Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 05-14-2014, 01:59 PM   #6211
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero
Re: BC Community Thread For Non-Sightings Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by carissa View Post
Jere, if you're gonna be at Metrocon, yes please to the Con symbols! I have a symbol-less Prime Megatron. Which is just .... wrong for the leader not to have a faction insignia.

Roger that, Bravo Leader!!!

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #6212
kirbenvost
Fortress Maximus

Haha that's cute.

Pharma from Starscream is a cool idea!

No idea what's up with the do not sell stuff either. Probably just employees not paying attention.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:50 PM   #6213
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwankenobi View Post
To this day I do not regret selling off that P.O.S. toy.
But you can easily reenact this scene with MP-09 Hot Rod(imus)

Old 05-14-2014, 03:17 PM   #6214
kirbenvost
Fortress Maximus

I like Rodimus. Maybe it's because of his go-getter attitude or the fact that he's a flaming red sports car. IDW Rodimus is a total jackass, but I think poor ol' G1 Roddy gets a bad rap.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:24 PM   #6215
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

And now we can also partly reenact a certain scene from the movie with MP-09, MP-10, MP-22..
Old 05-14-2014, 03:52 PM   #6216
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

I love Hot Rod and loathe Rodimus Prime. He actually reminds me of a particularly hard time in my life.

Leading up to the movie's release back in '86 I was a 13 year latchkey kid that used to bus from Coquitlam to Oak Street to visit my dad who was rehabilitating at GF Strong after a near-deadly car accident. One of the things I looked forward to on my 3 hour ride was transferring on Hastings where I would hungrily press my nose against this toy store's display window located close to Save On Meats. Therein resided exotic new Autobots and Decepticons from the upcoming movie and the standout was this red futuristic sports car and what looked like his older brother (father?) that turned into the infamous Winnebago.

I finally got to see TFTM at the old underground cinemas at Lougheed Mall and recall walking out of the movie truly stunned since it mirrored my life in many ways. Optimus was dead (my childhood), Hot Rod was no more (my youthful idealism and wonder), and now Rodimus Prime was in charge (my forced adulthood as the new man of the house while my father learned to walk and talk again and my mother coped with losing the man she married even though he survived).

Years later I finally did pickup G1 Hot Rod, passed on G1 Rodimus Prime, picked up Classics Rodimus and the Protector Armour (which I later sold) and even picked up his Masterpiece version (sold that too).

After all these years it turns out all I wanted back in the end was just my youthful idealism and wonder.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:10 PM   #6217
kirbenvost
Fortress Maximus

Man. That's kinda depressing. But I know what you mean. I think most of us long for the simplicity and relatively carefree days of childhood. Interesting that you can assign those feelings to certain characters or toys. Sorry that happened to your father. I've never had to experience anything quite so difficult and tragic, closest is my brother being bed-ridden for a year so his fractured neck could heal, all because of his idiot former friend being a reckless driver.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:29 PM   #6218
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

No worries Commander, thanks. Yeah, that all happened so long ago its more like an echo in the past now. Today my father is a 76 year old with one leg that's shorter than the other, a crescent moon scar on the side of his head with no short term memory and the emotional maturity of a pre-teen. He's a hit with his grandkids (my kids). Kinda like a larger, slower, stronger child (dude's a 3rd degree black belt!!!). My mother's still around too. We steered that ship straight into the waves and got through. It's only now I can look back and casually talk about it all. In the thick of it was just life and we just dealt with it. Indeed Transformers for me, particularly the '86 movie, often serves as markers that allow me to look back so I can find a clearer path forward now that I'm a parent too.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:14 PM   #6219
carissa
Energon

If the Pharma from Starscream works, I'll post up photos and depending on availability of the toy I can make extras for people. The hardest part will be covering the reddish-orange with white. And I'm thinking I'll use a rattle-can of gloss white to achieve this.

Anyhow..... almost time to head out to school to pick up the bitlet from Kindergarten. I've been trying something new in the kitchen today and making mint-lime syrup for virgin mojitos.

(Thank god I don't have my address posted on here or some of you might be at my door with a bottle of rum in hand hehehe)
carissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:47 PM   #6220
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Quote:
I've been trying something new in the kitchen today and making mint-lime syrup for virgin mojitos.
On my way with a 26er of Bacardi Silver!!!

Quote:
(Thank god I don't have my address posted on here or some of you might be at my door with a bottle of rum in hand hehehe)
Erm...nevermind .

On a drunkenly related note I had the best mint julep at Ouisi Bistro with my wife before the matinee performance of Spamalot! last Sunday. Great show despite numerous technical difficulties and its always great to watch friends perform something they truly love to perform. I loved that Eric Idle incorporated such essential Monty Python classics like the Fish Slap Dance and Always Look on the Bright Side of Life (from The Life of Brian).

Though I still prefer the movie over the musical. To those who say otherwise, I fart in your general direction!!!

Last edited by jjwankenobi; 05-14-2014 at 06:06 PM.