PDA

View Full Version : Ultra Magnus G1 Question

Tothemax
03-07-2009, 06:43 PM
Ok so I'm stumped. I bought a G1 Ultra Magnus and the helmet is all blue. I see that some have silver on the helmet also. Are there 2 different versions of him? On the trailer it says Hasbro 1984, then below it says Takara 1984.

tusko
03-07-2009, 07:00 PM
Not an expert.
But yes, there are two versions.
Rubber tires with silver paint.
And I think plastic tiers with blue face.
I could be wrong though.

The expert poop:
http://www.tfu.info/1986/Autobot/UltraMagnus/ultramagnus.htm

tusko
03-07-2009, 07:03 PM
The question I have is why does he come with 2 waist pieces?
I've never been able to figure this out.

silent4life
03-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Hey everyone, was just wondering if someone could help me out regarding G1 Ultra Magnus. My cousin and I were debating about the different colour heads for UM, I have the one (original G1) with the blue helmet and silver face and "antenna's"; he has the one with the all blue face and helmet (not sure if this was a reissue or not),

What's the difference in toyline? Was one Takara and the other Hasbro or is one a KO? Or are they just different variations?

BlackZarak
03-07-2009, 08:19 PM
Hey everyone, was just wondering if someone could help me out regarding G1 Ultra Magnus. My cousin and I were debating about the different colour heads for UM, I have the one (original G1) with the blue helmet and silver face and "antenna's"; he has the one with the all blue face and helmet (not sure if this was a reissue or not),

What's the difference in toyline? Was one Takara and the other Hasbro or is one a KO? Or are they just different variations?

Just different variations. The silver faced UM was in the the first run, the all blue helmet was the second. I remember when I asked for UM for my birthday, I prayed that I didn't get the all blue version. Thankfully I didn't. :)

silent4life
03-07-2009, 08:29 PM
Just different variations. The silver faced UM was in the the first run, the all blue helmet was the second. I remember when I asked for UM for my birthday, I prayed that I didn't get the all blue version. Thankfully I didn't. :)

Thanks for letting me know! My cousin was getting worried that it was a knock off as it was an anniversary gift from his wife.

Vega-Starscream
03-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Yeah! when I was a kid during the G1 era, I got the all blue helmet for my birthday lol, but are there other differences between the two runs? The white prime that cames whit it has no paint in the face and plastic toes, I broke it when I was a kid and found a white prime for my Ultra Magnus many years later and this one has metal toes and has blue paint on the mouth plate and crest and painted red eyes. Not sure but I think the original has also plastic wheels and this one rubber.

chans formers
03-07-2009, 11:08 PM
they're both the same.the only difference is towards the end of the best damn series ever,takara and hasbro started cheaping out.the blue only/unpainted magnus variant is because of them cheaping out on the second waves of the same bots.kinda like metal toed rodimus came first,then plastic toed after,or actual chrome thighed and rubberwheeled metroplex then the second version which had stickers instead of chrome and plastic wheels.the magnus that the head in question belongs to probably has all plastic wheels right?

Vega-Starscream
03-08-2009, 01:03 AM
they're both the same.the only difference is towards the end of the best damn series ever,takara and hasbro started cheaping out.the blue only/unpainted magnus variant is because of them cheaping out on the second waves of the same bots.kinda like metal toed rodimus came first,then plastic toed after,or actual chrome thighed and rubberwheeled metroplex then the second version which had stickers instead of chrome and plastic wheels.the magnus that the head in question belongs to probably has all plastic wheels right?

Yeah! just checked my Ultra Magnus, his wheels are indeed plastic

-KG-
03-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Yeah, the blue and silver painted head had the rubber wheels, and the all blue head came with the plastic wheels.

Badgertron
03-08-2009, 10:31 PM
I had the silver faced one as a kid. He was my only large TF!

Protoman
03-08-2009, 11:24 PM
We covered this somewhat in the Canadian Slag Canadian TF podcast. The all blue face Magnus was one of many running change variations that were only found in Canada and the UK. This running change was reported (can't confirm 100% without a MISB example) to only come with the plastic tires Magnus and came in 2 versions, with and without a painted "smaller robot" face (as in the Prime mold's head). Again I can't confirm this part 100% cause even my own personal one while one of these variations was bought loose and all gathered information SO FAR has been similar. All we know for sure, it's a canadian thing.

Echotransformer
03-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Yeah, I had the all-blue face one as a kid, but I do remember seeing the one with the silver face in stores...I always wanted the silver face, and thought that was the only difference, but as talked about here, it was a pretty big "Cost Reduction" when they created the all-blue one...

-The White prime has plastic instead of metal toes (as mentioned)
-Plastic wheels instead of rubber, both truck and trailer (as mentioned)
-The White Prime face is unpainted!!! I only found out recently that the rubber-wheel version had a painted face and was astonished!!!
-my white Prime doesn't have glass in the truck cab! (yuck!)
-and the Ultra Magnus helmet is all blue with no silver, as mentioned.

Now_think_I've seen a variation on the head, where the face was silver but the anteanne were painted versus unpainted but that might have been a mod...not sure.

And, for the record, never figured out what to do with the xtra belt piece, and would love someone to help me with that! :-)

--ECho