PDA

View Full Version : Setting up your TF's for display...

Darth Wave
06-03-2009, 01:51 AM
So for the past 5-6 years I have been collecting Star Wars figures. About 2 years ago I added TF's to my collection of toys. And now that I have moved to a nice (bigger) place, I am able to display 90% of my toys. Since I currently only have 3 billy bookcase, I find I am always changing up my shelves... is anyone having this same issue.:confused::confused::confused:

I'm getting to the point now where I have to get really creative with how I display my figures.

GMfan
06-03-2009, 02:31 AM
There`s never enough room, they`re taking over my house....I`m come to accept them as invaders.

Sun Swipe Prime
06-03-2009, 03:09 AM
Yeah... I have to store away about three quaters of my collection. I pack away the older stuff.

Mega-Prime 316
06-03-2009, 07:07 AM
My wife has limited me to a single room in the basement. I currently have 3 bookcases and several shelves around the the room. Fortunately I have enough room for more shelves! :D

crimbot
06-03-2009, 07:18 AM
I am currently in the same process, I have been doing basement renos and had to take down some shelves to paint walls, now in putting them up, I find I have so many options that I almost dont know what to do!!

I used to have factions on sepreate shelves, but now am thinking of having complete lines on the same shelf.. ie all animated on one shelf instead of just all autobots. Its taking up tons of time... but good time:)
Where do i put the titaniums?
there are only a couple places on the shelves to fit Unicron, Breave Max and Omega Supreme, but not necessarily where I want to put those lines of toys.. do I have to take apart the whole system.. or do I settle with other spots.

Either way its been interesting!!
Good Luck!!

tusko
06-03-2009, 07:24 AM
I have no more than 10 toys out at a time. Any more and its clutter. Pack that shit up.

Nethervue
06-03-2009, 07:59 AM
I have no more than 10 toys out at a time. Any more and its clutter. Pack that shit up.

I think I'm going to do the same thing. I love my TF's, but sometimes I think less is more. Think its going to be the seekers, soundwave, and some Optimus stuff and thats it for now. I've already scaled back quite a bit, I have some stuff under the screen and in that bookshelf.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/morencyj/DSC01979.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/morencyj/DSC01983.jpg

Bruticus82
06-03-2009, 08:38 AM
Oooh....

Party at Nethervue's house!

crimbot
06-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Wow, that is nice and clean!! I do agree that less is more, but I also think that if I cant display and appreciate it, theres no point in having it:) Just my opinion though, I know a lot of people have stuff in storage, or other issues barring the collection showcase. I didnt get to really display and appreciate my own collection until my sweet sweet divorce haha.

***EDIT - By no means would I endorse that as a means to display your collection, as its way more expensive than any shelves I could ever have bought!! haha I do however endorse it as freedom from warlock b*tches! ***

Nethervue
06-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Thanks guys! Ya, its hard to put them away. I start to, then I think...man, thats such a nice figure of Hound so he has to stay, if Hound stays, than I have to keep Ironhide out, etc, etc. What my plans are now though is to keep the TFs that I loved when I was a kid, and thats the TFs from Seasons 1 and 2...and the ones that actually look like they did in the series. When I look at those, its brings back alot of good memories. The ones that I picked up just for the sake of picking them up, I'm going to put those away for now.

jourdo
06-03-2009, 11:07 AM
I'm in the middle of a mess of a display. I'm waiting for the inlaws to move to Calgary so I can gut the spare room for my purposes. I've got a ton of crap stuffed under the bed for right now.

I do like the less is more set-up though. Good job on that... and the awesome TV room.

There`s never enough room, they`re taking over my house....I`m come to accept them as invaders.

Are they invading your space, or are you invading theirs? :p

Gorilla Warfare
06-03-2009, 11:24 AM
At my old house, I had a ridiculously large (and ugly) bookshelf I got for free from some office building. Towards my move-out date, the thing was looking like a plastic robot mosh-pit.

I *REALLY* like the glass display cases they have at Ikea for around $80, as it lets you display small amounts in a classy way. As previously mentioned, less is more.

Of course, since I just moved into a condo with my lothario brother, all my robot toys are currently hiding in rubbermaid tubs at a storage facility. :( :( :( :(

Darth Wave
06-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Yeah... I'm getting to the point now where I think it's time to put all the Star Wars figs into storage and just display my TF's.

Last night I sat in my computer/ toy room thinking... in about a year this room is going to be taken over by my little girl. So all my TF's are going to end up in rubbermaid bins. Unless my wife lets me display them in our bedroom... hahaha yeah right!:) :) :)

Team Jetfire
06-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Storage? Nah, you just need to more shelves. Then you can go from this:

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p234/TeamJetfire/firstcollercton.jpg

To this:

to this:

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p234/TeamJetfire/IMG_4317.jpg
J
:D

tilallr1
06-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Yeah... I'm getting to the point now where I think it's time to put all the Star Wars figs into storage and just display my TF's.

