Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-14-2021, 05:17 PM   #1
enforcedformula
Generation 1
enforcedformula's Ebay Auctions
Question Regarding collection downsizing

Hello!

I have been looking over my personal collection and have a bunch of figures I might want to sell. I have no idea how I would go about figuring out shipping costs, packing the figures etc. do any of you have any general tips or guidelines you would recommend(Box sizes, shipping cost tracking etc)?
enforcedformula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:22 PM   #2
UsernamePrime
G.I. Joe is better.
Re: Question Regarding collection downsizing

carriers, including canada post, have an online estimate tool that requires weight (just estimate if you have no scale but over estimate to be safe) and box measurements and postal codes. Ebay also has this and will sell you a shipping label based on the info given so you can simply drop it off to the chosen carrier for delivery.

people like air baggies and bubble wrap. failing that use a ziplock or bag to contain the loose figure/accessories and lots of scrunched up paper to act as box padding.

boxes sizes are entirely up to whats being packed to be shipped, try going to a grocery store to pick up boxes for free from the big pile sometimes found at the tills.

Last edited by UsernamePrime; 06-14-2021 at 05:26 PM.
UsernamePrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:30 PM   #3
evenstaves
you renegade maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernamePrime View Post
people like air baggies and bubble wrap. failing that use a ziplock or bag to contain the loose figure/accessories and lots of scrunched up paper to act as box padding.

boxes sizes are entirely up to whats being packed to be shipped, try going to a grocery store to pick up boxes for free from the big pile sometimes found at the tills
^ this

At our place we keep a bunch of the various boxes & airbags/stuffing from (say) Amazon purchases; a big pile for when we have to send anything out

Re-using the materials, if they are good/worth re-using
evenstaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:32 PM   #4
andersox
Beasty

Keep your boxes and bubble wrap from Amazon. I use those to ship.
In terms of cost I usually use eBay or a quick check online. And canadapost for shipping) these days it’s minimum $15ish for a boxed figure.
At the end of the day it all comes down to:
1) are you trying to make money
2) are you trying to clear up space

That will really set the price point for me. (2 wins out 99% for me)
andersox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:41 PM   #5
cr3d1t
Beast Machine

As said above, use Canada Post's estimation tool. Also important is to get an inexpensive scale like the one suggested at the Wirecutter. https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...kitchen-scale/

At home, we use the recommended scale and CP's estimation tool and have never gotten the shipping price wrong.

If you want to save on shipping, get a Canada Post business account. My wife has one mostly for shipping her Cabbage Patch Kids dolls. The account is free, shipping costs are cheaper than regular price off-the-bat and you get more discounts the more you ship.
Old 06-14-2021, 06:12 PM   #6
enforcedformula
Generation 1
enforcedformula's Ebay Auctions

Thank You so much!

I have some amazon boxes I was delaying breaking down so now I have a use for them! I actually sell Trading cards on Ebay and am very aware of letter mail, so this info on bigger sizes is great!
enforcedformula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:18 PM   #7
Nocturn
Previously Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersox View Post
At the end of the day it all comes down to:
1) are you trying to make money
2) are you trying to clear up space

That will really set the price point for me. (2 wins out 99% for me)

100% this. Sometimes I get hung up on how much I paid for a figure and feel like I want to get every dollar back, but I find that while this is usually possible, it slows down the process a lot. If you care more about the space, or don't want to sit on stuff for sale for months/years, just list everything on the cheap and you'll move it out quickly.

Sure the figure may have cost me $15 in the first place, but if I don't sell it, then I still have the figure and $0. So I end up looking at it as "how many dollars would I rather have, than keeping this figure". That amount usually isn't very high for things I've already decided to be rid of.

Last edited by Nocturn; 06-14-2021 at 06:21 PM.
Nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:28 PM   #8
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by enforcedformula View Post
Hello!

I have been looking over my personal collection and have a bunch of figures I might want to sell. I have no idea how I would go about figuring out shipping costs, packing the figures etc. do any of you have any general tips or guidelines you would recommend(Box sizes, shipping cost tracking etc)?
Reality is with Canada Post these days no parcel is going for under 15. I usually don't ticky tack with price, just rough estimate and if I eat a couple bucks so what. Save any Amazon or other delivery boxes. Plastic grocery bags are good but make sure any loose toys are in sealed ziplocs.

GO TO THE DOLLAR STORE. You can get all your packing supplies there for cheap.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote