PDA

View Full Version : Transformers ROTF Still #1 at Box Office

Robimus
07-08-2009, 01:34 AM
So ROTF just barely held on to its top ranking in weekend two of released, pulling in about a million dollars more than Ice Age 3D.

It has dropped 61.2% though according to the article that I read and made just over 42 million dollars in its second weekend of release.

While it certainly still looks like it will surpass TFTM 1's box office total it might not be by that significant an amount.

Razorwing
07-08-2009, 01:40 AM
Cool. didn't expect that.lol.

onecoin
07-08-2009, 01:55 AM
That's too bad because I enjoyed Public Enemies and Ice Age so much more.

Protoman
07-08-2009, 02:01 AM
$600 million right now...... only $100 million more to go.

Richter
07-08-2009, 02:13 AM
Proof that the general population is de-evolving ;)

onecoin
07-08-2009, 02:15 AM
Proof that the general population is de-evolving ;)

Sad isn't it.

GMfan
07-08-2009, 02:16 AM
Sad considering de-evolving is next to impossible....

Icetron
07-08-2009, 02:21 AM
I hope the theatre isn't full tomorrow, I haven't seen the film yet. :(

Richter
07-08-2009, 02:35 AM
Sad considering de-evolving is next to impossible....

Sorry, let me rephrase:

"Further evidence of a weakened human genome"

?

onecoin
07-08-2009, 02:37 AM
LAWLZ

GMfan
07-08-2009, 03:36 AM
Sure that works if you believe totally in nature and nothing of nurture...course anyone with common sense can see that DNA isn't to blame for everything.

That and the human genome wouldn't weaken...genomes are just coding regions of DNA, they'd more likely be altered resulting in non-favourable traits, only way "de-evolution" would happen would be if these non-favoured traits are perpetuated in a population and eventually overtake the majority population and the chances of that happened are slim to none.

I believe what you are looking for is there's further evidence in improper neural synaptic transmission resulting in a less intelligent population but what do I know?

Richter
07-08-2009, 04:58 AM
Improper neural synaptic transmission would result in a less intelligent person, but not a population. That's like saying, 'brain damage results in a dumber population'. While true, not exactly what I'm trying to say.

I'm pretty sure that 'weak genome' is a pretty widely accepted euphemism for 'propagation of unfavourable genetic traits'.

If we're going to go beyond nit-picking my cheap shot at a film with more explosions than acting, we can start talking about those crackpot theories that predict a schism in the human population resulting in a 'master race' and subspecies based on humans natural selective breeding habits :)

But like you said, what do I know?

onecoin
07-08-2009, 05:24 AM
I believe what you are looking for is there's further evidence in improper neural synaptic transmission resulting in a less intelligent population but what do I know?

Didn't he just say that the ROTF box office is proof of that? I feel like we're talking in circles.

brr-icy
07-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Didn't he just say that the ROTF box office is proof of that? I feel like we're talking in circles.

that we are onecoin, that we are.............

Pascal
07-08-2009, 10:49 AM
Isn't Ice Age 3 lame? That's what I'm reading everywhere.

Batman
07-08-2009, 11:09 AM

I heard this too.

jacobot
07-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Doing my part... Seen it 4 times now:D
All with Airmiles tickets though ;)

Razorwing
07-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Doing my part... Seen it 4 times now:D
All with Airmiles tickets though ;)
lol.

GMfan
07-08-2009, 12:38 PM
But like you said, what do I know?

I know that we're proving that people with brains can enjoy a "crappy film"

chans formers
07-08-2009, 01:07 PM
lmao!!!you guys just know how to entertain a guy!!:D(personally i think it's awesome the movie has passed 600million already.)now if only we could figure out a way to get a cut from that chunk of change:rolleyes:

tusko
07-08-2009, 01:26 PM
I'm glad the movie is doing well but sad about the precedent its setting. CG, boobies, ka-booms and cars is all it takes to make a hit.
Anyway, I hope it funds many more TF movies that allow for more creative, character and plot driven stories to be explored. Even if they are OVA type productions. There is a market for this fiction.

Sun Swipe Prime
07-08-2009, 02:06 PM

Yeah. I think it's just a matter of switching off the right parts of the brain. The movie pushes you along and tries not to let you think about anything because the moment you do, it comes down like a house of cards. A lot of movies can feel bad or good depending on your mindset.

Richter
07-08-2009, 03:10 PM

Hey, I enjoyed it quite a bit. It was just really really stupid, and had a bunch of problems. But again, I also like lots of bad movies.
I just couldn't imagine someone with brains who wasn't an enthusiast enjoying it though, that's my point.

Richter
07-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Yeah. I think it's just a matter of switching off the right parts of the brain. The movie pushes you along and tries not to let you think about anything because the moment you do, it comes down like a house of cards. A lot of movies can feel bad or good depending on your mindset.

Also, the amount of drugs you do beforehand has a lot to do with it :P

Team Jetfire
07-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Ice Age was passable as a kid’s movie, hence why my kids liked it. I thought it was pointless and boring with all the funny parts featured in the commercials.

jourdo
07-08-2009, 04:03 PM
It just goes to show you sex and explosions can take you a very long way in this world!

Ice Age was passable as a kid’s movie, hence why my kids liked it. I thought it was pointless and boring with all the funny parts featured in the commercials.

So what you are saying is I can record a bunch of commercials, loop them together and pass it off as a movie to my kids? Sweet!!

Team Jetfire
07-08-2009, 06:06 PM
lol, I wish my dad did that for me with Kindergarden cop.

onecoin
07-08-2009, 06:10 PM

Yeah. But we all still enjoyed it more.

GMfan
07-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Yeah. But we all still enjoyed it more.

Speak for yourself

onecoin
07-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Speak for yourself

I will. The whole baby is coming thing was lame. But Sid with the scribbled face Dino eggs was hilarious, so was the laughing gas scene and the weasel twins had their moments. But the best part was when Diego couldn't catch the Gazelle, that was priceless.

Pascal
07-08-2009, 06:21 PM
I'll have to see it anyway, I enjoyed the first 2 movies.

Protoman
07-08-2009, 06:22 PM
80 million away from TF1 now.

Pascal
07-08-2009, 08:38 PM
I wonder in how many more robots that will translate to for Transformers 3. :p

CobraCommander
07-08-2009, 08:57 PM

I liked it, but I'm probably being biased as it was the 1st 3D movie I've seen and I dig the Dinos. Better than the 2nd one at least... less Queen Shaniqua :)

onecoin
07-08-2009, 09:03 PM
I liked it, but I'm probably being biased as it was the 1st 3D movie I've seen and I dig the Dinos. Better than the 2nd one at least... less Queen Shaniqua :)

I saw it in 3D. Other than the flying scene, I don't think the 3D added to it like it did in Up or Monster vs Aliens. I think I would have been just as happy watching it non-3D.

Pascal
07-08-2009, 11:18 PM
I've only seen Polar Express in 3D (in Vancouver, when I was living there). That was actually pretty cool.

Robimus
07-09-2009, 12:23 AM
You know despite the bad to silly plot there was a lot of entertainment value in ROTF, especially for Transformer fans, I'd think.

I know I'll watch it one more time in the theater yet myself despite my overall dislike for the general plot and the Fallen. Bumblebee was cool, Ravage was cool, Soundwave was cool, Prime was pretty badass and Simmons saved America and defeated Devestator all by himself :p That in itself is worth another $9 :)

onecoin
07-09-2009, 03:00 AM
That in itself is worth another $9

For everytime I have to watch it, I tell myself that its worth it for the forest fight.

blitz
07-09-2009, 11:03 PM
For everytime I have to watch it, I tell myself that its worth it for the forest fight.Thats my favorite part of the movie too.

Richter
07-10-2009, 04:32 AM
So I'll take you ALL on!!

