PDA

View Full Version : 25th Anniversary Optimus Prime on Sale at Toys "R" Us

GMfan
08-05-2009, 02:31 PM
From August 7th to the 13th you can visit your local Toys "R" Us to find Transformers Universe 25th Anniversary Optimus Prime for $29.97 (normally $49.99). Thanks to StarwarsTF for reporting this.

tusko
08-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Nice.

Autobot Hound
08-05-2009, 02:51 PM
wicked!! i can now finally buy him and not feel jipped!!

Uberman
08-05-2009, 02:59 PM
That would explain the wire-box-thing full of them at the TRS this morning.

Although, just for clarity, it isn't the one pictured above. At least not at the store I was at.

EDIT: Corrected! Magical Internets.

GMfan
08-05-2009, 03:02 PM
Good pics of the Canadian box are so hard to find

Janitor
08-05-2009, 03:09 PM
We all knew this would finally happen!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but umm...the Prime pictured there isn't the same as what Canadian TRUs/stores carry (with the comic book & dvd). I believe all we got was just the figure and voice changer. Good thing I had a friend pick up one for me from Target in the States :D

Edit: nevermind, it's been addressed

GMfan
08-05-2009, 03:13 PM
Comes with the comic...no DVD

Since there seems to be much concern I dug around for a proper pic

jjwankenobi
08-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Hmmmm...

A discounted G1 Prime with circumcised smoke stacks and sun-faded colouring or a Voyager Class RotF Megatron that converts into a mecha trilobite.

Decisions, decisions...

JSon
08-05-2009, 03:56 PM
SOLD!

tusko
08-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Price matched at Walmart... will that work?

Robimus
08-05-2009, 04:11 PM
I might take the plunge on him now. Just in time for payday!:D

jacobot
08-05-2009, 05:14 PM
$79.99 for the longest time there... Now that's better :)

"no rainchecks" LOL... Expecting them to fly off the shelf I guess

generalblast
08-05-2009, 06:00 PM
Whoa....... That was a close one. Went to Toys R" Us yesterday and saw this. Kinda interested yesterday, but not anymore. Yesterday was $49, today is $29. One day is a big difference.

I think they're clearing for toys later on, like ROTF Supreme Devy. Never saw him yet, but they are clearing it out alright.

Tekkamanraiden
08-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Price matched at Walmart... will that work?

Only if they advertise in a flyer.

Cheers Ian
08-05-2009, 06:17 PM
I still won't pay $30 for a Pinky-Red Prime with Short Stacks.

Cheers!
-Ian

onecoin
08-05-2009, 06:19 PM
wicked!! i can now finally buy him and not feel jipped!!

I can buy him now and feel less jipped.

Robimus
08-05-2009, 07:53 PM
To answer Jourdo's question from the defunct thread about how many G1 Primes one guy needs......

I don't have any, and never had one:p This would be a first G1'ish Prime for me.:D

JaySmith
08-05-2009, 08:13 PM
To answer Jourdo's question from the defunct thread about how many G1 Primes one guy needs......

I don't have any, and never had one:p This would be a first G1'ish Prime for me.:D

And here I've only got:

2 Generation 1 Optimus Primes
1 Generation 2 Optimus Prime
1 Commemorative TRU Optimus Prime
1 25th Anniversary Optimus Prime (US Edition)

and I still want to eventually add the New Years Eve Optimus Prime, and JAFCON Optimus Prime to my collection at some point. If I hadn't sold it, I would also have the Botcon Pepsi Optimus Prime. :( Is it wrong that I'm now considering purchasing the 25th Anniversary Optimus Prime (CDN Edition)? lol

Z_Unit
08-05-2009, 09:13 PM
I got my New Years Prime years ago; I absolutely love it. A few years later I got a Takara reissue Prime for my sis for $60 (at a toy show) and she game me the axe. A year later I got another MISB New Years Prime at the same show for $80 (that's almost $100 less that what I paid for the 1st one)... I love toy shows.

I think a some people are already gonna go to TRU and get their 25th Primes before Friday's sale so they can just price adjust latter (just in case they'll be sold out by then). There's way too many stocked though and I'm still on the fence about this one (it's the crappiest G1 Prime redo in my mind).

Alexander Quinn
08-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Why can't there be a TRU up the street from me? Now I've got a find a ride into the city. Gah...

