PDA

View Full Version : HasbroToyShop.com Finally Ships to Canada

Code of Honor
07-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Looks like Hasbro finally threw the switch, HasbroToyShop.com (http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/) now ships to Canada! There are issues however, not everything on the site is available to Canadians, and shipping appears to be rather expensive. Read on for more info.

Our Thanks go out to Slythe for posting this news

Slythe
07-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Looks like www.Hasbrotoyshop.com (http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com) now ships to Canada.

Let's see if anyone can actually order anything, and if it makes it across that long, scary border.

onecoin
07-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Today is a good day. I just wonder how they ship.

Uberman
07-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Nards, the ONE thing I want in "Only available in the US."

Crap in a hat! But thanks for the effort, Hasbro.

Dragon Knight
07-06-2009, 06:12 PM
So does that mean they'll charge us what the US is paying for these? or is it all Canadian prices?

Optimus_Prime
07-06-2009, 06:14 PM
Excellent. Now the only problem is whether my parents will be willing to use any of the listed payment methods...

Uberman
07-06-2009, 06:14 PM
Shipping and Tax on figures is pretty high. I'm not paying American tax either. Pfft!

JaySmith
07-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Shitty deals, as soon as they remove both Wreck-Gar and Inferno from the website they now ship to Canadians. lol

CTO15
07-06-2009, 06:19 PM
just in time for SDCC!

So I just tried out the site, and apparently HTS doesn't accept paypal from non-Us members? WTF?

Edit: Also, shipping for a voyager is approx $30? thats pretty shitty...

astrana
07-06-2009, 06:27 PM
just in time for SDCC!

So I just tried out the site, and apparently HTS doesn't accept paypal from non-Us members? WTF?

Edit: Also, shipping for a voyager is approx $30? thats pretty shitty...

HTS charges 174 for SDCC nemesis prime, and 119 for Titanium Skywarp... wtf.

Oasis
07-06-2009, 06:47 PM
And thus ends my career as a toy mule.

Benzo
07-06-2009, 06:53 PM
sweet! but shipping is expensive :(

Protoman
07-06-2009, 07:50 PM
I hate to troll, but wow....... expensive.

GMfan
07-06-2009, 08:06 PM
And thus ends my career as a toy mule.

Oh no it's not!

racerguy76
07-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Went and checcked some rpices and filled in the survey. Every time you rate the websites service they ask how could that be improved or why would you not reccomend this website to someone, I answered "the cost of shiping to canada". I must have typed that 5 times.

And the one item I really wanted of course, is only available in the USA.
________
Toyota Belta (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_Belta)

Bruticus82
07-06-2009, 08:29 PM
Huh, I would have expected an actual, I don't know... announcement from them.

They should be excited that they now offer shipping to Canada....

Edit: With regards to shipping, $30 seems to be their base price, even an SE Deluxe figure ($15.99) costs $30 to ship.

However, if you go and order say, 5 Darth Vader crossover figures (the big death star ones) along with that, then shipping is only like, $50 for everything. So it's not so bad for larger orders. This might result in some group buy potential.

slippy
07-06-2009, 09:05 PM
well that was a letdown

onecoin
07-06-2009, 09:15 PM
Oh no it's not!

Sound like he has other things for you to mule.

Tech Spec
07-06-2009, 09:18 PM
Guess we will have to ask Hasbro more questions during the next Q & A :p

onecoin
07-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Does anyone know how they ship in the US? They probably just using that shippers international service. And if its UPS or Fedex, the prices make sense.

Bruticus82
07-06-2009, 09:40 PM
I believe in the US they get the choice of USPS or FedEx.

And the whole point of this 2 year delay in shipping was so they could get an deal with a shipping company in place. Using the same shipper's international service doesn't sound like much of a deal...

pandaprime
07-06-2009, 09:45 PM
why is there so much AFA graded stuff?:confused:

onecoin
07-06-2009, 09:54 PM
Using the same shipper's international service doesn't sound like much of a deal...

Maybe not, but it makes the paperwork easier.

Scrapper6
07-06-2009, 10:16 PM
What do they ship to Canada? I mean what figures from the available stock are only available for US customers? Please tell me it isn't the SE Figures, I'm thinking I might take advantage of this if I get enough income to score some of those figures including the stuff I can't find up here anymore.

