PDA

View Full Version : RotF Sideswipe: Best carbot ever?

Whisky Tango Foxtrot
05-30-2009, 11:33 AM
I'm thinking yes, especially once you've figured out how to make him stand (hint: Ignore the "heel" bit and put his wheel and toe flat on the ground.)

Aside from the fact that he looks great in robot mode and vehicle mode (that new Corvette is a nice looking car) I just love all the extra touches they put on this guy, such as his extra balljoints at the waist and the pistons on the backs of his legs. If all the movie bots had looked like this guy I'd have had no complaints (well, no complaints about the designs, anyway; the writing and directing of the movie would still be crap.)

Pascal
05-30-2009, 11:36 AM
Nah, his feet are crappy. He's 2 good feet away of being great. I still think DLX Bumblebee (Premium or not) is the best carbot ever.

Nocturn
05-30-2009, 12:06 PM
BB? Serious? Ew.

I don't have Sideswipe yet, so I can't really say he's the best. I'll put in a good word for classics Cliffjumper.

Magnimus
05-30-2009, 12:11 PM
Eh, he's good but not great.

I find the car parts he wears around his neck and shoulders restrict shoulder articulation and his feet are tricky to stand.

I believe the best car bot is the deluxe Concept Camaro Bumblebee from the first movie. Great transformation, poseable, very little kibble. Best car bot of the movie line so far.

C_Shewins
05-30-2009, 12:13 PM
He isn't the best. From the ROTF so far, I think the scouts are the best, I really like Dirt Boss and Knock Out. Dirt Boss is really cool especially i like the Alt mode.

chans formers
05-30-2009, 12:17 PM
i dont mind sideswipe in either mode.what i do mind was having to look through 20 of them just to find the one with the most decent paint job:(i noticed those same paint issues with sideways too.

Razorwing
05-30-2009, 12:30 PM
Best Car Bot? Leader Optimus Prime, well more like Truckbot. lol.

Optimus_Prime
05-30-2009, 12:32 PM
I think it's a great figure, maybe one of the top 5 ROTF in my book. I still like deluxe BB as a carbot more, though.

Stapler
05-30-2009, 12:40 PM
I don't have any of the ROTF figures yet but, in my humble opinion, Classics Mirage deserves the title for best carbot so far. But I am willing to see what the new contenders for that title have to offer.:D

Whisky Tango Foxtrot
05-30-2009, 12:46 PM
A good way to make Sideswipe stand more easily is to transform his feet in the opposite way to how it's shown in the instructions, with the headlight bit in the back and the little tab-thing in the front. This will give you a lot more useful rotation in the feet. From there, just make sure that both the wheel and the tab-thingy are touching the ground and he isn't really any harder to pose than any other figure.

dak
05-30-2009, 12:49 PM
i love him.... but maybe I just love his alt mode..

Quantum
05-30-2009, 01:22 PM
One of my favorite transformers ever, without a doubt.

General Tekno
05-30-2009, 01:52 PM
Sideswipe is awesome.

onecoin
05-30-2009, 04:29 PM
For a deluxe, he's pretty darn close.

DECEPTICON_BRAWL
05-30-2009, 05:19 PM
i agree. he has a great sleek design great articulation and overall shape.he is definitly o my top 5 carbot molds.another carbot mold i really like is prowl/bluestrak/smokescreen.

A good way to make Sideswipe stand more easily is to transform his feet in the opposite way to how it's shown in the instructions, with the headlight bit in the back and the little tab-thing in the front. This will give you a lot more useful rotation in the feet. From there, just make sure that both the wheel and the tab-thingy are touching the ground and he isn't really any harder to pose than any other figure.

thats how i ALWAYS pose his feet.it makes him look more like the movie.

Tech Spec
05-30-2009, 05:35 PM
ROTF SS is one of my favorite molds from the line, looks soooo good displayed with the Alternity figs.