C_Shewins
08-05-2009, 09:26 PM
It is cheap now, but still not buying =P

Darkspeed
08-05-2009, 10:28 PM
Hm, very very tempting... But should I still splash out for a Takara release?

TheLogicalProwl
08-05-2009, 10:35 PM
I just snagged a G1 Prime knockoff that looks pretty damn good. The only reason why I might get this now is to do some kitbashing. Decisions, decisions....

Ah well, we all knew that TRU would take a bath on one of Hasbro's biggest mistakes.

Mighty_Galvatron
08-05-2009, 10:43 PM
The price is right so I'm probably going to pick one up this weekend. Not worried about them being sold out beforehand though, as I recall MANY on the shelves. However, this is most likely going to spiral into a purchase of HA Bumblebee and who knows what else.:eek:

soundwaveCA
08-06-2009, 01:53 AM
I wouldn't take him at any price, it's an awful release and should be bought by no one.

Icetron
08-06-2009, 02:46 AM
I'm grabbing a set because I don't own any G1 Primes and this seems to be the cheapest way to get one of these guys so whatever. :)

TheLogicalProwl
08-06-2009, 10:32 AM
I'm grabbing a set because I don't own any G1 Primes and this seems to be the cheapest way to get one of these guys so whatever. :)

That might be the only reason to get this Prime. I'm sure if scrounge around online you might find replacement stacks so at least he can look somewhat right.

Jefro
08-06-2009, 10:38 AM
I wouldn't take him at any price, it's an awful release and should be bought by no one.

I kind of feel the same way as I personally grew up with the rarer Canadian G1 Prime that had the metal plates in the trailer, gray roller and gray missiles etc...

On this one, the colours are off. Then theirs the smoke stacks and the long missiles vs short and then the blue roller vs gray. If it were the other way around I'd defiantly buy it thou as it would be more true to the original.

Razorwing
08-06-2009, 10:50 AM
still not getting till it hits only $20.

Batman
08-06-2009, 05:39 PM
It's still too expensive for this horrible reissue.

Stapler
08-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Looks like I'll have to call my sister and have her snag me one.:) And to think that she was telling me to get one when they first came out because she thought they would sell like hotcakes.:rolleyes:

Icetron
08-06-2009, 06:55 PM
I'm just curious, is it really that bad? I think he looks decent, and for $30, with the package+contents having a decent weight is a fair deal.

Then again, I'm a guy that bought the 20th DVD Prime and was fine with that.

imo I just don't think it's worth it to pay $50-80 for a reissue, but maybe it's just me since I never grew up with a G1 Prime in the first place but I do understand why people are annoyed at the colour 'lightening'.

(No I'm not colourblind...)

Autobot Hound
08-06-2009, 06:56 PM
I'm just curious, is it really that bad? I think he looks decent, and for $30, with the package+contents having a decent weight is a fair deal.

imo I just don't think it's worth it to pay $50-80 for a reissue, but maybe it's just me since I never grew up with a G1 Prime in the first place but I do understand why people are annoyed at the colour 'lightening'.

ya mean 25th anni Pinky Prime?? lolzzz!!

oh who am i kidding, im still going to TRU tomorrow and picking 1 up!

Icetron
08-06-2009, 06:58 PM
Yeah I mean 25th Prime.

SMOG
08-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Can anyone tell me if this has been seen in Quebec? We often get shafted for these specialty releases... I'm just curious if it's been confirmed whether we'll be getting them or not.

Also, anybody got a gallery link so I can see this re-issue and check out the pinky red myself? :)

zmog

Icetron
08-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Here I guess? http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/25th-anniversary-optimus-prime-gallery-and-review/14301/

SMOG
08-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Awesome, thanks! :)

zmgo

Z_Unit
08-06-2009, 08:43 PM
If you need him for parts then $30 is still worth it. If you don't own a G1 Prime already and you're on a budget it's worth it. If you have the money to spare and you need a proper Prime, then buy an Encore Prime for under $70 US online (there're plenty of stores selling him).

I'm gonna get a 25th Prime as a present for a friend and I might get one for myself... maybe.

Icetron
08-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Hmm what sites have the Encores for under $70? I could use the 25th as a 'play with' Prime, technically. :p

Mighty_Galvatron
08-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Its not a bad figure overall. Sure, it has some odd features but overall $30 is an excellent deal for a reissue Prime. Worth the money imo.

And he's not pink, its just a really different red than we are used to. I currently have the New Year's Prime - and that's it for G1 Prime. I will pick this 25th version up tomorrow.

