PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Slag Episode 1 - The Selfish Episode

GMfan
02-09-2009, 01:00 AM
Tired of listening to Transformers podcasts that aren't Canadian enough for you? Need some more maple to go with your plastic crack addiction?

Well look no further transfans because Cybertron.ca (http://Cybertron.ca) is proud to present Canadian Slag - The Canadian Transformers Discussion Podcast! Where anything goes! Let Gordon (Code of Honor) and Chris (GMfan101) be your guides to interesting perspectives, information you may not have known, and stories that will make you laugh, all about your favourite plastic transformables!

Just remember, it's a show for you fans, ab-out Transformers. Not a-boot Transformers.

Also a special thanks to Alex Milne for the Canadian Slag character art.

GMfan
02-09-2009, 01:01 AM
I'd also like to add that this episode is just a preview, hence being posted on mediafire. Once all the bugs are banged out we will have full MP3 and M4A formats available to you through iTunes.

Without further waiting here you have it transfans....

Canadian Slag Episode 1 - The Selfish Episode (http://www.cybertron.ca/podcast/Canadian%20Slag%201%20-%20The%20Selfish%20Episode.mp3)
Hosted by Chris (GMfan101) w/ Gord (Code of Honor), Duncan (DAK) and Daniel (Protoman)

This episode has been doubted the selfish episode as this was a show where we could not avoid talking about ourselves...but this is our first show so proper introductions were necessary Topics covered in this episode include Canadian exclusive figures, some Animated news for our Quebec listeners, and talking about who are and what our favourite toys of 2008 were.

Chapters
- Show introduction
- Meet Gordon! AKA Code of Honor
- Duncan?! Oh DAK!!!
- Oh Daniel...he is Protoman
- Get to know Chris, the GMfan
- Why are we Canadian Slag?
- Is Transformers Animated coming to Quebec
- The best and worst of 2008
- Social groups and rollout

DOWNLOAD NOW! (http://www.cybertron.ca/podcast/Canadian%20Slag%201%20-%20The%20Selfish%20Episode.mp3)

BadJeff
02-09-2009, 01:30 AM
Listening to it now.. Good stuff. Thanks guys!

Benzo
02-09-2009, 01:37 AM
good work! looking forward to more!

Pascal
02-09-2009, 01:46 AM
I'll listen to it when I'll be working tomorrow morning!

Paradigm-Shift Prime
02-09-2009, 01:52 AM
boom shake the room!

Robimus
02-09-2009, 03:05 AM
Well two people secretly love me. Thats always nice to know:p

My computer seems to be having technical difficulties on the site. I'll try again tomorrow.

down_shift
02-09-2009, 07:12 AM
Anyone else thing Slag looks like Blades?

Magnus
02-09-2009, 08:28 AM
I'll listen to it when I'll be working tomorrow morning!

Ditto. Well technically, I should write I'll listen to it today while at work... anywho... bygones...

jacobot
02-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Great idea...Will this episode be on iTunes? It's the only site I've figured how to download:o

Nocturn
02-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Must... listen... later...

Ultra Maverick
02-09-2009, 11:41 AM
Can't wait to give this a listen!

I think this is a really great idea!

Code of Honor
02-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Great idea...Will this episode be on iTunes? It's the only site I've figured how to download:o

We are working that.

JSon
02-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Just finished listing, and I loved it. Seemed a little long at first, but it was really nice to have all the time you need to talk about a topic. Awesome to hear some in-depth discussion on some topics rather than just a few lines in a forum. Can't wait for more!

Also, activators Megatron is tricky as hell to get into vehicle mode.

GMfan
02-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Holy snap Batman I went to bed after posting this and did not expect this many views/listeners when I woke up! Glad to hear people are enjoying the show...honestly I think if you liked this you'll like some of the other stuff we have coming. All we did was talk about ourselves which I would get bored of, since thats all we did, but the next few episodes should be really entertaining.

Like CoH said we're really working on getting it to work on iTunes just experiencing technical difficulties. In in the mean time you can DL this mp3, and have 2 options, listen to it on your computer, OR put it in iTunes and add it to your iPod manually. It won't go in the podcast section but will be under music with "Cybertron.ca" as the artist.

ChrisW
02-09-2009, 04:02 PM
To answer the question raised during the podcast: Animated Swoop's flail lost its gimmick because it failed the Choke Test. Pulling on the flail chain activated pop-out flames. If a child partially swallowed the mace, pulling on the chain to get it out would end up deploying the flames and causing it to get even more stuck in the child's throat. Having no pop-out flames was thus determined to be safer than having pop-out flames.

Also: Given the distribution of Alternators, would Camshaft qualify as a Canadian exclusive? ;)

GMfan
02-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Thanks for sharing...I remembered it got removed for some reason and that rings a bell. As for Camshaft I'm gonna say no :p since some parts of the US got him as well...just really really badly. It'd be like saying Alternators Windcharger, Laserwave, Decepticharge, Battle Ravage are all US exclusives since we never got them.

Also of interest is apparently Energon Tidal Wave...he got very poor distribution in the States and can resell for $60-90 in the US.