Edit: By the way what kind of payment options are available for us? They won't accept Paypal from Canadians, what about Money Orders?

Mumps
07-06-2009, 10:33 PM
BBTS has better shipping prices than these guys >_< yeesh!

Animelee
07-06-2009, 10:59 PM
WOAH, the shipping is outrageous!!

Optimus_Prime
07-06-2009, 11:00 PM
Edit: By the way what kind of payment options are available for us? They won't accept Paypal from Canadians, what about Money Orders?

No money orders:( Mastercard, Visa, and American Express, if I recall.

Matrix_Holder
07-06-2009, 11:38 PM
I was so looking forward to them shipping to Canada, looks to me that the shipping cost and the prices themselves are as much of a deterrent as hasbro NOT shipping to Canada. Anyhoo...I'm going to jersey next week to visits my wifes uncle and aunt. going to do alot of shopping at target,walmart and toys r us there....maybe jay and silent bobs secret stash as well.

GMfan
07-07-2009, 12:03 AM
Sound like he has other things for you to mule.

I do likes my Wild Cherry Pepsi

Matrix_Holder
07-07-2009, 12:08 AM
oohhh...how about pepsi jazz, the creamy caramel flavoued pepsi available in the usa only ( that i've noticed anyway).
mules are a great service to us all...don't give up man, don't do it!

Dark Rage
07-07-2009, 12:14 AM
I do likes my Wild Cherry Pepsi

Must have more......MOOOOOOREEEEEEEEEE!

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k200/transformer_02/Zoidberg-Angry.jpg

jourdo
07-07-2009, 12:28 AM
Well thanks for getting this up and running Hasbro. No thanks to the crazy shipping charges.

Magnimus
07-07-2009, 01:05 AM
I guess when they told us they would soon "ship" to Canada, in their minds they weren't so much thinking "ship" as "gouge."

I make that mistake all the time.

faustx
07-07-2009, 01:59 AM
Funny thing is I was totally thinking this would help reduce the amount of times I get asked to bring stuff back...so much for that!

And why don't they just integrate with USPS...shipping to Canada doesn't have to be this mental...my guess is its mostly a handling charge to justify the forms they have to generate for customs....AND THAT MEANS: THAT WE WILL END UP GETTING CHARGED US AND CDN TAXES (20% TOTAL!) AS WELL AS THE SHIPPING.

I can see massive group buys during big sale periods being a possibility but for day to day stuff....forget it...I'll stick to the monthly border crossings and working with friends to get better deals...

my 2 cents

soundwaveCA
07-07-2009, 02:38 AM
I don't care either way as I wouldn't use it regardless, all the more reason to buy it in Canada and avoid the hassle.

Must have more......MOOOOOOREEEEEEEEEE!

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k200/transformer_02/Zoidberg-Angry.jpg

lol Indeed my friend indeed.

UltraPrimal
07-07-2009, 02:42 AM
I'm tempted to buy something just to see how much it would cost me and how long it would take, but there's nothing there I even want.:rolleyes:

Batman
07-07-2009, 08:16 AM
Shipping just seems to be around $30-$35. I had ten things in my cart last night (few deluxes, few voyagers, some robot heroes) and shipping was $35. When I only had two packs of robot heroes shipping was $31 :eek: I guess the more you get, the more you save.

Scrapper6
07-07-2009, 08:38 AM
No money orders:( Mastercard, Visa, and American Express, if I recall.

So much for that then, my CC is null and void thanks to my bad habits. :mad::( Stupid ruddy Hasbro, I guess I'd have better luck checking out what's in stock at BBTS and just ordering from there. Too bad though I would have really liked to score those SE Universe figures at very long last, not to mention the new SDCC Soundwave when he's put up. :rolleyes:

Oasis
07-07-2009, 09:26 AM
oohhh...how about pepsi jazz, the creamy caramel flavoued pepsi available in the usa only ( that i've noticed anyway).

Pepsi Jazz comes and goes from inventory. (GMFan, I've been told that if I bring Wild Cherry Pepsi up for you and SoundwaveCA at Polaris that you HAVE to share.)