A "play with" version is a good idea. Since G1 Prime is so delicate to begin with...the price is right for the 25th...

Z_Unit
08-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Hmm what sites have the Encores for under $70? I could use the 25th as a 'play with' Prime, technically. :p

In your case the easiest way is to take a nice drive to Jay's Clock and pay only $69.99 CDN for it. Buy a lifetime membership for $15 and you'll get 10% off all your purchases too! Give them a call first so they can save one for ya.

http://www.jaysclock.com/Store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=27_54_61_204&products_id=135

Icetron
08-06-2009, 09:41 PM
Wow, I didn't know they had them. Will definitely check with them when I decide to get one. :) Thanks!

Batman
08-06-2009, 11:39 PM

Its not a bad figure overall. Sure, it has some odd features but overall $30 is an excellent deal for a reissue Prime. Worth the money imo.

And he's not pink, its just a really different red than we are used to. I currently have the New Year's Prime - and that's it for G1 Prime. I will pick this 25th version up tomorrow.

A "play with" version is a good idea. Since G1 Prime is so delicate to begin with...the price is right for the 25th...

He really is that bad. I foolishly opened the one I was given as a gift and was faced with nothing but disappointment. He is a weird pink/red/orange color (in any lighting), much worse then Universe Ironhide. The painted die cast on the chest is noticeably different than the plastic. The plastic is extremely cheap and soft feeling, the hands were molded weird, the chrome flakes off of the stacks and grill really easily and I could go on and on. Not to mention there is no DVD. The only redeeming thing about this reissue is the sticker sheet and the voice box. Thats it. I sold mine to BBTS for store credit because I figured no one wanted it. The Takara gold label, Hasbro commemerative, and Encore reissues are 1 million x better then this. Spend the extra cash and get the Encore, you will be much happier. It seems like some people wanted to like this reissue because they either paid way to much for it ($80 + tax) or got a deal ($30 + tax). The bottom line, this toy sucks.

Mighty_Galvatron
08-07-2009, 12:14 AM
He really is that bad. I foolishly opened the one I was given as a gift and was faced with nothing but disappointment. He is a weird pink/red/orange color (in any lighting), much worse then Universe Ironhide. The painted die cast on the chest is noticeably different than the plastic. The plastic is extremely cheap and soft feeling, the hands were molded weird, the chrome flakes off of the stacks and grill really easily and I could go on and on. Not to mention there is no DVD. The only redeeming thing about this reissue is the sticker sheet and the voice box. Thats it. I sold mine to BBTS for store credit because I figured no one wanted it. The Takara gold label, Hasbro commemerative, and Encore reissues are 1 million x better then this. Spend the extra cash and get the Encore, you will be much happier. It seems like some people wanted to like this reissue because they either paid way to much for it ($80 + tax) or got a deal ($30 + tax). The bottom line, this toy sucks.

Wow that sounds really really bad.

Tomorrow I will take a look at him in person and think about what you said. Maybe I won't get him as I did not know the plastic was cheap or that the chrome comes off so easily.

Stapler
08-07-2009, 04:18 PM
I rang up my sister and I expect to have Prime the next time she visits. But the stories of the figures poor quality is starting to unnerve me some. The way I look at it: At best, I'll finally have a G1 Prime to call my own. At worst, I'll finally have a trailer to give to my Classics Prime.;)

Icetron
08-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Wow that sounds really really bad.

Tomorrow I will take a look at him in person and think about what you said. Maybe I won't get him as I did not know the plastic was cheap or that the chrome comes off so easily.

Could be just a QC issue on that particular one. Who knows, I'm going to give it a shot.

Darth Grimlock
08-07-2009, 04:29 PM
I didn't like him when I was a kid, still don't like him now. Not even for $30. Now that Masterpiece guy, now that's a Prime......

Pascal
08-07-2009, 04:37 PM
If I was on the moon and given a pole long enough to reach Earth, I still wouldn't touch it.

malteselegacy
08-07-2009, 05:03 PM
I bought it today but am not opening it.....looks fine to me...compared it to my other and the red does not look that different....I like it.

Uberman
08-07-2009, 05:10 PM
Considering I don't otherwise own any version of this figure [and as a Transformer nerd neophyte it seems in poor taste to NOT own one] I got it, and I like it. Now, maybe that's precisely because I DON'T have a "good" version to compare it to, but for what it is, and its cost, I'm quite happy to have the guy, pinkish hue and oddly light trailer with super-long launch spring and all.