Last night I sat in my computer/ toy room thinking... in about a year this room is going to be taken over by my little girl. So all my TF's are going to end up in rubbermaid bins. Unless my wife lets me display them in our bedroom... hahaha yeah right!:) :) :)

Thats what I had to do. Star Wars was like 50 / 50 to Transformers. Now Transformers is winning like 70 / 30. Had to put all the ships away. See below:

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=tilallr1&folderid=1684

Bruticus82
06-03-2009, 01:15 PM
Of course, since I just moved into a condo with my lothario brother, all my robot toys are currently hiding in rubbermaid tubs at a storage facility. :( :( :( :(

You get a gold star for using the word "lothario"!

crimbot
06-03-2009, 01:44 PM
Go Team Jetfire! Nice haha.

Darth Wave
06-03-2009, 02:09 PM

To this:

to this:

J

Wow... nice Star Wars and TF's collection.:eek::eek:

Darth Wave
06-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Thats what I had to do. Star Wars was like 50 / 50 to Transformers. Now Transformers is winning like 70 / 30. Had to put all the ships away. See below:

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=tilallr1&folderid=1684

SICK... Collection!:eek::eek::eek: I love the set up with the glass cases.

tilallr1
06-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Thanks man. The glass Ikea Cabinets were the most fun to setup. There is a bit of a theme per shelf and lots of fun to organize. I will try to get some close up shots of each shelf tonight.

Unicrons_Domain
06-03-2009, 02:22 PM
I have had lots of luck over the past years getting display cases for very little money. I have 4 store display cases because the stores were either throwing them out or renovating and wanted to get rid of them and weren't asking for much for them. But in saying that I always reserve 1 room in the house or apartment and dedicate it to my Transformers collection and a bed (guest room).

What I have been doing lately is setting up my loose figures and putting all the same sized figures together, G1 through the Universe series. In saying that though, I have found many of the G1 figures are roughly the same size so I try to bunch them together as much as possible as well as any other similar series. Then with the big guys I set them in one or 2 sections to try and maximize the space I have. I use to work in retail and playing the Tetris game when putting stock out was fun; this is just something I came to enjoy. Check out my display and maybe it will give you some ideas. The best thing I would say is to use your imagination when setting them up.

jourdo
06-03-2009, 02:49 PM
J

How stable is that middle of the room set-up you have?

Team Jetfire
06-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Stable? Hmm lets just say it is a good thing that there is no open windows in my room. :p

Actually, it is not too bad. I screwed the shelves together so they seem to be ok. I have another one that is backed up agasint the middle shelf now. If that is knocked there are a few joes that are taken down, but nothing too bad. That being said, it is a small space so it happens often...

Mumps
06-03-2009, 03:45 PM
I have 2 rooms in the house that are taken over by TF's.

My Bedroom and the basement. None of it is organized... Well, the ones in my room aren't because some asshole kids broke into my house in december and decided to throw them all on the floor... All Armada, Energon, Cyberton, Movie, and Alternators were knocked over. They left my G1 shelf untouched though. Still missing BT Shockwave's arm... that flew somewhere when he hit the floor..
I'm not too upset though, they didn't steal any, or break any. Any parts that came off were the ones meant to come off by force or whateve. lol
I am gonna have to bribe a few of you with Pizza to come help me set it back up one day! haha

In the basement, I have TF's all over the place. All my new ones go there, cause there is simply no room to go in my bedroom. I also need to buy some bookcases for them. I need one to replace the half bookcase thats in my room. And I need another 2 or 3 to go in the basement... >_<

Matrix_Holder
06-03-2009, 04:18 PM
I have a small bookcase in my room filled with the newest figures plus some faves, a nightstand topped with figs and another shelf with some tf , gijoes and marvel figs. lookingto get some more bookshelves to put more up. my wife and I have an agreement, when we get a bigger house I get the whole basement to design any way I want...incfluding displaying all my toys in all their glory.

Megamould
06-03-2009, 04:20 PM
I just have a small bedroom that doubles as a computer/toy room. I find I'm always having to buy new shelves and move things around just to accommodate everything. I just had to get rid of a desk just so I could get another shelf in, which filled up in about 5 seconds with all the stuff I had stored.
I've been trying to stack some bots on top of each other, and keep characters grouped together. But now every time I get a new prime or something, I have nowhere to squeeze them in. I've got a nice mib RID prime and the new rotf leader figure sitting on the floor with nowhere to go! All kinds of GI Joe, Star Wars and SW Lego stuff in storage..I'm gonna need a bigger house.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d171/overfloater36/DSC08820.jpg

QuadESL63
06-03-2009, 04:33 PM
I used to have a spare/guest room filled with TFs, a few Gundams and a little bit of anime figures. The room was pretty unsightly but I loved it :p My wife was not impressed, of course, but when I suggested why don't she use the other spare room as her study/scrapbooking workshop problem solved :D Most of them are now in storage... no space in the rental apartment :(

The IKEA Billy bookcases are pretty deep: you can put some cardboard boxes at the back of each shelf such that you can display a second roll of figures.

