Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Canadian Transformers News

Old 03-04-2015, 03:41 PM   #11
The7thParallel
Nexus Maximus
Re: TRU - Mar 6-8 Transformers deluxe 1/2 off

It's quite simple. Buy four limbs that you already have. Returns are accepted for 45 days. When the second wave appears, exchange the limbs you have.

Ca y est.

Although the stores will argue with you and say that CW are not generations deluxes. Make sure you can find that text on the side to support you. They may still shoot you down as CW are $17.99 and the flyer says regular $16.99. They're trying to move old stock. Still, though, CW are generations deluxes and they should honour that price.

BTW, you can do this with the voyager figures as well that are on sale now. Buy one and swap for Motormaster when he comes out. OR, pay full price.

Last edited by The7thParallel; 03-04-2015 at 03:43 PM.
The7thParallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:08 PM   #12
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905soundwave View Post
http://flyers.smartcanucks.ca/canada...to-12/single/1

Generation Deluxes... sorry, missed the "Gen" part in the thread title.

for the remote chance they have anything in the store....
flyer says reg price 16.99, now for 8.47
This is awesome!
Thanks dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuffyprime View Post
will other stores price match this?
The trillion dollar question; in homage to Trillionaire Ted at the upcoming 80's Toy Expo!

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:10 PM   #13
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The7thParallel View Post
It's quite simple. Buy four limbs that you already have. Returns are accepted for 45 days. When the second wave appears, exchange the limbs you have.

Ca y est.

Although the stores will argue with you and say that CW are not generations deluxes. Make sure you can find that text on the side to support you. They may still shoot you down as CW are $17.99 and the flyer says regular $16.99. They're trying to move old stock. Still, though, CW are generations deluxes and they should honour that price.

BTW, you can do this with the voyager figures as well that are on sale now. Buy one and swap for Motormaster when he comes out. OR, pay full price.
Er, that's fraud.

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:23 PM   #14
The7thParallel
Nexus Maximus

No, it isn't. In what way? You buy something and then exchange it for an item of the same value later. Have you ever exchanged a Christmas present? Was THAT fraud? Bought a defective item and returned it? If I were stuffing another figure in the package and exchanging, I'd agree. If I bought it, opened it, played with it and then returned it you might have an argument, yet I can do that with a tv from future shop and return it within a month and get my full money back. Still not fraud.

I'm buying something and giving them money. It says on the receipt: exchange or return within 45 days. It's not fraud if it's their policy.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:29 PM   #15
Grimtron
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The7thParallel View Post

Ca y est.

Its unlikely the the CW deluxes will be reduced, since they cost 16.99 and the flyer mentions 16.99 deluxe figures. But if something happens and the price is reduced it be fair to get a price adjust.

Buying a silverbolt to exchange for motormaster sounds sketchy, like on the verge of fraud . But if that works out, I guess its the companies lost lol
Grimtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:39 PM   #16
The7thParallel
Nexus Maximus

My counter-argument still stands. If you bought silverbolt as a present and the receiver had it and went to the store to exchange it, choosing motormaster instead, would you have an issue? I doubt it, nor is it sketchy. It's returning one of something for another of the same thing.

I'm willing to be wrong on this, but I don't see a logical counter-argument.

Here's where I'm at: if during purchase you asked if you could exchange the item later, within the window, what would they say? 100% yes. They would point out their policy. It's why they offer rainchecks. So, if they say yes and the receipt tells you that you can do it then I don't see how it is sketchy, much less fraud.

I appreciate the point of view, however.

Last edited by The7thParallel; 03-04-2015 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:10 AM   #17
UltraPrimal
Canadian Slag

Yeah, that's fraud. You're gaming the system to benefit yourself. It's unfair to the retailer and other collectors. By buying something with the intention of returning it, you are messing up their inventory system. And trust me, as someone who used to work in retail for 10 years, inventory is a bitch. By returning that unwanted Silverbolt for the much more desirable Motormaster, you are giving Toys R Us dead inventory that is just going to sit on the shelf. Encumbering the store's ability to get new stock in and other fans' ability to buy that new stock.

In reality, it's not much better than than those people who buy a Transformer at regular price and then return the box with a toy from the dollar store inside. OR, let's say only movie deluxes were on sale. So you bought a movie deluxe and a CW deluxe and returned the movie deluxe in the CW packaging. "Well, they're both deluxes. They're both the same thing.", you say. Nope. Not the same at all.

If everyone were to abuse the return policy in this way, retailers would stop having a return policy. There is no law saying a retailer has to take back an item or offer you any sort of compensation, even it's broken or defective. Remember: you used to be able to return video games, CDs, DVDs, and other software. Then everyone and their mother started copying the data and returning the original to the store. Don't copy that floppy. Don't return that Silverbolt.

Last edited by UltraPrimal; 03-05-2015 at 12:14 AM.
UltraPrimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:21 AM   #18
The7thParallel
Nexus Maximus

I genuinely find this discussion interesting. I did a bit of research and this is what I have so far under the umbrella of 'return fraud'.

• Wardrobing or renting: Purchasing merchandise for short-term use with the intent to return the item, such as a dress for a special occasion, a video camera for graduations and weddings or a big-screen television for the Super Bowl.
  • Returning stolen merchandise: Shoplifting with the objective to return the item(s) for full price, plus any sales tax.
  • Receipt fraud: Utilizing reused, stolen or falsified receipts to return merchandise for profit. Alternatively, returning goods purchased on sale or from a different store at a lower price with the intention of profiting from the difference.
  • e-Receipt fraud: Utilizing e-receipts issued when purchasing goods online, but returning them in store, to return merchandise for profit. A variation of the receipt fraud using the e-receipts.
  • Employee fraud: Assistance from employees to return stolen goods for full retail price.
  • Price switching: Placing lower priced labels on merchandise with the intention of returning the item(s) at the higher price point.
  • Price arbitrage: Purchasing differently priced, but similar-looking merchandise and returning the cheaper item as the expensive one.
  • Switch fraud: Purchasing a working item, and returning a damaged or defective identical item that was already owned.
  • Cross-retailer return: Returning or exchanging an item purchased at another retailer (usually at a lower price) for cash, store credit or a similar, higher-priced item at another retailer.

It's all very interesting. The closest argument in favour of it being fraud is 'receipt fraud' though it still seems to suggest that something has been done to falsify information.

In the end, I don't believe that buying something and returning it is technically fraud, though UltraPrimal's argument has convinced me that it would be in the 'dick move' department.

Would people still feel the same way if an item was bought and exchanged at the same price point? Let's say you bought a figure but weren't sure you wanted to keep it (something that has happened to me) and then another came out and you swapped it for the same price. Fraud?

I know I started the whole discussion off with my suggestion though I've never actually done it myself. It just seemed like a good idea when I thought of it based on getting rainchecks for the CW figures in the early days of their release. I have 'em sitting in my coat pocket waiting for wave 2.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:33 AM   #19
laffy
Crossover

Only issue I see that ARNT cws 17.99 not 16.99 and if the site does not show the sale than walmart won't pricematch as they don't to 1/2 sales only sales with the price being cheaper. But I'll be praying for this other way
laffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:59 AM   #20
Prime Sinister
Animated

Toys R Us should really update their dated SKU number system. People can buy a Motormaster and return a Silverbolt since they have the same SKU. If Toys R Us switched to UPCs, this could not be done.
Prime Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote