PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Slag Episode 5 - Who Are You?!

Code of Honor
03-30-2009, 12:36 AM
Whooo are you? Who who? Who who?...damn that song has been stuck in my head since we recorded this. No, it's not an episode of CSI but an episode devoted to naming issues over the years, names that have been changed, lost, and added over the ages. Also, listen for Duncan's easy step by step instructions on modifying the mace included with Animated Swoop.

Code of Honor
03-30-2009, 12:37 AM
Episode 5 - Who Are You?! (http://www.cybertron.ca/podcast/Canadian%20Slag%205%20-%20Who%20Are%20You.mp3)
Host: Chris w/ Gord, Mike, and Daniel
- Why we're having iTunes issues.
- Team Jetfire's question "When did you first get involved in the online fandom and which site did you first start posting?"
- UltraPrimal counted 71 awesomes
- Licensing issues with names
- Props to brr-icy for pointing out this Animated Swoop mace mod (pre-record Duncan's thoughts)
- Damn I wished I designed that! - MP04 Starscream

Welcome Mike to the show!

DOWNLOAD NOW! (http://www.cybertron.ca/podcast/Canadian%20Slag%205%20-%20Who%20Are%20You.mp3)

And talk to us behind the scenes by joining Canadian Slag's Lounge (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/group.php?groupid=5).

Protoman
03-30-2009, 01:04 AM
Yay!! New show!

Wheelie
03-30-2009, 04:42 AM
Hahaha... you so funny! It was a great so as always guys.

Yeah to Duncan for a very good step by step instruction to do Swoop's Mace Mod (might just have to try this now). But useless without pictures! I need visuals DAMNIT! :p

Robimus
03-30-2009, 09:39 AM
It sounded like Dak was right there live.................

UltraPrimal
03-30-2009, 12:20 PM
Woot! Props! Can't wait to see that Swoop mace mod guide. Sounds complicated though.

GMfan
03-30-2009, 03:49 PM
It sounded like Dak was right there live.................

Funny you mention that, because it wasn't pre-recorded but post-recorded :P

Actually Duncan made that recording at Daniel's place while we were in Montreal this weekend

Woot! Props! Can't wait to see that Swoop mace mod guide. Sounds complicated though.

useless without pictures! I need visuals DAMNIT! :p

It's not that hard actually once Duncan showed me, he has pics he took but will put them up when he gets all his energy back from the weekend, he's probably napping now :P

CobraCommander
03-30-2009, 06:42 PM
Good episode, I like learning new stuff. Question, so did Hasbro have to file for TM, Registered Names for the G1 character names back in the day? In other words is TM/Registered naming a new thing that came about just to make some extra coin? How about vehicle likeness licensing, how does that apply now a days? Seems like back in G1 era, that wasn't an issue.

Protoman
03-30-2009, 07:12 PM
Good episode, I like learning new stuff. Question, so did Hasbro have to file for TM, Registered Names for the G1 character names back in the day? In other words is TM/Registered naming a new thing that came about just to make some extra coin? How about vehicle likeness licensing, how does that apply now a days? Seems like back in G1 era, that wasn't an issue.

The TM/® thing existed long before it graced the name Optimus Prime. Just it was not as heated back then. Now, everyone is trying to license something. Like take Hasbro and Mattel, 2 rival toy companies, in 1989 Mattel noticed Hasbro didn't reregister "Hot Rod" and snatched it up. Today it's just a big war.

To answer your 2nd question about car licenses. Let's keep in mind where most of the 1984/1985 molds that were based on real cars came from, 2 Japanese non-TF robot lines during the late 70s. In the 70s, the line between licenses are really thin, it goes the same with other robot lines like Machine Robo (aka The Gobots here) which also had licensed cars as toys. But by 1986-87, stuff started to get tougher. Keep in mind, the 80s was the dawn of "awesome" toys, all started with Hasbro's Star Wars line, but by 1986-87, it got so thick that everyone was looking to make a buck and protect their properties. So we went from Datsun Zs and Lamboginis to "future looking cars" (Say Chromedome) or "suggestive ones" (Say Getaway, being a Lemans Mazda RX-7). We had a big dark age of that for awhile. Sure the micromasters had stuff that LOOKED like licensed cars, but because of the way the toys were put out, it was not close enough to be 100% a case to sue over. When G2 came, we saw Sideswipe again, but oddly, it didn't stir up any problems with Lambo..... But this all came to an interesting turn in 2001 which would change a lot of things. Car Robots port to America as Robots In Disguise had licensed cars. While Prowl/Mach Alert had some changes that made him a step away from the licensed Lambo and X-Brawn/Wild Ride had his lights remolded for safety reasons which also helped them dodge the bullet from Mercendes (which he was originally), the 3rd Car Brother, Sideburn/Speedbreaker was a spot on Dodge Viper. And Dodge didn't like it. Hasbro had a talk with them behind the scenes and in the late 2001 toy assortment the repainted Super Sideburn did something no TF toy had done before. Had a licensed logo and trademark on the packaging (and the toy). This would lead Hasbro into a new idea later on (Alternators). The rest is history.

Anyhow I can go on and on but you get the picture. Thanks for the question.

CobraCommander
03-30-2009, 07:18 PM
Woah, thanks Proto... you are very wise!