How do taxes work on your side for ordering stuff online? Since sales tax differs from state to state, a lot of the time people are supposed to pay sales tax for online items when they file their yearly income tax forms (HA!). Do Canadians have to pay it upfront?

Dangard Ace
07-07-2009, 09:47 AM
How are you guys even getting shipping quotes? All I get when I try to create an account is that they only ship to the 50 States.

Bruticus82
07-07-2009, 10:46 AM
How do taxes work on your side for ordering stuff online? Since sales tax differs from state to state, a lot of the time people are supposed to pay sales tax for online items when they file their yearly income tax forms (HA!). Do Canadians have to pay it upfront?

They charge us up front, and sales tax varies by province.

How are you guys even getting shipping quotes? All I get when I try to create an account is that they only ship to the 50 States.

I added items to my cart first, then went through and created an account, no problem. Their shipping policy explicitly states they ship to Canada: http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ShippingPolicy.htm

Maybe the item you want is a US only one? What were you trying to buy?

lars573
07-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Pepsi Jazz comes and goes from inventory. (GMFan, I've been told that if I bring Wild Cherry Pepsi up for you and SoundwaveCA at Polaris that you HAVE to share.)

We pay up front. And there are 2 VAT's on comsumer goods. 5% from the federal government (GST), applies across the country, Canadian online stores always charge it to orders in the country. And another from the province that varies (PST). Which online stores charge people ordering from the province they are located in. Some provinces, like mine, combine the two into one charge (HST). However if we order international, sales taxes are some what optional. If they customs label is done right there is no charge. However if it's declared all properly like, there is chance that sales taxes (see above) and a $5 fee will be levied when we go to pick up the package from the post office. Or it comes to the door. But really it depends if Canada post takes a notion to do it or not.

Dangard Ace
07-07-2009, 11:18 AM
I added items to my cart first, then went through and created an account, no problem. Their shipping policy explicitly states they ship to Canada: http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ShippingPolicy.htm

Maybe the item you want is a US only one? What were you trying to buy?

That's what I did as well. I tried to find out about ROTF Scalpel, Ravage and Stratosphere.

Nevermind. It went through now. $32.97shipping+$10tax

Sam's Happy Time
07-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Those shipping charges are insane!

I expected high shipping prices to probably offset the lower american prices and ajustments for currency exchanges- but this???

I'm not feeling the love, Hasbro.

SMOG
07-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Everybody's talking about the shipping and taxes... but we STILL don't know if we're going to get smashed with some kind of bullshit customs charge or brokerage fee when the box arrives. Remember those bigger orders could mean bigger border fees collected by Canada Post, or worse UPS... the one service you should NEVER, EVER use for cross-border shipments.

The way I see it, they totally screwed this up. The logical approach would be to open a distribution center IN CANADA, to avoid the cross-border issues. That way things could just be shipped out from within the country. Heck, Hasbro's got a warehouse just across the river from Montreal! Why not make that the distribution location? Bleah.

Not that this is surprising. Everybody was like "yaaay... HTS will ship to Canada!", but all that meant to me is prohibitive shipping and lousy service... and we already have that with TRU.ca's website. :P

zmog

chaingunsofdoom
07-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Expensive shipping or not, at least some of the stuff can be bought now... like the Universe Special Edition Deluxes.

GMfan
07-07-2009, 02:31 PM
GMFan, I've been told that if I bring Wild Cherry Pepsi up for you and SoundwaveCA at Polaris that you HAVE to share.

Who told you such lies and poppycock?.....I DON'T WANNA SHARE WITH HIM!!!!

:(

Magnimus
07-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Everybody's talking about the shipping and taxes... but we STILL don't know if we're going to get smashed with some kind of bullshit customs charge or brokerage fee when the box arrives.

Good point, SMOG. I didn't even think of that.

brr-icy
07-07-2009, 02:57 PM
fedex charged me 50% of the prrices of my items for cross border shipping, if UPS is worse wtf?

ChrisW
07-07-2009, 04:33 PM
fedex charged me 50% of the prrices of my items for cross border shipping, if UPS is worse wtf?

UPS is worse.

I ordered $77 in dinosaur figures from a place in the US and not only was I charged $20 for shipping (without any indication that the store I bought from uses UPS) but I was also charged $51 in extra fees by UPS. Avoid them at all costs!