Icetron
05-30-2009, 05:39 PM
Yeah Sideswipe's mold is great, but his feet aren't perfect. I still love him though. :D

onecoin
05-30-2009, 06:02 PM
I can't wait to see what Sabrina will do to this figure. So Hot. And so is her work.

pud333
05-30-2009, 06:10 PM
Meh. He looks great, but the feet keep it from greatness. I still think CC BB is still the best carbot. Everything from the look to the transformation; perfect.

SimonMK
05-30-2009, 07:36 PM
I really don't like his foot, the below surface is not flat, how am I supposed to make him stand in different positions?

Whisky Tango Foxtrot
05-30-2009, 09:08 PM
Through manipulation of the toe-bits. Thing is, if you want him to stand easily you've got to transform the feet backwards. Put the headlights in the back and the square thingies in the front. The headlights are curved in such a way that they can't hold the guy up in anything other than a straight-up pose, which is boring. The square bits are, as the name implies, square, so it's much easier to balance on them. Doesn't look as good, though, but who looks at a robot's feet anyway?

Robimus
05-30-2009, 09:17 PM
It's alright. The feet thing is a point against him and if you try and play with him at all his chest seperates easily from his stomach.

For me its way behind the TFTM Bumblebee mold and most of the Classics deluxe molds as well.

Pascal
05-30-2009, 09:45 PM
Doesn't look as good, though, but who looks at a robot's feet anyway?

Ask around what people thought of '74 Bumblebee's feet... :)

OneShallFall
05-30-2009, 10:01 PM
#1Carbot of all time = G1 Tracks

(robot mode leaving much to be desired,but the Vette makes up for it)

For everything else 2008 BB = WIN

Sideswipe will be the first and most wanted ROTF figure I purchase though.He is AWESOME!

BeeBoy29
05-30-2009, 10:12 PM
It's alright. The feet thing is a point against him and if you try and play with him at all his chest seperates easily from his stomach.

For me Sideswipe is awsome though BB would still be my fave car bot. btw, im guessing the loose chest is universal then? my sideswipe also has a loose chest.

Protoman
05-31-2009, 12:13 AM
When you say carbot..... you mean all lines? Cause Sideswipe is great and all, but far from the best car ever.

onecoin
05-31-2009, 04:31 AM
When you say carbot..... you mean all lines? Cause Sideswipe is great and all, but far from the best car ever.

I think its only fair to compare him to other Deluxes. Similar class toys from thier respective generations.

slippy
05-31-2009, 06:51 AM
I think RID Sideburn was pretty sweet.
I'll have to pick up Sideswipe to compare.

Batman
05-31-2009, 07:12 AM
i dont mind sideswipe in either mode.what i do mind was having to look through 20 of them just to find the one with the most decent paint job:(i noticed those same paint issues with sideways too.

I know man. I spent like 15 minutes looking through about 50 Sideswipes yesterday. Usually I'm just a grab off the peg and go type of guy, but most of them had really bad paint apps.

tusko
05-31-2009, 09:35 AM
Best Carbot?
Alternators Jazz,
Animated Blurr,
Classics Mirage,
Classics Bee,
Movie Bee,
Movie Stockade.

My short list in two seconds.

down_shift
05-31-2009, 09:38 AM
Sideswipe is alright, but not the best in my opinion.

Unicrons_Domain
05-31-2009, 10:23 AM
No way! I don’t think it even comes close to the car-bots in the Binal Tech series.

I think these are all 1000 times better then ROTF Sideswipe.

Binal Tech Wheeljack
Binal Tech Overdrive
Binal Tech Alert
Binal Tech Prowl
Basically just about all Binal Tech’s
Alternator Mirage...

Cheers!

Barpharanges
05-31-2009, 11:35 AM
Wal-Mart exclusive Fracture is tops in my book. All the goodness of classics Mirage with equal parts Decepticon and Go-Bot. Plus a face as pink as a baboon's butt. Perfection!

I broke down and bought Sideswipe during the current sale. I do enjoy the extra parts the higher price-point offers, but I dislike the fact that aside from the trunk, toes and arm scissors, the entire car shell-forms into a backback.

