Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 02-02-2024, 03:32 AM   #31
The Nemesis
Alternator
Re: Most Regrettable Purchase?

I've been lucky in that since I don't go in for the REALLY expensive stuff (MP, 3rd party, much older lines that you have to pay crazy secondary markup prices for) and most of my collecting is mainline CHUG means I don't have massive sticker shock regrets.

trying to think back, I believe my first regrettable purchase when I got back into collecting around PotP was its Inferno, a redress of CW Hot Spot. I just remember getting home and thinking that while the vehicle mode was cool it felt very clumsy and didn't stay together very well and looked so unlike Inferno that it wasn't all that fun. Even before I knew it was just the previous Hot Spot figure colored red and given a new head I looked at it and thought "this feels more like Hot Spot than Inferno." Funnily enough as much as I disliked the figure I ended up buying that same mold Hot Spot from a collector store some time later mostly because the original Hot Spot was one of my childhood figures and so I have an irrational attachment to it and a hope that maybe one day I'll finally get a Protectobots set (haven't found the CW versions available for a price I'd consider personally reasonable). And even though Hot Spot has many of the same technical issues I had with the inferno version, I don't dislike it the same way.

more recently I was super disappointed after buying Legacy Shadow Striker. I just really hate how the arms are attached to the backpack car kibble instead of the bot torso. It looks weird and impacts articulation and posability in awkward ways. It's one of the first figures where I've taken it out of the package, transformed to both modes once, put it back to vehicle mode, and have it sitting aside to go into my storage box the next time I take something to the room where I store my non-displayed stuff. Maybe at some point I'll come around but right now I feel like I'll just end up leaving it in the box and never taking it out again.

I've always kind of regretted PotP Evolutions Rodimus too.The Hot Rod figure was fine but Rodimus was too massive compared to other things in the line and the awkward setup where he doesn't have shoulders because they're formed from Hot Rod's legs really limit what you can do with his arms. I still sometimes take the Unicronus version out because I like the silly goatee styling but the other one has been totally usurped by Kingdom Rodimus and SS86 Hot Rod.
Old 02-02-2024, 09:34 AM   #32
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

TFCC Punch/Counterpunch. It's not that I regretted it so much, I paid the value of what it was going for it was the timing. I bought it and 2 weeks later the POTP version got announced. Granted I don't but CHUG stuff anymore but that one hurt a bit.
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 10:59 AM   #33
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwaves View Post
Was just doing some work in my basement and had to reorganize a bunch of my storage.

Was going through some of the bins of old stuff and found a classics Ironhide/Ratchet that still had the Ebay invoice where I paid 190.00 for it.

I was new to collecting, trying to complete the line and impatient.

This still stands out as the worst TF related purchase I have ever made from an overpaying for no good reason standpoint....

Anyone else bit the bullet on something they later regretted as the market value changed?
Appolyon.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 11:44 AM   #34
Skorpulator
Armada

Another regret: the recent auto-transforming Optimus Primal figure from the ROTB line. It just makes random noises and transforms by itself without no real logic, it gets old real quick.
Skorpulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 12:04 PM   #35
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

I do find it interesting how most responses (including mine) are regarding 3rd party toys. Retail figures (especially the ones we'd be replacing) don't cost as much, so one becoming irrelevant is not as big a loss as a 3p toy becoming irrelevant.

Plus them being cheaper makes them easier to resell to parents who just want cheap transformers for their kids.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 11:58 AM   #36
Skorpulator
Armada

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMegatron View Post
I do find it interesting how most responses (including mine) are regarding 3rd party toys.
Most if not all of them are old though. 3rd party toys were still in their infancy, quality was all over the place. Nowadays, most releases are really solid regardless of the company.
Skorpulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 02:02 PM   #37
Tyrannosaurus Rex
Machine War

One that immediately comes to mind is Legacy Road Rocket. I desired a new toy of the character for years and was quite excited when this one was revealed, but the mold is just not good. It doesn't pose well, the weapons are poor, torso has trouble locking in, head is too big for the body; frankly it doesn't really feel like Road Rocket to me. At the same time, can't say I wanna sell it cause I don't see them getting a new toy anytime soon haha.

Not TF but still Hasbro-related. I got the ML Spider-Man TAS Goblin & MJ 2-pack as part of the Pulse Season's savings event, and it's so bad. Goblin has no alt hands, no blast effect compatibility for his glider, and his elbow joints are extremely flimsy. MJ is basically a Barbie doll with limited posability and her hair isn't even sculpted accurately. It'll be going in the sale pile before long.
Old 02-03-2024, 02:34 PM   #38
Brian12
Machine War

I think it's the first JP collab set for me. I got it at TFCon thinking I'd never get the opportunity to again, and it admittedly does look really cool in packaging, but once I opened it I was disappointed to see JP93 feel so cheap and lame once I transformed him into bot mode, especially with his loose joints. Tyrannicon similarly looks great as a T-rex but her robot mode is just so barely painted it also looks so cheap.

I immediately had buyer's remorse shortly after getting em, thinkin I could've saved or spent the 160$ on something better. Didn't help that over time Amazon got way more of em and started sellin em for less than half that price.

So yeah, I think I'll wait for the new collab set to go down to half off or lower before even considering it. I usually make posts about my big figure purchases on twitter or instagram, proudly showing em off, but for the JP collab set I was just too embarrassed and ashamed of myself to do that.
Brian12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 04:24 PM   #39
Mike
Robot Master
Mike's Ebay Auctions

I regret nothing
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 09:58 PM   #40
Robbler
Machine War

A lot of stuff, actually. Mostly because I was getting it for the sake of it and now I can't give it away. Also bought Planet X Ratchet and Ironhide, which Ratchet broke right out of the box. Luckily BBTS was cool enough to refund the entire order. I don't even look at let alone touch the Ironhhide in fear he will break.