy! :cool:

Echotransformer
08-20-2009, 06:44 PM
I actually tend to collect 'by character'. I really like in the Masterpiece how they show "All Line up of 'X transformer'" at the end of the instructions. This has shown me previous versions of the character, many of which are really cool. So I try to get "All molds of Primes", "All molds of Magnus", "All molds of Seekers", "All molds of BBs" "All molds of Hot Rods" etc. etc.

From a line standpoint?

G1 is a high priority for sure, and from what I can tell it has the most figures in it by far. It will probably take me many more year to complete this (if one is to include Victory, etc.)

I have many leaders from Beast Wars/Machines eras.

I've back filled 90%-95% of RID/Armada....and purchased Energon/Cybertron/Animated mostly in-store. (Animated being my favorite and most complete)

I have some of the Movie stuff...mostly core characters.

Classicverse is amazing...the new G1 for me. Must have for the most part, tho there are some repaints I've skipped in hopes for new molds...

But other than G1, it's the Masterpiece/Alt/Binaltech/THS/Alternity and other hyper-detailed stuff that is MUST have.

Gawd I love collecting!

malteselegacy
08-20-2009, 06:46 PM
I collect G1,Animated,Transformers 2007,ROTF....they had to be in the series or in the movie though.

Metroplex79
08-20-2009, 11:27 PM
G1...trying to complete it
G2...trying to complete it
ANI...got all I want so far
Classics/UNI...got all I want so far

Cheers Ian
08-21-2009, 05:10 PM
G1: I'm pretty selective when I pick up stuff from G1, most is nostalgia but in other cases it's because we haven't had that characted updated since G1 (Omega Supreme, Sky Lynx, Trypticon etc) I also pick up the Encore version in some cases

Beast Wars: Loved the Show, but I only pick up the Show Appearance characters except for a few exeptions (Razorbeast, Cybershark), I also have some BW: Neo stuff because the figures are really cool (Big Convoy, Stampy, Heinlad)

Classics/Universe: Updated toys of classic G1 Characters? Can't go wrong here.

Animated: Amazing toys and a great G1 Homage!

Movieverse: The ROTF toys are very intricate and again I usually only pick up Onscreen Autobots. I've been picking up more scouts this time around though, because they are so Unique (Bi Plane, Forklift, Microscope)

Masterpiece: The name says it all...

I have a few random figures from other lines, but those are my big ones and why I collect them.

Cheers!
-Ian

Sting Rose
08-21-2009, 09:49 PM
I'm a n00b to collecting. I never knocked the hobby; the appeal of it just didn't strike a chord in me at the time, until I saw the Animated figures. They're just so dynamic, bright and attractive, fun, ridiculously show-accurate, and well-engineered. I figured "What's the harm in one?" 8D And then "Ooh, I love <insert char>, what could it hurt to get them, too?"

Hahaha...I now have a giant pile of toys in the corner of my room. DX

Through Animated, I've come to have a greater appreciation of everything else (ask my wallet 8P), so much so that I still tear my hair out whenever I think about how if I'd only been into collecting in 08 so I could have bought that Shattered Glass set. Argh. ARGH. DX

But yeah, Animated's the only line I strive to achieve some form of completion in, everything else depends on whether or not it catches my eye (or whatever evil internet personalities tell me to buy, damn them. >8C). There is no method to the madness that is my collection. XD

Oh, and Robot Heroes. Love those little guys; and I need 'em all. XD

But yeah:
-Animated
-Robot Heroes
-With dabbling in Universe, RotF, yada yada yada

chovner
08-21-2009, 10:27 PM
I collect Alternators primarily... they're just too nice to not have, but expensive :( Lately that's what i've been collecting, i've still got a few G1's, beast wars & energons laying around.

Alexander Quinn
09-19-2009, 07:04 PM
I collect from any line that hits mainstream retail. I don't have any angles, like line completionist or G1 characters only; I just look over each figure and decide if I like it or not. No imports though; I just don't have the cash to spread it all around the globe. :)

Pascal
09-19-2009, 08:24 PM
Animated
Movie 1 & 2
Masterpiece, Binaltech & Alternity
Henkei
Crossovers
G1 (eventually)

sarmick01
09-19-2009, 08:28 PM
My main collection is centered around Jetfire. He was my favourite since I was a kid(although back then he was a lot bigger, lol). Other than that I only collect ones that I like. Ones with cool alt moeds and all the good guys that were in both movies. Also combiners rock!!!

Tekkamanraiden
09-19-2009, 09:32 PM
Classics/Universe as enjoy the re imaginings of my favorite G1 figures.