Bruticus82
07-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Mind you, shipping from the US to Canada with some sort of insurance (which is probably what Hasbro wants) is usually rather expensive. ($20 range)

So that might be reflected in the high shipping charges.

I did e-mail hasbro about updating their FAQ page so we can see what kind of shipping they use for Canada, and what sales taxes, duties, etc. that we'll be responsible for. I suggest anyone else who is interested in potential customs charges to do the same.

SMOG
07-07-2009, 04:44 PM
Expensive shipping or not, at least some of the stuff can be bought now... like the Universe Special Edition Deluxes.Yes, but with the costs associated with HTS's Canadian service, it actually makes it worthwhile to befriend Americans. ;)

fedex charged me 50% of the prrices of my items for cross border shipping, if UPS is worse wtf?Yeah... sometimes they are worse. I've had bad experiences with them, but I've heard horror stories of "brokerage" fees being charged on top of shipping that even exceed the value of the item. It's really bad.

I've been getting stuff shipped from the US for years now, and I always go with straight up USPS. It's a bit slower in general, but MUCH cheaper, and I've never lost a package, and the only issues I've ever had were due to the sender, not the service.

zmog

mrluthor
07-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Hasbro Toy Shop looks like they are using Fed EX.
UPS is the worst for brokerage fees and hidden shipping fees. I ordered a Penguins hat for a friend the hat cost $5.00 shipping was $9.50. UPS Charged me $60.00 for brokerage and shipping fees in Canada. So I paid $75 for a $5.00 hat. Fed Ex is bad too but not as bad as UPS for BS FEES. Anything I order I check the shipping first USPS priority is not necessary since the item can only be tracked in the USA and we are in Canada. USPS First class parcel shipping is the best since it is the cheapest to get items from the States. Canada post charges a flat $5.00 brokerage fee plus tax and duty. Fed EX does it different you get your item then maybe a week or two later they send you a bill in the mail with their brokerage fee plus taxes. Glad they are shipping to Canada now but I prefer to buy my toys in store so I can pick and choose the figure I want.

SMOG
07-07-2009, 10:05 PM
Wow... $75 for a $5 hat? That's gotta be the worst one yet!

So what happens if you just refuse to pay the brokerage fee? Can they actually pursue you? After all, you're just the intended recipient, not the actual customer who had the item sent.

I mean, they get to keep your hat, but ha-ha... the joke's on them. Jackasses. :)

Isn't the Canada Post flat brokerage fee $7.00? I'm pretty sure that's what I've been charged in the past. Or maybe it was $5 + $2 of actual customs charges?

Of course they only charge that fee on items with a listed value of more than $20, or "gifts" with a listed value exceeding $60. Anything less is exempt when sent through normal mail (usps).

zmog

CTO15
07-09-2009, 07:23 PM
i just don't get why they won't accept paypal.

jackalprime
07-14-2009, 03:53 PM
they dont make money that way

chaingunsofdoom
08-01-2009, 05:16 PM
Hasbro Toy Shop looks like they are using Fed EX.
Looks like Hasbro updated... their shipping FAQ specifically mentions UPS now. Uh oh...

brr-icy
08-01-2009, 06:27 PM
Yes, but with the costs associated with HTS's Canadian service, it actually makes it worthwhile to befriend Americans. ;)

Yeah... sometimes they are worse. I've had bad experiences with them, but I've heard horror stories of "brokerage" fees being charged on top of shipping that even exceed the value of the item. It's really bad.

I've been getting stuff shipped from the US for years now, and I always go with straight up USPS. It's a bit slower in general, but MUCH cheaper, and I've never lost a package, and the only issues I've ever had were due to the sender, not the service.

zmog
ouch, yeah i only use usps as well for getting stuff shipped from the states

pandaprime
08-04-2009, 01:43 AM
"
Shipping Options

We offer you three shipping options to meet your needs when shipping in the contiguous US and two options for shipments to Canada. Consider how quickly you would like to receive your order to help you choose a shipping option. Currently, our shipping options are as follows (please allow extra shipping time for orders delivered to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands)and note that an additional fee of $20 applies to shipments outside of the contiguous US and an additional fee of $25 for shipments to Canada:"

Man.....

