PDA

View Full Version : Breaks and Tumbles

J.Soundwave
09-22-2008, 09:21 AM
I'm sure most collectors here who display some of their collection out of the box have had a couple drops, falls or breaks in their time. Feel free to share some of your tragic tales here or just say R.I.P to that beloved lost toy. I recently had a re-issue Tracks take a dive, thank god he survived with only a small, small chip in robot mode.

Pascal
09-22-2008, 10:43 AM
My brother-in-law hit accidentally my $250 Studio Half Eye Shin Getter-2 figure on the shelf and it fell on the floor, breaking 3 fingers and a shoulder in the process. Took me hours to fix it and I haven't tried transforming it ever since.

astrana
09-22-2008, 11:12 AM
nothing really.. i almost dropped my sunstreaker from 6th floor while trying to take some pics

crimbot
09-22-2008, 11:31 AM
While re-arranging my shelves last year, my Galaxy Force Optimus Prime fell from the 4rth shelf and broke one of his wheels off.
Back when I still had my Grand Maximus, I fumbled with his sword and it plunged into my turtle tank below. The sticker looked like crap afterwards cause it got all wet. I still miss that Big Lug though.
On a non transformes note, my 18" movie maniacs Ash from Army of Darkness fell ad broke his chainsaw. I emailed McFarlane toys and they sent me a new one no charge:) That was a few years ago already.

Transbot90210
09-22-2008, 11:37 AM
I've only had two breaks.

Transmetal 2 Cheetor fell and the clip on the gun broke not allowing the missle to stay in place.

Energon Jetfire...exact same tale of woe.

Thanx
Transbot90210

Hound
09-22-2008, 12:20 PM
None yet, though there has been a few very close calls.

Nightshade83
09-22-2008, 12:26 PM
I managed to find a G1 Mirage at a flea market once. The plastic was so brittle, the first time I tried Transforming him to robot mode, one of the side panels on his arm snapped in half.

I managed to tape him together, but it still looks pretty bad.

Oh well. Along with missing a few tires and being covered with rust on his die-cast parts, he's worth percisely zip anyway.

GMfan
09-22-2008, 12:33 PM
Only broke one figure actually...Car Robots Midnight Express. That clear plastic is brittle as hell and his should peg snapped when I first TF'ed him. What really pissed me off was I had him for all of a day and was signed by the character's voice actor....

chans formers
09-22-2008, 02:09 PM
mother in law was vacuuming and neglected to see a pile of takara scf's i was reorganizing.to this day i still cant find the left leg and back cannon to my "metallic" g1 megatron or the head from deathczaraus.damn inlaws!!!

alexsaurus_rex
09-22-2008, 02:12 PM
My Alternator Sunstreaker took a dive off his shelf. The only real damage was to his gun. The hinge where the barrel attaches in mis-aligned now.

jourdo
09-22-2008, 02:47 PM
I broke Alternators Grimlock's door while trying to figure out the rubic's cube transformation. A little super glue later and he was fine.

I've had a few divers off the shelf, but nothing that could not be snapped back together. My rule of thumb, the more scared I am of something breaking, the lower on the shelf it generally goes. For example, MP Megatron is on the bottom shelf as I don't trust that guy to stand by himself so when he does go down there "should" be minimal damage.

Mega-Prime 316
09-22-2008, 06:47 PM
Non Transformers, but I had built a Enterprise 1701-D with the light kit in it. It was Christmas Eve and I was showing my GF at the time and it took a nose dive off my sheflf and shattered all the lights inside and the saucer section skidded across my floor, much like it did in the movie "Generations"! I was pissed! ;)

J.Soundwave
09-22-2008, 08:10 PM
I broke Alternators Grimlock's door while trying to figure out the rubic's cube transformation. A little super glue later and he was fine.

I've had a few divers off the shelf, but nothing that could not be snapped back together. My rule of thumb, the more scared I am of something breaking, the lower on the shelf it generally goes. For example, MP Megatron is on the bottom shelf as I don't trust that guy to stand by himself so when he does go down there "should" be minimal damage.

Hahaha i find myself doing the same thing, stickin my more expensive figs in safer places. Thanks for the replies everyone, some funny and not so funny stories lol.

J.Soundwave
09-22-2008, 08:11 PM
Non Transformers, but I had built a Enterprise 1701-D with the light kit in it. It was Christmas Eve and I was showing my GF at the time and it took a nose dive off my sheflf and shattered all the lights inside and the saucer section skidded across my floor, much like it did in the movie "Generations"! I was pissed! ;)

Was the "then GF" mean enough to laugh at you? haha...

