PDA

View Full Version : Animated Snarl

tusko
08-22-2008, 02:22 PM
Is animated Snarl (The Triceratops) worth getting? I got Jazz from that wave.... but wasn't too thrilled with the others in that selection (Oilslick, Snarl and Soundwave). Now I think all the animated toys have been awesome but I'm kinda reserving funds for Galvatron and Ironhide.

What are your thoughts on what to get... more Universe or more Animated?

SPLIT LIP
08-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Snarl is great. The instructions are kinda misleading, so figuring out exactly how everything works in bot mode is difficult the first time, but then it's obvious. He's very fun and has great character in his sculpt. If you had to get just one Dinobot, let it be Snarl.

Magnimus
08-22-2008, 02:28 PM
No way. He's no good. Snarl's legs don't stay together, he has very little usuable articulation in either mode, his weapon doesn't store anywhere, he's full of gaps in robot mode, and the triceratops head on his chest looks like a pile of junk on a hinge.

Unless you want to keep him for display in dino-mode, I don't think he's worth it.

Oil Slick is actually an awesome figure. Great articulation, fun transformation, a unique look -- he's great.

tusko
08-22-2008, 02:31 PM
Better than swoop and Grimlock?

tusko
08-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Magnimus: Jazz vs. Oilslick.... what say you?

Magnimus
08-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Magnimus: Jazz vs. Oilslick.... what say you?

Oilslick. When Jazz is transformed into his car mode, it is very hard to keep his doors flush with the body of the car. Oilslick transforms into the motorcycle without a hitch or hint of his robot mode. Also, Oilslick's chain weapon is quite long whereas Jazz's nuncucks are very small. They have no range. Finally, in robot mode, Jazz's carhood chest has the habit of lifting up over his head when you move his shoulder articualtion. There is nothing holding the hood/chest down. Oilslick doesn't have such problems.

I never planned to get Oilslick, but he turned out to be my favorite figure of that wave. He's odd for a transformer, but a great toy where it counts.

tusko
08-22-2008, 02:38 PM
Oilslick. When Jazz is transformed into his car mode, it is very hard to keep his doors flush with the body of the car. Oilslick transforms into the motorcycle without a hitch or hint of his robot mode. Also, Oilslick's chain weapon is quite long whereas Jazz's nuncucks are very small. They have no range. Finally, in robot mode, Jazz's carhood chest has the habit of lifting up over his head when you move his shoulder articualtion. There is nothing holding the hood/chest down. Oilslick doesn't have such problems.

I never planned to get Oilslick, but he turned out to be my favorite figure of that wave. He's odd for a transformer, but a great toy where it counts.

I'll check it out. I agree that Jazz's chest flips up, however I have no problems with alignment in car mode. Maybe you don't have the shoulders pushed in properly. My only transformation issue with Jazz is that there is very little clearance for when the lower legs fold out.

Pascal
08-22-2008, 03:52 PM
Yes, he's worth it. He has a cool transformation and looks good in both modes.

SPLIT LIP
08-22-2008, 03:58 PM
he's full of gaps in robot mode, and the triceratops head on his chest looks like a pile of junk on a hinge.Then you're not transforming him right. Every thing lines up[ nice and clean when done properly. I remember thinking the same until I saw what I was doing wrong.

Jazz is good. I don't know about Magnimus, but mine is flush in car mode and the chest peice is tight enough not to always flip up. Technically only one of Jazz's nunchuk's is short. The other's the proper length. (nunchuk's aren't supposed to be super long like Magnimus implies)

brr-icy
08-22-2008, 04:00 PM
i love him, awesome fig, after you figure out how to get his dino head into the right spot, there's very few gaps

tusko
08-22-2008, 04:41 PM
So as I said, I'm generally impressed with the animated toys.

But are they better than the Universe toys? Snarl vs. Galvatron? Sideswipe vs. Oilslick? Ironhide vs Soundwave?

CTO15
08-22-2008, 06:59 PM
I like to keep him in dino mode

ohnaji
08-22-2008, 10:13 PM
Snarl's a mediocre figure in my opinion. My biggest gripe is its scale. He's small in relation to Grimlock and its size looks less impressive compared to other animated DLXs. The articulation isn't great in robot mode and is only slightly better as a dino.
He's not my favourite figure, but he's worth a purchase if only to complete the set of animated Dinobots.

GMfan
08-23-2008, 12:57 AM
Look at it this way, at least he has more articulation then the original G1 Slag :P

Stoneclaw
08-23-2008, 02:50 AM
I like the new snarl, his legs stay together with a bit of nail polish, just rub some on let it dry for a while and it sticks a bit better

Beats Voyager animated megs if you ask me....his guns kinda wonky

CobraCommander
08-23-2008, 07:30 AM
I like him, better dino than Grimlock. I like playing with him more than the other 3x from that wave. Someone else mentioned that you can store his cheeto in his mouth looking like a flame, works for me :D

Network
08-23-2008, 07:50 AM
snarl was the only fig from the wave that i didn't much care for. the only dino I plan on getting is Grimlock and I have already done that.

snarl just looks too...stumpy for my liking.

I agree that oil slick is my fave out of animated right now. I totally didn't expect it as I was more pumped for soundwave and jazz, but their transformations are kinda akward and time consuming. whereas oil slick is quick yet, complex enough to be interesting. the only thing on him that I *kinda* don't like is the gap on the front wheel. you can see the hinges for his fingers.

Magnimus
08-23-2008, 11:07 AM
Then you're not transforming him right.

Here is Snarl transformed.

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/2774/n72604350376911587037zw2.th.jpg (http://img168.imageshack.us/my.php?image=n72604350376911587037zw2.jpg)

Maybe gaps isn't the right word. I should have said HOLES. He is full of holes. On either side of his neck, for example. I just don't like how it looks. If that's mistransformed, you tell me how to do it correctly.

Pascal
08-23-2008, 11:24 AM
TONS and TONS of Transformers are full of "holes". It's not something new.

astrana
08-23-2008, 11:26 AM

true not to mention some of the transformers with weird alt forms. u cant compare every line to alternator/binaltechs

Magnimus
08-23-2008, 12:31 PM

Who said it was new? *looks around* Anyone? Anyone?

I just don't like how it looks. It makes the figure look half-arsed; therefore, it contributes to my personal dislike for Snarl.

Pascal
08-23-2008, 12:35 PM
I think you're just hating Snarl a little bit too much. :) He's really not that bad.

Magnimus
08-23-2008, 01:16 PM
I think you're just hating Snarl a little bit too much. :) He's really not that bad.

I don't hate him, I just don't think he's a very well designed or put together toy. Hopefully the other dinobots aren't as disappointing.

Sureshot22
08-23-2008, 05:02 PM
well i agree hes not great. not too bad. but the others being better.. well grimlok i like other then his tansformation is really too simple. and i HATE his gorilla arms. they really should have made it so they collapse into themselves more to shorten them.

but overall i love the animated line.. SW kinda sucks also... which is upsetting since he always was one of my fav chars..:(

Nocturn
08-23-2008, 05:33 PM
I just got him, he's pretty cool, lots of articulation.

Stoneclaw
08-23-2008, 05:34 PM
I like snarl, he kinda represents what a triceretops would look like. Short stocky, low to the ground, hes my favorite snarl to date but thats my opinion :P