PDA

View Full Version : Movie Constructicons (SPOILERS)

skinsquad
06-29-2009, 08:45 AM
I watched the movie last night with the family and I may have missed something (my daughter kept asking a lot of questions during the flick).

Were there more than one Rampage in the movie? I could have swore that was him that Megatron told to get the Sam and was fighting Bumblebee in Egypt at the exact time Devastator was climbing up the pyramid.

If Rampage is part of Devastator, how could he be fighting Bumblebee?

If I missed something, fill me in as it is really bugging me.

Robimus
06-29-2009, 08:53 AM
I don't think you missed anything, the whole Constructicons/Devi thing is a huge mess as far as I can tell.:confused:

CobraCommander
06-29-2009, 08:54 AM
Lots of Constructicon clones, running around in all parts of the World apparently. Some different colours others the same colour, etc. If look closely you will even see a clone of Bonecrusher from movie 1 in a few scenes. Also, the ones used to form Devs did not appear to have individual robot forms, but were pretty much the same vehicles.

EDIT: Also you may recall one of the Constructicon clones get's axed underwater for spare parts for Megs, I think it was Scrapper. One thing I noticed the radar guy in sub initially detects 5 Cons going down, but then when Megs is revived he notices 6 Cons coming back up... but the one Constructicon was ripped apart for spare parts?

crimbot
06-29-2009, 09:04 AM
The way that I had interpreted it was that there were several clones for each robot, or something, or just a bunch of guys with the same alt mode. Because I did notice Bonecrusher, and I could swear there was another audi bot after the first one was destroyed. And Demolisher was killed in the first scence, but then back to form devastator?

Also this thread should probabaly say movie spoilers.

Bruticus82
06-29-2009, 09:07 AM
Yeah, lots of clones, not just of the constructicons.

Bluewolf77
06-29-2009, 09:31 AM
I was wondering that to so I hit the net and on one site(I can't remember which one) it said that each constructicons has a twin and the twins are used to make Devastator.

Mike
06-29-2009, 09:43 AM
that's what happens when you don't have enough alt modes for everybody :p

chans formers
06-29-2009, 09:52 AM
when i watched it,i was confused as longhaul formed devastators right leg,then not 2 minutes later,he's seen searching for sam through the huts??wtf??but yeah,there was both a red and a yellow rampage.

dak
06-29-2009, 11:22 AM
The one explanation I have, and thanks to Phil for it, is Devastator is an entity all on his own. It helps explain the reasoning for the toys. Devastator is made up of 6 construction vehicals... not bots. the rest have the same body and are clones, some with different colors. Hasbro saying "we didn't have the technology to make the individual bots combine" is BS in my opinion, but I think it was to be a cover up for story spoilers.

Goaliebot
06-29-2009, 11:26 AM
The Decepticons share vehicle scans, so several "protoform" bots can land/crash and immediately adopt their earth mode (without running around scanning things).

Different bots, same disguises.

There were several groups of Constructicons. One Demolishor was destroyed by NEST at the beginning, but another Decepticon with the same scanned earth mode formed Devastator. The named Constructicons we have toys of; Rampage, Long Haul, MixMaster - were not the Constructicons who formed Devastator, though they shared the scans/alt modes taken from construction vehicles who-knows-when. In fact, Rampage was red in ROTF, while the other Constructicon who took on the bulldozer scan and formed a leg of Devastator was yellow.

The first Decepticon to take on the military chopper scan (Blackout) died in movie , but another Decepticon adopted the same scan in Movie 2 (Grindor).

I think that in Decepticon hierarchy there are some rules around using a scan; no one dares use Starscream's scan (until he forms the new Seekers in movie 3 maybe?). Megs doesn't even care to take on a scan at all. Neither did The Fallen.