SPLIT LIP
02-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Now that I've listened to more, I didn't enjoy that as much as, say, WTF@TFW, but it wa sokay, mostly too much bashing of Animated and Uni stuff and just general dragging on. (as I find all podcasts seem to do)

Also, Sentinel Prime. Don't bash a figure until you actually HAVE it, maybe. Sentinel Prime is actually a fairly decent sized figure, taller than deluxe Prime. He just looks stocky alone because his legs are so wide.

I agree, I loved the Deluxe BC, but I would've liked a higher class.

So much hate for Soundwave. My SW stands fine. I wasn't expecting a bash-cast. Code of Honour was great in it, though.

Code of Honor
02-09-2009, 04:42 PM
We are going to keep these to around an hour and no longer. I edited out over 20 minutes from this episode. I find a lot of the podcast I listen to that go well over an hour get really boring, so this way we can stay on topic and not drone on forever.

Pascal
02-09-2009, 05:02 PM
To answer the question raised during the podcast: Animated Swoop's flail lost its gimmick because it failed the Choke Test. Pulling on the flail chain activated pop-out flames. If a child partially swallowed the mace, pulling on the chain to get it out would end up deploying the flames and causing it to get even more stuck in the child's throat.

Cool, sounds like a device that could be used in the next Saw movie. :p

SPLIT LIP
02-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Also, GMfan101, Blitzwing's back end does clip in. Pegs on the turret peg into his feet. It doesn't flop around and actually keeps his legs stable aswell.

GMfan
02-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Alright I've taken mine of the shelf for closer inspection, I see what you mean about the pegs but I'd hardly call it stable. More stable...yah, but totally? nah, I don't want to say its a terrible toy, its fun and got its merits but in the Animated line to me it came out as one of the weakest.

EDIT: One more downside I just thought of while repositioning Blitzwing on the shelf....he has no threatening/battle poses. I put my TFs in a battle stance on the shelves and it doesn't seem to matter what I do he just can't pull it off.

Protoman
02-09-2009, 06:21 PM
Also, Sentinel Prime. Don't bash a figure until you actually HAVE it, maybe. Sentinel Prime is actually a fairly decent sized figure, taller than deluxe Prime. He just looks stocky alone because his legs are so wide.

Now now, I put him as my FAVORITE Animated figure.

GMfan
02-09-2009, 06:24 PM
I'm on the fence with Sentinel....I like him but he is too short and I forgot to add to his discussion how much he would have vastly improved had they given him translucent light bluw weapons instead of the fully painted ones.

SPLIT LIP
02-09-2009, 07:23 PM
Now now, I put him as my FAVORITE Animated figure.And that's great. I love Sentinel prime. He's not my favourite, but only because I love guys like Lugnut so much more.

I don't know who it was, but props to the guy who said that said V Bulkhead was a good toy. I like that dude a lot, but he gets almost no love.

Alright I've taken mine of the shelf for closer inspection, I see what you mean about the pegs but I'd hardly call it stable. More stable...yah, but totally? nah, I don't want to say its a terrible toy, its fun and got its merits but in the Animated line to me it came out as one of the weakest.I can't call him the weakest compared to Lockdown or V Megatron, but as far as the stability in jet mode is concerned, it's either yours or mine. Mine is a nice and tight fit, but then again I have some figs that are looser in some areas.

Still, I'm not "ZOMG BILTZWIGN R GAWD", but he's not as bad as you make him out.

EDIT: One more downside I just thought of while repositioning Blitzwing on the shelf....he has no threatening/battle poses. I put my TFs in a battle stance on the shelves and it doesn't seem to matter what I do he just can't pull it off.I kinda agree. I can get him into some great firing/attacking stances, but he would seriously benefit from having fists for those poses.

I surprised you didn't mention those thighs. That's the main gripe I have with him. SS did it right, he has a hinge in the center so they bend for vehicle mode but are nice and straight for robot mode. (though you can cheat and hide them in some poses)

I'm on the fence with Sentinel....I like him but he is too short and I forgot to add to his discussion how much he would have vastly improved had they given him translucent light bluw weapons instead of the fully painted ones.Again, how too short? He's taller than your average deluxe. I'm not saying I would be against a Voyager Cyb Mode Sentinel, but this "too short" argument makes not sense to me. (I mean, he looks stocky with the thicker legs, but it doesn't make him short) He's as tall as Jazz. I would prefer translucent blue weapons myself, too, but only to match other clear weapons like Prime's axe and BB's stingers.

CobraCommander
02-09-2009, 08:41 PM
Nice podcast! I like it when I learn something new about TF's. Keep up the good work dudes.

GMfan
02-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Thanks CC! Thats why I like doing this show as well, hell I've learned things doing this show...I think there will be some pretty interesting info in the next 2 episodes (hint hint).

UltraMagnus69
02-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Great show guys ...really entertaining...although maybe you could give Dak a break and stop picking on the poor guy...so it's his initials, big deal...(yo add me on facebook lol) ...but seriously though its good to have some different perspectives. I finally feel represented from this board to our yankee friends over at tfw:)

Whisky Tango Foxtrot
02-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Please tell me that you'll have new theme music for the next episode. At least give your guitarist a metronome if you're going to use him/her again.