Tumblebug
05-31-2009, 01:16 PM
I don't have sideswipe, but I agree with tusko, that animated blurr is quite cool. Defiantly one of my favorites. Mirage from the alternators line was a well built bot too.

onecoin
06-01-2009, 07:56 PM
No way! I don’t think it even comes close to the car-bots in the Binal Tech series.

I think these are all 1000 times better then ROTF Sideswipe.

Binal Tech Wheeljack
Binal Tech Overdrive
Binal Tech Alert
Binal Tech Prowl
Basically just about all Binal Tech’s
Alternator Mirage...

Cheers!

Of course they are, they're 4 or 5 times the price. That's like saying an R8 is better than a Cobalt.

down_shift
06-01-2009, 09:31 PM
Of course they are, they're 4 or 5 times the price. That's like saying an R8 is better than a Cobalt.

A Cobalt is better than an R8 hands down. It's like people that buy a Lexus IS 250 for the status when really they are just buying an expensive Camry.:p

Cheers Ian
06-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Hmm,

Sideswipe is great, but not the best ever. The wheel feet and lots of back kibble/backpack take away from the toy. I'd say in the movieverse the new Preview Bumblebee is the best car.

Best Deluxe Car in my opinion is a 3 way tie

Universe 2.0 Sunstreaker
Classics Mirage
Animated Blurr

Cheers!
-Ian

brr-icy
06-01-2009, 10:56 PM
not the best by far even without my bias against movie toys, i like bots that can pose, ss just can't do that with his wheel feet 100 point deduction for instability, ani. blurr hands down one of the best along with ani. jazz, and the lamborghini mold from universe

lambie
06-02-2009, 03:43 AM
Just picked him up today, and met a fellow member, Venksta, from this board. He introduced me to this board~ and he also showed me that you can do price match in Zellers! So, we both got a Sideswipe today for TRU sales price!

Anyway, I think Sideswipe is very well designed. I can see reason why people complaint against his feet design, but personally, I find the design quite unique. Articulations is not that great due to the rear car parts limiting his arm movement. Design, I think this is A+, but as a toy/articulation, it's more like a B.

One more thing, I cant make his lower chest clipped to the upper chest... it keeps falling off. Am I the only one?

Oh, and my first post, nice meeting you all!

onecoin
06-02-2009, 04:00 AM
One more thing, I cant make his lower chest clipped to the upper chest... it keeps falling off. Am I the only one?

A lot of people seem to be complaining about this. My problem is the opposite, I have to use a lot of force to unclip it to transform him back.

Autobot_Orion
06-02-2009, 05:04 AM
I would say Swipeswipe is cool but the coolest of all time is original G1 soundwave with the tapes.

Transformers Deluxe Class Bumblebee (Camaro Concept) (2007) is the best movie figure.

lambie
06-02-2009, 06:05 AM
A lot of people seem to be complaining about this. My problem is the opposite, I have to use a lot of force to unclip it to transform him back.

So I took the piece apart: just unscrew the 4 screws in the bottom, take it apart and applied a thin coat of nail polish to both the clip and the area connect to the clip; now it works perfectly fine.

Oh one thing worth mentioning about Sideswipe is the cool joint on his thighs! Those things are cool, even BT didn't have such joint.

onecoin
06-02-2009, 06:29 AM
On the flipside, is Sideways like the worse carbot ever?

Pascal
06-02-2009, 09:09 AM
Actually, I prefer Sideways over Sideswipe. So no. :)

aximili
06-02-2009, 11:52 AM
As much as I really love Sideswipe, I also think Sideways is the better toy.

I wasn't even going to get Sideways, but he was on sale, so I got him when I went to pick up my Sideswipe.

As great as Sidewsipe is, he's very hard to make stable and doesn't click into place as much as I'd like. Sideways is a little complicated, but once everything locks into place, he really is a thing of beauty! Some very clever transformations here.