Mighty_Galvatron
08-07-2009, 06:31 PM
If I was on the moon and given a pole long enough to reach Earth, I still wouldn't touch it.

Yeah 'cause you'd be too busy stroking your Supreme RotF Devy. jk:)

...Just got him today. No issues thus far; I think he's great for $30.

Icetron
08-07-2009, 06:52 PM
^ Good to hear something positive about the figure. I'll probably open mine later tonight when I finish up some things. :)

rhinoxmaximal
08-07-2009, 06:53 PM
I went today to look at him closely and I've decided to wait for a better sale. I think I just got used to the deeper red. Maybe at $20... maybe...

Mighty_Galvatron
08-07-2009, 07:09 PM
I went today to look at him closely and I've decided to wait for a better sale. I think I just got used to the deeper red. Maybe at $20... maybe...

But just imagine how much more complete your sig. will be with a pinkish Prime in the mix.

Megamould
08-07-2009, 07:11 PM
I paid $40 for him awhile ago and felt wrong about it. Impulse buy. Pretty lame for a 25th anniversary edition. I think $25 is more realistic for this version.

CobraCommander
08-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Yup a buck a year sounds about right... too bad it doesn't have the groovy artwork and DVD like the US version.

Poho
08-08-2009, 12:41 AM
FINALLY it goes on sale for a reasonable price. i may buy two!

Sun Swipe Prime
08-08-2009, 01:29 AM
I bought him today, and I think he's fine for the price. After 25yrs I finally got to buy prime at retail. Comparing him to my G1 prime, yes the colors are different but now I can seal away G1 prime now and mess around with the new one. Also, it seems the price is just right for a lot of other people. There are reports that they're flying off the shelves now.

One final thing to think about. In 1984 the original prime cost $20. If you adjust for inflation, he'd cost $40 today. So in my opinion, it's a solid deal and worth it especially if you don't already own a version of this.

nicoath
08-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Hello there guys! Just wanted to ask if anybody would be able to pick one up for me? I travel to Toronto often, stay either in downtown area or Mississauga, and would appreciate it because wanted to get one for my nephew's birthday in September! Love getting kids into what dad had and not the takes-15min-to-transform-and-kids-lose-interest figures coming out (although I love classics/universe/movie/masterpiece for myself). It will never arrive nor can be ordered (unless for massive inflated price) for Quebec because Optimus doesn't say "Bonjour" or "Comment ca va"with a bilingual comic book and toy stickers! Bulls*%t as always. If anybody can hook a brother up, I have a commerative myself but don't want to re-gift it! Have some figure shops here if I can grab something to help someone also!

Nick

exoskeleton
08-08-2009, 02:05 PM
i got it yesterday and i think it's perfectly fine.

rhinoxmaximal
08-08-2009, 03:57 PM
But just imagine how much more complete your sig. will be with a pinkish Prime in the mix.

LOL. That's true :)

well, I really just want one to display in Alt mode. Then I'll create another signature :)

Icetron
08-09-2009, 03:38 AM
Just opened mine, he's amazing. For $30? It's almost a steal, and I didn't even bother removing the trailer yet.

I wish I had one of these when I was 10. :(

pandaprime
08-09-2009, 03:41 AM
Just opened mine, he's amazing. For $30? It's almost a steal, and I didn't even bother removing the trailer yet.

I wish I had one of these when I was 10. :(

Ditto!

and I did have one when I was 10! ahhh the memories! :D:p:)

Icetron
08-11-2009, 03:21 AM
Hmm not sure if this is the right thread to post, but is there any way to get the voice box out without destroying the plastic tray?

I got the cab + trailer out without removing anything so I want to get the voice box out too.

Mighty_Galvatron
08-11-2009, 10:18 PM
Hmm not sure if this is the right thread to post, but is there any way to get the voice box out without destroying the plastic tray?

I got the cab + trailer out without removing anything so I want to get the voice box out too.

What rage that brought out of me!!!

Yeah I could not manage taking that thing out without a little destruction of the box.:(

I ended up taking my swiss army knife and slicing three sides of the plastic bubble, just underneath the voice box. Then I pulled it out though one of the sides. To the casual looker, the box seems perfectly intact (I cut well...)...but it isn't.

Icetron
08-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Ah that's a shame, I wish they just made a tray with 2 slots on the cardboard (like the tray with Wheelie + everything else). :(