QuadESL63
09-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Here's one: One day when I was looking at my CM Corp Genesic Gao Gai Gar it looked a bit funny. It turns out one of knee-join has snapped under pressure :( It is a well known design flaw :mad:

Another: I dropped my SoC Volts V from the top shelf down to the floor once :eek: Luckily, nothing broke, not even a scratch, thanks to the carpeted floor in my old collection room.

BTW, I just broke my TF Animated Blitzwing :rolleyes: That little black round connector knob thing on one of the wings broke off, even with the screw/nail that hold it in place. I super-glued it back... hope it will hold.

I still have most of my (original-box-less) collections in boxes after our West to East move. The thought of what will be in store for me when I open these up later :( always send a shudder down my spine.

Spacemonkey
09-22-2008, 08:48 PM
My Hasbro MP Starscream (in jet mode on is base) fell from the top of my computer desk (4.5 feet fall) and the only things that broke were the two small tips on the back of the two tail fins. Fortunatly, i didn't lose those little bits and i did the repair. It still visible but at least, Screamer remains complete. It happened only one week after receiving him

Bountyan
09-22-2008, 09:36 PM
I was playing around with my Classics Jetfire (lol)
and I accidentally broke an antenna on his helmet, but only about halfway. Now I never use him, since the helmet is so delicate. I tried superglue but didn't work well.

exoskeleton
09-22-2008, 11:54 PM
I broke Movie Bonecrushers arm off, and glued it back on with super glue,.. now hes stuck in robo modo

Magnus
09-23-2008, 07:55 AM
My Hasbro MP Starscream (in jet mode on is base) fell from the top of my computer desk (4.5 feet fall) and the only things that broke were the two small tips on the back of the two tail fins. Fortunatly, i didn't lose those little bits and i did the repair. It still visible but at least, Screamer remains complete. It happened only one week after receiving him

Same happened to my MP Skywarp. But only one tail fin tip broke off. Never found the piece though, so I couldn't fix it.

tilallr1
09-23-2008, 08:16 AM
Lots of them. My worst one was last night as I was transforming and packing away my minty Shockwave. The lower arm where his laser canon is just popped off. Dammit.

Nocturn
09-23-2008, 09:42 AM
Lotsa falls... nothing's broken yet.

Iron Moose
09-23-2008, 11:46 AM
I just opened a Sideswipe reissue. To the best of my knowledge, it has not been dropped. But the clear ring holding the roof/windshield had shattered into at least three pieces.

onecoin
09-23-2008, 11:54 AM
My brother-in-law hit accidentally my $250 Studio Half Eye Shin Getter-2 figure on the shelf and it fell on the floor, breaking 3 fingers and a shoulder in the process. Took me hours to fix it and I haven't tried transforming it ever since.

Wow. That was nice of you to try to "fix" your Brother-in-Law. I wouldn't bring him to the hospital either. Too may questions. But if you showed them your toy, I am sure they would have understood. Still I would have broken more on him. 3 fingers seems like a slap on the wrist.

Batman
09-23-2008, 06:26 PM
Look at my signature. I scored a micromaster Devastator off ebay a couple months back and the day I opened them, I broke the left leg peg on the hip my second time transforming him. I managed to fix it with a screw I had from a junker Downshift, and it actually works better than the original peg, but it still bothers me.

Mega-Prime 316
09-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Was the "then GF" mean enough to laugh at you? haha...
LOL! Actually she looked kinda like a deer caught in headlights, said nothing and went to the living room. :rolleyes:

down_shift
09-23-2008, 07:37 PM
I broke Botcon Dreadwings Jetfire mask.

... I mean... anyone wanna buy my C10 Botcon Dreadwing...:p

S.A.A.M.
09-23-2008, 08:38 PM
One of the stupidest things I've ever done was put a floating shelf right above my office door. Futurama figures are constantly commiting suicide.

As far as TFs go, I've been lucky.

Shepp
09-24-2008, 07:00 PM
I've had Titanium GIJOE Megatron take out many figures on multiple occasions. Few of my Transformers actually fell because the shelves were so packed up with figures that the domino effect meant they were all resting on each other. Usually it was only a couple of figures on the front row that would take a dive.

Another event had figures comitting suicide off the shelves when my father was hammering something on the outside of the house. They'd all nudge forward ever so slightly with each hit, and then eventually one would fall. Then another, and another.

I wasn't in the room, but I heard a crash and went running. Luckily nothing was broken.

One time Unicron himself took a dive off of my dresser ontp my bed when he was completely loaded up with Minicons.

FatCat
09-25-2008, 03:29 PM
My Yamato VF-1S took a spill off the top my shelf and broke 2 of the 4 head lasers...sucks cuz now all my Macross stuff is on the bottom shelf to make sure that doesn't happen again..

Protoman
09-25-2008, 10:34 PM
Only one that broke due to falling...... RIP Transmetal Megatron....... Your brown plastic was your curse.