Paradigm-Shift Prime
06-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Yeah, sweet mold except for terrible feet (not just the can't stand issue, but the insides are ugly facing out in bot mode). Terrible, terrible paint job though (a major and increasingly bad problem with ROTF toys), and a major lack of any paint details.

Just as a mold I still like 08BB better. I think people have grown less fond of him as his mold saturated the market but it is a great one.

UltraMarknus
06-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Nothing tops 08 BB but Sideswipe is a GREAT toy. My only knock is the feet, of course. The back kibble dosen't bug me at all...I actually like the way it looks on him. I have 4 figures to open still, but Sideswipe being the first has gotten this line off to a good start with me. Some, even one, paint app to the mouth mask would've helped a lot.

lambie
06-05-2009, 03:46 AM
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/3782/bb9u.jpg

the people have spoken,
I guess Sideswipe just can't top the Bumblebee~

Blurrz
06-05-2009, 04:04 AM
As much as I really love Sideswipe, I also think Sideways is the better toy.

I wasn't even going to get Sideways, but he was on sale, so I got him when I went to pick up my Sideswipe.

As great as Sidewsipe is, he's very hard to make stable and doesn't click into place as much as I'd like. Sideways is a little complicated, but once everything locks into place, he really is a thing of beauty! Some very clever transformations here.

I really don't know how our views can be so different. I transformed RotF Sideways.. and I'm never transforming him into Robot mode ever again. While Sideswipe has a tendency to fall over, atleast his feet aren't... well... the tiniest chicken robot feet ever.

And if you want a quick Sideswipe modification...

http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=53683

Prime Sinister
06-06-2009, 12:21 AM
A good way to make Sideswipe stand more easily is to transform his feet in the opposite way to how it's shown in the instructions, with the headlight bit in the back and the little tab-thing in the front.

I don't see how this can be done. The feet can't rotate around. Have any pics?

Whisky Tango Foxtrot
06-06-2009, 02:35 AM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/DIguana/sideswipe.jpg

You just turn the feet/wheel bits in the opposite direction from what the instructions indicate when you're transforming him.

onecoin
06-06-2009, 02:46 AM
I like to leave his hands inside and pretend his master died before he could install them.

Bountyan
06-06-2009, 02:48 AM
I don't know about you guys, what when I use the heel I can make him stand and pose just fine. o.o

RNSrobot
06-06-2009, 03:03 AM
I'm not planning on buying many ROTF toys, but my wife loves Corvettes and it looked slick. I am blown away by how awesome this toy is. I like the overall asthetic (normally don't with the movie toys), the transformation is unique and fun, and there are lots of clever little bits. One of the best single transformers of the past five years hands down.

WhiteRabbit
06-06-2009, 03:59 AM
TFA Jazz ftw. :)

Nocturn
06-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Sideswipe gets my vote.

Team Jetfire
06-06-2009, 04:03 PM
Sideswipe is one of my favorite figures of 2009. As far as all time, not sure about that. There have been a lot of great deluxe Car-bots in the last few years. I was trying to make a list of the 10 favorite, but I came up with like 15...

down_shift
06-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Sideswipe is growing on me.

Rampage is growing rage in me.

Prime Sinister
06-07-2009, 11:54 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/DIguana/sideswipe.jpg

You just turn the feet/wheel bits in the opposite direction from what the instructions indicate when you're transforming him.

Thanks Whisky Tango Foxtrot! Sideswipe can stand up much better.

dak
06-08-2009, 12:55 AM
I like to leave his hands inside and pretend his master died before he could install them.

haha, then you gotta paint him black and put zippers all over his body. Oh edward.

jourdo
06-08-2009, 10:18 AM
haha, then you gotta paint him black and put zippers all over his body. Oh edward.

Damn you dak! Now I can't look at Sideswipe without thinking about that stupid movie. Those USED to be cool swords... not lame-o scissors. :(

BeeBoy29
06-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Could we have a poll then with some of the best tf car-bot's then, just a sugestion?