Decepticon troop scan-sharing, aka "clones", have been part of the TF universe since G1... I'm not sure why some fans are getting mad that Bay used it in the movie for the Decepticon troops...

jacobot
06-29-2009, 11:52 AM
Funny how the Devistator team were just sitting around in the pit doing nothing until they were needed to transform into their parts that formed The pyramid wrecker :confused:

Why were Demolisher and Sideways even sitting around in China?

crimbot
06-29-2009, 11:56 AM
He's eating all of our SAND!

GMfan
06-29-2009, 12:30 PM
There seems to be 2 mentalities to this

1. As Dak said, there are 2 types of constructicons, 1 type that turns into Devastator and the other type which don't form Devastator but have individual robot modes. This can be plausible if you look at the "Scavenger" piece, when forming Devastator the neck/turbine was throughout the middle of him. Those who have played with the Demolishor toy (same alt mode as Scavenger) can realize that the way he transforms there is no room for a turbine,

2. Second school of thought is that they all have robot modes and alt modes, it just depends on what they scan for their "earth mode". If this is the case however then there can be more then one Devastator, provided he has all the pieces necessary to form him.

Neither one can be confirmed or denied at this point but an interesting spin on the transformers world which ever one is true.

malteselegacy
06-29-2009, 12:35 PM
The one explanation I have, and thanks to Phil for it, is Devastator is an entity all on his own. It helps explain the reasoning for the toys. Devastator is made up of 6 construction vehicals... not bots. the rest have the same body and are clones, some with different colors. Hasbro saying "we didn't have the technology to make the individual bots combine" is BS in my opinion, but I think it was to be a cover up for story spoilers.

I agree with that explanation. That was the reasoning that I cane up with it as well. Why do they have to have clones anyways. There were enough Decepticons and Autobots in the movie as it was.

Stryfe2025
06-29-2009, 12:51 PM
Funny how the Devistator team were just sitting around in the pit doing nothing until they were needed to transform into their parts that formed The pyramid wrecker :confused:

Why were Demolisher and Sideways even sitting around in China?
Well from what I understand of some of the backstory Demolisher and Sideways were in Shanghai because they were in hiding. Hey weren't exactly high level bots so they weren't privy to the Fallen's plans to resurrect Megatron. Although when Demolisher says "The Fallen will rise" you'd think he knew, but just didn't go to where the other Constructicons were.

dak
06-29-2009, 01:01 PM
I look a the hiding decepticons as a Men in Black situation. They are aliens hiding in our world until the one in command gives the word to strike.

Robimus
06-29-2009, 01:09 PM
Decepticon troop scan-sharing, aka "clones", have been part of the TF universe since G1... I'm not sure why some fans are getting mad that Bay used it in the movie for the Decepticon troops...

It's not that he used it, its that it wasn't explained at all.

I've read a ton of reviews mentioning how Blackout was in the film. Well he wasn't but it sure looked like he was. It's just confusing.

One scene explaining Grindor, Bonecrusher 2.0 and more would have gone a long way to fix the confusion.

DECEPTICON_BRAWL
06-29-2009, 01:20 PM
i was wondering the same thing

CobraCommander
06-29-2009, 01:34 PM
Yup, this sure is all confusing. Actually a really bizarre move from Hasbro, you would think they would differentiate the clones so they can sell more repaints :p Oh wait they are... but the repaints they are selling don't actually appear in the movie... now that's confusing :confused:

Now this brings up a whole bunch of questions:
1) What's stopping Prime from scanning himself to look like Megs?
2) If you can have several clones of ones self. How do we know that was the real Star Scream, Megs, Iron Hide, Prime, BB,etc?
3) Why do the Twins appear different (facial, body) and the clones appear identical?
4) If the fallen is capable of Transforming to an alien spaceship, then why does he have a spaceship to ride in?
5) How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? :D

Sun Swipe Prime
06-29-2009, 01:42 PM

I think why people are mad is because it's really confusing. There's no explanation for it in the movie. All the theories floating around are great explanations, but they're not given to us in the movie.

The cynical part of me thinks that the reason they're so many of the clones floating around was MONEY. It was a way to recycle computer molds to make the decepticon army seem larger. Hmm... reusing molds to make different characters, where have I heard this before? Repaint and reissue.