Sun Swipe Prime
06-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Man, I use to wonder how "out of the ordinary" I was to be still collecting this stuff....hahha... I glad to know I'm not the only big kid still around.

Just wondering, do those glass cases from Ikea help in dealing with dust at all?

QuadESL63
06-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Just wondering, do those glass cases from Ikea help in dealing with dust at all?

No, not really. They do block it a little bit but they are not air tight either.

Bruticus82
06-03-2009, 05:27 PM
I have two displayed on top of my monitor, that is the extent of my tfs on display. I don't really have all that many compared to the pics you guys are posting.

Maybe you should sell some to me? Just wait until my Line of Credit is paid off. :-p

Autobot_Lancer
06-03-2009, 05:41 PM
For me i packed up all my beast wars/transmetals/machines, RID, G1/2. Those were all of what i played with as a kid so most are banged up and chipped. All I have on display now is Alts with MP, TFTM/ROTF, Classics/Universe, Mighty mugs and Animated. All on shelves in together in there catagory all Autobots are to one side and all decpticons are on the other side

Darth Wave
06-03-2009, 06:00 PM
For me i packed up all my beast wars/transmetals/machines, RID, G1/2. Those were all of what i played with as a kid so most are banged up and chipped. All I have on display now is Alts with MP, TFTM/ROTF, Classics/Universe, Mighty mugs and Animated. All on shelves in together in there catagory all Autobots are to one side and all decpticons are on the other side

Huh... never thought of spliting the shelves like that "Autobots are to one side and all decpticons are on the other side".:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Darth Wave
06-03-2009, 06:00 PM
So is there a thread on here... showcase your collection?

chans formers
06-03-2009, 06:08 PM
So is there a thread on here... showcase your collection?yup.it's in here all right.(original thread starter for it was "c shewins".)

Rogue_Optimus
06-03-2009, 06:21 PM

To this:

to this:

J

Didn't I see that room over on Space last yr? Weren't you the guy with that mad collection?

OneShallFall
06-03-2009, 06:28 PM
I just build shelves.Nothing special,but the Mrs. likes them.I tried to keep the Autobots on one and Decepticons on the other,but the bots are out numbering the cons. :(

Oh and I have my BB shrine on my dresser :D

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc234/cjhooker01/Mix.jpg
Old pic,just missing another shelf like above and about 40 TFs

Darth Wave
06-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Didn't I see that room over on Space last yr? Weren't you the guy with that mad collection?

Also there was a girl on SPACE who had a crazy superman collection. Plus she had the molds from He-Man... I think. She had a sweet setup with lights and all.:eek::eek:

Team Jetfire
06-03-2009, 08:30 PM
Nah, it would have been cool though. However I did do a short "fun" segment that involved RID megatron telling me to kill my girlfriend horror movie style. Too bad it never got past filming...

Rogue_Optimus
06-03-2009, 09:43 PM
Also there was a girl on SPACE who had a crazy superman collection. Plus she had the molds from He-Man... I think. She had a sweet setup with lights and all.:eek::eek:

I remember her, she was the co-host for ed the sock and was part of an on-air BSG forum on Space if I remember correctly

Shepp
06-03-2009, 11:05 PM
My wife has limited me to a single room in the basement. I currently have 3 bookcases and several shelves around the the room. Fortunately I have enough room for more shelves! :D

When my wife and I get a house and I actually have room to display most of my collection, I'll also be working with similar limitations.

But these limitations aren't just established by my wife, I agree that it would just look tacky to have them scattered all over the place.

As cool as I think my collection is, Transformers is not a decorating motif. Ever been to one of those homes that has tiny porcelain clowns ALL OVER THE PLACE? Its a bit creepy.

Plus I'd rather keep track of them all and that is much easier if they're isolated to a single room.

Sure, I may have one or two on my computer desk outside of the main collection, but that's pretty much it.

Anyways, my plan originally was to have shelving attached to the wall, but lately I've been reconsidering this. I'll more than likely be enclosing them in free standing units with plexiglass (real glass makes me a bit edgy). That way I can move the enclosed shelf units around if need be. And keeping them enclosed (but not hermetically sealed) should keep most of the dust off of them.

I don't know how I want to sort my collection for display, since I'd have to know how much space I've got to work with before then.

edit:

I used to have my TFs on some cheap raw pine wood shelves I got from Home Depot. They cost like $7 or $8, and had some decent amount of space to them. I didn't even bother to sand or stain them. They held up some decent weight too. At one point I had all of my Supreme (both Unicron figures were powerlinxed to capacity with Mini-Con figures, I think like 35 each) and Masterpiece figures on a single shelf, surrounded by as many Deluxes, Scouts, and Micromasters as I could fit.