Bruticus82
08-04-2009, 07:21 PM
Well at least they're being upfront about their gouging...

Now if they would explain why it's an extra $25...

Covain
08-10-2009, 08:02 PM
So has anyone ordered from Hasbro yet? I was about to but was wondering what the final hit was for customs, extra fees, etc. I see that they charge tax on the order and was wondering if that was GST or something else.

Bruticus82
08-10-2009, 08:06 PM
It's GST plus your provincial tax, or at least that's what I calculated the amount it quoted mine as (or I think in your case, just HST).

chaingunsofdoom
08-11-2009, 12:43 PM
My order from HTS should arrive today. It's from FedEx (had to sign their drop form and hang it on the door). I'll let you know how bad the damage is.

jackalprime
08-11-2009, 08:36 PM
My order from HTS should arrive today. It's from FedEx (had to sign their drop form and hang it on the door). I'll let you know how bad the damage is.

I bet we are all awaiting that "figure"...

chaingunsofdoom
08-18-2009, 12:46 PM
The FedEx "invoice" arrived yesterday.

Grand total: $1.88! I kid you not. I was only charged GST (on $35 USD).

I also received the last small part of my order (SW figure stands for $5) via UPS. Strange thing is that it looks like it shipped from Canada and it has a Hasbro Canada return address.

So, it looks like: HTS ships via FedEx and/or UPS.

Covain
08-18-2009, 05:14 PM
Both shipments (Fedex and UPS) had Hasbro CA addresses or just the UPS one?

I also received the last small part of my order (SW figure stands for $5) via UPS. Strange thing is that it looks like it shipped from Canada and it has a Hasbro Canada return address.

So, it looks like: HTS ships via FedEx and/or UPS.

SMOG
08-19-2009, 09:18 AM

So, it looks like: HTS ships via FedEx and/or UPS.Sounds like they have a Canada distribution centre, which is nice because it sidesteps all those nasty fees you would normally get hit with by UPS for cross-border goods. That's cool at least.

But on your $35 of toys, what was the actual shipping charge?

zmog

chaingunsofdoom
08-19-2009, 11:53 AM
The FedEx shipment only had a US address. It arrived fast (obviously with FedEx). The UPS one may have also been mailed from the US, but I have no clue. Maybe they only want returns to go back to Hasbro Canada?

As for the shipping...

For my order was way over $35 and it had:
US Shipping (Standard) - $10.94
+$25 shipping to Canada (that is right from the FAQ page)

$35.94 - total shipping charged

Some of that $25 must go to cover FedEx fees you normally pay on receiving the invoice?

My overall conclusion is: As you order more stuff, you're getting the 'better' deal. :)

chaingunsofdoom
08-25-2009, 10:48 PM
For those interested, here's the address from the return label (including postal code typo):

Hasbro Canada Corp/HTS.com
2350 De La Province
Longueuil, QC
JAG1G2

generalblast
08-25-2009, 10:59 PM
This August's Q&A from Hasbro had a question "Why does shipping here is Expensive?" or something like that. When I read all those taxes, I was like :confused: WHAT :confused: ????? Do we have to PAY THAT MUCH TAXES ?

Tech Spec
08-25-2009, 11:06 PM
My overall conclusion is: As you order more stuff, you're getting the 'better' deal. :)

I was thinking that, going to wait until they get more stock and make a big order.

Icetron
08-25-2009, 11:17 PM
^ Let me know if you do order something Tech Spec. ;)

SMOG
08-26-2009, 11:53 AM
For those interested, here's the address from the return label (including postal code typo):

Hasbro Canada Corp/HTS.com
2350 De La Province
Longueuil, QC
JAG1G2Well that makes sense. Hasbro Canada has been based in Longueuil since forever.

I'm sort of skeptical... I'm thinking they just ship their stuff directly from Quebec (which would make sense), and that way all their explanations about "import and duty charges" is kind of BS.

zmog

JLvatron
08-26-2009, 12:20 PM
Le PST n'est pas BS.
Heh! :p

SMOG
08-26-2009, 01:41 PM
C'est vrai, ca! :)

Mais pas les autres tarifs...

zmog