CobraCommander
06-29-2009, 01:49 PM
The cynical part of me thinks that the reason they're so many of the clones floating around was MONEY. It was a way to recycle computer molds to make the decepticon army seem larger.

Maybe, but if that's the case they could have used some of the other models they didn't use for Movie1, such as Wreckage/Bludgeon or bring back an army of mountain dew bots. :D It's all very strange and confusing to TF fans, but I'm sure the general public didn't even notice the Con clones :p

jacobot
06-29-2009, 02:17 PM
Why even bother and confuse with construction clones when the fallen had an army of protoforms?

onecoin
06-29-2009, 02:28 PM
The cynical part of me thinks that the reason they're so many of the clones floating around was MONEY. It was a way to recycle computer molds to make the decepticon army seem larger. Hmm... reusing molds to make different characters, where have I heard this before? Repaint and reissue.

It has to be. I mean they used the exact same pan shot of Soundwave twice. 200 million dollar budget, that is completely inexcusable.

dak
06-29-2009, 02:37 PM
not to mention a few shots from the first movie appeared.

birds eye shot of Aircraft Carrier, but now with Optimus on deck!

Goaliebot
06-29-2009, 03:08 PM
Why do they have to have clones anyways. There were enough Decepticons and Autobots in the movie as it was.
Basically; cannon fodder. For the good guys to win, bad guys need to fall. Otherwise you get the old G1 "everyone's shooting but no one's getting hit or going down" fights. You can't/shouldn't kill main characters like Megs (well, not again) and Starscream, and the first movie killed just about every other Decepticon off. But to create lots of new characters/bots just to march into battle and die quick can feel like a cheat - for example, "I thought poor Sideways bit it super fast. I'd like to see more of him, if he weren't dead. Oh wait, look! Another decepticon who took on the same scan...".

Persaonlly I was happy to see them again - "Blackout", "Bonecrusher", and having Devastator and still seeing Long Haul, Rampage, and MixMaster in action individually.

Basically, good Decepticons never die. TF3 can have another Sideways-scan.

Personally, I would have had an explanation moment and/or recolor more of the scan-clones like they did with Rampage (he was red vs the yellow Devasator leg).

Why even bother and confuse with construction clones when the fallen had an army of protoforms?
Well the real Protoforms on the Nemesis were small and newborn - they were so weak they were dying off when hatched, as one was accidentally hatched and died when Megs slammed Starscream into a pod. The "entry mode"/Cybertronian "protoform" type bots that came crashing down - some took on earth mode scans, some didn't and just fought "as is" so we did see both of those possibilities.

skinsquad
06-29-2009, 03:25 PM
Clones are great and all but why have the same names? If Devastator is built with clones, then why does Hasbro give the combiners the same name as the ones that didn't? Thats what makes it confusing.

jacobot
06-29-2009, 04:09 PM
So... They are not clones then...Just individual Cons that scanned similar Alts.

Goaliebot
06-29-2009, 04:30 PM
Clones are great and all but why have the same names? If Devastator is built with clones, then why does Hasbro give the combiners the same name as the ones that didn't? Thats what makes it confusing.

Unfortunately Hasbro and the movie makers not being on quite the same page is nothing new... *cough*Brawl*cough*"Tank Devastator"*cough*

:D

montague78
06-29-2009, 05:28 PM
Decepticons <3 to have drones!!!

soundwaveCA
06-29-2009, 05:31 PM
I don't mind the whole Constucticon clone thing they had going but I did not like Devistator in the film as I feel he turned into a real bust in the end.

Dynamo.Dave
06-29-2009, 05:45 PM
Soundwave is still up there... I was hoping to see him trash the place. Cool to hear his voice too.

Too bad that Devastator was not the 'real' constructicons though. It makes the toys show-accurate, but I don't like the fact that it is show-accurate since we lost the coolest thing about a combiner team!