Because of all the money this shizz is making, TF3 will have a COLOSSAL budget. And it will STINK at the box office. And that will be the end of transformers movies for 25 more years. Mark my words.

onecoin
07-10-2009, 04:49 AM

Because of all the money this shizz is making, TF3 will have a COLOSSAL budget. And it will STINK at the box office. And that will be the end of transformers movies for 25 more years. Mark my words.

I predicted that in another thread.

Richter
07-10-2009, 08:25 AM
Suuuurreee

I predicted that you'd predict it in another thread

Sun Swipe Prime
07-10-2009, 01:01 PM

Nah, transformers is too resilient, too entrenched to die or go into hybernation for too long. They'll just make progressivly cheaper and probably worse movies until they finally make a good one and everything goes crazy again like Batman.

The toys have been in constant production around the world for 25yrs, so I think in the long run, even a dog of a tranformers movie will make money through dvd sales, rentals, etc.

onecoin
07-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Suuuurreee

I predicted that you'd predict it in another thread

I predicted that you would predict that I predicted it in another thread.

Team Jetfire
07-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Transformers will not be over until the Action Masters sing...:)

Mighty_Galvatron
07-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Transformers will not be over until the Action Masters sing...:)

Ha!

Protoman
07-10-2009, 07:29 PM
Currently at $650 million today (another 34 from yesterday). Only 58 more till it beats the original. Getting really CLOSE.

Protoman
07-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Quick update. Transformers Revenge of the Fallen JUST beat The Transformers (2007) in the North American/Domestic overall sales, now all that's left is the 50 Million of Worldwide sales............. well well then.

Endersrun
07-13-2009, 03:08 PM
I should have bought stock on the Cybertronian market when I had the chance...I think that was around Robots in Disguise period...

Baryonyx
07-13-2009, 04:41 PM
I'm not happy that the movie is making so much money. It would be nice for Mr. Bay to get a slap on the wrists, perhaps to think about a decent script and a sober editor next time.

Team Jetfire
07-13-2009, 05:02 PM
I'm not happy that the movie is making so much money. It would be nice for Mr. Bay to get a slap on the wrists, perhaps to think about a decent script and a sober editor next time.

I see what you mean, but this movie making money can only mean good things for Transformers fans. If the movie bombed it could have been the end onf the Franchise. This way, Hasbro has more of a reason to branch off to other non-moive related stuff.

GMfan
07-13-2009, 05:20 PM
Ya keeping in mind this is still money in Hasbro's pocket to put into Transformers in general, be it movie product or non.

Protoman
07-13-2009, 07:01 PM
Current update:

- ROTF beats Titanic in ticket sales in China. It's now #1

- ROTF is 30 million away from beating TF 2007 in worldwide ticket sales, standing at #33

- ROTF currently is 20 million ahead of TF 2007 in domestic ticket sales and stands at #16.

When it beats those worldwide sales, it will officially be better then TF 2007 in everyway by the numbers.

Sun Swipe Prime
07-13-2009, 07:55 PM

Well, I think the critics are giving him the ol' slap. He's infamous now for directing the highest grossing worst rated fillm. You have to think that enough kicks at the can and he'll eventually be able to please not only the fans but the critics.

Transformers making money is a good thing in that it shows execs that it's a money making franchise. Which means that they may be a little more willing to spend money on the next movie as well as putting more money into producing the toys.

onecoin
07-13-2009, 08:01 PM
No franchise is immune to public backlash. Star Wars, Gundam, Superman, Batman, Spider-man, TMNT, POTC, Indiana Jones. Cashing in now might effect the long term prosperity.

jjwankenobi
07-13-2009, 08:05 PM
Perhaps the TF movie franchise will go down the same path the Spider-Man movie franchise went and we'll see more crying humans in TF3...

onecoin
07-13-2009, 08:08 PM
Perhaps the TF movie franchise will go down the same path the Spider-Man movie franchise went and we'll see more crying humans in TF3...

I smell cabaret jazz dance sequence, followed by leg humping. They already pulled a "Venom" with Devastator.