Aernaroth
03-30-2009, 07:35 PM
To answer your 2nd question about car licenses. Let's keep in mind where most of the 1984/1985 molds that were based on real cars came from, 2 Japanese non-TF robot lines during the late 70s. In the 70s, the line between licenses are really thin, it goes the same with other robot lines like Machine Robo (aka The Gobots here) which also had licensed cars as toys. But by 1986-87, stuff started to get tougher. Keep in mind, the 80s was the dawn of "awesome" toys, all started with Hasbro's Star Wars line, but by 1986-87, it got so thick that everyone was looking to make a buck and protect their properties. So we went from Datsun Zs and Lamboginis to "future looking cars" (Say Chromedome) or "suggestive ones" (Say Getaway, being a Lemans Mazda RX-7). We had a big dark age of that for awhile. Sure the micromasters had stuff that LOOKED like licensed cars, but because of the way the toys were put out, it was not close enough to be 100% a case to sue over. When G2 came, we saw Sideswipe again, but oddly, it didn't stir up any problems with Lambo..... But this all came to an interesting turn in 2001 which would change a lot of things. Car Robots port to America as Robots In Disguise had licensed cars. While Prowl/Mach Alert had some changes that made him a step away from the licensed Lambo and X-Brawn/Wild Ride had his lights remolded for safety reasons which also helped them dodge the bullet from Mercendes (which he was originally), the 3rd Car Brother, Sideburn/Speedbreaker was a spot on Dodge Viper. And Dodge didn't like it. Hasbro had a talk with them behind the scenes and in the late 2001 toy assortment the repainted Super Sideburn did something no TF toy had done before. Had a licensed logo and trademark on the packaging (and the toy). This would lead Hasbro into a new idea later on (Alternators). The rest is history.

Anyhow I can go on and on but you get the picture. Thanks for the question.

It also has to do with the fact that licensing is done completely differently in Japan and other countries, and thus for the first transformers/diaclones (originally created in Japan), it was easier for them to get away with using a real car model, and would likely still have been much easier during the car robots days though Hasbro needed to make a deal after releasing the R.I.D. cars on this side of the pacific, as Daniel said.

Team Jetfire
03-30-2009, 10:18 PM
Another great ep guys.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I often wonder where toy collecting as a whole would be with out the internet and fan sites...As for me I started off at a Starwars Site called SirSteve's guide and jumped over to Unicron.com, BWTF, bigbot and Transfandom (i think that is right???) all during the Beast Machine era. I was unsure about sighing up to post so I waited till after Energon to become an active member anywhere. Since then I mainly hit up TFW and it subsidiaries, but like Daniel said, I mainly start my day with Cybertron.ca as it is a really cool place, with great people.

As for the Ep, the sound was much better and it is good to hear that it may be available on I tunes soon.
Also, I like the segments that where presented. Good on Mike and Daniel for dropping some knowledge on the name game.

I'm not sure how everyone else feels, but for me a name is not important anymore. I will admit that it turned my off BeastWars. I really didn't like that Dinobot was not named after the original Dinosaurs.

Since then there has been some many different series it seems reasonable that names would be shared and that they would not be related.

And lastly, Masterpiece Starscream does look great. I may never know for myself as I am scared to take it out of the package....:o

GMfan
03-30-2009, 10:35 PM
Did you ever read Dinobot's profile on Unicron.com? The Lukis brothers had a nice explanation for the naming of the G1 Dinobots. When Optimus Prime got his spark restored by Optimal Optimus they believed that Primal's knowledge was passed onto Prime and that in the future when the Dinobots were created Prime named them the Dinobots in honour of the heroics the "original" Dinobot showed by sacrificing himself for humanity. It may not be totally true (more then likely not at all) but damned if I didn't like how it sounded.

But thats the beauty of Transformers, it is what we make it, our imagination only governs its world ;)

Also...FREE THAT STARSCREAM :P You don't know the awesome you're missing!

Team Jetfire
03-30-2009, 11:35 PM
Now that you mention it, I think I have heard that explaination and it totally works. Dinobot was a big part of Future/past of the Gen 1 universe, seems like a nice nod to a great character.

And for the record I am scared to open all of my masterpiece toys...I have heard too many stories of Breakage and stress marks. I dunno, maybe I need to just grow a pair and do it.

GMfan
03-31-2009, 04:39 PM
I didn't know where else to put this but those interested who aren't in the Canadian Slag lounge or haven't checked it recently we put up our first episode of "Under the Sheets" a more behind the scenes or additional info segment we'll do aside from the regular show.

If ya want check it out (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/group.php?groupid=5)! ;)

Paradigm-Shift Prime
03-31-2009, 05:01 PM
alright, time to dload this one!

Protoman
03-31-2009, 06:17 PM
Good times....... *cries* Good times.

General Tekno
04-01-2009, 09:14 PM
Re: Not getting a podcast up and running...

Why not use a free service?

I'm using PodcastRevolution myself.

Code of Honor
04-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Re: Not getting a podcast up and running...

Why not use a free service?

I'm using PodcastRevolution myself.

Thats not free.

brr-icy
04-01-2009, 11:26 PM
yay i got props! and yay new podcast!