GMfan
02-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Does the 10 seconds of music make much of a difference? :P

Code of Honor
02-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Please tell me that you'll have new theme music for the next episode. At least give your guitarist a metronome if you're going to use him/her again.

What you don't like the slow, mellow tone of the intro/outro?

Team Jetfire
02-10-2009, 12:11 AM
Great work guys.

I liked the Canadian Exclusives that Protoman brought up, really interesting. Also, I needed Meg's instruction booklet too...that little guy is tough, lol.

Also nice to hear about how everyone got into Transformers. It really says a lot about Beast Wars (beasties=yuck) and the impact it had on many collectors.

Looking forward to the next one!

Protoman
02-10-2009, 01:29 AM
Great work guys.

I liked the Canadian Exclusives that Protoman brought up, really interesting. Also, I needed Meg's instruction booklet too...that little guy is tough, lol.

Also nice to hear about how everyone got into Transformers. It really says a lot about Beast Wars (beasties=yuck) and the impact it had on many collectors.

Looking forward to the next one!

Glad you enjoyed it. We will have more shows in the future that list out interesting pieces of TF history, Oddly, I left out some canadian exclusives but we just have too much stuff in each show already.... I mean the preshow talks are sometimes 2 hours alone.....

Ultra Maverick
02-10-2009, 08:33 AM
Listened to the show last night...Well done!

I'd love to hear more about the Canadian exclusives

Bruticus82
02-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Excellent job, although I have to say it makes me seem like not much of a fan in comparison.

GMfan
02-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Oh don't feel inadequite it's supposed to be a fun show where you learn a little as well... Hell I learn new things too with every episode (usually how insane Daniel is :P)

Thanks again for enjoying folks!

dak
02-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Glad everyone was happy with the episode. When I say I wasn't a fan of Sentinel is only because I really didn't Not like any animated figure. he was just the least of all of them. and when talking about his size, it's more of a show size comparison.

and i'm use to the make fun of Dak... happens aalllllll the time.

GMfan
02-10-2009, 11:39 AM
At the end of the day we all heart DAK :P

Protoman
02-10-2009, 07:02 PM
I am the Transformers Encyclopedia and Trivia Master of the known universe for a reason after all ;) But yeah, future shows will be more interesting things you DIDN'T know.

Nocturn
02-10-2009, 09:42 PM
Mine cut out at 49:42 =/

Magnimus
02-10-2009, 11:47 PM
I listened to most of it today.

You guys might not want to rag too much on the girls and fan fiction. Not only do they not deserve it, but they are a force to be reckoned with.

Overall, good show. I don't want to make many criticisms at this point without listening to more episodes, but there's definite potential (for goodness, not criticism ;) ).

Omega_Prime
02-11-2009, 02:42 AM
Glad everyone was happy with the episode. When I say I wasn't a fan of Sentinel is only because I really didn't Not like any animated figure. he was just the least of all of them. and when talking about his size, it's more of a show size comparison.

and i'm use to the make fun of Dak... happens aalllllll the time.

that's how I judge my Animated toys too. Sentinel is suppose to be a little shorter than Prime, and even with V Prime's legs not extended, they don't compare. I didn't want to buy Lugnut for that soul reason...(got him anyways because no sign of a leader ever coming out unlike bulkhead)

To ever make this problem right though, Megatron needs to be supreme, and all Decepicons have to be Leader. If only...

Love what I've heard so far, didn't finish all but plan too!

GMfan
02-11-2009, 03:34 AM
Mine cut out at 49:42 =/

Wierd...try re-downloading it. perhaps it didn't DL right.

You guys might not want to rag too much on the girls and fan fiction. Not only do they not deserve it, but they are a force to be reckoned with.

Overall, good show. I don't want to make many criticisms at this point without listening to more episodes, but there's definite potential (for goodness, not criticism ;) ).

Don't worry, the one we'll have on knows I constantly bother her about it but we're still friends at the end of the day and she will always love my blue eyes and my car :P (I'm pretty sure it's the car though)

As for the potential....this episode is just the TIP of the ice berg ;)

Badgertron
02-12-2009, 06:22 AM
Might have been posted already, but how often are these coming out? Weekly? Good job so far :)

GMfan
02-12-2009, 03:06 PM
Generally we will release these every 2 weeks bit since we do have a second episode done I'm sure some of you wouldn't mind if we released it sooner ;)

keanu577
02-16-2009, 11:49 PM
When I was watching this I spilled coke on my panjamas ad my parents thought I peed in my panjamas. LoL!

GMfan
02-17-2009, 01:16 AM
LoL I dunno...is that good? I know I find myself laughing at the same parts the second time I listen to it...

brr-icy
02-17-2009, 03:00 AM
great show guys, by the way this might be of interest to go with the other animated mods:
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/208812-tutorial-animated-swoops-flaming-mace.html
there's a mod for swoop's flail to make the flames pop out of it, and clicks too

GMfan
02-17-2009, 01:39 PM
Props to you for pointing this out!

Protoman
02-17-2009, 06:58 PM
So pissing ones pants is a good thing right?