PDA

View Full Version : hasbrotoyshop.co.uk has been closed.

Magnus
02-09-2009, 08:43 AM
My sympathies to all who shopped there... but from a Canadian standpoint, will this mean we won't get shipping to Canada anytime soon?

Bruticus82
02-09-2009, 10:24 AM
When I saw the announcement, I wondered about that, especially in light of Canadian tire no longer offering products online, and walmart canada never having offered online shipping.

From one point of view, I understand that it's difficult to do shipping in Canada. But that's why mail order catalogues were so popular back in the day! Yes there are practical problems with the population in Canada being so spread out, but you CAN overcome those challenges, it just seems like no one is willing to try.

As for the UK, I'm really puzzled by this move. They have a much more densly concentrated population, so I'm guessing it isn't prohibitive shipping costs that have kept them away. What could it be then? The marginal costs to run an online store aren't that much. The only other thought I have is that perhaps to "sweeten the deal" with their retailers they've promissed not to compete with them?

jacobot
02-09-2009, 10:33 AM
....perhaps to "sweeten the deal" with their retailers they've promissed not to compete with them?

Possibly why HTS doesn't ship to Canada:(

pandaprime
02-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Possibly why HTS doesn't ship to Canada:(

but there are a lot of items that HTS carries but nobody else! there is no other competition in Canada for those items! what the deuce! :mad: :( :mad: :(

lars573
02-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Glass half full view point:

HTS US is going to ship world wide and thus be no need for a UK operation.

Omega.Prime
02-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Glass half full view point:

HTS US is going to ship world wide and thus be no need for a UK operation.

Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope this happens sooner than later! They keep saying they're going to start shipping to Canada but they keep pushing the date back :(

General Tekno
02-09-2009, 01:25 PM
Yeah - what's the current date Hasbro's saying for HTS shipping to Canada?

Omega.Prime
02-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Last I heard was spring 09 but that was a long time ago. Anyone else got a more recent time frame for this?

Bruticus82
02-09-2009, 02:04 PM
Maybe we can put that in the next Q&A, along with asking if they ever got us an answer on why the comics weren't included (the answer was pending last I've seen).

Prime Monkey
02-09-2009, 02:18 PM
I have a nagging feeling that they're going to push the date back again. Sales in US are probably not very good for them right now, they probably don't want to expand it in this economic state. I hope I'm wrong! :cool:

GMfan
02-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Sure, FedEX, UPS, they can ship worldwide but apparently not Canadawide...at least corportations don't think so :P

Magnus
02-10-2009, 08:05 AM
Sure, FedEX, UPS, they can ship worldwide but apparently not Canadawide...at least corportations don't think so :P

heheheh touché!!

Personally, I have this sinking feeling that the announcement that HTS would ship to Canada was just to appease the crowd, it doesn't seem like there ever really was a plan to do so.

Slythe
02-14-2009, 05:02 PM
If you go to hasbrotoyshop.com and attempt to create an account, the address input fields have recently been changed from Zip Code to Zip/Postal Code, a Country field has been added, along with State/Province instead of State, etc.

It appears the site is being set up to allow for Canadian orders, but a Canadian address cannot be accepted, yet.

From what I hear, there will not be a large announcement as to when Canadians will be able to order from the site, it will just be possible.

Magnus
02-17-2009, 08:28 AM
That does not mean the site is being set up for Canadian accounts. The most likely reason is to allow people who used to order from the .co.uk site to order from the main site (most countries have provinces and postal codes, like we do).

Hopefully, Canada will be added to the list of countries they will ship to.

Bruticus82
02-17-2009, 09:28 AM
From what I hear, there will not be a large announcement as to when Canadians will be able to order from the site, it will just be possible.

I was actually told the opposite when I contacted someone I kind of know at Hasbro about 6 months ago. They said it would be announced at sites like cybertron.ca! (I was surprised he mentioned a fan site by name!)